PDA

View Full Version : The Start of a New Era

Mr. C
03-27-2010, 01:55 AM
For the purpose of argument, let’s say that WWE has had 4 periods, all defined by one or two wrestlers and starting with a match. Each era was also affected by changes and other factors. Each era has a period between them, some years, some lasting just a month.

- Hulk Hogan is our hero, starting with Hogan vs. Iron Shiek and ending when Hogan goes to WCW.
- Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels take the torch.
- Stone Cold Steve Austin takes his war to our televisions, starting with Hart vs. Austin and ending when Austin leaves.
- John Cena becomes our hero, starting at WrestleMania XX when he defeated The Big Show.

You may not agree with some of these eras or times, but that’s secondary to my purpose here, as this is all prelude. There are a few options to where we’re heading and who’s leading us there. Christian is in a place where he could easily be this person, but there isn’t anything to back that up at the moment. If we’re in a transition, what and who are we transitioning to? What superstars do you think are about to change things? When do you think this change could take place?

Xero
03-27-2010, 01:57 AM
It's the era...

Of straight edge.

Droford
03-27-2010, 01:57 AM
CM Punk and the Staight Edge Era

damn you XERO!

DAMN YOU!

SOCCER LEGS
03-27-2010, 01:58 AM
joke thread i hope

Xero
03-27-2010, 01:58 AM
lol

YoungFlyFlashy
03-27-2010, 02:02 AM
not an era...but an age...

http://www.kupywrestlingwallpapers.info/wallpapers/age-of-orton-wallpaper-preview.jpg

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Christian to kick off the new boom period in wrestling when he cashes in the MITB at WM 26 lol

Droford
03-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Christian to kick off the new boom period in wrestling when he cashes in the MITB at WM 26 lol

In a reversal of roles, The Lion(heart) will be fed to the Christian!

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:08 AM
I love Christian, but he's not going to usher in a new era or lead a new generation. Maybe he picks up a title win here and there in the next few years, and leads Smackdown for brief periods of time, but there's no way he's going to be the next face of the company.

Wishbone
03-27-2010, 02:08 AM
I don't know if Christian could be considered anywhere near the same lvl as Hart, HBK, Austin, Hogan, or Cena at least not yet (and I don't see it anytime soon) I could however see the next era being dominated by Drew McIntyre and possibly The Miz and hell if things keep the way they are mabe Sheamus will be added to that list

Lock Jaw
03-27-2010, 02:09 AM
Hulk Hogan Era ended because Hulk went to WCW.

Bret/HBK Era was a transitional period at best, and ended with the screwjob.

Austin(and later The Rock) Era ended when Austin left (and later The Rock).

Therefore it follows that the Cena Era won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:10 AM
WWE ERAs what do you guys think

Hulkamania/Golden Years (Mid 80's to 1993)
Hogan and co, the Federation years when the WWF was on top of the worldddd...

New Generation (1993 to 1997)
This is when Hogan started to get boring, the WWF declined, the steroid trials, the emergence of Bret, HBK and smaller wrestlers

Attitude Era (1997 to 2001)
The WWF started becoming 'edgier' as early as late-96, but it was around Survivor Series 97 with the screwjob, DX and then Austin vs McMahon that got the Attitude Era rolling. Its debatable when this era ended but most seem to agree on either WrestleMania 17 or Survivor Series 2001.

Brand Split Era (2002 to 2005)
This was the post-Attitude Era with the RAW/SD split. I think this counts as a different era than our current one because a) the roster split was enforced strictly and the company did have a different feel to it in these years.

Current/John Cena Era (2006 to Present)
Starting at Survivor Series 2005 the RAW/SD roster split became more casual and not as 'official' and in 2006 and onwards John Cena became the face of the WWE and officially the top man when he beat HHH at WM 22.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:11 AM
March 28, 2010
Christian Cage Era

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:12 AM
completely agree with that Franchise. There was definitely an era of limbo between the attitude era and now that had it's own identity

I almost wish they tried out a new logo after Wrestlemania 21

Mr. Pierre
03-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm gonna agree and say that it'll be the Age of Orton. I find it hard to believe that he's still not even 30 yet (or if he is, he just turned).

As far as the generation's antagonist, I'm gonna go with CM Punk.

Lock Jaw
03-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Continuing with the wrestler=era thing, Would it be too bold to call the Brand Split Era the Brock Lesnar/Kurt Angle era?

Lock Jaw
03-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Or, probably just the HHH Era.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:15 AM
completely agree with that Franchise. There was definitely an era of limbo between the attitude era and now that had it's own identity

I almost wish they tried out a new logo after Wrestlemania 21

Yeah for sure. Especially since Austin and Rock had a fairly decent amount of influence on the product until 2004.

Lock Jaw, you are right about that. Brock Lesnar was probably the face of that limbo period between Attitude and the Cena era. Wasnt it called Ruthless Aggression or something in 2002??

Droford
03-27-2010, 02:15 AM
The Era of the Celtic Ghost Warrior

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:18 AM
If they had a new logo, would they not have to blur out the WWF scratch logo?

I know they don't have to blur out the old WWF logo, so I would assume this would be the case. I've always figured it has something to do with how similar it is the current logo they use. Some condition or something.

SOCCER LEGS
03-27-2010, 02:23 AM
WWE ERAs what do you guys think

Hulkamania/Golden Years (Mid 80's to 1993)
Hogan and co, the Federation years when the WWF was on top of the worldddd...

New Generation (1993 to 1997)
This is when Hogan started to get boring, the WWF declined, the steroid trials, the emergence of Bret, HBK and smaller wrestlers

Attitude Era (1997 to 2001)
The WWF started becoming 'edgier' as early as late-96, but it was around Survivor Series 97 with the screwjob, DX and then Austin vs McMahon that got the Attitude Era rolling. Its debatable when this era ended but most seem to agree on either WrestleMania 17 or Survivor Series 2001.

Brand Split Era (2002 to 2005)
This was the post-Attitude Era with the RAW/SD split. I think this counts as a different era than our current one because a) the roster split was enforced strictly and the company did have a different feel to it in these years.

Current/John Cena Era (2006 to Present)
Starting at Survivor Series 2005 the RAW/SD roster split became more casual and not as 'official' and in 2006 and onwards John Cena became the face of the WWE and officially the top man when he beat HHH at WM 22.

IMO, the attitude era officially ended at wrestlemania 20, and the "current era" then began

SOCCER LEGS
03-27-2010, 02:23 AM
If they had a new logo, would they not have to blur out the WWF scratch logo?

I know they don't have to blur out the old WWF logo, so I would assume this would be the case. I've always figured it has something to do with how similar it is the current logo they use. Some condition or something.

no, they'll always have to blur out the WWF scratch logo.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:25 AM
IMO, the attitude era officially ended at wrestlemania 20, and the "current era" then began

Really? That is interesting. The latest I have heard someone say the Attitude Era ended was when Lesnar beat Rock at SummerSlam 2002, but most people seem to agree it was either 2001 or early 2002. What makes you say that 2003 for example was still attitude era? Rock & Austin were not around full time and the product was drastically different than as little as two years ago

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:28 AM
no, they'll always have to blur out the WWF scratch logo.

Is this your guess, or do you have some legitimate information? I ask, because there has to be some kind of reason why the vintage logo is left unblurred.

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Really? That is interesting. The latest I have heard someone say the Attitude Era ended was when Lesnar beat Rock at SummerSlam 2002, but most people seem to agree it was either 2001 or early 2002. What makes you say that 2003 for example was still attitude era? Rock & Austin were not around full time and the product was drastically different than as little as two years ago

Wrestlemania 17 is the grand finale of the Attitude Era in my eyes. There are a million things that make me feel this way, but the fact that they bought WCW and ECW weeks prior is one of the biggest ones. The main event, the venue, the entire shift the company was taking at that time.

It continued on with the Two Man Power Trip, and the Invasion Angle. These were like the aftershocks of the Attitude Era however.
The invasion angle, the undisputed title, and the brand split were like the transitional period from attitude to the whole post-era.

Things definitely went in a whole new direction circa-Wrestlemania 21.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Agreed. Four year WM gaps eh? 1993 (WM 9 is Hogans last Mania and the start of RAW that year), 1997 (WM 13 Bret passes the torch to Austin), 2001 (WM 17 end of Attitude Era), 2005 (WM 21 Cena Era kicks off)...... 2009 (WM 25)..... uhh... HHH retains the title? :D

SOCCER LEGS
03-27-2010, 02:43 AM

not sure, it's probably just a personal preference because i stopped watching for a while after WM20. it seems to me like WM20 marked a big turning point for a lot of reasons... the rise of john cena, the rise of orton and batista... the rock's last match (though he had been mostly gone for a while)... the last we saw of austin for a while... the titles going to some new talent (eddie and benoit)... lesnar leaving wrestling... goldberg leaving wrestling (i feel goldberg was a big part of the attitude era despite being with the other company most of the time). basically i see the attitude era as characterized by austin and the rock, and i think WM20 was when it became clear that they were "passing the torch"

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 02:57 AM
Just think what the Wrestlemania 20 card would have been like if Rock faced HBK, and that left Foley and Orton to have their singles match.
Batista and Flair could have faced RVD/Booker T instead of one of those tag titles clusterfucks they had two of.

Imagine if Lesnar faced Austin instead of Goldberg? Especially if he wasn't leaving right after

Remember the Hogan/Savage rematch that everyone was talking about the WWE trying to put together at that time? It probably would have been ugly from an in-ring standpoint, but that match at MSG would have been interesting to say the least.

Mr. C
03-27-2010, 03:40 AM
What the card could've been like:

WWE Championship Match: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Chris Benoit

Goldberg vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Cruiserweight Championship Open

Triple Threat World Heavyweight Championship Match: Shawn Michaels vs. Triple-H (c) vs. The Rock

United States Championship Match: John Cena vs. The Big Show (c)

Hardcore Intercontinental Championship Match: Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton (c)

Fatal Four WWE Tag Team Championship Match: APA vs. Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin vs. Rikishi & Scotty 2 Hotty (c) vs. The Basham Brothers

World Tag Team Championship Match: Batista & Ric Flair vs. Booker T & Rob Van Dam (c)

Eddie Guerrero vs. Kurt Angle

Chris Jericho vs. Christian

Evening Gown Match: Miss Jackie & Stacy Keibler vs. Sable & Torrie Wilson

Kane vs. The Undertaker

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't see why anyone would want HHH and the title in there when The Rock vs HBK has never been done, and should be all about the two of them having one of the biggest dream matches in wrestling history.

I'd rather see Triple H face Brock on that card, and Chris Benoit take a hike

SOCCER LEGS
03-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Just think what the Wrestlemania 20 card would have been like if Rock faced HBK, and that left Foley and Orton to have their singles match.
Batista and Flair could have faced RVD/Booker T instead of one of those tag titles clusterfucks they had two of.

Imagine if Lesnar faced Austin instead of Goldberg? Especially if he wasn't leaving right after

Remember the Hogan/Savage rematch that everyone was talking about the WWE trying to put together at that time? It probably would have been ugly from an in-ring standpoint, but that match at MSG would have been interesting to say the least.

would have been pretty epic... though if we're doing "what ifs" i think i might prefer an angle/lesnar/eddie triple threat and Austin going one on one with Goldberg.

can't imagine how Michaels pissed off the Rock to the point where he refused to work with him completely.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Since we're on the topic of "what could have happened" I am 99.99% sure that if Brock Lesnar didn't leave the WWE the main-event of WrestleMania 21 would have been Lesnar(c) vs Cena

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 03:53 AM
That would have been big.

I always figured if Lesnar didn't leave they probably would have done Lesnar vs HHH at Wrestlemania 21, but maybe you're right.

Also, if Lesnar didn't leave I don't think Batista would have gotten on the map the way he did. I think he may have gotten very popular like he did, and gone on to win a world title when he turned on Evolution, but it probably would have been more of a regular PPV thing, and he'd be a perrenial main eventer. I don't think he'd have become master of Smackdown and co-face of the company.

Orton almost definitely wouldn't have been thrust into the main event and given a face title run. This wouldn't have killed that momentum. I still think he'd have faced Taker at Wrestlemania 21, but he would have had way more heat and credibility going in and might have even snapped the streak.

I could have seen them still going with Cena vs HHH at Wrestlemania 22, but that being the match where he won his first title. A year later, and in a much bigger match, he might have gotten out of the gates even hotter.

The Franchise
03-27-2010, 04:05 AM
Oh shit, I didn't even think of HHH vs Lesnar. That would have been a huge match too. I really wish Lesnar stayed as I was always a big fan of his. Him & Cena being the top stars would have been cool. You're right about Orton and Batista, that would have gone very differently and would have been interesting to see how it panned out. I also think Orton would not have gotten his pre-mature face run in 2004 and that means theres a good chance he would have broken the streak at Mania 21. As for Batista he probably would have won the title in the way you mentioned.

Come to think of it, if Orton didnt turn face when he did and they turned him face in the way they turned Batista, I wonder what would have happened to Big Dave. That HHH feud literally made his career. Without that, I do not see Batista ever being more than a 1-Time World Champion, possibly Kane V2.0

Jeritron
03-27-2010, 04:18 AM
I always felt that the Orton/HHH fued should have gone the other way. Orton should have performed the mutiny and backstabbed HHH, kicking him out of the group.
If Orton usurped him as leader, and continued to run with Batista and Flair behind him as Evolution, it would have been better I think.
HHH was a proven face. Orton wasn't, and he was absolutely on fire as a heel. It should have continued.

Mr. Nerfect
03-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I always felt that the Orton/HHH fued should have gone the other way. Orton should have performed the mutiny and backstabbed HHH, kicking him out of the group.
If Orton usurped him as leader, and continued to run with Batista and Flair behind him as Evolution, it would have been better I think.
HHH was a proven face. Orton wasn't, and he was absolutely on fire as a heel. It should have continued.

I agree with this. I remember thinking that they could have done a "Rock" thing with Randy Orton, where the fans really want the face turn, but they re-establish his heel alignment, and really build that anticipation for Orton's future heroic moments. It just didn't make sense that Batista and Ric Flair would turn on Orton. Once he did what Triple H couldn't do, and beat Chris Benoit, Orton proved he was the "present" and not the "future." This makes Triple H the "past" and Flair has got that covered. It could have started a program where Triple H went through Batista, Ric Flair and then won the 2005 Royal Rumble to challenge Orton at WrestleMania 21. Orton could have retained the title cleanly there, and he'd have been more than established as the great villain of a new era.

Some defining moments that could be used to create major stars:

* The Undertaker's streak being dropped off to a younger guy could instantly create a top dog. I'm not saying he will or even should do it, but let's say Drew McIntyre breaks The Undertaker's streak. That is it; he has made it. This would look especially important if McIntyre wins Money in the Bank this year, cashes in later that night against John Cena, and becomes the youngest WWE Champion of all-time. McIntyre then takes that momentum, continues to be pushed over the year and beats The Undertaker, dissolving The Undertaker's 18 wins into his three. Or they have Drew win, hold onto the title shot for the entire year, and then cashes in against The Undertaker at WrestleMania, with a year's build behind it.

* John Cena turning heel. As a face, Cena has been played consistently and thoroughly. But if he becomes a villain, whichever face is pitted against him suddenly has this massive spotlight on them. It'd be like Superman becoming a bad guy, and then a new hero having to step up to stop him. It could be anyone, but I think they could become a defining star.

* John Morrison. There is nothing that man could not do.

Lord-Of-Darkness
03-28-2010, 07:26 AM
* John Cena turning heel. As a face, Cena has been played consistently and thoroughly. But if he becomes a villain, whichever face is pitted against him suddenly has this massive spotlight on them. It'd be like Superman becoming a bad guy, and then a new hero having to step up to stop him. It could be anyone, but I think they could become a defining star.

I maintain that Cena is this eras Hulk Hogan. He will be a face as long as the majority of the crowd is cheering for him. In years to come, when the crowd really starts dying down on him, then turning him heel will be a last resort and used for shock value, then run with it.

I honestly think this will be the next 'era'.

Mr. Nerfect
03-28-2010, 08:43 AM
I maintain that Cena is this eras Hulk Hogan. He will be a face as long as the majority of the crowd is cheering for him. In years to come, when the crowd really starts dying down on him, then turning him heel will be a last resort and used for shock value, then run with it.

I honestly think this will be the next 'era'.

I am pretty much in agreeance with this. Much like Hulk Hogan turning heel and really kicking off the nWo marked huge changes, I think Cena doing the same thing (minus the nWo) would make huge waves.

Also consider that at this point in time, the man most likely to end The Undertaker's streak at WrestleMania is probably John Cena. If they combined the two, as I've seen mentioned (I think The Franchise is a poster who suggests this possibility a lot), then you've got two huge ticking over elements right there. The destruction of the old guard, and the creation of the new (Cena as a villain and whoever steps up to oppose him as the new primary face).

And if I were to guess, much like I have seen mentioned, WrestleMania XXVIII seems like a good place to sort of place this occuring. Granted, it does depend on when the Cena well runs dry; but this is still two years away. Maybe Cena will still be profitable and all that, but in two years, Taker will be 19-0, going on that huge 20-0 milestone. Cena disrupting that would be HUGE.

There are also those rumours that WrestleMania 28 will be in Toronto. If that's the case, then it is in front of that magic crowd we all know and love (although it may have changed). Someone mentioned in another thread that they could hold off Edge vs. Christian for that long somehow, and how it could be a HUGE main event for that show. Imagine The Undertaker vs. John Cena for the World Heavyweight Title and Edge vs. Christian for the WWE Title -- now that is a PPV I would order on those merits alone.