PDA

View Full Version : XNA Project #2

Kalyx triaD
03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
If [we] made this as an XNA or iPhone App, would it sell? Why and why not.

Bullet features:

Classic social game reimagined in HD for the next generation!
Collect gloves and play in style!
Local multiplayer!

Yeah it's pretentious but I have reason to believe Hasney would totally buy this, and he is the measuring stick of the average gaming consumer.

Gonna go eat now.

Xero
03-31-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm 100% certain it would sell, and a lot. Just for the novelty.

Casual games are where it's at.

Lock Jaw
03-31-2010, 07:14 PM
They've made games that are pretty much glorified Rock Paper Scissors before. I don't remember what it was called but the "battle system" was basically Rock Paper Scissors.

Xero
03-31-2010, 07:18 PM
A lot of games are rock paper scissor in their simplest form. Especially RPGs.

RoXer
03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
A lot of games are rock paper scissor in their simplest form. Especially fighting games.

Kane Knight
03-31-2010, 08:50 PM
A lot of games are rock paper scissor in their simplest form. Especially fighting games.

RPGs and strategy games often employ a Rock/Paper/Scissor deal as well.

I'd say nobody's stupid enough to buy Kalyx's idea, but he mentioned it being an app. Clearly, if you bought an iphone, you really are stupid enough to pay for a digital RPS title.

RoXer
03-31-2010, 08:52 PM
Really though...

Just about every game out there uses an RPS type system.

thedamndest
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
You should add some kind of Gamer Profile to include your win/loss record, most selected RPS token, and maybe the average time it takes you to make a decision. Something else that gives someone a reason not just to play with their hands.

Emperor Smeat
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Anything would sell well on iPhone Apps, price probably would be the key though since 99 cents to $4.99 seems to be the sweet spot for impulse buying.

A fart button was in the top downloads/sales for the iPhone store for a while.

Xero
03-31-2010, 08:58 PM
You should add some kind of Gamer Profile to include your win/loss record, most selected RPS token, and maybe the average time it takes you to make a decision. Something else that gives someone a reason not just to play with their hands.

Also an online scoreboard.

Someone from Japan would obviously hold #1 by an insane margin.

AngryMidjit
03-31-2010, 09:19 PM
A lot of games are rock paper scissor in their simplest form. Especially Rock Paper Scissors.

Xero
03-31-2010, 09:26 PM
For the gloves part, you can make it so that you leave the app running while walking around. If you pass anyone who has theirs on you collect random things. Gloves, rings, etc. And it's based on the other's and your overall score.

Some of these (really rare ones) could be one-off items. Like automatic wins.

It'd be kind of like Pokemon!

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Really though...

Just about every game out there uses an RPS type system.

Not in a meaningful sense.

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Anything would sell well on iPhone Apps, price probably would be the key though since 99 cents to $4.99 seems to be the sweet spot for impulse buying.

A fart button was in the top downloads/sales for the iPhone store for a while.

Indeed.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Really though...

Your entire life is based off an RPS system

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Really though...

Your entire life is based off an RPS system

Mine's based of a RTSWRPGWAT, TYVM.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
The game would sell for 15$. Apps are attractive for no reason and bullshit worse than this idea banked. One of the early successes of the XNA store was essentially a vibrating app.

TPWW, let's bank.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Get on it. Tell me how I can help.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Just say you're down and I will put your fucking name in the credits.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I am down.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Special Thanks

Joey Roxer

FearedSanctity
04-01-2010, 07:44 PM
I want halp

RoXer
04-01-2010, 07:45 PM
As long as

RB - Rock
RT - Scissors
LT - Paper
LB - Random

Xero
04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
There should be a PC version that allows mods and user-hosted servers.

Also, an MMORPS.

FearedSanctity
04-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Also, include different variations

http://www.umop.com/images/rps25.jpg

Kane Knight
04-01-2010, 07:50 PM
The game would sell for 15$. Apps are attractive for no reason and bullshit worse than this idea banked. One of the early successes of the XNA store was essentially a vibrating app.

TPWW, let's bank.

Really. Can't figure out why a vibrator app would sell well.

Xero
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
:naughty:

OssMan
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Also, include different variations

http://www.umop.com/images/rps25.jpgwoman beats man? explain this shit

FearedSanctity
04-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Man I can't even begin to figure that shit out. All I know is it lists the variants and somewhere in there is what beats what

FearedSanctity
04-01-2010, 09:15 PM
http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/rock-paper-scissors-spock-lizard.jpg

Xero
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
http://www.freeonlinegames.com/fun-games/rock-paper-scissors.html

thedamndest
04-01-2010, 10:26 PM
$15 seems kind of expensive for this. Keep in mind that part of the allure of apps is that they can be impulse buys because they seem like a really cool idea at the time for only a few clicks. $15 seems like enough to drive away the impulse/boredom gaming market.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Did I mention this was in HD? Cause it fucking is.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
No way, they should be the triggers. Makes it feel more interactive

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Mapable buttons. Issue solved.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Default setting is the triggers though. Or else I'm outta here

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I'll sack your ass. No credit spot for you then.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Good!

Don't want my name soiled by this SHIT project

RoXer
04-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry for that otuburst. I did not mean it.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:39 PM
It s'kay. You still in.

RoXer
04-01-2010, 11:42 PM
So are you really doing this or are you just dicking around brainstorming here? Because I have a bunch more ideas.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Save it. I'll hit up you and Drakul after I get the XNA package for my guys.

Welcome to the game, bitch. You answer to Khuntry until future notice.

thedamndest
04-01-2010, 11:47 PM
It would be pretty sweet if you could interface it with the camera to include custom options for your settings. So if you wanted to use your hand throwing up rock you could, if you wanted to use The Rock you could, a rock, etc. A lot of people would probably use a penis though.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Sounds like something for Natal.

Kalyx triaD
04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Penis and all.

FearedSanctity
04-02-2010, 06:48 AM
What about my using the variants idea? :'(

Xero
04-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Penis penetrates paper, scissors cut penis.

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 07:06 AM
What about my using the variants idea? :'(

All those tokens would make the game tedious. Trying to hit the "ZOMG, look what I got Becky!" crowd.

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Just came up with a multiplayer mode called Battle Cycle. Would you like me to explain it? It's not often I share 'hard' stuff with you people, and I assure you this is an official R-Tyme project. Also, fuck iPhone, this is XNA.

Gonna write up a game document. Be PMing updates from here on in. Thanks for the input boys. Laters.

FearedSanctity
04-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Curious, explain plz

Xero
04-02-2010, 07:35 AM
iPhone is where the money is. More morons to sell to than Live.

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Curious, explain plz

- Up to six players put have their 'hands' (which will literally be floating hands) in the circle. Now I wondered how a game like this would work with that many people, and it seemed that a 'free for all' game would need a starter and a cycle. The game will randomly choose a starter out of the players.

- After a whimsical countdown and everyone reveals their token, the starter's token will be matched against the player on his right, for instance. If the starter wins, he will be matched with the player further down the circle (and the losing player is dropped). If the starter somehow manages to knock out the circle he wins.

- Now if he meets a player with a better token, he is dropped and the cycle moves the opposite direction with the new winner as the starter. Any players dropped (like the first defeated player in the cycle above) do not return, and the cycle keeps moving until one remains.

- I don't know if the universal token should be allowed in this mode...

- While not a final system, I imagine this would lead to back and forths in the circle until one remains. And it will be interesting to see if a player could get a clean sweep (a definite Achievement if XNA allowed such a thing).

- 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and Battle Cycle seems to be a fair package.

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 07:49 AM
iPhone is where the money is. More morons to sell to than Live.

True, but I know little about iPhone's development program (universal kits, upload policy, I should look it up).

And I kinda hate the damn thing. But this is such a paycheck, hardly one of my heartfelt concepts. But whatever, it can be a learning tool along with the other one.

FearedSanctity
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Pretty good idea, but not with just the 3 tokens. Almost safe to say no one would ever beat the circle, because if I throw Rock then out of 6 people at least a couple are bound to throw paper. Just too few options for that aspect to really work. I get the feeling it'd just become pretty annoying because for at least the first few rounds the starter would have pretty much no chance of winning barring a miracle

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Aye, maybe whoever was defeated by the previous winner gets a new life when he's dropped (though keeping the same token they had)?

FearedSanctity
04-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Would that not make it almost endless though? If people could just keep coming back? Probably misunderstanding that though.

And having to keep the same token would be kinda lame. Wouldn't people be able to gameplan for that? They know whats coming from him. If he gets stuck with rock there'll be a bunch of paper and probably a couple scissors. Just too predicatable.

Perhaps a simple tournament style would be best?

Kalyx triaD
04-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Would that not make it almost endless though? If people could just keep coming back? Probably misunderstanding that though.

The shifting direction of the cycle was my solution to that concern... I may need to practice the game live to see. A lot of it comes down to probability and the Rule of Counting.

And having to keep the same token would be kinda lame. Wouldn't people be able to gameplan for that? They know whats coming from him. If he gets stuck with rock there'll be a bunch of paper and probably a couple scissors. Just too predicatable.

Perhaps a simple tournament style would be best?

There'd be no way someone could plan anything in a game like this, they all choose at the same time (I'm not crazy). The actual game is choosing your token, then it's all data crunching. That should take a second, but the whole battle cycle thing was a stab at... 'gamble tension', I guess.

Tourny isn't a bad idea anyway. And there should be whacky animations like the rock hand actually crushing the scissor hand and so on.

thedamndest
04-02-2010, 12:06 PM
The more you delve into battle systems and start straying away from RPS you will lose a lot of your market. You aren't just selling to gamers. 40-year-olds and girls buy apps too.

That is why I think the camera feature is so important. You can make it completely customizable for each user, yet you keep the traditional rules of the game. And all of that other stuff about that Battle Board keeping your stats would be there. But keep your market in mind.

Xero
04-02-2010, 12:11 PM
So I don't feel like looking it up.

How hard is XNA to actually use? What kind of code does it use?

Kalyx triaD
04-03-2010, 06:01 AM
C++ and the UI is supposed to be friendly.

jcmoorehead
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
C++ and the UI is supposed to be friendly.

It uses C# not C++ and it's fairly simple to use however some basic knowledge of programming would be useful. The UI is no different to what you'd use for any other language though, it's just Visual Studio.

If you're going to learn it I'd advise getting the book "Learning XNA 3.0" to guide you a bit, it'll teach you how to make your first basic game. My lecturer at University actually recommends it too.

My University now teaches XNA as part of its Games Development Module for the Year 2s on the programming course, I also used it in development of my Final Year Project. If you guys want any advice on planning/programming for games feel free to ask, I'm no expert by any means but I know a fair amount (At least, with me being 2 weeks away from having a degree in the subject I hope I do)

For those wondering, this is the "UI" as it were.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/jcmoorehead/XNAScreen.jpg

Kalyx triaD
04-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Are there any dev forums you frequent that we could join? This one is counter-productive in subjects like this. I was going to join the XNA community but if you know any others that'll be worth a look that'll be cool.

jcmoorehead
04-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Most of the programming discussion I have is with my own friends from Uni, I'd advise joining the XNA Community one more then anything.

Kalyx triaD
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Very well, staying on course.