PDA

View Full Version : Pay during No-Compete Clause

BollywoodSingh
07-31-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know how severance pay works in the US or if it would even apply to a wrestling company, but when WWE releases a wrestler, they usually have a 90-day no-compete clause. I was wondering if WWE still pays the wrestler for those 90 days?

The Pope
07-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes, That's the whole reason a wrestler accepts that contract. You get paid to sit on your ass and do nothing.

Xero
08-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, that, and if you don't accept it you don't get signed.

Destro 2.0
08-02-2010, 01:02 AM
So Paul London must have loved it he could sit at home an smoke all the weed he wanted too. Thank god he never had to lay on the bear skin rug. If you watch there shoot interview you will get what i am talking about.

Jakob Synn
08-02-2010, 05:03 AM
I don't think for their 90 day no-compete clause that they get paid by the WWE because one would think that the WWE puts that in every wrestlers contract now-a-days.

Though if you get fired from certain jobs they do give you severence depending on how long you've worked there, so who knows.

I'm going to say it depends on the wrestler.

Hanso Amore
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
No.

A Standard No Compete Clause is used in alot of work places. Like at my office the sales guys sign a 1 year clause meaning if they leave the company they cannot work for a competitor or start their own competing business for 1 year.

Same in the WWE. You can work anywhere for 90 days but wrestling.

Xero
08-02-2010, 05:31 PM
WWE's 90 day no compete is paid.

It might be the equivalent of severance, I'm not sure, but I know they're paid.

The clause only goes into effect if they're fired. If the contract runs out there is no non-compete.

Lock Jaw
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Isn't the no-compete clause only for appearing on televised or PPVed wrestling? Or did they just make an exception for Daniel Bryan because they felt bad about it?

The Pope
08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
So Paul London must have loved it he could sit at home an smoke all the weed he wanted too. Thank god he never had to lay on the bear skin rug. If you watch there shoot interview you will get what i am talking about.

So Vince McMahon basically paid for his weed then.

Destro 2.0
08-03-2010, 01:31 AM
So Vince McMahon basically paid for his weed then.

Yeah a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Has anyone seen the previews for Project: Paul London on Highspots. No pun intended.

Xero
08-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Isn't the no-compete clause only for appearing on televised or PPVed wrestling? Or did they just make an exception for Daniel Bryan because they felt bad about it?

Danielson is only appearing on non-televised and shows. The normal deal is they need to get permission to work anywhere else and it can't be televised.

Aguakate
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I think they get paid, otherwise WWE would be violating SOME kind of law by not letting a person earn an income.

Kane Knight
08-07-2010, 11:00 PM
I think they get paid, otherwise WWE would be violating SOME kind of law by not letting a person earn an income.
Wrong.

Xero
08-08-2010, 01:42 PM
How insightful.

The Pope
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM

True, but the main reason for the contract is to not allow the person just fired to appear for the competition in the near future.

VonErichLives
08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Wrong.

Depends, they're enforced differently on different levels on a state by state basis.

some times there is a financial compensation if the company terminates your employment not for any wrong doing of the employee.

The Mackem
08-09-2010, 04:23 AM
How WWE gets away with what they do to their 'independent contractors' still confuses me to this day. An independent contractor exclusive to a company. I wonder what TNA's approach is. Actually they probably don't know who they are hiring.

VonErichLives
08-09-2010, 09:51 AM
There is a fair chance if a wrestler contacted the IRS and challenged it, they might get in trouble.

That said, there is a fine line and a lot of "IC" actually prefer the 1099's because it allows them more liberals with tax write-offs and deductions.

Real estate agents, mortgage lenders and lots of other sales positions are the same.

Hanso Amore
08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
They sign a contract

"We will pay you this much salary, and if you are terminated you cannot appear in Wrestling for 90 days"

They agree to it, there is no law against it, and it is common in all business.

VonErichLives
08-09-2010, 12:59 PM
They sign a contract

"We will pay you this much salary, and if you are terminated you cannot appear in Wrestling for 90 days"

again, this varies by state.

VonErichLives
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
unless there was a recent change California was one state that did not allow non-competes to be enforced.

A lot of places get away with it because workers don't know their rights and just follow it.

VonErichLives
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-08-08/business/17120619_1_arthur-andersen-federal-courts-state-s-high-court

Hanso Amore
08-09-2010, 01:49 PM
It should only matter where the Company headquarters is in. Any WWE contract signed should only be subject to Connecticut law.

The Pope
08-09-2010, 02:26 PM
It should only matter where the Company headquarters is in. Any WWE contract signed should only be subject to Connecticut law.

Agreed.

Kane Knight
08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
They sign a contract

There are laws against it, and enforcement is tricky when you cross state lines.

However, I mostly wanted to snidely remark "but...but that's unfair!"

VonErichLives
08-09-2010, 03:51 PM

and had you said

They sign a contract in Connecticut

but it seemed some people were making generalizations about the law which is simply not true.

That said, yes, we'll assume it's legal in CT, also their contract probably also stipulates any law suites or challenges etc... to the contract must be filed in CT to cover themselves.