PDA

View Full Version : Live albums

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not really a big fan of live albums. I don't know why when I love music so much, and there is the potential for such explosive spontaneity, and energy that can put new vigour in to old pieces.

But saying that, I recently got Robert Randolph and the Family Band's "Live at the Wetlands", and it kicks some serious arse. It is infused with the energy that first attracted me to them, when I saw the band on Jools Holland around 5 years ago, but was so sorely lacking on their first album, "Unclassified." But getting this album has got me interested in the band again.

Anyways, this thread is a celebration of the live album. Post what live albums you have, recommendations, what live albums you want, and bands you wish would release a live record, etc.

As I said, I don't have many live albums:

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (It is okay, but I was not blown away or anything)
Metallica - S&M (Need I say any more?)
Minamo - Kuroi Kawa (Actually, it is a two disc album: 1 studio, the other a live performance. Carla Kihlstedt, so it is all good).
Rasputina - Radical Recital (Cello-Rock at its finest!).
Rasputina - The Pregnant Concert (Kinda shitty, recording quality-wise).
Regina Spektor - Live at Bull Moose EP.
Mike Marshall and Chris Thile - Live Duets (My mandolin god, Chris Thile, and an assortment of mandolins and mandocellos. What more does one need?)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4zpzEIdoPc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f4zpzEIdoPc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kalyx triaD
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I love live music. It becomes 'real' to me at that point. Some acts suck live and they are better in the booths but I like seeing the energy on stage.

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Do none of you losers listen to live albums?

thedamndest
06-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Queen's Wembley concert is up on youtube. I don't know if that is available in album form, but it's worth actually watching just to watch Freddie move around on stage.

Funky Fly
06-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Unleashed In The East.

Thread over.

The Fraze
06-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Do none of you losers listen to live albums?

DOWNLOAD

http://longlivethealbum.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/themarktomandtraviss.jpg

Juan
06-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Jay-Z - Unplugged
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
From Autumn to Ashes - Live at Looney Tunes
Underoath - Survive, Kaleidoscope
AFI - I Heard a Voice
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Bayside - Live at the Bayside Social Club
Avenged Sevenfold - Live in the LBC
David Bowie - Stage
Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
QUEEN - Live at Wembley '86

St. Jimmy
06-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Bayside - Live at the Bayside Social Club is the best live album i've ever heard.

blake639raw
06-26-2010, 11:51 PM
Where's the love for The Who - Live At Leeds?

The Fraze
06-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Nobody gonna take my advice and hook themselves up with The Mark, Tom, And Travis Show?

DaveWadding
06-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Judas Priest - Priest...Live! (Since Fucky mentioned Unleashed already)
KISS - Alive! & Alive II
Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East

Requiem
06-28-2010, 04:32 PM
John Mayer - Where The Light Is

It's just good music.

Blue Demon
06-28-2010, 06:27 PM
Elton John Live
Pink Floyd- PULSE
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Simple Minds - Live In The City of Light
The Tragically Hip - Live Between Us
Johnny Cash - At San Quinton & At Falsom Prison
AC/DC Live
I have a lot of live U2 tracks, but there's no official release to the general public ( A lot came from fan club membership)

Mooияakeя™
06-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Many of Placebo tracks sound good live.

I find 9/10 with live albums, to fully "get into it", it's one of those "you needed to be there" things. I love Oasis live too, Gas Panic live is so much better than the recorded version.

There's many bands out there that sound better live too. Cooper Temple Clause being one. What a fucking waste they aren't still together :(