PDA

View Full Version : Opinion's on Independent Wrestling and Lucha Libre in the US

Jordan
04-13-2010, 04:38 PM
This is a forum to discuss your thoughts on Independent Wrestling and Lucha Libre.

What I really intend is to discuss the combination of the two elements and the success that is being made because of it. A lot of companies are featuring Lucha on the card or incorporating it into their company style. ROH has done this off and on for the history of the company, Chikara is probably best described as an American Lucha promotion. And new companies like Lucha VaVoom are having influence on the country with their breed of zany masked characters like Dirty Sanchez and Blue Deamon Jr., as well as the amazingly tough Cassandro.

What is is about Lucha that is so hip? The masks? The Style? Or just the potential silliness of it all?

If you haven't seen a lucha company, you should seek it out. It took me years before I was able to enjoy Lucha on a consistent basis. I am learning about the companies from Mexico, which is a strong strong market for Wrestling.

In a way US Lucha is a derivative of Japanese Lucha, the people who know, know what I am talking about.

In a way for looking to a true alternative to WWE, Lucha seems to be the hottest difference in my opinion. I really hope that the Viva La Lucha PPV's take off in a big way. I'd love to see a serious alternative to WWE's brand of Pro Wrestling.

One could see Lucha as inferior to WWE's sports entertainment, however I see it as a totally different seed than WWE sprouts from. Thus making it a perfect way to latch onto a big mainstream audience. How many mexicans live in your town? How many times do you see them wearing Rey Mysterio or AAA or CMLL shirts? In NYC it is rampant, as well in Tennessee where I am originally from.

Lucha is a huge business that somebody needs to tap into big time. In mean time, I am really enjoying the new stuff happening on the indy scene because of the influence.

Jordan
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
BTW... people hated the main event of The Big Bang, the Lucha Tag with Mango, Mysterioso, Blue Deamon Jr. and Super Parka... I loved it. Sure it shouldn't have been in the main event, but it really wasn't as much of a dud as everyone said. I was really entertained by it and the fans made it seem like it was important.

kareru
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
i would have much preferred la parka instead of super parka

Jordan
04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Is there a difference? I thought it was just an updated gimmick.

kareru
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
nah super parka is la parka's uncle, he's 53 years old but he can still stick and move

Jordan
04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah I remember Kevin Kelly mentioned Super Parka made his debut in 1976 I was like HOLY SHIT WCW didn't know what they had. Haha, although honestly they did use La Parka very well.

Fignuts
04-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Really want to see Dr. Wagner Jr. He's easily one of the best technical wrestlers ever.

Jordan
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I like the heavyweight Luchadores, Blue Deamon Jr. is the king. It's awesome how nostalgic that kind of wrestler can be. It's kind of like Mr. Wrestling, just simple tights and mask, but the charisma can really show through when a guy puts the mask on.