PDA

View Full Version : the great comic book clash, issue 3: knights in satan's service

mitchables
05-09-2010, 02:19 AM
our fashion-impaired marksman extraordinaire hawkeye edged out a victory over green arrow in our last installment, proving once and for all that you don't have to look good to be good. now, gentle readers, prepare yourself for the next onslaught in our battles of biblical proportions as two dark souls from the depths of hell pick a bone with each other.

round three: ghost rider (aka. johnny blaze; marvel) vs. spawn (aka. al simmons; image)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/GhostRiderCVR001b.jpg vs http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Spawn_Classic.jpg

powers and abilities breakdown:

ghost rider
Superhuman strength, speed, agility, stamina and durability
Proficient in hand-to-hand combat skills
Invulnerability to heat and flame
Ability to project regular and ethereal flame
Ability to travel between interdimensional realms and along any surface
Can conjure a bike using Hellfire
Wields enchanted chain
Rides flaming motorcycle
"Penance Stare"
Wields shotgun that can produce Hellfire

spawn
Superhuman strength, speed, durability and endurance,
Immortality,
Flight,
Magical abilities,
Teleportation,
Shapeshifting,
Regenerative healing factor,
Necroplasmic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necroplasm) energy blasts,
Resurrection,
Empathy,
Wears living symbiotic costume capable of evolving

okay, give 'em... hell.

.44 Magdalene
05-09-2010, 02:43 AM
If they actually fought, Spawn would rape the ever loving fuck out of Ghost Rider. He'd shit in Ghost Rider's mouth, and then make him shit in Spawn's mouth so that Spawn could shit a combination of Ghost Rider's shit and his own double shit into Ghost Rider's mouth. I know, I know, "BUT BUT BUT PENANCE STARE" but Spawn has taken down whole god damn armies of angels and shit that pretty much could do the exact same thing Ghost Rider does. Spawn has proven that soul burning judgment from beyond is no big fucking deal when you're Al GOD DAMN Simmons.

That being said, I actually prefer Ghost Rider and will vote for him as such. Spawn got too over the top after a while.

mitchables
05-09-2010, 03:02 AM
you can kill a spawn by blowing its head off.

ghost rider has a motherfucking demon shotgun.

qed.

KIRA
05-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Gotta go with the Hellspawn,You can kill Spawn but he aint gonna stay dead.Plus that living suit can quite literally make him God."demon shotgun" my ass Al Simmons as a mortal man was cold enough to make hell itself sit up and notice him when Malbolga wants you as the head of hells army and heaven wants you dead you are doing something right.

Downunder
05-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Ghost rider - the other guy is a fag

Rammsteinmad
05-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Wow shit, was kinda expecting these to always be Marvel VS DC rounds. This was a tough choice, I love Ghost Rider, but come on Spawn FTW!

thedamndest
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Nic Cage v. Michael Jai White

McLegend
05-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Nic Cage does kinda hurt Ghost Rider.

Skippord
05-09-2010, 02:35 PM
No he doesn't

Ghost Rider is possibly my favorite comic book character ever

mitchables
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
how is 'empathy' a superpower, really?

mitchables
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
By the age of two, children normally begin to display the fundamental behaviors of empathy by having an emotional response that corresponds with another person.<sup id="cite_ref-27" class="reference">[28] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#cite_note-27)</sup>

the amazing abilities of spawn and every two-year-old on the planet, ladies and gentlemen

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
The "gifts" from the Greenworld were:

- Empathy strong enough to tell exactly what every person on the planet is feeling and where they are located
- Control over nature (can create huge woods, can move tectonic plates, can make tsunamis)

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Found that on another forum discussing Spawn's power, but that's presumably what his empathy is all about

KIRA
05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
By the age of two, children normally begin to display the fundamental behaviors of empathy by having an emotional response that corresponds with another person.<sup id="cite_ref-27" class="reference">[28] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathy#cite_note-27)</sup>

the amazing abilities of spawn and every two-year-old on the planet, ladies and gentlemen

HEY!.......shut up:)

I bet all the votes for ghost rider are really for that goddamn(but admittedly cool) bike of his

Vastardikai
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Spawn also lacks something that Ghost Rider Has: A bad ass song...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_e5r4ZyB6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_e5r4ZyB6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

KIRA
05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Spawn also lacks something that Ghost Rider Has: A bad ass song...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_e5r4ZyB6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n_e5r4ZyB6c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

All you Ghost Rider dicks can offically go fuck yourselves

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qr-XCsK5OfA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qr-XCsK5OfA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:shifty:

LuigiD
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
As bad ass as Ghost Rider is, I am going to have to give it to Spawn. Spawn not only has all those brutal powers but prior to acquiring them, he had extensive military training.

Nowhere Man
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
As much as I think Spawn embodies everything I hate about 90s comics, there's really nothing Ghost Rider can do that Spawn can't do better.

Juan
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Spawn

Kane Knight
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
This was tough in the sense that I like the idea of Spawn more, but at the end of the day, I like the Ghost Rider character more. I've never been a fan of McFarlane's writing, and a lot of his art satisfies that niche of dark and grotesque, but doesn't necessarily appeal to me.

Both movies sucked royal ass and I would like to kill all involved.

I was hoping not to vote for Marvel 3 times in a row. Ah well.

Spawn: Great idea. Ghost Rider: Better execution.

thedamndest
05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Your film may be in trouble when the best part about it is John Leguizamo.

Reavant
05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
spawn... wish i was him... enough said

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 07:41 PM

But not in as much trouble as when the best part about it is laughing at Nic Cage's hairplugs

Boondock Saint
05-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I'll go with Ghost Rider simply because Spawn is lame

thedamndest
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
But not in as much trouble as when the best part about it is laughing at Nic Cage's hairplugs

The Freak vs. the freaky

Kane Knight
05-09-2010, 07:45 PM

:rofl:

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
They are certainly two of the worst comic movies I've seen. The genre is also full of garbage, so that's saying something.
Ghost Rider is pretty much as bad as it gets. Spawn is a bit better than Ghost Rider, or other assorted crap like Fantastic Four, but that's not saying much at all.

Actually, in another thread when I was attempting to rank the top 10 superhero films, I noticed a sharp drop off in quality. I couldn't get much further than 7 or 8 places in without seeing a sudden decline from "damn good" to "not good enough to be on this list"
Very polarized genre when it comes to quality.

ClockShot
05-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Mephisto's "bounty hunter" vs. Satan's "general".

If memory serves me correct, if Spawn uses all of his power, he's deader than a door nail, end of story. Ghost Rider works only at night, and vulnerable during the day.

Both told the boss to shove it.

Ghost Rider got a nice bike, but Spawn can get his own whlist using his cape as seen in the movie.

My allegiance is with Marvel, but I'll give Spawn the edge. Both movies sucked and you really can't base an argument on that.

KIRA
05-09-2010, 08:53 PM
What kind of pussy has powers that only work at night.

:)

Kane Knight
05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Wait...I thought the Ghost Rider "only at night" thing was just for the movie.

I haven't read a recent GR comic, but I know Blaze used to turn into GR in the day in older comics.

KIRA
05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
In the earliest issues his powers only work at night'

In later issues he can turn them on whenever

Reavant
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
spawn now has near limitless power... or at least did. al simmons isnt spawn anymore apparently.

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I think the gimmick of having superhero gimmicks passed onto other characers is shit. It's been done to death in the past 10 or 15 years. I never liked it, and that's not going to change. It's the comic book equivalent of having lookalikes take on the Diesel and Razor personas.
Either that, or it's a cheap shakeup by having another established character don their costume and powers, as if it were a position in the workplace that had openings. In most cases, the hero persona and the real person behind it are intertwined, and defined by eachother. It's part of what makes the characters compelling.

Fignuts
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Mitch, I think you really need to establish that this isn't about what character you like better, because some people aren't getting it.

Also, this is kind of a shitty match up, again. Spawn's power is near infinite. Yeah, decapitation can kill him, but that's a lot easier said than done, considering guy can pretty much do anything tio stop it. Spawn has gone up against countless threats, more deadly than shotguns. They never work.

Guy cut satan's head off, come on.

Fignuts
05-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I think the gimmick of having superhero gimmicks passed onto other characers is shit. It's been done to death in the past 10 or 15 years. I never liked it, and that's not going to change. It's the comic book equivalent of having lookalikes take on the Diesel and Razor personas.
Either that, or it's a cheap shakeup by having another established character don their costume and powers, as if it were a position in the workplace that had openings. In most cases, the hero persona and the real person behind it are intertwined, and defined by eachother. It's part of what makes the characters compelling.

It's always sucked in the past, but to be fair the passing of the Captain America mantle was awesome. Ed Brubaker should write everything

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Mitch, I think you really need to establish that this isn't about what character you like better, because some people aren't getting it.

I thought he already established that this wasn't about preference, or who would win in a fight, but rather whichever criteria one chooses. I think most have shown a mixture of both approaches when choosing their vote

Fignuts
05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
See I fucking hate spawn. Ghost Rider is a much cooler character, at least in recent years, but that doesn't change who would win in a fight.

Fignuts
05-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I thought he already established that this wasn't about preference, or who would win in a fight, but rather whichever criteria one chooses. I think most have shown a mixture of both approaches when choosing their vote

That seems very silly tbh.

What's the point of the poll when people are voting for two completely different things?

Should just pick one or the other and just go with it.

HATERS GONNA HATE

Jeritron
05-09-2010, 11:34 PM
I have a feeling issue 4 is going to be an epic matchup

Lock Jaw
05-10-2010, 12:56 AM
I have not read or seen any comics/movies related to Spawn at all.

I have little exposure to Ghost Rider as well. I read his latest series. Which got pretty good by the end.

So I vote Ghost Rider just because.

Kane Knight
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM

It may have been done to death recently, but when legacy characters were fairly rare, it could be pretty damn cool. Not to mention the concept of other Spirits of Vengeance and Hellspawn are both fairly well-established in the backstories of both.

I don't know about modern times so much, but it's no more or less than any other plot device. Used frequently, it sucks. Used well, it's awesome.

Fignuts
05-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I have not read or seen any comics/movies related to Spawn at all.

I have little exposure to Ghost Rider as well. I read his latest series. Which got pretty good by the end.

So I vote Ghost Rider just because.

Spawn was actually pretty good up until issue 100. It should have ended there, as that was the big finale that the book had been building to since issue 1. But instead, they keep going, and it's all boring, as they can't possibly top the heaven vs hell war. That's when I really started to dislike the character.

Other thing I really hate about spawn is all the unnecessary text. I mean ffs, some issues were practically novels. And I have no problem with lots of text, as long as it's relevant, but 75% of this shit, we didn't need to read. I don't need to read about how dark and macabre spawn and his world are AGAIN.

Kane Knight
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
That seems very silly tbh.

What's the point of the poll when people are voting for two completely different things?

Should just pick one or the other and just go with it.

HATERS GONNA HATE

Probably because people will use both anyway, so there's no point in a pretense otherwise?

Innovator
05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
One dude rode a motorcycle and had chains

The other ended up being more powerful than God and Satan, cmon.

BigDaddyCool
05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
The other ended up being more powerful than God and Satan, cmon.

How is that even possible?

Fignuts
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Comic book.

BigDaddyCool
05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
That is a dumb excuse. Just because it is a comic book doesn't mean it can stop making sense.

.44 Magdalene
05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
That is a dumb excuse. Just because it is a comic book doesn't mean it can stop making sense.

Do I need to post the "armlock-in-space" picture again?

Comics are retarded sometimes.

BigDaddyCool
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Because they are doesn't mean they should be.

Kane Knight
05-10-2010, 06:18 PM

And when they are, they deserve scorn.

Fignuts
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM

What about him becoming more powerful than god or satan doesn't make sense?

.44 Magdalene
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Just sayin', nobody should be too surprised

.44 Magdalene
05-10-2010, 06:30 PM

To be fair, the "traditional" depiction of God is an entity that can literally do anything, be everywhere and know all things.

To be more powerful than the Christian God would require doing more than anything, being more than everywhere and knowing more than all. Assuming "more powerful than God" isn't bluntly defined as "can overrule God."

Reavant
05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
he was never more powerful than god... he just beat the devil. Who was a demon that beat the original devil, Lucifer, in the first place.

Reavant
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
He ended up being more powerful than all the warriors god threw at him, but he was more of a good guy that the guys fighting for heaven so who knows

Jeritron
05-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Why can't Spawn be more powerful than God and Satan for convaluted comic book reasons? God and Satan aren't given any better explanation as entities, and people actually believe they exist.

KIRA
05-11-2010, 12:25 AM
Actually in the comics There is a dude/entity called Man of Miracles (M.O.M) Who is resposible for the creation of both God and Satan he came to earth once as Jesus Christ.

And he gives Spawn powers greater than that of God and Satan who are basically squabbling siblings.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP

Reavant
05-11-2010, 12:35 AM
right but in the sense of what most people see as god, he is not more powerful than MOM

Lock Jaw
05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
right but in the sense of what most people see as god, he is not more powerful than MOM

I hope you wrote that on your Mother's Day card.

Fignuts
05-11-2010, 03:50 AM
Yeah forgot about M.O.M.

Downunder
05-11-2010, 04:05 AM

Yeah, that excuse is reserved for the bible only.

Kane Knight
05-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah forgot about DRE

mitchables
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM

I'LL DO WHAT I CAN TO PLUG THE HOLE IN FOREVER

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 09:34 AM

How can Satan, who by logical defination is less powerful than an all powerful God create something more powerful than himself and God?

Also why would Satan create something more powerful than himself if he can't fully control it?

Don't just say "comic books."

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, that excuse is reserved for the bible only.

No, it doesn't even make sense for the bible.

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Actually in the comics There is a dude/entity called Man of Miracles (M.O.M) Who is resposible for the creation of both God and Satan he came to earth once as Jesus Christ.

And he gives Spawn powers greater than that of God and Satan who are basically squabbling siblings.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP

So this M.O.M. is closer to God than God in the comic book. Therefore Spawn never beat God.

Reavant
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
How can Satan, who by logical defination is less powerful than an all powerful God create something more powerful than himself and God?

Also why would Satan create something more powerful than himself if he can't fully control it?

Don't just say "comic books."

Because the conventional thought of god is not what god is in the comic. In the spawn comics, god isnt even a complete good guy. Its more like god and satan are equals who are fighting it out.

The actual creator who is all powerful, and spawn was/is/never will be as powerful as is the Man of Miracles, who gave spawn the power to be more powerful than his creator (malbogia [the devil] and god)

Reavant
05-11-2010, 11:14 AM
So this M.O.M. is closer to God than God in the comic book. Therefore Spawn never beat God.

basically

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Because the conventional thought of god is not what god is in the comic. In the spawn comics, god isnt even a complete good guy. Its more like god and satan are equals who are fighting it out.

The actual creator who is all powerful, and spawn was/is/never will be as powerful as is the Man of Miracles, who gave spawn the power to be more powerful than his creator (malbogia [the devil] and god)

basically

That is just stupid then. I know, I know, comic books written by artest instead of writers. Which explains why it sucks, doesn't make it ok though.

Jeritron
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Why is it stupid to change the mythology of God and Satan? It was simple, unexplainable, and childish to begin with

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Why is it stupid to make a character patterned after the Christian God, named God, only to make him less powerful and the reveal he was created by a more powerful being who is the true creator? I don't know, you tell me.

I'm not arguing this from a Christian point of view, I'm a arguing this from a well that was just stupid, point of view.

Reavant
05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Well clearly you are arguing from a christian point of view because you want it to follow those guidelines. Whos to say the christian god doesnt have a creator? If in fact the christian god is real.

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Well clearly you are arguing from a christian point of view because you want it to follow those guidelines. Whos to say the christian god doesnt have a creator? If in fact the christian god is real.

I'm arguing if you going to use Christian mythology only to reveal at the end the guy you were calling God was infact a creation of a more powerful being that is closer to God than the character you were calling God, that is retarded. From a plot presective, it is silly and pointless.

Fignuts
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Also, if anything it was based on the Old Testament god, given what an asshole he is. Maybe we should get a jew in here to clear this all up.

Or not, since it is just a fucking fictional story. You can't say "oh well the bible says this" because, no offense to your beliefs but, there's about as much evidence of the bible being true as there are this comic book.

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
That isn't the point I'm arguing, Numbnuts. I'm arguing why take an existing mythos only to make it more convoluted. I doesn't offend me, it just don't make a lick of sense.

Fignuts
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Because he's not basing his story on an entire mythos. He's only taking the concept of a god and a devil, and creating his own mythos from there.

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
It seems so pointless. I would be equal peeved if a comic book had say Zeus who was poised to look like Zeus, named Zeus, and be Zeus only to be less powerful and his father turned out to create all of the other gods the way Zeus was suppose to, and his father actually through lightning bolts and so forth. So in effect his father, who isn't named Zeus, but Greek Omniscient Dude or G.O.D. for short to be more Zeus like than Zeus.

Fignuts
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, God of War and Clash of the Titans take a lot of liberties with greek mythology, so go pick on them for a while.

Also yeah, Zeus' dad did create some of the other gods.

BigDaddyCool
05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Well, God of War and Clash of the Titans take a lot of liberties with greek mythology, so go pick on them for a while.

Also yeah, Zeus' dad did create some of the other gods.

I haven't play God of War or watched Clash of the titians, though I've heard thing about God of War doing that, and it does annoy me, but we are dicussing Spawn here. I actaully have no problem with taking existing Christian mythos and taking liberties with it when it is done well. When it is done just as a big shitty reveal where God isn't God, but M.O.M. is God, that is dumb.

Kane Knight
05-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I agree with BDC, though I have no interest in arguing as fervently as BDC does.

Am I clearly arguing from the Christian perspective? I'm just curious, since I normally get shit for being not just an atheist, but an antitheist.

Pretty sure you and a couple other of those guys arguing this makes sense have taken shots at, say, Stephanie Meyers for bad writing and not using traditional vampires. If you specifically have not, I apologise, but I'm pretty sure you have.

I mean, it's just fiction and whatnot, but it doesn't stop people from rawslobberbitchmoaning about it.

Nark Order
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
STOP MAKING THE POLL OPTIONS TO WHERE I ACTUALLY HAVE TO READ THEM! Surely a "spawn" or "Ghost Rider" option would serve fine.

Reavant
05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I agree with BDC, though I have no interest in arguing as fervently as BDC does.

Am I clearly arguing from the Christian perspective? I'm just curious, since I normally get shit for being not just an atheist, but an antitheist.

Pretty sure you and a couple other of those guys arguing this makes sense have taken shots at, say, Stephanie Meyers for bad writing and not using traditional vampires. If you specifically have not, I apologise, but I'm pretty sure you have.

I mean, it's just fiction and whatnot, but it doesn't stop people from rawslobberbitchmoaning about it.

i dont know who stephanie meyers is. What did she write?

.44 Magdalene
05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Twilight.

Reavant
05-11-2010, 07:52 PM
oh... then i have never commented on that because i have never seen it, any gripe i have had with it all was making a vampire/warewolf movie into a chick flick... aaaaand how every woman i know is obsessed with it

BigDaddyCool
05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
oh... then i have never commented on that because i have never seen it, any gripe i have had with it all was making a vampire/warewolf movie into a chick flick... aaaaand how every woman i know is obsessed with it

Same basic point, making vampires out of character and reworking them completely so it can be a chick flick. Vampires and werewolves want to date and creepily stare at virgins instead of wanting to rip them limb from limb and drink their blood.

Kane Knight
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah, Vampires and romance were never put together before Twilight.

Reavant
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
any problem i have with twighlight isnt really any depiction of the vampires and warewolves (as i have not seen them) as much as how every chick i know is obsessed with it and it annoys me

BigDaddyCool
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
any problem i have with twighlight isnt really any depiction of the vampires and warewolves (as i have not seen them) as much as how every chick i know is obsessed with it and it annoys me

So you hated Interview with a Vampire back in the day too?

Reavant
05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
i was like 6 or 7 when it came out... i think

Reavant
05-12-2010, 10:37 AM
it was all the team jacob vs team (whatever his name was).... what about team jeff? i look like a wolf man WTF

BigDaddyCool
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Team Edward, I only know that because I eat a lot of burger king and have a girlfriend.

Anyhow, Twilight is pretty awful no matter what.

dronepool
05-16-2010, 02:09 AM

Because in Spawn comics, God and Satan are children of a greater force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Miracles_(Image_Comics)

It is revealed that Mother/Man of Miracles is in fact the one who walked among mortals as "Jesus Christ", and thus was actually independent of "God" in the Spawn universe. The twelve heavenly warriors known as the Disciples, formed from the souls of the Twelve Apostles, actually follow Man of Miracles above God.

Mother gave each of its infinite children a world to run as they wish; God and Satan were both given Earth. God and Satan constantly bickered and fought to the point where they declared war on one another. Mankind, being created by God but given free will by Satan, became unique and Mother decided to act on their behalf, rather than let its children use them as cannon fodder. Mother stripped both of its children of their kingdoms and made them sleep in a forgotten corner of the universe. Mother then came to Earth as Jesus Christ, spreading a message of love and tolerance. This message being corrupted by mankind, Mother saw that Armageddon was inevitable. Giving mankind a chance to survive, Mother preserved all the souls that had died in the same hour as Al Simmons and placed them inside of Spawn. Spawn represents the potential of mankind and must prove that humanity is worth saving from God and Satan's feud. Mother brought back God and Satan as the human children of Terry and Wanda Fitzgerald in order to give them an appreciation for humanity and change their ways. This plan failed, as the twins simply became more insane than before and wreaked further chaos on Earth. They have since regained their memories, powers, and kingdoms and are bolstering their armies for the final push that will begin Armageddon.