PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Wrestlers

Wolfpack423
04-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Who are some wrestlers that you feel were talented and could have good matches but were overlooked or if they were champion just not given a decent run.

I have three guys that I feel were underrated. I personally have always felt Diamond Dallas Page was really underrated. He had great matches with Macho Man Randy Savage, Curt Hennig, Chris Benoit, Raven, Goldberg, Sting, Scott Steiner etc. He, in my opinion, is one of the franchise players for WCW. Yes he was a two time champ, but his reigns lasted two weeks for his first one and two weeks for his second one. The Diamond Cutter is one of the greatest moves of all time and before Orton was doing the RKO, it was viewed as the best finisher. He always brought his A Game and had good charisma, great theme music and a decent move set. I may be biased because I am a huge DDP fan ever since 1997 and just feel he doesn't get his due.

Dean Malenko one of the greatest members of the Four Horsement, solid wrestler put on outstanding matches as Cruiserweight and United States Champion, great rivalry with Chris Jericho, he was extremely over in 1998, The Texas Cloverleaf is one of my favorite moves ever be it submission or pinning combination. He didn't have great mic skills but like Benoit could get it done in the ring. One of my all time favorite tag teams is Benoit and Malenko when they were in the Four Horsemen. He was short and maybe that is why he wasn't given the push to the World Title, but he definitely was capable of being World Champ, he was a believable contendor and the crowd could get behind him.

Now many people might balk at this one but I really feel Disco Inferno is one of the most underrated guys ever. Yeah okay he was like Travolta in Saturday Night Fever, but he had amazing charisma, fans always reacted to his matches, he had wrestling ability in my opinion, and usually had a good match.

KayfabeMan
04-20-2010, 01:41 PM
DDP definitely belongs at the top of the list.

Owen Hart was another guy who was underrated as well.

DLVH84
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Brad Armstrong - Great technical wrestling ability, always had a positive attitude. He was the last WCW World Light Heavyweight Champion and his WCW Cruiserweight title match with Dean Malenko at Slamboree '96, showcased a lot of technique. I think WCW never really gave Brad a push, because he wasn't a "character." He was a wrestler.

Swiss Ultimate
04-20-2010, 01:47 PM
lol

Next Big Thing
04-20-2010, 02:09 PM
DDP is definitely a guy who paid his dues, appealed to the fans, and doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Malenko... eh. In terms of skills he's definitely one of the greatest of all time. But I think a good wrestler is so much more than technical skills. He became known as the "ice man" to cover up for the fact that the guy had no business with a mic in his hand and never expressed any emotion in the ring unlike Chris "Silent but Violent" Benoit who wasn't great on the mic but you could tell in the ring he was telling a story and killing himself to win.

redoneja
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Pillman. Maybe not by people in the business or Net fans but I definitely think he's a guy that's been "forgotten" and isn't held at as a high regard as he should be by longtime casual fans.

Probably due to his untimely death, his lack of in ring work during his Loose Cannon years because of his injury, and the fact that it's been 13 years since his death.

Nicky Fives
04-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I always liked Val Venis/Sean Morley...... he was over as hell during the Attitude Era and was well-above average in the ring..... But DDP, Owen & Armstrong are great selections as well

Rammsteinmad
04-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas!

And Dean Malenko. :D

Rammsteinmad
04-20-2010, 02:27 PM
And Carlito.

Rammsteinmad
04-20-2010, 02:27 PM
And... come to think of it, most of WWE's undercard right now. :(

Joesgonnakillyou
04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Malenko is an obvious (and a good) choice, and I thought his stuff with Lita proved he was pretty good in comedy skits. He was just better as 'the shooter'. I've never seen anything wrong with Wrestlers who's characters are just that they are efficient, professional and serious wrestlers but apparantly people do.

I think if we can include DDP as underrated, we can include Mr. Perfect, and Rick Matel actually. Bam Bam Bigelow was underrated as well. MVP is underrated to the point of ruin now.

The MCMG are underrated by TNA as they really should have been tag champs by now.

Joesgonnakillyou
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM
JBL was underrated by smarks. He was in some really good matches

The Jayman
04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Kane

sa
04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Scotty 2 Hotty, Sabu, Rene Dupree, Val Venis, Cody Deaner, Trevor Murdock!!

The Show Off
04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
The MCMG are underrated by TNA as they really should have been tag champs by now.

Motor City Machine Guns should be like the DX of TNA. They should be the main focal point of the show aside from the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

Johnny Vegas
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
DDP definitely. He is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. There wasn't a "weakness" about him as far as im concerned.

Definitely should be an inducted into the HOF in the near future.

Th3R0CKSays
04-20-2010, 07:09 PM
DDP is at the top of that list. 3 Time, 3 Times, 3 Time world champ... A combined reign of 29 days.. that is pretty bad.

I would put William Regal on that list as well.

Beth Phoenix Fan
04-20-2010, 07:11 PM
The Masterpiece Chris Masters deserves to be wwe champ

Scott Hall

Rick Martel

Marty Jannetty

Th3R0CKSays
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
how in the blue hell does Chris Masters deserve to be the WWE Champ?

Beth Phoenix Fan
04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
how in the blue hell does Chris Masters deserve to be the WWE Champ?

I am not stating a fact, It is my Damn opinion

Booker T : Now can you dig that........SUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XCaliber
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Off the top of my head:

Scott Hall
D'Lo Brown
Curt Hennig
Gregory Helms
Paul Burchill

redoneja
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Rick Martel is good one.

Also, Rick Steiner.

Fat Aaron
04-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Motor City Machine Guns should be like the DX of TNA. They should be the main focal point of the show aside from the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

:y:

The Gold Standard
04-21-2010, 12:28 AM
Shelton...Shelton...Shelton...and...Shelton

Favre4Ever
04-21-2010, 01:02 AM
I am going to get killed for this but Booker T comes to mind for me.

midLfinger
04-21-2010, 02:37 AM
It's funny (and probably very telling) how one man's underrated wrestler is another man's overrated wrestler. I would assume that is the reason why a lot of these guys didn't get where we feel they should've. That said:

Rick Rude
Shelton Benjamin
Owen Hart
Mike Awesome
Christian

Brigstocke
04-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Gangrel
Robert Roode

RiX1024
04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Mybe some of you might disagree:

DDP
Paul Burchill
Shelton Benjamin
Charlie Haas
Christian
Pillman
Owen
Lance Storm
Jerry Lynn
Doug Williams
Kazarian

KayfabeMan
04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Also, Johnny B. Badd / Marc Mero.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Jamie Noble
Crash Holly

Joesgonnakillyou
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Also, Johnny B. Badd / Marc Mero.

yikes..

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
I agree with many that have been listed here. Charlie Haas, Val Venis and Paul Burchill all come to mind. All tremendous talents that did not achieve as much they should have. But there are also some guys who are underrated by the IWC. R-Truth comes to mind. The dude is a pretty solid talent whatever way you cut the cheese. I would truthfully enjoy a heel run from him.

TannerLittleton
04-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Male wrestlers: Raven,Owen Hart,Christian,DDP,Rick Rude,Shelton Benjamin and Curt Hennig. Female wrestlers: Katie Lea,Natalya Neidhart,Victoria(WWE),Gail Kim and to a degree Lita.

Damian Rey
04-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Male wrestlers: Raven,Owen Hart,Christian,DDP,Rick Rude,Shelton Benjamin and Curt Hennig. Female wrestlers: Katie Lea,Natalya Neidhart,Victoria(WWE),Gail Kim and to a degree Lita.

Katie Lea yes. Lita is a yes. Victoria and Natalya are constantly praised here.

DAMN iNATOR
04-22-2010, 02:50 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzqjweutbZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzqjweutbZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nicky Fives
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzqjweutbZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzqjweutbZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have no idea why this guy wasn't pushed to the moon..... he had the perfect gimmick as well

KayfabeMan
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM
yikes..

Obviously you've never watched early 1990's WCW.

Mero put on tremendous matches with EVERYONE and a broomstick. He had great matches against even the jobber / enhancement guys, and was solid in the ring - as well as ridiculously over with the fans.

His WWF run was so / so, but that was 50% booking and 50% Mero seeming to not care anymore at that point, which was pretty common among a lot of workers at the time, not just him.

DLVH84
04-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Obviously you've never watched early 1990's WCW.

Mero put on tremendous matches with EVERYONE and a broomstick. He had great matches against even the jobber / enhancement guys, and was solid in the ring - as well as ridiculously over with the fans.

His WWF run was so / so, but that was 50% booking and 50% Mero seeming to not care anymore at that point, which was pretty common among a lot of workers at the time, not just him.

I agree with you on his WWF run. His run in WCW was better.

Ultra Mantis
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
And Carlito.

:y:

Carlito has been consistently great on Superstars for the past few weeks. Hopefully he will keep it up.

KayfabeMan
04-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Also, Jeff Jarrett.