PDA

View Full Version : Sublime with Rome

Beauser
05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
So, I've had very mixed feelings about this "reunion" of Sublime (with Rome).

First off, I felt like Eric and Bud had pretty much betrayed Bradley (lead singer who died of a herion overdose just before they became huge) by bringing someone who obviously sounds VERY similar to their friend.

Bradley Nowell reserved the rights to the name Sublime before his death. And did make it very clear that he did not want "Sublime" to continue without him. Those were his wishes.

I understand, and respect that, to a certain degree. But the man effectively robbed his friends, and every single one of his fans for the potential of future music from the band.

I'm not writing this to knock Brad, because he is one of the most talented musicians in my eyes, ever. While its not everyone's type of music, I can understand.

I just feel if he had tried harder to kick his herion addiction, we (Sublime's fans) would be blessed with even more beautiful music as the band itself progressed. And, his two best friends (Bud and Eric) shouldn't be left with "What if?" They're not trampling on Brad's legacy, they're simply allowing his memory to continue.

So, all in all, I'm VERY happy that Rome has gotten the opportunity to perform this music live. I for one, am too young to have seen Sublime live when they were 'original'. But, being that they are and will always be my favorite band, I am happy to get the chance (July 28th, DALLAS!!!!) to see them live.

The only thing I wish they would do, is change some of the lyrics to reflect that isn't Brad singing. "Bradley had a dalmation" or something.

The entire tour should be in his honor, as well.

www.sublimewithrome.com

RoXer
05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
So do you or don't you feel that Eric and Bud has betrayed Bradley? Little confused.

I will probably go to this when it comes to town.

Beauser
05-23-2010, 08:40 PM
So do you or don't you feel that Eric and Bud has betrayed Bradley? Little confused.

I will probably go to this when it comes to town.

At first I felt that way. But the more I thought about it, and put myself in their shoes for a moment, Brad wasn't the only part of Sublime, just a very significant part of it.

He's not being forgotten with this music, they're simply letting his memory continue to live.

And, maybe they'll gain additional fans. A damn shame when someone doesn't like Sublime's music.

Kapoutman
05-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't mind if they tour, and I don't care if they use the name. But it will never feel like Sublime to me.

Beauser
05-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I agree. But it'll be nice to see the music live.

Kapoutman
05-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'd see it in the same way I see an homage group to The Beatles. But if they record new stuff, it just won't feel the same.

Beauser
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
They are working on a new CD, while on the road.

They will call it Sublime with Rome...

Innovator
05-24-2010, 11:40 AM
I don't know how I feel about this