PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Premonition

#BROKEN Hasney
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
I was playing this Thursday night at a friends and I had so much joy with it. I've holded off the thread because I can't put into words why it's so fantastic. I have found someone who could though after reading a review on Destructoid, but before that, just a quick story.

There was this game on PS1 I rented once called Off-World Interceptor Extreme. God it was terrible. Made by 3D0 (there's your mark of quality), it was a car based shooter where you just blast everything. The live-action cutscenes were even worse... Except for one point...

Clearly, someone knew how bad the cutscenes wereand they inserted a silouette of 2 people watching the cutscenes and ripping them to pieces, MST3K style. It was hilarious and I finished that damn game to see every fucking one.

Now picture that, but the bad part of the game that's good IS THE GAME. Real-time beard that needs shaving for rewards anyone? No-one questioning why the main character is talking to his split-personality in front of people?

The game is utter shit, but I have not smiled and laughed so much that it begins to hurt playing a game ever. Is that worth $20 to you on the 360?

If you don't see it in shops ask because it's not on the shelves in some places it's got such a limited release. You will thank me later.

If I haven't sold you, check this:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml

It is available for PS3 in Japan and if you import, it's allegedly exactly the same as the English 360 version. However that'll cost you a pretty penny to do that.

I am borrowing my friends US 360 next week (TV Repairs allowing) due to the region lock and I honestly cannot wait.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
After posting that, I've just realised my 360 has out-lasted my £1k Samsung HD. What are the chances...

DaveBrawl
03-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I was looking into getting it, the difference in reviews between their reviewers and the readers on Gamespot was amusing though.

I'm not worried about the PS1 quality graphics, the story looks pretty good. Heard it was the game equivalent of the old Twin Peaks tv show so that seemed interesting.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-01-2010, 04:24 PM
It's mentioned a lot in the comments of the review, but I never seen Twin Peaks so I can't comment myself though.

Search YouTube for videos, it's all gold. $20 for 20 hours of hilarity, you can't go wrong. THE ZOMBIES BEND OVER BACKWARDS AND TRY TO PUT THEIR HAND IN YOUR MOUTH YOU JADED FUCKS.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-01-2010, 04:51 PM
And I should point out that its not actually that terrible. Controls are solid (bar turning left in cars), the sandbox element of the game is well done and it does occasionally actually scare.

In fact the story and writing are so ridiculous, I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose. There should be a damn parade for this game and it's awesomenss. If it never comes to Europe, I may import a US copy just to say thanks for the entertainment.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I will also not let this thread die until Kalyx plays it and gives his impressions.

DaveBrawl
03-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah the only reason I haven't bought it yet is I'm trying to finish up a couple of other games first so I quit putting them off and putting others in front of them.

Kane Knight
03-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Game truly looks Hella bad. I'm rather skeptical about the notion that it's bad enough to be good.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-02-2010, 03:48 AM
It won't let me embed, but check the F..K ... in the coffee! vid:

http://www.destructoid.com/deadly-premonition-is-blatantly-better-than-heavy-rain-165288.phtml

(article is a joke, BTW, but the video is real)

Zach is his split-personality, and yes, that is a QTE to "Look in the coffee with interest".

#BROKEN Hasney
03-02-2010, 05:39 AM
THE ZOMBIES BEND OVER BACKWARDS AND TRY TO PUT THEIR HAND IN YOUR MOUTH YOU JADED FUCKS.

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/165288-deadly-premonition-is-blatantly-better-than-heavy-rain/01-620x.jpg

The flashlight cracks me up. He moves his arms when he walks and the light is coming from the same place. Love it.

Kalyx triaD
03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
That cutscene is like playing Resident Evil half sleep and everything's kinda surreal.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-03-2010, 04:52 PM
1up gets it

Twin Peaks + Shenmue + Resident Evil 4 + The Last Express = $20
By Frank Cifaldi *03/03/2010
Let's cut to the chase: you, the average 1UP reader, probably wouldn't like Deadly Premonition. The controls are clunky, the combat is tedious, it's full of those dreaded "fetch quests" we all like to complain about, the occasionally nonsensical cut-scenes often last too long, and a lot of the graphics would look right at home on the Dreamcast. The game is flawed in many ways, and if you're already turned off, I would advise you to move on and never look back. Don't worry, I won't be offended. We'll hang out some other time.
Now, then. For the rest of you -- those champions of innovation and good taste who won't let a few blemishes stop you from having a good time -- I want to tell you about the most fun I've had playing a videogame in a good long while. Deadly Premonition is the kind of experience that reminds you of why you fell in love with this medium in the first place. Once you look past its flaws, you'll find a game that is completely engrossing for far longer than it ought to be, is refreshingly self-aware that it is, in fact, a videogame and not a movie, and in many ways, is one of the best examples of game writing I've ever seen. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Click the image above to check out all Deadly Premonition screens.

Dashing, quirky lead Francis "York" Morgan is an FBI agent who's volunteered himself to investigate a strange murder in the small industrial town of Greenvale, USA. The murderer's M.O. -- force-feeding the victim a handful of mysterious red seeds -- suggests that the crime is related to a series of similar incidents York has investigated in the past. He must interrogate a wide cast of colorful townsfolk (with names like Wandering Sigourney the Pot Lady and Raging Bull), analyze clues, and use his criminal profiling abilities to catch the murderer before they claim another victim.

Oh, and by the way, York has an imaginary friend named Zach who he has conversations with in public. He can also predict the future by looking at a cup of coffee, eats food he finds lying around on the ground (including raw onions and potatoes), will sleep anywhere that looks comfortable, slags off of work to go fishing, and occasionally has to battle zombies that probably only exist in his head.

The way the game plays out is something like a cross between the open world and pinpoint map objectives of Grand Theft Auto, the wandering and interrogating of Shenmue, the observational "stalking" parts of The Last Express (characters carry out their daily rituals and have conversations with each other, whether or not you're there to see them), and the standing-still-while-shooting combat of Resident Evil 4. It is a "jack of all trades, master of none" scenario, unfortunately, but it somehow balances out into a good game.

Where Deadly Premonition really shines is in its ability to fool you into feeling empowered. Because the game allows you to see what everyone in town is doing at any given moment, it feels like you can actually catch the killer if you're just in the right place at the right time. This leads to some really interesting experiences. One time I glanced at the in-game map and noticed one of my prime suspects was hanging out at the scene of the crime. I hopped in my borrowed police cruiser and sped all the way across town, sirens blazing, to see if I might catch her doing something incriminating. When I finally made it to the site, I found her looking intently at the ground, as if she were trying to find something she'd lost. Confronting her about it opened up a sidequest and revealed some very interesting and completely optional information that shed some light on the mystery -- not in an official way (it didn't change the story or sequence of events), but directly to me, the player.

Click the image above to check out all Deadly Premonition screens.

This is what I mean when I say that Deadly Premonition has some of the best game writing I've seen. Understand that I don't mean it's full of gorgeous prose (in fact, much of the dialogue is awkward and in need of an editor), what I mean is that the game tells you its story in the interactive way that only a videogame can. Sure, you may, if they wish, simply move from checkpoint to checkpoint and get the gist of the story through cut-scenes. But actually exploring the town and acting on your instincts will flesh out Greenvale and its strange inhabitants in very rewarding ways. The game has more dialogue than you're ever likely to read -- not only does every character have something new to say during each of the game's numerous chapters, but what they have to say changes depending on where they are at the time you talk to them.

Deadly Premonition is by no means a great game, at least in the traditional sense, but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy every minute of my nearly 42 hours playing it. The setting and story might have a little too much in common with the early 1990s television series Twin Peaks, but the homage is done with love and admiration. You can really tell that game director SWERY and his team at Access Games went above and beyond in creating Deadly Premonition, and frankly, it disgusts me knowing that the game was kicked out the door at a $20 super-budget price point.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Amazons deal of the day. $15. Come onnnnnnn, get it and get to the top of the online leaderboard for most times shaved in a chapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Premonition-Xbox-360/dp/B002WSR8BC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1270632505&sr=8-1

More to sell you on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7P3bMuQbI#t=2m40s

Including a quote from someone who watched that vid:

I just saw a low-budget Japanese horror game invoke Ferris Buellers Day Off.

At length.

Correctly.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-20-2010, 09:52 AM
17TH SEPTEMBER IT COMES TO EUROPE.

NEWS OF THE FUCKING CENTURY.

Funky Fly
06-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I was already gonna get it this week on eBay. Just waiting on Paypal to get my money from the bank.

Weird that you'd be bumping this around the same time.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
I've still only played the first part of the game, but it is burned in my mind due to the level of incredibleness it has.

G
06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
really want to play this right now :(

Boomer
06-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I watched a good portion of the game completed by the Giant Bomb guys. I really don't have any desire to play it, even as a Twin Peaks fan.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-28-2010, 05:41 PM
ATTENTION EUROPE

It's out tomorrow for only £20 in the UK at least. Do yourself a favour and get this 10/10 rated game :heart: Vid has mild spoiler but is the greatest cutscene of all time.

<object height="745" width="1280">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rp5krDoflLI?fs=1&hl=en_GB&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="745" width="1280"></object>

http://img.game.co.uk/ml/3/5/0/8/350833ps_500h.jpg

I will be picking up my copy then, Zach.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-30-2010, 01:29 AM
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-3rhq.html

PS3 Version

G
12-30-2010, 08:44 AM
If it only wasn't $70