PDA

View Full Version : Could the Undertakers streak have been better?

jamesyboybell
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
With Takers streak maybe/probably not coming to an end at WM26, does anyone else feel that the WWE have held back somewhat in the opponents he's beaten? I know he's beaten some of the big names in the company but, in my opinion, he never got to go over THE man of the moment.

Think about it - in the early 90's there was no Mania win over Hogan/Savage/Warrior. Then came the attitude era and even though he went over Triple H, he never got Austin or The Rock who were the real main eventers of that time. And now, with only a few years left in him (if even) they have given him a past his best HBK 2 years in a row. Everyone knows that Cena is the poster boy these days so does Taker now deserve to take on Superman at Wrestlemania?

addy2hotty
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
If you want the Streak to be over, then he faces Cena at Mania!

As Cena could overcome The Streak with some attitude adjustment!

Yeah!

Joesgonnakillyou
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Of all the people that could have been treated better, Taker is last on the list.

Xero
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Of all the people that could have been treated better, Taker is last on the list.

Shawn's below Taker in that regard. Taker's not a trouble maker, Shawn got away with so much bullshit it's ridiculous.

The Franchise
02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Orton's gotta be pretty high on that list too

Xero
02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Won't be on Michaels' level until he drops the belt by claiming he's lost his voices.

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Or until he refuses to drop the belt on his way out the door when he's injured, to a guy who is on the cusp of being the biggest star ever in the most dire times.

I would argue that the whole Wrestlemania 14 story is the most ridiculous of them all. even suggesting that he retain the title at Wrestlemania 14, knowing he couldn't wrestle anymore, and given the circumstances of Austin as the clear top guy who hasn't won yet. Not to mention the fact that it was the biggest show of the year, and the company was at a huge crossroads.

Thank God for Taker.

Xero
02-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Did Shawn have a plan for the title? I've never heard of one, just that story.

Would he have retired with the belt?

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm sure he wasn't putting much thought into it other than just being a dick and not wanting to let go of it.

He probably would have just tried to hold onto it for longer, claiming he could keep wrestling, and probably would have just told Vince one day that he couldn't wrestle anymore and relinquish it

Xero
02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Probably.

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Shawn has always been loyal, but sometimes I wonder if he would have gone to WCW if he didn't have to hang it up in 98.

He obviously was in a frame of mind where he could have done it. If he stuck around, he obviously wouldn't have been the top guy anymore and I can't imagine him liking that very much.

Favre4Ever
02-25-2010, 05:37 PM
The Big Show/ A-Train handicap match is the streak's most obvious flaw. However that aside, there have been high quality matches essentially ever since that happened.

As for your comparisons to the stars he has faced, in more recent years his 'Mania matches have obviously been more about the streak and less about the gold. And the top names that you mention are just about always involved with the gold.

Favre4Ever
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Flair, Orton, Edge, Batista, Michaels, Triple H...streak seems fine to me.

James Steele
02-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Shawn has always been loyal, but sometimes I wonder if he would have gone to WCW if he didn't have to hang it up in 98.

He obviously was in a frame of mind where he could have done it. If he stuck around, he obviously wouldn't have been the top guy anymore and I can't imagine him liking that very much.

I don't think Shawn Michaels would have allowed himself not to be "the top guy" talent-wise. He would have still busted his ass to prove he was the best.

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
No matter how much he busted his ass, he wouldn't have been above Stone Cold in 1998.
He wasn't before he left, and he was busting his ass.

The Franchise
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah Michaels would not have topped Austin in 98 or Rock in 2000. No one could

James Steele
02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
HE HAD A BROKING FUCKING BACK THANKS TO THE UNDERTAKER. FFS

James Steele
02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah Michaels would not have topped Austin in 98 or Rock in 2000. No one could

"DREAM. BELIEVE. ACHIEVE!" - Shawn Michaels

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
It's not like I'm not a huge fan of Shawn Michaels. I'm just realistic

Jeritron
02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Also, if Shawn stayed around it's highly likely that HHH wouldn't have come into his own the way he did.

Maybe they would have done something with him, but he never would have been the leader of DX and gotten over as a face the way he did.
Also, that never would have been parlayed into The Game gimmick.

Plus with Shawn still active, that's one less main event spot. In the wake of Shawn and Bret, those spots went to Rock and Foley, and eventually HHH.

Shawn is one of my favorite wrestlers of alltime, but him taking a hiatus worked out for the best for everyone involved.

James Steele
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
In all honesty, if HBK hadn't gotten hurt and forced to retire...he'd probably have died by now.

Skippord
02-26-2010, 02:19 AM
The Undertaker saved Shawn Michaels' life

Loose Cannon
02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
well the WWE really didn't start pushing it as a "streak" until what? WM 20 or something. So before then they weren't really trying to put his Mania matches as part of the streak angle. But in saying that, he's still has had an array of top opponents starting from WM 7

Innovator
02-26-2010, 10:38 AM
well the WWE really didn't start pushing it as a "streak" until what? WM 20 or something. So before then they weren't really trying to put his Mania matches as part of the streak angle. But in saying that, he's still has had an array of top opponents starting from WM 7
I remember him holding up all 10 fingers after beating Flair, after that the streak was getting mentioned

Jordan
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Okay just talking Wrestlemania exclusively lets take a look so I can show you how wrong you are...

Snuka - One of the biggest faces in WWF history, was still very popular at the time
Snake - Again another massively over star.
Gonzalez - Even though he was horrible in the ring he was huge and WWE hyped him like Andre 2.0, so in kayfabe that was a huge match.
Bundy - Eh, this one was bad booking IMO
Diesel - Awesome match and of course Diesel is a pretty worthy opponent.
Sid - Sid was over, pushed as one of the main guys, obviously over enough to main event Wrestlemania.
Kane - This was Takers best storyline up to this point so I hardly think this was a bad way to go.
Bossman - The match made sense, it was just a wreck. Bad execution or booking.
Triple H - Huge star
Flair - Perfect build and match
Big Show and A - Train - Bad booking should have just been against Show.
Kane - This was a little lazy I think, not the worst choice but not the best.
Orton - Great build, great match. Another Undertaker WM Classic.
Henry - Liked the Casket being brought back, and Henry was in the midst of getting a push. I like Henry now, at this point it didn't work that well.
Batista - How much bigger can it get?
Edge - See above
HBK - See above

I hardly think Taker has had problems with his streak. It is one of the best things WWE has ever came up with.

Fox
02-27-2010, 02:23 AM
If Undertaker faced the biggest names in the company at WrestleMania; if he faced Stone Cold at WrestleMania XV, or Lesnar at XIX, or Cena or Batista at 21, there would be no streak at all. Those guys were in the main event doing the programs they were doing because they were the top guys and they were getting put over at WrestleMania. If Undertaker faced those guys, he would need to go down, and there would be no streak at all. If you're suggesting he should've continued his streak against those types throughout his career, you're insane. Undertaker is good, but he's never been THE GUY for the WWE. He's a fucking zombie for Christ's sake.