PDA

View Full Version : My upfront and honest thoughts on the NWATNA.

KingofOldSchool
04-16-2004, 02:02 PM
The NWATNA is shit.

Why?

Well let me explain...

1.) Everyone complains when Wrestler A is released by the WWE, then you all hope they goto the NWATNA because "they will be used more." Fair enough, but will they help increase ticket sales and soon to be television ratings? No. Why? Because what common fan will pay to see a bunch of WWE rejects? I mean I can see the headlines for NWATNA: "COME SEE LOW KI, AJ STYLES, CHRISTOPHER DANIELS, AND THE WWE REJECT ALL STARS!!"

2.) Jeff Jarrett. This guy is a poor man's Triple H. He was WAY overrated during his career and his talent level never came close to that of 2000 Triple H. Now, Jarrett is trying to be just like Triple H now. The only difference is, at least Triple H is still a good wrestler. Everyone complains about how much television time Hunter is taking and how many people Triple H has buried, well why don't you guys bitch about Jarrett? It seems like he is always involved in the main program on TNA. He's squashed AJ Styles and Raven (two guys a lot of you cum over) numerous times. But do anyone here bitch about that? No. See Triple H has room to be an ass like that because the WWE is already global, the last thing J-E-Double F J-A-Double R-E-Double T should be doing is keeping back guys like AJ Styles when his company is trying to gain fans. They won't bring any very many fans if all they see is a Minor League Triple H as champion.

3.) The thing you guys love about TNA is that the wrestlers get to actually show their "talent." Well that's great because the TNA doesn't work as many dates as the WWE does. If they ever get to that position and their wrestlers start getting injured left and right like WWE workers have been getting, then you will see the same type of measures taken by the TNA that the WWE has been doing.

4.) Vince Russo is apart of it. If they do get their TV deal, how long will it take before we are treated to some of Russo's crap booking? It didn't work for WCW so why would it work for the NWATNA?

Now don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the TNA workers, but the whole TNA organization is shit. They won't last, they won't survive, so enjoy them while you can.

Kane Knight
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Will people pay to see a bunch of WWE rejects?

Because the WWE is the biggest bastion of talent, and uses their best wrestlers the most effectively.

KingofOldSchool
04-16-2004, 02:10 PM
But in the common fan's eyes, the will look at the D'lo Browns, Raven's, and soon to be Sean O'Haire's and say "Why should I watch guys that can't even cut it in the WWE?"

To them it'd be watching Velocity or Heat without it being WWE related. And how many people actually watch Heat or Velocity?

ItsTimeForAChange
04-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Well, I for one, although I've never seen NWATNA, plan on watching it when it gets on FSN, just to give it a chance. I'm a big fan of Raven, D'Lo, Sandman, Sabu, and Jerry Lynn, so even if it is shit, it will be nice to seeing those guys in action again.

Although, I realize my optimism may change once I actually watch the show, and it does infact end up sucking ass.

I also ****ing despise Jeff Jarrett, so thats one point againt NWATNA.

PureHatred
04-16-2004, 03:15 PM
1)If the TNA gets a TV deal, eventually those guys like AJ Styles, Low Ki, Frankie Kazarian, Daniels, etc are going to be more well known and will be pushed more. For now, the TNA is forced to use more familiar names just to get over.

2) I actually agree. I was very disappointd when the TNA used months of build-up to tease a Raven/Jarrett matchup (Raven doing massive run-ins, winning a four way top contender match, pinning JJ in a tag match ) only to waste it by having Raven job to Chris Harris (????). Unless the writers are saving a Raven/JJ payoff for the first "traditional" PPV, there's no reason to have JJ beat Chris Harris when Raven is as over with the crowd as he's ever been.

3) Most of the "high risk" workers are working dates in other companies anyways... Low Ki may only work 2 TNA dates a month, but he has numerous bookings with RoH, World-1, and occasionally Japan. Same with AJ in RoH, Red in NJPW, etc... the point is, that with a new TV deal, they'd be working the same amount of dates. They'd justbe working them for one company, more than likely. The NWA isn't anywhere near working house shows. So you're talking one TV taping a week and one PPV a month. So this is a non-issue.

4) Vince has been co-writing for a couple months now and the shows have actually been good lately for the most part. Have you read any reviews? The storylines are working and it seems like he's going out of his way to build a midcard and there's nothing ridiculous; definitely nothing as ridiculous as a wrestling handicap, a flaming queen, or a murdered GM.

I reiterate, I think they dropped the ball with Raven...but we'll see. That happened this week so maybe Raven gets back in the title picture soon.

I think you're being too cynical. People thought TNA was going to fold within months. They're in Year 3 and closing in on a TV deal. The Jarret thing is a huge weakness, but that'll probably be addressed.

Rock Bottom
04-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Heh, the only thing I see happening with the NWA/TNA thing is a small addition to the WWE roster. ;)

bobfinger
04-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Will people pay to see a bunch of WWE rejects?

Because the WWE is the biggest bastion of talent, and uses their best wrestlers the most effectively.

I love Bradshaw

mitch_h
04-16-2004, 03:24 PM
The NWATNA is shit.

3.) The thing you guys love about TNA is that the wrestlers get to actually show their "talent." Well that's great because the TNA doesn't work as many dates as the WWE does. If they ever get to that position and their wrestlers start getting injured left and right like WWE workers have been getting, then you will see the same type of measures taken by the TNA that the WWE has been doing.

WWE isn't restricting cruiserweights because of injuries, they are holding people back because of the effect on the other matches in the card. As Spanky mentioned in an interview. This is why Juvi never got past a dark match. In WCW the cruisers were working just as much shows as current WWE wrestlers are now and they were allowed to go all out.

PureHatred
04-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Well, publicly, they are always saying that the more mat-based style is to save the careers of "these great young athletes, Bah gawd!" (sorry, I slip into JR-speak occasionally) But you're right, I'm sure it has more to do with the cruisers having a tendency to steal the show. Lord knows I watched plenty of WCW PPV's where the only memorable math was Rey vs Juvi or Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero.

Of curse, one could say that the CW matches would also be a reason for the other workers on the card to work harder, but what do we know? :nono:

Rock Bottom
04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
I think that's true to a certain degree, but I also feel that there is a genuine concern with the wellbeing of some of the talent. After guys like Steve Austin (who wrestled through quite a bit of pain and injury whether some people know it or not), and recently Kurt Angle. I mean, in a sport where you fall down for incraments of time, it almost sounds silly, but I think there may be an element of sincerity. Not to say that they aren't afraid of cruiserweights stealing the show.

Mr. JL
04-16-2004, 08:05 PM
1.) Everyone complains when Wrestler A is released by the WWE, then you all hope they goto the NWATNA because "they will be used more." Fair enough, but will they help increase ticket sales and soon to be television ratings? No. Why? Because what common fan will pay to see a bunch of WWE rejects? I mean I can see the headlines for NWATNA: "COME SEE LOW KI, AJ STYLES, CHRISTOPHER DANIELS, AND THE WWE REJECT ALL STARS!!" .
Please, if anyone looks at wrestling like that then they are obviously uneducated. Raven and the other ex WWEers are great talents that should be appreciated and not remembered poorly on because the WWE decided to book them horribly.

Think of it like this....

I compare the WWE stars to the mainstream stars in the music industry...

Because we all know that Brittany Spears & Justin Timberlake are the best singers in the world. :roll:

ColdwaVer
04-17-2004, 12:06 AM
Please, if anyone looks at wrestling like that then they are obviously uneducated. Raven and the other ex WWEers are great talents that should be appreciated and not remembered poorly on because the WWE decided to book them horribly.

You ignore the fact that most wrestling fans are nowhere near as "educated" as those of us who smarm around the net.

Mr. JL
04-17-2004, 11:11 PM
You ignore the fact that most wrestling fans are nowhere near as "educated" as those of us who smarm around the net.
Okay, you don't have to cruise the net in order to know this!

Everything you see on TV, music or wrestling is marketing. And it all depends on who the company wants to market. Just because they market someone to be the best, IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE THE BEST!

It should be common knowledge that there are hundreds of singers better than Brittany Spears or Justin Timberlake but they are still marketed as the best. Those singers who are better than Spears and Timberlake just have not been given that marketing chance or have not been discovered yet.

For guys like Raven have had that chance to be marketed but the WWE did a quater assed job of it and did not market him to his strengths. You can see the way NWA: TNA markets Raven and he's probally the most OVER guy in the company. Just imagine if Interscope Records made Eminem sing country songs. Of course he won't earn money because that is not where his strengths lie.

So an educated person could see this, and apply it to other things (ie: wrestling) without having to cruise the net.

Kane Knight
04-17-2004, 11:41 PM
It doesn't take a lot of smarts to know where the talent is.

KingofOldSchool
04-18-2004, 12:55 AM
For guys like Raven it's called being a big fish in a small pond.

Oxstar
04-18-2004, 01:04 AM
I hope they show nwatna in the u.k, coz all i get to see is wwe and its good to have variation!

I downloaded some nwatna matches and thought they were ok! i look forward to seein more! then i can say if its good or not!

SeanMC
04-18-2004, 06:05 AM
The do show nwatna over here in the uk, check out channel 432 aka the wrestling channel..i can't believe you don't know about that.

ColdwaVer
04-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Okay, you don't have to cruise the net in order to know this!

Everything you see on TV, music or wrestling is marketing. And it all depends on who the company wants to market. Just because they market someone to be the best, IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE THE BEST!

Perhaps, but we're not talking about educated, informd opinions, we're talking about what a standard non-internet fan thinks. And the average non-internet WWE fan may not even know NWA-TNA exists, much less that Raven and D'Lo are big there. If they DO know about it, and that that's where those two ended up, it'll just serve to make them think that two guys who got released from WWE got work wherever they could. They're not going to see TNA as a viable alternative to WWE, they're going to see it as some unknown production that isn't even good enough to have a TV slot.

Mr. JL
04-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Perhaps, but we're not talking about educated, informd opinions, we're talking about what a standard non-internet fan thinks. And the average non-internet WWE fan may not even know NWA-TNA exists, much less that Raven and D'Lo are big there. If they DO know about it, and that that's where those two ended up, it'll just serve to make them think that two guys who got released from WWE got work wherever they could. They're not going to see TNA as a viable alternative to WWE, they're going to see it as some unknown production that isn't even good enough to have a TV slot.
In that case, which is probally more accurate because most people are uneducated, you are correct. However, that just means thier opinions are unresearched, uneducated and ignorant.

The Mackem
04-18-2004, 02:38 PM
They're all WCW rejects working for the WWE in the first place :shifty:

Gertner
04-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I've pretty muched stopped watching the WWE, and switched over to TNA

ColdwaVer
04-19-2004, 01:44 PM
However, that just means thier opinions are unresearched, uneducated and ignorant.

No argument there. Just a sad commentary on the power of public perception.

Tornado
04-19-2004, 02:10 PM
<font color=#33ffff>I've only ever seen one TNA match, it was AJ Styles vs Low Ki. It blew my ****ing mind, it was an amazing match.</font>

tucsonspeed6
04-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, if you're refering to the Low Ki that I'm thinking of who wrestled a bit as a jobber on one of the WWE recap shows, then yes I have seen him. I thought they were going to give him a push but they released him instead. He was pretty awesome and was the only reason I watched said recap show.