PDA

View Full Version : Paid 'PSN+' coming alongside PSN?

CSL
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Reports: Paid "PSN+" service coming to PlayStation Network

by Mike Smith

For the nearly eight years it's been in existence, there's been one major thing that differentiated Microsoft's Xbox Live online service from its competitors: it's the only one to charge players fees for some features.

Now, according to reports from multiple sources, that's about to change. And no, Xbox Live isn't about to go free.

According to Joystiq, Sony will be unveiling a premium tier of its PlayStation Network service in June. Dubbed "PSN+," it could cost gamers as much as $9.99 per month. The top-tier service won't be needed for any of the functions currently supported by the PlayStation Network -- so you'll still be able to play online for free -- but it will grant subscribers access to a slew of new features, including cross-game voice chat, exclusive downloadable content, and a rotating list of free PlayStation and PSP Mini games.

Buyers will also get access to exclusive game demos, extended warranty coverage on their hardware, an automated service for downloading game patches -- and more features are on the way, Joystiq's sources said. So far, the PlayStation Network's feature-set has lagged considerably behind Xbox Live's, but -- if accurate -- the reported enhancements would easily make it the most capable online suite on the market.

Joystiq's reports were lent considerable credence following recent comments from the president of the European arm of Sony Computer Entertainment, Andrew House, made on Sony's official web site.

"I can assure you that the current PSN as you know it will remain a free service," he said, in response to a fan question. "It is something that our competitors don’t offer and something that shows our loyalty to the PlayStation Community. However, [Sony Computer Entertainment CEO] Kaz Hirai stated a few months ago that we were looking at a premium service to sit alongside the current free service and that objective has not changed. You’ll learn more about it very soon."

Very soon, eh? In a staggering coincidence, the gaming world's biggest media frenzy, the E3 trade show, is set to kick off in Los Angeles in mid-June, and Sony has already scheduled a major press conference for June 15. We'd say that qualifies as "very soon."

I'm far from being the biggest fan/user of online gaming so it'd have to be something pretty good for me to start paying.

Kalyx triaD
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Can't wait for the kids to bitch about actually paying for something. Quality don't run free, and hopefully this go toward a better PSN experience.

Funky Fly
05-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, so let's break it down then:

- $120 per year: $70 more than XBL Gold ($60 if you're up here in Ripoffland :mad: )

- cross-game voice chat: currently free on XBL Silver

- exclusive downloadable content: as far as I know, Silver members can d/l all DLC that Gold members can on XBL. This seems like now they're not going to get the same shit they would have gotten otherwise.

- and a rotating list of free PlayStation and PSP Mini games: yeah, they're not free at all, but Gold member get the "Deal of the Week" on XBL DLC and XBLA titles. +1 for Sony

- Buyers will also get access to exclusive game demos: same as XBL Gold

- extended warranty coverage on their hardware: skeptical about this (I'm sure it's the big reason for the steep price tag), but I'll wait and see.

- an automated service for downloading game patches: free on XBL Silver

So far it seems like making people pay for most of the shit that's free on XBL anyway. And they made no mention of dedicated server support like Microsoft offers with its online play. Right now, it's still up to the developer to provide the servers (which drives up game costs and gets passed on to us, BTW.

Kane Knight
05-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I can't wait for some fucktard to come along and play corporate apologist....

Can't wait for the kids to bitch about actually paying for something. Quality don't run free, and hopefully this go toward a better PSN experience.

that didn't take long.

alvarado52
05-27-2010, 10:28 PM
this should clean up PSN. Hopefully.

G
05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I can't wait for some fucktard to come along and play corporate apologist....

that didn't take long.

this should clean up PSN. Hopefully.

I've had pending friend requests to you both for weeks now. Either none of you have been on, or I didn't get the hint. ;)

El Fangel
05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I need to readd people myself. Not sure if they would accept.

alvarado52
lol, you and AT both. I just havent accept the update that removes the install other OS feature, just in case a hack comes out where i can play pirated games and hear it from KK for all eternity. Im thinking screw it though.

alvarado52
I need to readd people myself. Not sure if they would accept.

oh, you mean when you went all cry baby and deleted anyone TPWW related from your friends list?

Kane Knight
05-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I've had pending friend requests to you both for weeks now. Either none of you have been on, or I didn't get the hint. ;)

I've been on, but only to watch movies, so I didn't notice any friend requests. Will add you next time I boot up the PS3.

Kane Knight
05-27-2010, 10:50 PM
lol, you and AT both. I just havent accept the update that removes the install other OS feature, just in case a hack comes out where i can play pirated games and hear it from KK for all eternity.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're some self-righteous asshat who condemns piracy but doesn't see a problem with playing the games. Contrary to whatever fantasies Kal is concocted, I don't much give a shit about piracy. Technically, my stance leans more to pro-piracy than not, though I wouldn't exactly call myself in favor of it.

I'm very anti-hypocrite though.

Kalyx triaD
05-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I haven't been on PSN in 300 years. I logged in the website but you can't mess with your friend's list there, and there ain't no PS3 here.

dronepool
05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
I hardly play online so I don't really see myself paying unless it's for a game like DC Universe (if it's good).