PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Island

Stickman
02-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe I don't know how to search but is there seriously not a thread on Shutter Island? Really good movie, what'd you guys think?

BigDaddyCool
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
It was ok, if not obvious.

Nark Order
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Hate movies with endings like that. Why try to trick everybody? LOLZ IT WAS NEVER REALZ.

Stickman
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I was actually wishing that "twist" didn't happen.

RoXer
02-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Why did I just click that tag? God I'm fucking retarded sometimes I swear to god.

RoXer
02-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Narc, you gotta post it in a spoiler tag that is giant and says "HEY ROXER DON'T FUCKING CLICK THIS YOU IDIOT".

Absolutley unacceptable from you Narc. :nono: :n:

RoXer
02-26-2010, 04:11 PM
gunna neg rep you

Jeritron
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
I was dissapointed. I'm sure there's a lot of love for this movie purely because of who directed it, which is a shame.
I have, however, seen that it's gotten mixed reviews so at least people aren't all drinking the kool aid.

For a good amount of the movie, I was digging it. It was great for a while, but then it descended into a mess.
It wasn't even so much that I had a problem with a twist ending, as it was that the movie lost control, focus, and reason. The ending also completely comprimises the entire plot beforehand, which is problematic if you examine it. It was all planned out, including the inclement weather?

Anyways, I digress. There are plenty of stretches to be had. But the main problem was how drawn out the twist was. Also, it was so overdone that they literally had to have a character lecture it with visual aids.
It was also lame how characters were being thrown onto the pile every 20 minutes for no reason other than to pop-up and give 10 minutes of exposition, and then leave the movie completely. Really lazy.

It also kills all the work done to establish the characters. I couldn't care less about anyone's sanity or real motives at that point because the entire thing was switched on me. I feel the movie lacked identity, and had a great story and tone that was thrown away for shock value.

It's a shame really, because there was a great movie in there somewhere. Leo was great, and Martin Scorcese had command over it for a while, but the overdone plot and twist took a potentially great thriller and shit on it.

jerichoholicninja
02-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I loved it but I agree with a lot of what Jeritron said.

Buzzkill
02-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Yeah I haven't seen this yet, but I was definitely skeptical when I heard about it.

While Dennis LeHane is the man, the book was definitely just OK.

The movie looks to be terrifically photographed, though

jerichoholicninja
02-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah I haven't seen this yet, but I was definitely skeptical when I heard about it.

While Dennis LeHane is the man, the book was definitely just OK.

The movie looks to be terrifically photographed, though

The cinematography is great and Martin throws in a lot of little visual elements that are important to the story but not so important that if you miss them it will matter.

Blue Demon
03-01-2010, 08:05 AM
It was all planned out, including the inclement weather?

To be fair on this one...did they not have weather updates in the 50's? So they could've planned it during this time because they knew the storm was coming to give them the excuse that he couldn't leave.

Favre4Ever
03-01-2010, 07:09 PM
This movie was great for an hour or so. I was really interested in his past and the developing plot-line of Shutter Island itself...however, as soon as he went into the lighthouse and it was a regular lighthouse, I hated every second of everything else that followed. How fucking unoriginal. What a load of shit. But what sucks even more is that even after they reveal the twist, the movie continues for another 30 minutes and you just have to sit there and deal with it.

However, I will say this. The hours of mocking the movie with my friends I saw it with that followed might have been worth the ten dollars. Pretty sad though; like the Village, here's another movie that had great potential only to be horribly butchered.

Favre4Ever
03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Definitely wishing I had seen "The Crazies" instead.

Jon Kano
03-01-2010, 07:17 PM
No you don't. The Crazies is pretty tame, unoriginal and brings nothing new or different to the table, even if it is just a 'horror to watch' or whatever.

so glad I didn't pay to get in.

Champion of Europa
03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Shutter Island was brilliant. After a second viewing it becomes a whole different movie. It's such a heartbreaker.

Favre4Ever
03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
I can see how it would be more interesting the second time through knowing the twist and spotting small things you didn't notice before.......it still seems like a real lame way to cop out of a good movie.

Champion of Europa
03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I didn't enjoy it because of the twist and how it worked with the movie upon second viewing, although those things did help.

I appreciated how the story worked for me on an emotional level. DiCaprio's nightmares created a sense of discomfort and fear for his slipping sanity. His increasingly paranoid journey to find out what's going on on The Island really worked for me, too. I felt like the odds were against him and whenever a wrench was thrown into the works, I felt on edge.

Most importantly, the flashback scene at the end was horrifying and heartbreaking. It all just worked and brought me into the lives of the characters.

I don't consider this a horror movie that's all about the twist, but an emotional movie about the sadness of coping with loss.

jerichoholicninja
03-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I didn't enjoy it because of the twist and how it worked with the movie upon second viewing, although those things did help.

I appreciated how the story worked for me on an emotional level. DiCaprio's nightmares created a sense of discomfort and fear for his slipping sanity. His increasingly paranoid journey to find out what's going on on The Island really worked for me, too. I felt like the odds were against him and whenever a wrench was thrown into the works, I felt on edge.

Most importantly, the flashback scene at the end was horrifying and heartbreaking. It all just worked and brought me into the lives of the characters.

I don't consider this a horror movie that's all about the twist, but an emotional movie about the sadness of coping with loss.

The last flashback was very powerful. It really explains a lot about Teddy. It makes you feel bad for him and understand why he is the way he is.

Blitz
03-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Was a good flick. However,
guessed the twist about a half hour in. It would've helped if it wasn't clear from pretty much the first shot that Daniels was absolutely insane. I usually don't have a problem with Leo DiCaprio, but his acting telegraphed it like crazy. What I really would've liked is if they reversed it all, and revealed that the whole thing was an experiment to turn a sane guy crazy. All that said, I found the ending kind of brilliant, the last line in particular.

BigDaddyCool
03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I kinda guessed the ending after the first flash back and seeing the previews. This is why I usually don't like serious movies...because I can figure them out and get bored by them. I wish I was smarter to be able to enjpy the nuance or dumber so I couldn't guess the ending 5 minutes in and be honestly surprised.