PDA

View Full Version : Why are your favorite films your favorite films?

Zeeboe
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm a big Angry Video Game Nerd fan, & he recently shared his top favorite thirty films list, & his reasons for liking them, so I thought we could do the same.

No rules here. Doesn't have to be thirty. I'm probably just gonna post my top five. Doesn't have to be an essay (like you all know I may end up typing), doesn't have to be "deep" (like how my posts will read) & you don't have to put all of them in one post. So come on, let's read em'. :y:

bigdaddysuperfreak
04-04-2010, 11:10 AM
The Searchers- One of John Waynes best, shows his depth as an actor
Casablanca- Just a great love story
Blazing Saddles- One of the greatest comedies ever
Army of Darkness- Who doesnt love Bruce Campbell
Clerks- Just a great movie I can watch any and every time it is on

#1-norm-fan
04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I like Leaving Las Vegas because I like the booze and Nicolas Cage is just ridiculously fun to watch in it.

I like Chasing Amy because it's the realest feeling movie I've ever seen despite circa '97 Affleck turning a lesbian straight.

I like Forrest Gump because it's just the most thoroughly entertaining film I've ever seen in my life.

I like Punch-Drunk Love because it's an amazing blend of genres, totally against the typical movie "formula" and the most unique character study I've ever seen.

dronepool
04-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Films? I guess I'll avoid naming animated movies. Here's a bunch of movies I like.

Holy Mountain, El Topo, Santa Sangre, Fando y Lis, V For Vendetta, Batman Returns, Batman (1989), Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Superman, Superman 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, District 9, 12 Monkey's, The Machinist, Fifth Element, Equilibrium, Escape From New York, The Matrix, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for Dream, Fight Club, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil, Dogma, Clerks, Clerks 2, Hellboy, American Beauty, American History X, Natural Born Killers, The Crow, American Psycho, Donnie Darko, The Shining, The Terminator series, Hedwig & The Angry Inch, Dark City, Sin City, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pulp Fiction, Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, Half Baked, a few random Cheech & Chong movies,

Inadequacy
04-07-2010, 12:13 AM
But why Dronepool?

The Franchise
04-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Countdown to liquor day

jsroka
04-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Mean Girls: Even though I don't like Lindsay Lohan, this movie cracks me up every time I see it. I like a few of the other actors, so that makes up for Lindsay. The movie is exaggerated, but pretty close to real life. And there are so many great lines in it (which I won't list, to save space).

Pirates of the Caribbean: Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom drew me to it. But I really loved the story, and even Geoffrey Rush won me over. It's got a little action and its funny moments.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: One of the best classic horror movies. It's got the perfect amount of gore and suspense.

Moulin Rouge: Ewan McGregor's voice. And John Lequizamo really impressed me in this movie. This is one of the few movies where I actually like Nicole Kidman. I love what they did with the songs, and I usually don't like "chick flicks" but this one is just amazing.

jsroka
04-17-2010, 12:41 AM
I like Leaving Las Vegas because I like the booze and Nicolas Cage is just ridiculously fun to watch in it.

I like Chasing Amy because it's the realest feeling movie I've ever seen despite circa '97 Affleck turning a lesbian straight.

I like Forrest Gump because it's just the most thoroughly entertaining film I've ever seen in my life.

I like Punch-Drunk Love because it's an amazing blend of genres, totally against the typical movie "formula" and the most unique character study I've ever seen.

I never liked Forrest Gump. I'm one of the few. haha.

jsroka
04-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Films? I guess I'll avoid naming animated movies. Here's a bunch of movies I like.

Holy Mountain, El Topo, Santa Sangre, Fando y Lis, V For Vendetta, Batman Returns, Batman (1989), Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, Superman, Superman 2, Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, District 9, 12 Monkey's, The Machinist, Fifth Element, Equilibrium, Escape From New York, The Matrix, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for Dream, Fight Club, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Brazil, Dogma, Clerks, Clerks 2, Hellboy, American Beauty, American History X, Natural Born Killers, The Crow, American Psycho, Donnie Darko, The Shining, The Terminator series, Hedwig & The Angry Inch, Dark City, Sin City, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Pulp Fiction, Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, Half Baked, a few random Cheech & Chong movies,

:y:
V for Vendetta and Iron Man, two more great films. V's story really captured me, and Natalie Portman gave a perfect performance. I loved Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man.
I loved the Dark Knight, so my friends had me watch American Psycho. Did not care for it. I just wasn't interested for some reason.

voncouch
04-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Reservoir Dogs - It's the film that made me fall in love with the genre. Tarantino is influenced by so many sources, this film kick-started the cinephile I am today.
American Beauty - An absolutely flawless film. Made me appreciate all of the small details that go into film making.
The Big Lebowski - Fantastic writing, fantastic acting, one of the funniest and most quotable movies of all time.
Cinema Paradiso - Touched my soul in a way no piece of art had done since.
Duck Soup - The Marx Bros satiric masterpiece. Anytime I'm upset, I can watch this and always roar with laughter.
Fight Club - Made me look at the world a little differently.
Dr. Strangelove - The best example of taking a terrifying subject and lampooning it to ridiuclous and hilarious results.
Airplane! - The film that made me love to watch film. I've seen this movie probably 50 or 60 times, and I'm still finding jokes to laugh at.
Ikiru - In my opinion, Kurosawa's masterpiece. A truely philisophical film that examines death and the meaning of existance.
Vertigo - A spine-chilling mental mindfuck that hits you with two fantastic climaxes. The first time I saw this film I was speechless for fifteen minutes
12 Angry Men - Brilliantly done, should be required viewing for all.
The Wrestler - Not only does it finally treat the business I love with a decorum of respect, it is one of the most real films I have ever seen. Rourke's performance is on the same tier as Brando in Streetcar or DeNiro in Raging Bull.
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas - A psychotic trip into the meaning of life by diving headfirst into it's excesses.
Once Upon A Time In The West - What Leone does with silence in this film is absolutely unmatched.
8 1/2 - Self indulgent, yes, but as an artist it speaks to me on a deep level.
Rear Window - Excellent cinematography and nail-biting suspense give us some of the most heart-stopping moments in cinema history.
Barton Fink - Completely open to interpretation, this surrealist Cohen masterpiece can be seen by ten different people and each can take away a different understanding.
La Dolce Vida - Much like Fear and Loathing, it takes a look into the meaning of existance by indulging in it's seditary vices. Ekberg's dance is one of the most beautiful and enjoyable scenes in cinema.
This Is Spinal Tap - An Improv Dream. The music is great, the performances are great, and non-stop jokes throughout the entire film.
Ghostbusters - Why do you even have to ask?

dronepool
04-17-2010, 03:46 AM
But why Dronepool?

They were entertaining and they're movies that I could watch more than once. They have themes that I like and some are thought provoking.

I'm not going into details of each film.

ct2k
04-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Anything from the 'Bring It On' series

Zeeboe
04-17-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm going to list my in the order of the year they first came out.

1. Freddy vs. Jason (2003) - This was literally a fantasy movie come true, and that rarely happens. I also never recall anticipating a movie with more excitement then this one. I remember posting on so many message boards, discussing this film before it came out, and then going to an event called Camp HackNSlash out in the woods to see this movie.

As a kid, I was terrified of Freddy and Jason, and there was always discussions on the playground among the little boys at the Elementary school I went to as to who could beat who in a fight. When I got older, and got on the Internet, I discovered this topic did not just belong to the young boys I grew up in at school in this little small Texas town. It was infact a discussion that kids from all over the world talked about.

Yeah, it's a childish, but boys will be boys, and when we grew up, I think plenty of us are still little boys sometimes, just overgrown, and seeing Freddy vs. Jason finally came true fed this inner-child we all have. As funny as it is, Freddy vs. Jason presents these warm, fuzzy feelings of nostalgia I think is in a lot of us.

My love for this movie totally confirms I'm a manchild, but I'm not alone. This movie was made because for so many years, the fans talked about it, and requested it, and this big question over who was tougher became so huge, that Hollywood knew this would be a money maker, and it was, and was the number one film in the box office for two straight weeks in a row.

.....The movie is what it is. It's a popcorn and soda film. It's just entertaining and fun. I wasn't expecting to go in and see some "deep" Oscar worthy picture, nor did I think it was going to be the scariest movie ever made. It's more like an action/comedy. I think all we really wanted to see was Freddy and Jason fight. I think kids and sensitive viewers who don't watch lot of horror may be a little disturbed by some of the scenes, but other then that, I think it is very watchable and works as a stand-alone film.

Every time I watch this movie I am reminded of Camp HacknSlash and Salt Lick BBQ as well as all those feelings of excitement I had going into this movie. It was also the very first official Freddy and Jason film I ever saw from start to finish, and in the theater to top it off, so that is another reason why it's a favorite. This was also the final movie that the orginial Freddy and Jason appear in, so it's a very bittersweet kind of film. I'm happy the orginial Freddy and Jason worked so well together, and that their final movie was a movie that fans wanted to see for so long, and that it was so succesful.

Sixx
04-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Because I like them very much. More than the films that are not my favorite films.

There.