PDA

View Full Version : Work Rate

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
A thread for Gertner.

Work Rate as defined by indie fans is basically, as I understand it, basically how well a "worker" or wrestler can perform physically in the ring for a certain amount of time. It's often used, incorrectly, to describe the quality of a match. I have yet to see anyone try to confuse ring psychology for "work rate" though I have seen the term used as a substitution for "showmanship" and "match pacing."

A lot of indie-obsessed guys out there use the term incessantly while trying to rate match quality and because of that there is some stigma associated with the word.

The thing is, it's only a stigma amongst other elitist internet wrestling fans.

Nobody else cares.

This statement of fact has been brought to you by the DTTS Association for the Positive Use of Apathy Online or DTTSAFTPUOAO for short.

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
http://imjustsayinblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/the_more_you_know2.jpg

BigDaddyCool
06-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Work rate is one of those aspects only nit picky fans complain about. Any worker worth mentioning can work the standard match length, 5 to 10 minutes.

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I think I've used the term about 4-5 times, not counting this post.

BigDaddyCool
06-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Workrate is one of the most basic things that it doesn't even need to be mentioned when looking a wrestler. That 800 pound fellow that gets winded walking to the ring is only getting booked because he is an 800 pound fellow that can walk to the ring. Everyone else need to be able to go at least 5 minutes or they aren't wrestling. That is like being able to throw a baseball in the majors, no one compares those stats because it is standard.

jskinnyg
06-25-2010, 05:05 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpLFuA2i3wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpLFuA2i3wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Word...

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 05:20 PM
The most important thing is it's arbitrary, so we can hold it against people we don't like. And if someone doesn't have the charisma to carry the match, we can justify ourselves by citing work rate.

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
The most important thing is it's arbitrary, so we can hold it against people we don't like. And if someone doesn't have the charisma to carry the match, we can justify ourselves by citing work rate.

True statement.

Nicky Fives
06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Work rate is overrated... as long as a certain wrestler is in good enough shape not to gas 2 minutes into a 7 mintue match, then their workrate is more than acceptable....

Jonathan KoЯn
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
It's just another smark term. Don't let them fool you, they don't know jack shit about wrestling. I'd like to see them lace my boots

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 07:10 PM
It's just another smark term. Don't let them fool you, they don't know jack shit about wrestling. I'd like to see them lace my boots

Got video?

Jonathan KoЯn
06-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Some of my matches are on youtube. That's for you to figure out

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 07:20 PM

But...I never learned how to tie laces!

Jonathan KoЯn
06-25-2010, 07:21 PM
They invented velcro for people like you

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Trent Acid?

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM

My velcro tastes funny.

Swiss Ultimate
06-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Some of my matches are on youtube. That's for you to figure out

Clox?

Gertner
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
It's a term douchey indy fans throw out when people point out their wrestlers are vanilla midgets who don't draw (ROH I'm looking at you, DGUSA not far behind)

Rammsteinmad
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Jonathan Korn link us to some videos now! Or at least tell us your wrestling name! :foc:

Innovator
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
It's overused, like synergy and "core business".

Swiss Ultimate
06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
It's a term douchey indy fans throw out when people point out their wrestlers are vanilla midgets who don't draw (ROH I'm looking at you, DGUSA not far behind)

Wouldn't DGUSA be more so than ROH?

Gertner
06-26-2010, 02:51 PM
DGUSA is more spot no selling spot monkeyish, while ROH is no personaility no selling chain wrestling.

Swiss Ultimate
06-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Well, I wouldn't know I've never watched an entire show.

Used to watch a lot of AAA in Texas though, very confusing stuff.

Ol Dirty Dastard
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I feel like it also has to do with the intensity someone works with as well. If it looks like you're half assing moves and going through the motions, that's probably not the best work rate.

Gertner
06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, I wouldn't know I've never watched an entire show.

Used to watch a lot of AAA in Texas though, very confusing stuff.

DGUSA is horrible for no selling. Last match I watched, some Jap took a Death Valley Driver off the top rope and popped right back up.

.44 Magdalene
06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
I feel like it also has to do with the intensity someone works with as well. If it looks like you're half assing moves and going through the motions, that's probably not the best work rate.

This is partially true, as well. Somebody that doesn't sell, doesn't carry through with moves, or otherwise is poor at making their opponent look good can be referred to as a "poor worker."

But it's mostly a term in comparing wrestlers via other wrestlers, when a guy feels he wasn't made to look his best. Work rate is sort of a weird term, though.

.44 Magdalene
06-26-2010, 04:49 PM
That being said, if a guy's trying really hard to make a match look good (and he just sucks at wrestling), work rate is not the issue.