PDA

View Full Version : Madden 11

Kalyx triaD
04-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Each of the 32 NFL teams has its complete playbook represented in Madden. Cummings gave me another startling statistic: while each playbook has, on average, 350 plays, gamers tended to stick to a mere thirteen of them -- that’s only 3.7%. Most folks have their own “money” plays -- the ones that they go to when they absolutely need to pick up some yards -- and they might have a short list of standbys as well. But those plays probably span a small cross-section of the entire playbook; the game doesn’t really encourage you to (or demand that you) explore the playcalling screen.

Having established that playcalling in Madden is flawed, what could EA Tiburon do to fix it -- and make it more realistic? After all, as Cummings noted, a real coach doesn’t flip through hundreds of plays in the forty seconds that he has to pick one; instead, all the plays at his disposal are broken down by situation -- for example, he might have four different plays that he likes to run on 2nd-and-short, and he’ll choose one of them. Tiburon’s solution to the playcalling problem is a complete redesign called GameFlow.

GameFlow takes playcalling out of your hands -- “the coordinator is calling the plays for you,” said Cummings. Instead of fumbling through formations in the playcalling screen, you simply hit A (X on the PS3), and the computer selects a play for you based on the situation. But GameFlow isn’t merely “Ask Madden” in disguise; it’s a brilliant revamp of a system that’s been around for so long that you probably didn’t even think it could be done better. In one stroke, it vastly streamlines and shortens the process of playing a Madden game, while incorporating real NFL football in an unprecedented way.

In designing GameFlow, Tiburon looked at NFL game film from the 2009 season to determine each team’s playcalling tendencies. From that data, they created a bank of plays for each offensive situation you might find yourself in. Say you’re playing as the Colts, and it’s 1st-and-10. If you hit A/X to use GameFlow, the computer will pick from a selection of plays that the Colts actually tended to run on 1st-and-10 last year. In addition, every play in the game (offense and defense) has a corresponding voice-over that explains what it's designed to do, or what to look for. Of course, if you’re scoffing as you read this, fear not: you can always press X (square on PS3) to delve into your full playbook, just like the old days.

But Madden 11 even takes the extra step of encouraging old-school playcallers to use GameFlow by including a complementary “gameplanning” setup. If you shudder to think of the CPU picking a play for you, then you can go in and customize the banks of plays yourself, so GameFlow will be choosing from your list of plays. For example, if you decide that you don’t like what the Giants called on third-and-short in 2009, then you can set one to fifteen plays that you want GameFlow to pick from in that situation. Since you’re likely to have preferences among that list of plays, gameplanning includes an iTunes-style five-star weighting system -- a play with a 4.5-star rating will be chosen much more often than one with two stars. The same setup applies for defense, only the situations correspond to the formation in which the offense is lined up instead of a particular down and yardage. Best of all, you can use your gameplan online.

I’ve discussed GameFlow in depth, but it’s just one of a host of improvements and additions to Madden 11. “We scrapped our entire locomotion engine and rewrote it,” said Cummings, launching into a discussion of the much more realistic movement of the players in this game. The agility rating means something in Madden 11 -- players have momentum, meaning that they’ll have to actually plant a foot before switching their direction. And now, instead of simply going for the guys with 99 speed, you’ll want to consider their acceleration, too: a lower acceleration attribute means that a player will take longer to reach his top speed, which gives defenders a better chance of catching up to him before he takes off for the end zone.

Along with the all-new movement system is a new dual-stick control setup for ball carriers. Tiburon took inspiration from EA Canada’s NHL and FIFA games, stripping out a “turbo” button and mapping specific moves to the right analog stick. The upper half of the right stick controls your upper body, while pushing left, right, or down will affect your legs. By pushing upward, you can lean forward to “truck” a defender (like you’d do with, say, Brandon Jacobs). You can then roll the stick to the right or left to lean in those directions, which will avoid the brunt of a hit.

The more impressive motion comes from the new “legs” controls, though. Madden 11 finally gives you the ability to approximate the dirty, ankle-breaking, how-the-hell-did-he-do-that moves of an agile running back such as Chris Johnson. Flicking the RS right or left will plant the respective foot, and since your player will plant as quickly as you can move the stick, you can “bounce” on your feet, shifting your weight left and right until you decide on a direction and make one last cut to go there. Combine this with spin moves (push downward, then roll left or right), and you can make defenders look silly. The dual-stick setup in Madden 11 allows for more nuanced ball carrier control than I’ve ever seen before. (Note: Tiburon is bringing both the new locomotion engine and the dual-stick controls to NCAA Football 11.)

Tiburon has also made a couple of other upgrades to the gameplay, fixing issues that have plagued the series for years. At long last, they’ve implemented sideline catching AI, so receivers will do their best to keep their feet in-bounds while holding onto the ball. Feel free to bring fade and out routes into your repertoire this year! The sight of a receiver dragging his toes brought a smile to my face. In addition, Cummings told me that “run blocking has received a major overhaul.” Cummings showed me a visual representation of this: you’ll see the assignments of your offensive linemen laid out in the pre-snap play art. And when I ran a sweep, I noticed that my lead blocker who was pulling to the outside no longer peeled off his man and left him free to tackle me; instead, he remained engaged in a block.

Madden 11 also looked better than its predecessor, and art director Mike Young explained that the team hadn’t even put in its improved lighting model yet. (As you can see, they’ve also made an effort to include more accurate player faces.) Not only is Tiburon building on the success of Madden 10, they’re doing what gamers have always demanded of them: going out on a limb and innovating. GameFlow is a big risk -- as Cummings noted, “It’s kind of a radical change.” That’s the type of iteration that keeps a long-running franchise fresh and at the top of its game, and Tiburon looks to be doing it right.

RoXer
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Presentation is whats holding this franchise back. I played the demo of NCAA Basketball 10 a while ago and commented on how awesome it was that you could switch between CBS and ESPN style broadcasts.

Could you imagine if EA took full advantage of the NFL license by incorporating all the network broadcasts into their game? NFL network, FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN for Monday Night Football?

During the loading screens, the game cuts to the pregame crew of whichever broadcast you selected. If it's in a season, they talk about earlier games, show highlights, discuss matchups for the game you selected. If it's just a quick game they talk about previos games between the two teams, interesting facts, whatever. When it's done loading, Bob Costas/James Brown/ whoever the fuck send it out to Al Michaels/Jim Nantz/ whoever the fuck but only after a CGI Faith Hill sings Football Night/Hank Williams get us ready for football while showing actual highlights of your season during the montage. Cut to a panoramic shot of the stadium with realistic crowd. If it's a Ravens game, a CGI Ray Lewis comes out and does his thing. Realistic intros for each team. The play-by-play announcers talk about keys to the game that actually mean something. EA cuts a deal with the NFL to record the audio feed of the announcers to use it in the game in weekly updates.

That's where this game should be right now. The technology is available to provide updated audio clips for the broadcasters every week to make it feel like you're actually watching a game.

I don't give two flying shits about the playbook.

Kalyx triaD
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
>>> NFL 2k5

Requiem
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, the presentation of the Madden games leaves a lot to be desired. But the new movement sounds awesome.

FearedSanctity
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/108/1086020/madden-nfl-11-20100425100104842-000.jpg

Team Sheep
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I love Madden 10, was a huge improvement. Hope this takes yet another leap forward.

DAMN iNATOR
04-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Box Art featuring QB Drew Brees:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Madden_NFL_11_Xbox_360.jpg

Team Sheep
04-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Weird logo.

Kalyx triaD
04-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Looks like it did for the last... 5 years?

DaveBrawl
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/108/1086020/madden-nfl-11-20100425100104842-000.jpg

:heart:

Gonzo
04-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Looks like it did for the last... 5 years?

Nah, font is different.

Kalyx triaD
04-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Ah, I see now. Military?

DAMN iNATOR
04-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Yeah that's sorta what the word "MADDEN" on the box looks like is a military stencil type font.

Anywho, I'm not too big on the whole concept of completely giving up my ability to call my own plays. I know it says if you don't like the sound of it you can make like a custom playbook of your own for certain situations, but it will limit the amount of custom plays you can substitute in...I hope they'll at least have a way of toggling GameFlow on and off.

Kalyx triaD
04-27-2010, 03:32 AM
Pressing X will give you the same old complete playbook.

D Mac
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM

sucks

Funky Fly
04-27-2010, 05:18 AM
These sports games should be every other year with Roster updates during the gameless years. It's be nice to see real development on these titles.

D Mac
04-27-2010, 06:39 AM
These sports games should be every other year with Roster updates during the gameless years. It's be nice to see real development on these titles.

Yeah as long as people keep buying them every year and making them more money, it aint happenin.

Big Fat Mike
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Tim Threebow

Tim Kneetoe

Gonzo
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Yeah. I won't support another EA football title until there is a new engine based on some sort of technology that resembles real world physics. That is unlikely to happen until the next round of consoles, but, so be it.

D Mac
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
<object id='vid_3268886' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=madden11_feat_src_lionswins&object=36265'/></object><div style='width:480;'><a href='http://ps3.ign.com/objects/036/036265.html'>More Madden NFL 11 Info</a></div>

lol that is awesome. OBAMA

RoXer
07-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Gunna set up the league thing tonight probly

FearedSanctity
07-27-2010, 01:36 AM
LOL, so when EA is told the game needs better presentation. They add yelling, a serious business narration over the usual SB celebration, 5 seconds of parade and for whatever reason meeting the president?

HOW ABOUT A PROPER HALFTIME/POSTGAME SHOW? Still no? 6 years still not enough to do what 2k did on the fucking PS2? Christ.

RoXer
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
lol WHERE IS THE CROWD? Please tell me this just some demo glitch and won't be in the real game.

Skippord
07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
are you playing as the Jaguars?

Disturbed316
07-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Not impressed with the demo, seems like everyone has forgotten how to catch.

RoXer
07-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Disgusting

- I love Gus Johnson but I guess I only love him in real life because he is terrible in this game.

- There's no crowd noise. None. I think they did it so you can hear the coordinator but hopefully that will be fixed when the real game comes out. And then there's no sound or music or anything when showing highlights. Weird.

- Speaking of the coordinator, I had to turn it off because he was fucking annoying and didn't add anything to the game. I can't imagine anyone will be using that feature.

- GameFLOW is terrible. Just terrible. Couldn't even play a whole quarter with it.

- Hot Routes/Line Shifts/Coverage is now used with the D-Pad. I don't like it but I can get used to it. They probly changed it to make GameFlow easier to use.

- Kicking meter will take some getting used to. Missed some easy FGs on overtime which killed me.

- Had difficulties running the ball, but that was against the Jets so...

- After every quarter, the same cutscene plays. Your QB is talking to a coach who sprays invisible water into the QB's mouth.

ugh

RoXer
07-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Not impressed with the demo, seems like everyone has forgotten how to catch.

Nah, I was tearing it up with Peyton. Running against the Jets was a different story though. The game ended 3-6 but I was doing a lot of bonehead moves.

Evil Vito
07-27-2010, 05:10 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah I'm not willing to plop down $60 on this.</font>

Legendary624
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
First play through:

27-13 victory for the Jets. Shon Greene- 13 carries for 153 yards.

Now keep in mind this is second year player Shon Greene. Not Chris Johnson or even AP. I think I'll stick with NCAA this year. Nothing really impressed me in comparison with last years version. I assume the repetitive cut scenes and audio will be fixed for release day. Anyways, I'll probably have a different opinion after another play through but I'm highly skeptical. I'll pass.

FearedSanctity
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
-Gus Johnson is cool. This game makes him a joke.

-Running is stupid hard.

-Gonna take forever to remember that turbo is gone.

-This coordinator thing can fuck off. Same with GameFlow.

-Like the new kicking meter. The old spinny cone with the line was retarded.

-Agree with the stupid cutscene after every quarter.

Several other things that aren't worth my time.

If EA would stop doing what they'd like with the game and actually listen to the fucking fans Madden would be solid every year.

The joke about Madden being nothing but a roster update every year isn't even relevant anymore. The last few years they just keep cutting and raping current features while half-assedly adding something we had back in Madden '04 every once in a while.

You've found a way to shorten online games? Cool. Problem is you fucked up several other things in the process.

RoXer
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Canceling my preorder. I'll just Goozex it.

alvarado52
07-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Canceling my preorder. I'll just Goozex it.

Then youre gonna have to pay $10 to play online if EA has something to say about it.

RoXer
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
1000 Goozex points = $50
Online = $10
Plus I'll have to wait a few months

And I forgot I used a coupon so it's $55.10 from amazon. I guess I'm not cancelling my preorder.

D Mac
07-28-2010, 01:04 AM
You guys it's just a DEMO. They probably had to cut some shit down to make it into a reasonable download size.

Emperor Smeat
07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Based on the Nintendo Power review for the Wii version, it looks like the commentary is going to be the weakest part of the game like last year.

They said it repeats way too much but did say adding Gus Johnson was a good idea even if he doesn't fit well with Madden in his debut.

Gonzo
07-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Tom Hammond's voice was so annoying to me.

Bring back John Madden commentary.

D Mac
07-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah I like Johnson. He get's more exited then Hammond.

D Mac
07-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Tom Hammond's voice was so annoying to me.

Bring back John Madden commentary.

And Al Micheals.

Kalyx triaD
07-30-2010, 08:51 PM
http://kotaku.com/5601063/classic-pre+snap-controls-will-be-patched-into-madden-11

RoXer
07-30-2010, 09:12 PM
The guy who left a comment hit it on the head. If their goal was to slow down the speed of presnap hotroutes (something I can get behind), they should have simply added an animation of maybe the QB motioning to the player and the player motioning to the QB and not allow another change until that animation is complete. Maybe like 2-3 seconds. It doesn't seem like much but like the author said:

"I can do better than that on offense. I could slide protect left, streak both split ends, drag the tight end and call blocking assignments for both backs out of the shotgun and snap the ball, coming to the line with ten seconds on the play clock."

That can burn off 16-20 seconds easily while still keeping the controls the same. NCAA 08 had something similar to this, but only for away teams in loud stadiums.

That can be another attribute too. Player Composure or something. I'm all for it.

RoXer
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
But then it wouldn't be Quicker. Simpler. Deeper. :roll:

RoXer
07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
We're getting into something I think Kalyx has talked about a lot. How do you expand your franchise keeping the hardcore gamers happy while being accessible to beginners?

Kalyx triaD
07-30-2010, 09:58 PM
If the last few games trying just that are any indication, it's pretty much a hail mary effort.

It has been my observation, however, that while the hardcore fanbase are mostly the 'loud minority', most attempts at streamlining a game engine aren't even noticed by newbies.

Damned if you do...

Kalyx triaD
07-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Note: Kinda funny that the changes the Madden team included were fully backed by recorded statistics, which is as strong a basis as you can possibly have. I totally would have stood by my changes.

Making it an option is the safest save, though, from a PR perspective.

Gamers are a finicky bunch.

Emperor Smeat
07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
This wouldn't have been the 1st time EA has changed stuff in Madden such as adding an option in Madden 06/07 that prevented unrealistic 4th down plays (refusing to punt all the time). The big difference was the previous changes were an option while this new idea appeared to be a mandatory change before news of a patch was announced.

EA has also tested out "beginners" mode with Madden since 2002 with their Easy Play mode but sort of went overboard the last 2-3 Maddens on the Wii.

CSL
07-31-2010, 03:12 PM
It will get old and I'll probably turn it off in the full game but having the co-ordinator audio coming through your headset is a cool little gimmick.

Kalyx triaD
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Note: Kinda funny that the changes the Madden team included were fully backed by recorded statistics, which is as strong a basis as you can possibly have. I totally would have stood by my changes.

Making it an option is the safest save, though, from a PR perspective.

Gamers are a finicky bunch.

And Dtoid.com agrees:

If you thought that developers ignored feedback from consumers, here's some evidence to refute that belief. The Madden NFL 11 demo came out last week, and since its launch, hardcore Madden fans -- who, apparently, are all old dogs who refuse to learn new tricks -- have taken to message boards and Twitter to whine and moan about the new system for pre-play adjustments.

In Madden NFL 11, EA Tiburon has moved everything to the D-pad (dubbed the "Strategy Pad"); until now, different controls triggered different adjustments. For example, pressing Y/triangle on offense would let you alter receivers' routes, while you could adjust linebacker positioning on defense with RB/R1. These combinations have long since been entered into muscle memory for veteran Madden players (including yours truly); learning a new scheme -- a setup that requires extra button presses, in some cases -- seems daunting. So Madden die-hards exercised their inalienable right to hop online and b*tch, shouting things like "it wasn't broke, why'd you mess with it" at the developers.

But as creative director Ian Cummings asserts, "it was in fact broke." In a blog post on the game's official site, he explained the development team's decision to introduce the Strategy Pad. Cummings brought out four strong arguments in favor of making a change from the old system, including some damning statistics derived from Madden NFL 10 data that EA Tiburon tracked [emphasis in original]:

"...did you know that over 2 BILLION defensive hot route context states were entered in Madden NFL 10? That's an average of more than 5 million per day. We discovered that of this number, more than 50% never called an actual hot route. So on more than 1 BILLION occasions, a gamer accidentally went into a pre-play contextual state that they didn't mean to. As a game designer, you just can't choose to ignore that..it's [sic] staggering."

Those numbers make two things clear to me: (1) switching to the Strategy Pad makes complete sense, and (2) hardcore Madden fans are a very small (but very vocal) minority. In light of the data, I'm siding with EA Tiburon here, and after spending a few hours with a final build of Madden NFL 11, I can say that the process of training my fingers to the Strategy Pad (and forgetting the old system) is well under way.

Even so, the loud longtime Madden players are getting their wish: in the wake of the backlash, Cummings promised that an upcoming patch -- tentatively set for release in early September -- will bring an option to go back to the old pre-play adjustment controls. My advice? Just suffer through the Strategy Pad learning process, because I don't think the new system is going away anytime soon.

This article touches on something much greater that rears itself in the fighting game community. I'd personally blog about it but I haven't the platform to have it appreciated.

RoXer
08-02-2010, 01:01 PM
"...did you know that over 2 BILLION defensive hot route context states were entered in Madden NFL 10? That's an average of more than 5 million per day. We discovered that of this number, more than 50% never called an actual hot route. So on more than 1 BILLION occasions, a gamer accidentally went into a pre-play contextual state that they didn't mean to. As a game designer, you just can't choose to ignore that..it's [sic] staggering."

How do they get this data? If they go based on the player pressing Y then down, the player goes into press coverage. Yes, no "hot route" was called but it's still a change to the defense. If they go by how many times the player changes the hot route, then the number should be 100% seeing as how the hot route was called and performed.

Do you get what I'm saying?

So a "a pre-play contextual state that they didn't mean to" is something that they might have actually meant to do.

Kalyx triaD
08-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm sure they could discern any inputs pressed after Y shiftkey (including dpad commands). I'll give EA that much credit.

RoXer
08-02-2010, 01:17 PM
It would be like Activision saying they're moving the grenade throw to RS because the RB was pressed 2 billion times but only 1 billion grenades were thrown. Leaving them to conclude that the RB was accidentally pressed those other billion times. But RB can also tac insert, blast shield, plant claymore etc. and not just throw grenades.

RoXer
08-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm sure they could discern any inputs pressed after Y shiftkey (including dpad commands). I'll give EA that much credit.

I do too.

So then the number should be 100%. You don't "accidentally" call a hot route.

Kalyx triaD
08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe the controls are more complicated than you or I imagined for most people.

RoXer
08-02-2010, 01:27 PM
No. Something's fishy.

Kalyx triaD
08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Calm down, Mulder.

D Mac
08-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Played a game with pregame gameplan and Gameflow with headset on and coach talking to me through it and kinda liked it.

Evil Vito
08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Played the demo. Sucks. The coordinator talking in your headset could be a cool touch in the future, but right now it's the same 10 or so phrases repeated over and over again by the same voice. But gameplay wise it just feels the same, not worth a $60 investment.

Also, watched the Giants' Super Bowl celebration vid. "This team bounced back after missing the playoffs two year in a row" umm no, they only missed the playoffs one year. Retards. Furthermore, I'd have to assume the commentary is removed after one year cause otherwise it becomes inaccurate, and Obama is probably removed after a few years as well.</font>

Kalyx triaD
08-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Fuck Madden. Fuck players of Madden.

D Mac
08-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah I'm gonna rent this first. If it aint leaps and bounds over Madden 10 then I'll just keep that.

D Mac
08-10-2010, 06:33 AM
8.0 from IGN. Madden 10 got an 8.9. I may not be buying after all.

IC Champion
08-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Who the fucks plays an old sporting game? Its 59 dollars for the new game. OH NO IT's rated .9 lower this year? OMGGGGZZZZ. I fukcing hate the gaming community so much.

alvarado52
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
i dont trust IGN scores anyway. I usually go on Joystiq because they post multiple scores, or metacritic.

Requiem
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Nah, that is exactly what people need to do. Stop buying the fucking games if they are not a significant improvement over the last. EA has a monopoly on NFL right now, and they're doing a generally shitty job with it. Buying it right away doesn't encourage them to put out a quality product.

Requiem
08-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I mean seriously.. $60 to some people is a decent chunk. I sure as hell am not going to pay $60 for the same game, with a few changes. Not if it's not better than the last. And what do you mean "Who plays an old sporting game?" like it is a bad thing. People play other games even though they are several years old. Why should sporting games be any different? Just because there's a new one, you HAVE to stop playing the old ones that you actually enjoy?

IC Champion
08-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Nah, that is exactly what people need to do. Stop buying the fucking games if they are not a significant improvement over the last. EA has a monopoly on NFL right now, and they're doing a generally shitty job with it. Buying it right away doesn't encourage them to put out a quality product.

Madden 11 is completely different from 10. And I don't know how much longer EA will have a monopoly, as the NFL recently lost an anti-trust case involving the same principles.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-10-2010, 01:52 PM
8.0 from IGN. Madden 10 got an 8.9. I may not be buying after all.

lol IGN. Like their scores have consistency.

Madden 11 is completely different from 10. And I don't know how much longer EA will have a monopoly, as the NFL recently lost an anti-trust case involving the same principles.

I'd normally agree with Req, but IC is right this time. It is a much better game than '10. I kept '09 and only rented '10, it wasn't worth the cash. But '11 is much more than a roster update.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Who the fucks plays an old sporting game?

That's the most retarded thing I've read though

If you ran out and bought 10 when you had 09, I could probably sell you the same shirt you're wearing with a stripe I drew down the middle.

IC Champion
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
MAybe I like to play online against other people and in a month nobody will be plying 10. Happenes every year.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I played '09 all the way up until they shut off the servers. No trouble finding a game ever. Got a lot of friends who play so I never needed 10, we just played 09 at mine.

Got 11 2nd hand and will never play online, even when I get my new 360. Not paying to pay online when it will only last 18 months.

IC Champion
08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
fucking gamers man, spend all that money on a system and plays games all day, but buys a second hand game and wont pay 10 dollars for online. It's not you, but gamers in general.

Kalyx triaD
08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree:

- Gamers are the cancer.
- IGN has a busted review score 'system'
- EA needs to lose NFL's hold. I've yet to see the gamer advantages they preached when the deal dropped.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
fucking gamers man, spend all that money on a system and plays games all day, but buys a second hand game and wont pay 10 dollars for online. It's not you, but gamers in general.

Is not about games though. I'd be pissed if I spent $60 on a pair of jeans and they didn't last me 18 months. But there's enough people who are fine with companies squeezing the last penny out of the consumer by making sub-par products while driving prices up.

I'm not going to make a campaign out of it, but at the same time, I'm not going to contribute my money to them. It's like a vote for a 3rd party, if enough people did it, it would make a difference but I can't give my money to a company who makes a half-arsed sports game "upgrade" more often than not, then shuts off their servers 18 months down the line.

Put it this way, the only reason there was effort put into seriously changing Madden '11 was because sales of '10 were "disappointing". Their first instinct was to kill the Madden '09 servers because a lot of people were still playing that. Still didn't spark the sales they wanted so they've put effort in the gameplay. So the people voted with their wallets last year and it worked because Madden '11 is pretty damn good. I just don't trust them not to go back to old habits after '12 is released.

D Mac
08-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Rented it. Not bad really. Does anyone else get a good 2 or 3 second pause in the action sometimes? I got it a couple of times. Annoying. Franchise mode is EXACTLY the same as last year. The Extra Point show in Franchise is too.

What is awesome tho is that they have the chant in Arrowhead stadium when the Chiefs make a touchdown: "We're gonna beat the heck (hell really, but cut out) out of you, YOU, YOU, YOU!"

Might buy it later on. Dunno yet.

Droford
08-11-2010, 04:13 AM
Who the fucks plays an old sporting game? Its 59 dollars for the new game. OH NO IT's rated .9 lower this year? OMGGGGZZZZ. I fukcing hate the gaming community so much.

Im still playing 07 on the Wii which I got the day the wii launched.

IC Champion
08-11-2010, 12:52 PM
What I've learned is that most of you are cheap.

Hanso Amore
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I bought it.

FUCKING TIGHT. Best Madden game of the Next Gen by FAR

IC Champion
08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Only things I don't like are field goals/kick offs and the new audiables, though Im sure ill adjust. Also they cut a good portion of the play book which sucks since I use all the sets.

Gonzo
08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
If anyone has this and wants to play on 360, PM me. I'll get you my gamer tag then. Also, don't bother if you play like a fuckhead, aka scramble around all the time, throw bombs every play, try to nano blitz etc.

Hanso Amore
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I am already sick of the commentator, I need to find how to turn it off

Gonzo
08-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Eh fuck it, gamer tag is Primal Chaos 87, hit me up, I'll be on. Put a note or something in the friend request so I know who you are.

RoXer
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
What happened to wubanga?

RoXer
08-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I am already sick of the commentator, I need to find how to turn it off

Audio options

Gonzo
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
What happened to wubanga?

Subscription ran out and I just used a new card to get a new name. I don't remember really.

Hanso Amore
08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Audio options

love ya

CSL
08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Just found out I could have picked this up yesterday for a bit less than retail and it's not out here until tomorrow. Time I get into town tomorrow, the one copy is bound to be gone. The bastards :(

CSL
08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
They still had it in. All is good in the world.

RoXer
08-14-2010, 03:10 PM
STFU CHRIS COLLINSWORTH

D Mac
08-14-2010, 05:40 PM
So I'm getting a 2 to 3 second freeze after the snap at least once per game. Anyone else have this issue?

RoXer
08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah, occasionally. Its worse online

D Mac
08-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Hope they'll have a patch for that.

I'm pretty much commited to buying this since I bought coins to upgrade my Madden Ultimate Team. Prolly next weekend.

RoXer
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Fucking impossible to win an onside kick making this madden moment achievement ungettable

Triple A
08-15-2010, 08:21 PM
k bought this, probably will start playing soon.

RoXer
08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Let's play team tonight

RoXer
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Fucking impossible to win an onside kick making this madden moment achievement ungettable

Finally did this earlier today. It's complete luck. Practicing KIND OF helps but it's mostly based on a lucky bounce.

Now the only one I need is "Recover a Fight For the Fumble in the Endzone for a TD". I did it last year but can't do it this year.

Gonzo
08-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Anyone want to play right now?

Gonzo
08-16-2010, 01:07 AM
Damn Roxer, gg.

I was so pissed when Beanie Wells broke that run. Fucking breaks out of like 4 tackles. What the fuck.

RoXer
08-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah, those turnovers killed you. Pick 6 esp. Had injuries on both sides too which is never fun.

Yeah after he broke those tackles, he held the ball wirh one hand like palming it. I've never seen that animation before. Should have saved it.

Gonzo
08-16-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah. I felt I was doing well running "my offense" but after I got down by two scores it takes you out of your element.

Rematch, if not tomorrow then soon.

Team Sheep
08-16-2010, 01:22 PM
I'll get this when I go to New York next month when I'll have some cash :$

Fryza
08-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Picked it up, haven't played it, or even opened it, yet.

Hoping it's good. :(

Emperor Smeat
08-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Hate to be the Vikings long snapper center. He hasn't been in a Madden game for over 7 years even though he's been playing and never been cut during those years. Also has never been added to the game during roster updates either.

EA only has 1 long snapper center in the entire game (Giants and rated at 0), so they usually end up using the backup center on teams to act as the long snapper except for certain teams who carry three centers.

http://kotaku.com/5620892/vikings-long-snapper-is-pissed-hes-not-in-madden

Evil Vito
08-25-2010, 10:40 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I've never really understood why Madden doesn't follow real-life NFL roster rules. They obviously know them, since Head Coach pretty much has it to a tee.

53 man roster, only 45 guys eligible on game day. Pre-season rosters can be 80 guys (prevents you from releasing a bunch of guys in the off-season to sign all your draft picks only to find that your draft picks suck). They should also have the practice squad.</font>

CSL
09-07-2010, 04:32 PM
2nd patch/title update was release today, added new Madden Moments and some other stuff/fixes. Coolest part is adding the pink breast cancer gear/presentation for Play Now and Franchise modes though.

SaskatchewanChamp
09-08-2010, 11:34 PM
This game is shit!

Team Sheep
10-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Right I finally got this. It's definitely different. Right now I prefer last year's game but I'm sure I'll soon get used to this. Haven't had a chance to play properly yet. I'm 5-2 in Franchise on All-Pro and I don't think I've been playing very well, seems too easy to move down the field but defense is harder.

Team Sheep
10-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Just beat the Texans 70-35 on All-Pro. This game's stupid.

CSL
10-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Then play on All-Madden superstar

Team Sheep
10-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Well I have some close games then totally blow some team out like that with 70 points now and again. Pretty gay. All the old Maddens were a lot more realistic. Might step it up soon though too see what All-Madden is like but I'll probably get killed.

Team Sheep
10-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I do love the presentation though. All the ads like Old Spice and the music you hear at all the stadiums in real life before a kick off like Crazy Train and Welcome to the Jungle.

IC Champion
10-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Play online then, you will get smoked.

Team Sheep
10-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Well I know that. Never said I was good. The difficulty just seems wildly inconsistent.