PDA

View Full Version : Managers/Valets

Godfather4Life
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
To kinda spin off that Usos thread. I ask this..what happened to managers/valets? there are none right now. Remember when there was sherri, elizabeth, harvey wippleman, bobby heenan, mr fuji, jimmy hart, etc.? you would think some of these retired wrestlers come back and manage. Imagine havin a stable of the usos, tamina, rikishi, snuka and The Rock as mouth piece? (yes i know rock can still perform but it's just an example. Have Ted Dibiase come back and help his son get over. maybe even have money inc with ted jr and husky. I mean they really should use these legends better with alot of their kids wrestling now..what ya guys think?

Haze
08-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing more managers and valets, but I would be wary of using established names. I feel that it would be better to just create new managers/valets rather than constantly relying on the superstars of yesterday to establish credibility.

XL
08-02-2010, 12:40 PM
I think the trouble here is that you risk overshadowing the new guys with the old guys. Also, it'd get pretty old, pretty fast.

If you had Ted & his dad, Husky & his dad, The Usos with their Dads, etc, etc. I don't think using that angle to get people over would work over and over. Plus, to me it seems like a crutch for the new guy(s). Once you take that away you risk being left with new guys that aren't as over by themselves. It might not be the case but I feel like the overness of The Hart Dynasty died down wehn they seperated from Bret

Godfather4Life
08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
all these 2nd generation stars are still linked to their dad's..its always brought up, even the dead ones..and bringing them back may work.... remember most the managers inthe 80's 90's were wrestlers at some point before.

rated rjo
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM
The writers just talked about this at SDCC when someone asked that very question. Managers and valets, they think, have become a thing of the past because they were often used as a mouthpiece before or when they felt something was lacking from a superstar. Nowadays, almost all of the guys are able to get over on their own merits without the need of a manager.

Take guys like Anderson and The Miz. Strong on the mic but just okay in the ring. Their mic skills are strong enough where people have latched onto them for that without the need of a manager. The same argument goes for people like Gabriel, Bourne, and Orton. Notice that they've been kept off the mic a fair amount of time but everyone is blown away by their ring work. There's not much need to give them a manager if they just shut up and let their fists do the talking.

People just accept that if a guy is sufficiently good in one of these areas, they can live without the wrestler having the ability to do the other. As such, managers and valets have become null and void for the most part with the latest exceptions being Dibiase/Maryse, Ziggler/Vickie, and Khali/Rajin.

Ruien
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Ummm, have we all not noticed Serena is a valet? This is highly annoying, everyone says there are none but yet we have one. If you do not even noticed when they are around, what is the point in having more?

.44 Magdalene
08-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Bobby Lashley needed a manager, IMO.

Godfather4Life
08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Serena is not a valet she is shinead o'connor with bigger tits.

Lock Jaw
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Heyman was pretty awesome. For those few seconds that he is in this, he makes Heidenreich look like a star.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/23DDoLCdmQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/23DDoLCdmQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Supreme Olajuwon
08-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Khali has a manager
Punk has a valet
The Hart Dynasty have a valet
Ted Dibiase has a valet
The Usos have a valet
Ziggler has a valet/manager

what are we talking about again

Supreme Olajuwon
08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Plus there's an entire show dedicated to new wrestlers who are given managers.

Godfather4Life
08-02-2010, 09:46 PM
supreme i am just saying that don't have that manager feel...and rajin is just a stupid translator....an all those valets also wrestle...the female valets were jsut that valets not wrestlers back then.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Trish, Chyna, Lita, Luna, Sable, Jacqueline, Ivory, Molly were all valets/wrestlers too

It seems to me that a large majority of valets/managers were also wrestlers, and only a select few were only valets/managers.

Ruien
08-03-2010, 12:04 AM
supreme i am just saying that don't have that manager feel...and rajin is just a stupid translator....an all those valets also wrestle...the female valets were jsut that valets not wrestlers back then.

Serena..........

Biggz
08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
There are a few valets and managers but they don't do nearly enough anymore. Take Maryse for example, now all she does is stand there and look pretty. If it was the 80s early 90s she would be more apt to get involved in order for Dibiase to win. Would be nice to see them used like this more than just something to look at.

Schlomey
08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I get what your saying but what you meant was...where are all the GOOD managers that would make or break the wrestlers they managed. The Bearers/Cornette's/Fuji's/Heenans ect....

Yeah much like competitive tag team wrestling, the art of managerial services have taken a backseat the last decade. I'm sure it is just a matter of time until another guy like Heenan arrives to manager several different guys.

Sign of the times...and remember its wrestling...shit always comes back around..