PDA

View Full Version : WWE SmackDown Taping Results (03/12) *Spoilers*

Juan
03-10-2010, 01:33 AM
We get an immediate promise of Chris Jericho's Highlight Reel with guest star Edge.

Rey Mysterio comes to the ring with his wife, son, and daughter. Rey is here to let the fans into his home. It turns out it's Rey's daughter's 9th birthday. Rey gets the crowd to chant Happy Birthday. Says he wants it to be a night she remembers.

And, yes, here's C.M. Punk and crew.

C.M. Punk makes Rey's daughter cry and challenges Rey to a match at WrestleMania, and a match right now. Punk cuts a great promo here and offers a present of letting Rey's daughter shut her eyes while he makes Rey cry and squeal like a pig. Then, he goes after his wife. Rey doesn't want to fight in front of his family, and so Punk offers to get down to his size and gets to one knee. Rey eventually takes off with his family as Punk sings "Happy Birthday."

Miz comes to the ring with Daniel Bryan. Miz takes the mic and says he is set to respond to the beating he took on Raw. Lots of use for the word "really" here. Miz announces a match with Truth now, and Show vs. Morrison later.

(1) R-Truth beat U.S. champion The Miz in a non-title match at 4:24. Miz with offense early, then Truth does the Matrix dodge and takes over, tossing Miz from the ring. The crowd starts a "Daniel Bryan" chant. Back in the ring, Miz slows the pace down into a resthold. Truth breaks out and the momentum runs back and forth. Several nearfalls before Miz tries to use the ropes for the pin, but Danielson pushes him off. Crowd pops, Miz is distracted, and Truth picks up the win.

The Undertaker-Michaels promo is shown with the Johnny Cash theme.

The Money in the Bank case drops above the ring. Drew McIntyre is stopped by Teddy Long, who pesters him about his losses. McMahon has hand-picked Drew's opponent for tonight in a MITB qualifying match. Teddy notes that he's adding the IC Title to the match in a "winner take all" stipulation.

We get Luke Gallows vs. Kane tonight

Drew McIntyre comes to the ring for the MITB match. His opponent is Aaron Bolo. Apparently a Seattle native, he's introduced as a Washington state wrestling champ.

(2) IC champion Drew McIntyre beat Aaron Bolo at 0:22 to retain the IC Title and qualify for Money in the Bank. Yeah, Aaron was demolished. Drew points to the WrestleMania sign and Big Show is shown walking backstage.

So there are nine wrestlers in Money in the Bank now. Big Show comes to the ring and he's facing Morrison now.

(3) Big Show beat John Morrison at 5:41. Morrison is super over with the women. Brief offense from Morrison, then lots of clubbering by Big Show and a loud, sick wet chop that gets a big crowd reaction. Minor offense from Morrison with a dropkick, but it's really all Big Show. Morrison attempts a flip off the ropes, but it's into a fist and a pin.

Hart Dynasty comes to the ring for a match. Meanwhile, we learn Tiffany is talking to Teddy. In comes Vickie Guerrero, who doesn't want Tiffany to take her job. But, turns out Tiffany is here to be a Diva. That means the promise of McCool vs. Tiffany later.

(4) Hart Dynasty (Tyson Kidd & D.H. Smith) vs. Crime Tyme (Shad Gaspard & JTG) went to a No Contest at 1:56. Kidd takes control early, but here's The Undertaker's music. Lights go out, when they are back he's in the ring. Undertaker proceeds to f-up all four with his four finishers over the years. Crowd goes crazy for this.

Michelle McCool comes out with Layla and Vickie. Here comes Tiffany in what can only be described as a Halloween Cheerleader outfit. McCool mocks Tiffany's outfit.

(5) Tiffany beat Michelle McCool via DQ. The match quickly goes outside where Vickie gores Tiffany for a DQ. As McCool and crew threaten Tiffany, out comes Beth Phoenix, who destroys McCool and Layla. After teasing a clothesline on Vickie, she helps up Tiffany, and the two hold up arms.

(6) Kane beat Luke Gallows via DQ at 5:10. This match was just all Kane. Eventually, Gallows escaped to regroup. Kane continued the attack until Gallows took over with a methodical, clubbering offense. Kane had enough of this and hit the chokeslam. As he made the pin, in came Punk for the DQ.

As the Society beat down Kane, out came Rey Mysterio. They brawled to the outside and into the crowd until Dean Malenko held Rey back and C.M. Punk made his escape.

The stage crew then brings out the carpet and extremely expensive Jeritron 5000.

Jericho comes out and says that Edge's career has been about one injury after another he's coming back too early from his injury to be at Wrestlemania. He said that he knows Edge is still hurt and vows to re-injure him and put him out for another six months. Jericho hit him with the mic and pounded on him. Edge came back and went for a spear but Jericho hit the belt and nailed Edge with it to end Smackdown.

Edge b Jericho via DQ in a dark match.

Skippord
03-10-2010, 01:43 AM
good Jericho finally got some offense on Edge

legendkillerRKO
03-10-2010, 01:54 AM
9 people in mitb now i guess?

James Diesel
03-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Was at the Key for this. Very awesome show. Some things could've been done better as far as how they used the space, but you get what you pay for and $20 is fucking decent.

glanville6
03-10-2010, 02:01 AM
9 people in mitb now i guess?

That looks to be true. I don't like that.

RGWhat316
03-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Well I see how they are going to use the MITB ppv now. This MITB is now for the IC title, and a title shot? Still confusing though. Interesting comments from the writer though.

#1-norm-fan
03-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Well I see how they are going to use the MITB ppv now. This MITB is now for the IC title, and a title shot? Still confusing though. Interesting comments from the writer though.

What I got from that was Teddy was adding the IC title to the qualifying stipulation for the match that night. I could be wrong though.

Also, this makes me think they're going with 10 people in MITB this year and Kofi WILL end up getting in.

Droford
03-10-2010, 03:17 AM
MITB is gonna be a clusterfuck

#1-norm-fan
03-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Yeah. For some reason 9 is the point where it seems excessive.

Rammsteinmad
03-10-2010, 03:39 AM
10 people seems a bit excessive, but if the IC title is on the line, maybe it'd be cool to have it so that it's for the MITB briefcase, and after that the IC title will drop down and then they'll go at it again.

This way you'd at least be getting two people over I guess...

Rammsteinmad
03-10-2010, 03:40 AM
Also, Rey Mysterio VS CM Punk! :D

Honestly, this is looking to have the potential to be the best Wrestlemania ever.

Juan
03-10-2010, 03:49 AM
I highly doubt that MITB is gonna involve the IC title.

Londoner
03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Hold on, Dean Malenko was on wwe tv? :eek:

Juan
03-10-2010, 05:38 AM
He's been on TV breaking up fights before.

Rammsteinmad
03-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Can't wait to see the opening promo. Punk singing happy birthday should be awesome.

Londoner
03-10-2010, 05:59 AM
He's been on TV breaking up fights before.

Can't remember the last time i saw him.

Rammsteinmad
03-10-2010, 06:00 AM
I think it was during the build to Wrestlemania last year, when Orton was attacking Shane and Steph.

The Jayman
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
sounds like another good edition of Friday night smackdown

Ermaximus
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
So McIntyre is in the MitB now? Damnit.

The Jayman
03-10-2010, 09:09 AM
sounds like the 10 man mitb might actually come true

Swiss Ultimate
03-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Edge beat Jericho in a dark main event?

:/

What is with these dark main-events. The WWE seems to be doing a lot more than I ever recall. Maybe, I just didn't know they were going on?

Londoner
03-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Edge beat Jericho in a dark main event?

:/

What is with these dark main-events. The WWE seems to be doing a lot more than I ever recall. Maybe, I just didn't know they were going on?

They're annoying to read about, i know they're there to 'send the fans home happy' but i'lld personally be happy not seeing a dark match if i was at the show.

Jeritron
03-10-2010, 11:09 AM
MITB having 8, 9, or 10 members won't make too much of a difference.

90% of the time there are only 2 or 3 guys in the ring and the rest are selling big spots, or disappear from the match altogether.

Swiss Ultimate
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
MITB would be cooler if they sold it as a dangerous match. 3-4 wrestlers would get "severely" injured and taken out on stretchers to allow for the match to become a lot less cluttered. Hell, that'd open up some potential for some pretty dramatic scenes, people could pretend to be Mick Foley and head back to the ring after getting stretchered to the entrance-way.

Jeritron
03-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I like it the way it is. Putting it over as too much of a hardcore match wouldn't suit most of the talent they designate to that spot on the card, and it would cheapen the TLC gimmick.

Innovator
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
If they play up the danger aspect, they can say what a title shot means to everyone etc.

Mr. C
03-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Face Beth? Joy! She might not tag with any divas, but she’ll win the belt, maybe even hold the title until Awesome Kong comes.

Jeritron
03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I think audiences are just spoiled by spots. There's nothing safe or low-risk about the spots they pull off yearly in MITB.

Innovator
03-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I think audiences are just spoiled by spots. There's nothing safe or low-risk about the spots they pull off yearly in MITB.
Yeah thats the downside to the TLC matches from 2000

Splaya
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
10 people seems a bit excessive, but if the IC title is on the line, maybe it'd be cool to have it so that it's for the MITB briefcase, and after that the IC title will drop down and then they'll go at it again.

This way you'd at least be getting two people over I guess...

i think the stipulation was just for Friday's show that he had to defend the title and get into the MITB. However, if the IC title was on the line at Wrestlemania in the match, I would hang both the MITB briefcase and the IC title down at the same time. If someone goes up the ladder, they have to make a choice as to what you want more. The IC title would obviously come down first, but I would find it very interesting if someone like Evan Bourne was up there at the top of the ladder and went for the IC title first. Or even someone greedy like McIntyre who gets greedy and wants to keep his title, grabs it, pulls it down, retains the title, but gets knocked from the ladder only for someone like Kane or Christian to go up and grab the MITB briefcase

The Show Off
03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
And to think I didn't like when they expanded Money in the Back to 8 people.

10 people in Money in the Bank just accentuates all of the WWE's weaknesses: Inability to come up with multiple intriguing storylines, and inability to fit more than 9 matches on a 4 hour show!

Instead of getting a Drew McIntyer IC title match or a well built feud for Kofi getting a one on one match at Wrestlemania (against anyone I don't care) the WWE is going to fill that time with extra long entrances 5 minute long video packages and dumb skits...

I have high hopes for this year's Wrestlemania, but I did last year as well and last year's pacing was awful. Kid Rock (who I actually like) was on way too long, they spent too much time with Jericho and Mickey Rourke. Shawn Michaels and Undertaker's entrance combined was about 10 minutes long. And they had video packages for like 4 of the 8 matches that night all four of those packages were at least 2 or 3 minutes long.

Last Wrestlemania they had a 240 minute time slot to work with and they only used 111 minutes on wrestling? That's absurdly bad. I'm not saying don't have any pagentry but you're telling me they couldn't fit in two more 10 minute matches in there and bring it up to 131 minutes of wrestling? That's still almost 2 hours of non wrestling.

Anyway I'm glad Drew made the card but 9 man money in the back just shows the WWE doesn't know what to do with their talent. But luckily the rest of the show will be good most likley.

Jeritron
03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Inability to come up with multiple intriguing storylines? I don't think there's one match on the card that isn't good to great.

As for inability to fit more than 9 matches on a 4 hour show, I don't see the issue there either. Look through old wrestlemania cards. There have never been much more than that. And when there are they are battle royals and 4 way tag matches and things of that nature.

They are going to give some significant time to their main events, because they are deserving of that time. I'd rather see 9 well built matches, a few of which with decent time.

Mr Amazing
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
MITB is gonna be a clusterfuck
Agreed they should of keep it at eight and have McIntyre defend the IC title against Kofi or someone else

Splaya
03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Yeah look at this years card

Cena vs Batista- Forced or not, Batista was the screwjob factor in taking the title from Cena

HBK vs Taker- Streak vs Career. Enough said

HHH versus Sheamus- Sheamus attacks HHH because HHH injured him at the chamber and eliminated him. Plus Sheamus is one of the "young guns" who allegedly needs to step up.

Randy Orton versus Cody Rhodes versus Ted Dibiase- Even though this is unofficial it is the most likely to happen for Orton. Orton was the leader of Legacy and his group got sick of him and his actions.

Jericho versus Edge- When Edge got hurt last year, Jericho claimed that Edge dropped the ball with the tag titles. Whether Edge sucks as a face or runs around and spears people 17 times during an episode of SD is moot. This feud has plenty of legs.

MITB- You have Christian, Matt Hardy, Evan Bourne, MVP, Jack Swagger, Drew Mcintyre, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, and Shelton Benjamin and possibly Kofi to be added. Christian and Shelton Benjamin feuded for a couple of months for the ECW title. Same with Swagger and Christian. Matt Hardy has had problems with Dolph and Mcintyre. Jack Swagger and MVP have feuded on RAW. Kane and Dolph Ziggler have been having TV matches against one another. You could even go back to the days of TLC and you have Matt Hardy and Christian , both face, and both way over, feuding because its a shot at a world title.

The Miz and Big Show versus R-truth and John Morrison. Sure, big show and R-truth have nothing to really do with this match, but the underlying issue is the Miz and John Morrison. Both of these guys were tag partners, possibly one of the funniest and over (in terms of heel heat) tag teams in recent memory, and then The Miz turned on Morrison when the Miz was drafted to RAW. Flash forward a year later and we get the payoff with these two having a match with championships on the line.

Normally, I don't have a problem with anyone saying much around here, but the show off, you were way wrong pal.

Swiss Ultimate
03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I like it the way it is. Putting it over as too much of a hardcore match wouldn't suit most of the talent they designate to that spot on the card, and it would cheapen the TLC gimmick.

I actually agree with you. What I meant wasn't that I wanted them to do insane spots and actually risk injury. I want them to sell everything a lot more realistically. I think that any move that ends with a guy getting dropped on his neck, for instance, should be a potential match-ender. I'd like to see these guys be able to work a match without dealing with the ridiculous consequences of what has become all too common in the business.

I think that, in all honesty, the envelope got pushed way too much. How much further until we get spot-monkeys getting killed on a semi-regular basis? I remember an indy guy named "Spyder" up in New England who, during a ladder match, landed on his neck and died in the ring. I get that these guys want to live their dream and that most of them will never get to the level of the WWE or even TNA, ROH...even CZW. I know they want to have "fun" but, frankly it is stupid and boring without any context in the first place and secondly it simply isn't worth the risk. Gimmick matches that involve falls or fire just don't make sense at the indy-level. There's not even a legitimate excuse to as to why they're needed at all. Hardcore wrestling fans, the ones who go to the local shows or drive 2 hours+ are going to pay their money whether or not you fall off a ladder.

/rant

The Show Off
03-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Yeah look at this years card

Cena vs Batista- Forced or not, Batista was the screwjob factor in taking the title from Cena

HBK vs Taker- Streak vs Career. Enough said

HHH versus Sheamus- Sheamus attacks HHH because HHH injured him at the chamber and eliminated him. Plus Sheamus is one of the "young guns" who allegedly needs to step up.

Randy Orton versus Cody Rhodes versus Ted Dibiase- Even though this is unofficial it is the most likely to happen for Orton. Orton was the leader of Legacy and his group got sick of him and his actions.

Jericho versus Edge- When Edge got hurt last year, Jericho claimed that Edge dropped the ball with the tag titles. Whether Edge sucks as a face or runs around and spears people 17 times during an episode of SD is moot. This feud has plenty of legs.

MITB- You have Christian, Matt Hardy, Evan Bourne, MVP, Jack Swagger, Drew Mcintyre, Dolph Ziggler, Kane, and Shelton Benjamin and possibly Kofi to be added. Christian and Shelton Benjamin feuded for a couple of months for the ECW title. Same with Swagger and Christian. Matt Hardy has had problems with Dolph and Mcintyre. Jack Swagger and MVP have feuded on RAW. Kane and Dolph Ziggler have been having TV matches against one another. You could even go back to the days of TLC and you have Matt Hardy and Christian , both face, and both way over, feuding because its a shot at a world title.

The Miz and Big Show versus R-truth and John Morrison. Sure, big show and R-truth have nothing to really do with this match, but the underlying issue is the Miz and John Morrison. Both of these guys were tag partners, possibly one of the funniest and over (in terms of heel heat) tag teams in recent memory, and then The Miz turned on Morrison when the Miz was drafted to RAW. Flash forward a year later and we get the payoff with these two having a match with championships on the line.

Normally, I don't have a problem with anyone saying much around here, but the show off, you were way wrong pal.

Did I ever say the card was going to be bad?

Read closer before you call me "way wrong."

The Show Off
03-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Inability to come up with multiple intriguing storylines? I don't think there's one match on the card that isn't good to great.

As for inability to fit more than 9 matches on a 4 hour show, I don't see the issue there either. Look through old wrestlemania cards. There have never been much more than that. And when there are they are battle royals and 4 way tag matches and things of that nature.

They are going to give some significant time to their main events, because they are deserving of that time. I'd rather see 9 well built matches, a few of which with decent time.

As I stated in my post they could add two more matches without taking away time from the main events if they just trim the fat.

RGWhat316
03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Face Beth? Joy! She might not tag with any divas, but she’ll win the belt, maybe even hold the title until Awesome Kong comes.

I still think this is a little late coming. They had the perfect opportunity to turn her in January, but screwed it up. Now with Mickie on the mend, and Maria fired, they have to turn Beth face now.

Droford
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
It seems to me that this years WM is going to stray away from the celebrity involvement of the last couple of WMs (Trump/Mayweather + Snoop Dogg/Rourke + Kid Rock).

HBK vs Undertaker
Edge vs Chris Jericho
John Cena vs Batista
Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon
Miz Show vs Truth & Wisdom
HHH vs Sheamus
Rey Mystero vs CM Punk
Orton vs Legacy
MITB
--
I would think there would be at least some form of a Women's Match as well which would be 10 matches. I dont think theres been a WM card in a while that has had from top to bottom the potential for good matches, BUT like I said there will be something(s) that will disappoint.

Mr. C
03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
I still think this is a little late coming. They had the perfect opportunity to turn her in January, but screwed it up. Now with Mickie on the mend, and Maria fired, they have to turn Beth face now.

With rumors of Awesome Kong leaving TNA to sign with WWE, this is perfect timing. You have Beth, now face, win the title and soon have Kong debut heel, just in time to feud going into SummerSlam.

Juan
03-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I must have missed the rumors about Kong going to WWE.

Droford
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I think people assume shes WWE bound since shes out of TNA.

Personally, I would be amazed if WWE signed her since she doesn't fit the Diva Mold.

Mr. Nerfect
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Sounds like an intriguing episode of SmackDown!. I hope they don't edit out Daniel Bryan's face reaction from the crowd. Granted, it's in his hometown, but that's a good step to getting him universally over.

Drew McIntyre making Money in the Bank is awesome. Jeritron called it. I don't think we will get ten guys in, but you never know. Drew McIntyre bending the rules and getting in is just a way to get him further heel heat, push his relationship with Vince, and get the Intercontinental Champion on the card. I'm also thinking that McIntyre now actually has the best shot of winning the match. It's been a while since a heel won MITB.

CM Punk's opening promo sounds great. The WWE are proving once again that they don't know how to make faces charismatically presentable, but CM Punk has got plenty of energy as a heel character, and he can single-handedly carry this feud on the mic while Rey Mysterio backs him up in the ring. They would make the perfect opener for WrestleMania. Rey Mysterio is constantly one of the most over faces the WWE has to offer, and CM Punk is one of their hottest heels. The match will be great, but it won't overshadow the rest of the card. Brilliant.

Michelle McCool vs. Beth Phoenix vs. Mickie James and Randy Orton & Kofi Kingston vs. Legacy are the two matches I see being added to the card, taking it up to ten matches.

Mr. C
03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
I think people assume shes WWE bound since shes out of TNA.

Personally, I would be amazed if WWE signed her since she doesn't fit the Diva Mold.

I must have missed the rumors about Kong going to WWE.

Actually, she's been reported to be on WWE's radar. The idea is to bring her in under her original name of Amazing Kong on SmackDown as a sort of anti-Diva. Vince McMahon isn't sold on the idea, but is receptive.

Michelle McCool vs. Beth Phoenix vs. Mickie James and Randy Orton & Kofi Kingston vs. Legacy are the two matches I see being added to the card, taking it up to ten matches.

I see Vickie Guerrero getting Beth over as a face, leading to Beth vs. Michelle.

Damian Rey
03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Sounds good per usual.

I'm loving CM Punk right now. Absolutely on fire. But seeing how he's been going so strong for so long, one would have to think his comeuppance is upon us. I wonder if the mask/hair stip. is going to be added next week. Obviously Punk would lose, but it'd be a great way to segue into the next level of his development.

McIntyre was bound to get in MITB. I like that they actually continue to reference his relationship with Vince. That's something that could've been easily forgotten or tossed to the side, yet the writers and the broadcast team continue to make mention of it.

I think the triple threat for the Women's title is the right way to go. And for the first time since maybe Mania 22, I'm actually excited about a possible women's match. They've been building the Beth face turn forever, and Mickie still hasn't quite gone over McCool enough to move her out of the storyline. I think they need a match at Mania. It would be a waste to all the time spent on these characters of they are left off the card.

I like what they did JoMo and Truth on Monday, and Brian getting involved has two angles advancing in one show. More good stuff there.

And it's about fucking time Jericho started getting some licks in on Edge. I understand they need to do all they can to get Edge hot as a face going into Mania, but it's been far too one-sided to this point. Hopefully we see Jericho own Edge for the next couple of weeks.

DAMN iNATOR
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM

Exactly. WrestleMania XX featured 12 matches, but that was because the World and WWE Tag titles were decided in Fatal 4-Way matches, there was the "Cruiserweight Open" match, and the main event of that evening was a triple threat.

redoneja
03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Bit of a late bump but I just got around to watching Smackdown. Solid show and all but one thing really stuck out in my mind:

CM Punk interfered in the Kane/Luke Gallows match and beat down Kane and laid him out with the GTS in about 30 seconds....only to become the cowardly heel when Rey Mysterio shows up? I understand why it happened and all, and I'm fine with it, but when you think about it, it's pretty LOL.

Damian Rey
03-14-2010, 11:33 PM
Bit of a late bump but I just got around to watching Smackdown. Solid show and all but one thing really stuck out in my mind:

CM Punk interfered in the Kane/Luke Gallows match and beat down Kane and laid him out with the GTS in about 30 seconds....only to become the cowardly heel when Rey Mysterio shows up? I understand why it happened and all, and I'm fine with it, but when you think about it, it's pretty LOL.

I noticed that as well. not only was he a cowardly heel, but after manhandling Kane, he gets his ass handed to him by a guy half of Kane's size.