PDA

View Full Version : I don't 'Get' CM Punk.

Brigstocke
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I mean at all, I've noticed that he gets a million praises a day here but for me he does nothing at all.

He's a good worker, he's half decent on the mic. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, But in my eyes he's not as good as he's made out to be.

Not a fan of his gimmick in the slightest and just feel like he is a bit 'meh' wouldn't care personally if he wasn't on the WWE Roster at all.

Same goes for the rest of the SES, I just don't get it. To me it's like a rubbish rehash of the RTC angle.

He's technically good at most things but I just don't get any sort of 'connection' with him. It's like when I see Miz I get a connection and it matters not what he says or does I just enjoy it because It's the Miz, Same with Barrett and Orton. They could both have really bad nights that I would find extremely enjoyable to watch, But If Punk had his 'greatest night ever' I'd likely be looking at my watch and making my excuses to leave after ten minutes.

I get the feeling If I spent any time with him we'd just sit in silence for about 15 minutes then I'd say ''Whats with the Pepsi tattoo then?''

Is anyone in agreement? Or am I properly weird?

Mr. Pierre
08-06-2010, 06:30 PM
If it wasn't for his big Internet following, it would have taken me longer to become a huge fan of his work, but regardless, I think he's a great all-around wrestler. His mic skills are awesome, and he can tell an enjoyable story with any other wrestler.

I jumped on the bandwagon right before he got called up, and I may have been part of the group that "overrated" him in 2006, but the work he's done in the past 4 years justifies all the praise he has received, IMO.

Schlomey
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I LOVED him on ECW. I LOVED him when he won his first MITB. I was OK with him winning it a second time. I LOVED his heel turn after beating Jeff Hardy and retiring him. I LOVED the SES for the first few months. Since he lost his hair I have been bored with him and his group. They need to expand or disband.

He is easily my second favorite worker in the company behind Jericho. He is tops on the mic and he is tops in the facials department. He can tell an entire story with his face. His matches are typically fast paced. Basically that is why I love the guy but for the first time since coming to WWE he is rather bland.

itsmeJD
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Ehh I definitely don't think you're properly weird...to each his own ya know? I've been a fan of Punks since ROH but I can understand certain people not being fans. Dusty Rhodes was hugely over in his day but I to this day have never understood why. Always thought he was pretty lame....kinda like a fat unathletic Jack Swagger.

Brigstocke
08-06-2010, 06:34 PM
This has happened to me before, with Matt Hardy. At no point since I first knew of him have I enjoyed watching a single thing he has ever done.

Christian has also been making me feel like this lately.

itsmeJD
08-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I can TOTALLY agree with you on Matt Hardy. Even at his MOST over I've just viewed him as Matt "Marty Jannetty" Hardy who kept getting fatter and whose charisma never matched his inflating body weight. His matches bored me, his persona bored me. Totally agree on this. I like Christian, just feel like he is still somewhat being punished for his TNA days. I don't feel he has been given much to work with in terms of angles.

Ultra Mantis
08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Punk is pretty stale lately, they took off the mask at the wrong time and the SES is bland and should really end soon.

Christian also needs a change or a push, he's just kind of "there" right now.

Brigstocke
08-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Booker T is another one too.

Schlomey
08-06-2010, 06:47 PM
This has happened to me before, with Matt Hardy. At no point since I first knew of him have I enjoyed watching a single thing he has ever done.

Christian has also been making me feel like this lately.

I am right there with you on this. Matt Hardy was MY man for a period of time. His MATT HARDY WON'T DIE shit and the V.2 schtick was awesome. But since his injuries and weight gain and his last heel turn I have not even looked towards him in any "best of" rankings.

Christian is the same way. He was AMAZING on ECW and even really good for what I saw of him in TNA (on Youtube) but since coming to Smackdown he has gotten the jobber role mixed with the put over young guy role. Not a fan cuz he has TONS to give to the big picture. I don't know if his performances are lackluster or if it is just because of lack of substance.

VSG
08-06-2010, 06:52 PM
As much as I think the title of the thread makes no sense, you might just make it in here. Its not like we got much choice as far as posters go recently anyway :-\

DAMN iNATOR
08-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I LOVED him on ECW. I LOVED him when he won his first MITB. I was OK with him winning it a second time. I LOVED his heel turn after beating Jeff Hardy and retiring him. I LOVED the SES for the first few months. Since he lost his hair I have been bored with him and his group. They need to expand or disband.

He is easily my second favorite worker in the company behind Jericho. He is tops on the mic and he is tops in the facials department. He can tell an entire story with his face. His matches are typically fast paced. Basically that is why I love the guy but for the first time since coming to WWE he is rather bland.

They're teasing the possibility at least, of the SES disbanding. Dunno if you saw SmackDown! last week or not, but Punk was really getting on all their cases and telling them basically to shape up or ship out.

Brigstocke
08-06-2010, 06:57 PM
As much as I think the title of the thread makes no sense, you might just make it in here. Its not like we got much choice as far as posters go recently anyway :-\

Yeah, I mean I'm already leagues ahead of you m8.

Kane Knight
08-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Haters gonna hate.

Snowden
08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
He's one of my faves, personally, but its all a matter of taste. I've only seen him since he debuted in the WWE, and even at that time, wasn't too much of a fan of his until he took the ECW title for the first time. He was particularly hot after his second cash in, don't know if you were watching during that time. Jeff Hardy was his natural foil, and really helped propel him.

For me, he's tops on the mic, and he does all of the little things fantastically. For example, after he beat the shit out of Jeff Hardy, he had this fantastic ditty:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5i_xkQdgN8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B5i_xkQdgN8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Plus, IMO, he can really go in the ring.

Xero
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Aside from being great on the mic and very enjoyable in the ring, Punk's "little things" make him for me. The "You Can't See Me" before the bull dog and slightly overselling Cena, his entire run on NXT, all his mannerisms and expressions, stuff like that. He's one of the only guys who really "gets it" when it comes to detail.

When I see Punk, I'm drawn to what he's doing on-screen or off (if he's commentating, for example). He gets my attention. I don't get that with anyone today who wasn't around 6+ years ago.

VSG
08-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I mean I'm already leagues ahead of you m8.

There, a pat on the head.

Testicle
08-06-2010, 07:53 PM
He's Raven lite.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I really enjoy CM Punk. In the ring, the guy is up there with his skills, and he's always enjoyable to listen to on the mic. The guy can be absolutely hilarious, too. He knows how to get heat. I remember when he tried to pass Joey Mercury off as a networked hallucination when he first started showing up.

To be honest, though, this year he has been a little off-target. It's not the quality of his work, just his direction. Many people loved the feud with Rey Mysterio, and I did too, but in a perfect world I think we'd still be building towards the blow-off at SummerSlam this year if it weren't for Punk's injury. If it weren't for his injury, Punk could have won Money in the Bank, cashed it in against Mysterio after he retained against Swagger, and then we could be heading towards a Mask vs. Mask Match for the World Heavyweight Title right now. Of course, Mysterio would have won that match, and we'd be forced to recognise Mysterio as a three-time World Heavyweight Champion. You really could have stretched the feud out to Hell in a Cell.

But yeah -- for some reason I haven't been feeling Punk lately. I think it's because he's been kept out of the immediate World Title picture. But all in good time. I could see Punk moving over to RAW soon.

BigCrippyZ
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
I kind of feel weird about Punk too. His feud with Jeff was great I thought. I completely appreciate all the "little things" he does and can tell he really gets it. Some of the time though, I could care less about him and I feel like he's really bland. It depends on who he's working with. Although, it could be worse. I could always feel he was bland and boring, like i used to do with Booker T.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I really want to see a feud between John Morrison and CM Punk. Not only would the ring work be great, but Punk could really help get Morrison further over. Punk could also carry the promo side of things, as Morrison struggles as a face. With Joey Mercury being revealed, it'd be awesome to have the history between Morrison and Mercury looming in the air, too.

Ultra Mantis
08-06-2010, 09:44 PM
I could always feel he was bland and boring, like i used to do with Booker T.

I always felt the same way about Booker, no matter what he was doing or who he was in a program with I just couldn't get interested in him.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I was interested in Booker T enough as a face. But as a heel, beyond his King Booker stuff, I just couldn't be interested by him. For example, his Best of Five series with John Cena. Considering the talent of both men, it just sucked the energy out of me. Even his similar program with Chris Benoit over the United States Title when he revealed that he knew about Sharmell's heel shenanigans was boring.

But King Booker was immensely entertaining for me.

Aguakate
08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I actually think that WWE has dropped the ball with CM Punk and the whole SES angle...they could have pushed him to the MOON, World Champion status and everything...but didn't. They put him in a program with Mysterio and pretty much stuck him there. NO REASON to have cut his hair, at all...should've left him how he was, and pushed him.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Wasn't it apparently CM Punk's idea to cut his hair as a way to get heel heat? Also, the man is a former three-time World Heavyweight Champion. He's not ever going to be hurting for main event credibility. He's just doing some service time outside of that immediate title picture, which isn't exactly thrilling. He should beat Big Show at SummerSlam, which will be huge for him, and a great welcome back to the active side of things. He should really look for revenge on Kane for his arm, too, even though I know that they will be running Kane vs. Undertaker.

Kane vs. Undertaker vs. CM Punk has a sort of ring to it.

Aguakate
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
It might have been his idea, but the look he has with the mask really hurt his character's look, a little bit. Still, I just think that with the 180 turn he made, WWE could've pushed him to main event status, and that would've really cemented Punk as a WWE main event guy. Imagine, he's been World Champion, and STILL WWE hasn't used him to his full capacity. The SES angle is the perfect way to do it. They (the WWE) is not LATE, they still can do it...it's a matter of will they.

teamXtremist
08-06-2010, 10:16 PM
cm punk is overrated

Juan
08-06-2010, 10:22 PM
I mean at all, I've noticed that he gets a million praises a day here but for me he does nothing at all.

He's a good worker, he's half decent on the mic. I'm not saying he's terrible or anything, But in my eyes he's not as good as he's made out to be.

Not a fan of his gimmick in the slightest and just feel like he is a bit 'meh' wouldn't care personally if he wasn't on the WWE Roster at all.

Same goes for the rest of the SES, I just don't get it. To me it's like a rubbish rehash of the RTC angle.

He's technically good at most things but I just don't get any sort of 'connection' with him. It's like when I see Miz I get a connection and it matters not what he says or does I just enjoy it because It's the Miz, Same with Barrett and Orton. They could both have really bad nights that I would find extremely enjoyable to watch, But If Punk had his 'greatest night ever' I'd likely be looking at my watch and making my excuses to leave after ten minutes.

I get the feeling If I spent any time with him we'd just sit in silence for about 15 minutes then I'd say ''Whats with the Pepsi tattoo then?''

Is anyone in agreement? Or am I properly weird?

Thanks for your take.

crusnik
08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Liked him when he first came to wwe, but in the past year.... getting a little stale with the ses .he was better on his own.

Fox
08-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Punk is a smart heel. He plays his part with more depth than your average bad guy, almost like a movie actor would do it. His character truly believes in everything that he's saying; he's not being a bad guy, he's trying to make everyone else around him into better people, while at the same time revealing the worthlessness of the "addicts" by beating them in wrestling matches.

I think CM Punk is one of the best heels the WWE has had in a very long time, and I think it's a shame that his SES angle isn't as "big" as the Nexus angle, as I think Punk could easily carry the main role and that all members of his group would benefit. I think the SES should expand substantially and take over Smackdown.

Mr. Nerfect
08-06-2010, 11:36 PM
I know it's become a joke, but who do you think would really benefit from joining up with CM Punk? One guy I'd probably consider moving to SmackDown! and join the SES is Primo Colon. The guy has got a lot of personality as a heel, but he's not really doing anything with it. He could join the SES out of fear of turning out like his brother.

Sixx
08-07-2010, 05:26 AM
Agreed, I don't get all that hype either.

Mr. Nerfect
08-08-2010, 01:00 AM
After watching SmackDown!, I feel my love for CM Punk returning. Joseph Mercury is pretty good character-wise, and his facial expressions and mic skills aren't too bad, at all. He's added something to The Straight Edge Society.

jskinnyg
08-08-2010, 02:00 AM

I have to agree with this part of what the Schlome said... For it was written...

Brigstocke
12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
It's funny, now that the SES is gone and Punk has stopped being a cock with a mask I'm starting to get it.

His run on commentary was hugely entertaining and I'm liking this New Nexus thing.

I take back 50% of my above statement.

bigslimjj
12-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Punk=ratings. There's a reason he's in charge of the nexus.He already has "Cult Leader status" from the SES.Now with Cena hurt he gets an even bigger push,and can go after Orton I guess,or maybe even the Miz or Barrett when he returns.I was a fan of his in ROH,TNA,and ECW.Go and find his best of 3 against Samoa Joe in ROH,and the cage match he was in at TNA where he went insane off the top of it,and you may see why he's kind of a big deal. he did one of the best promos I've ever seen in ROH about Raven which I believe is the entire reason he had the SES in the first place.if i wasn't at work Id find it and post it.

The Naitch
12-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Punk's got that air of confidence that most guys would love to have but ultimately don't have, no matter how hard they try

Deep down inside, all of you guys wanna be like him. Even Kane Knight yearns for that

St. Jimmy
01-01-2011, 01:27 AM
You like Miz, this thread does not surprise me.

Jakob Synn
01-01-2011, 01:34 AM
When he does the GTS who is more to blame for it looking lame? The wrestler who is getting the move done to them or CM Punk because the GTS that he did on Cena was really lame.

Brigstocke
01-01-2011, 02:13 AM
It's you, because your eyes are wrong.

James Steele
01-01-2011, 04:44 AM
CM Punk does need to add a more universal finisher since the GTS looks like shit on big guys and he hasn't done the Anaconda Vise since he feuded with Undertaker.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-01-2011, 06:49 AM
Pepsi Plunge!!!!!

Brigstocke
01-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Pearl River Plunge....Fucking miss you Ahmed. :love:

James Diesel
01-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't 'Get' CM Punk.

You don't 'Get' CM Punk because you don't deserve him. He's better than you. He can show you the path to a better life. A straightedge life.

One nation
Under Punk
Indivisible
With integrity
And sobriety
For ALL.

Accept CM Punk as your savior.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-01-2011, 12:58 PM
The only thing you need to get is that he outpopped DX, The Beatles and Jesus combined.

blak23
01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
cm punk is my savior

Providence Peep
01-02-2011, 09:40 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzJGP87gnhM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzJGP87gnhM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Lock Jaw
01-02-2011, 01:39 PM
CM Punk does need to add a more universal finisher since the GTS looks like shit on big guys and he hasn't done the Anaconda Vise since he feuded with Undertaker.

He used it on Evan Bourne when he came over to RAW in the trade for Edge.

Grablot
01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
This is simple guys

If you dont "get" CM Punk then you dont "get" wrestling.

Any real wrestling fan will see the brilliance of CM Punk he is the best new guy to come out in years.

James Diesel
01-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't 'Get' CM Punk.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DAAvTOW3bWk/TEBP_pCmvYI/AAAAAAAAAEU/P1YiM-Z4TDk/s1600/26318_350540929193_630579193_3428058_172799_n.jpg

Brigstocke
01-02-2011, 05:20 PM
This is simple guys

If you dont "get" CM Punk then you dont "get" wrestling.

Any real wrestling fan will see the brilliance of CM Punk he is the best new guy to come out in years.

Any real wrestling fan will also know that it's documented that Punk wrestled his first match in the 'Lunatic Wrestling Federation' in 1997 thus giving him a career that so far spans 13 years, Thats hardly a 'new guy' now is it little boy?

Grablot
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Any real wrestling fan will also know that it's documented that Punk wrestled his first match in the 'Lunatic Wrestling Federation' in 1997 thus giving him a career that so far spans 13 years, Thats hardly a 'new guy' now is it little boy?

He is new to the WWE stage and thats all that matters

Raven Reaper
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tA0qvYeBaY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

HAHAA Luke Gallows before SES.. :p

And his ROH days:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdRo9JsfBZM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rdRo9JsfBZM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6MaVwt9qGnk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Brigstocke
01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
He is new to the WWE stage and thats all that matters
No it isn't. Fucking bunch of cretins signing up here lately.