PDA

View Full Version : Did Danielson's release tone down the NXT angle?

Xero
08-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I was just thinking how the NXT angle might have gone with a different tone after the original angle's tone had Danielson not been released.

I feel, had he not been released, they were going for a much grittier tone that would have lead to them dominating more than they really came off. But because of Danielson and because of the sponsors reaction (or possibly Linda's campaign, I really don't know but I don't believe he was released without someone complaining to Vince) they toned the angle down. I also have to assume that Danielson was going to be one of the centerpieces of the group along with Barrett.

How do you feel about it?

Savio
08-10-2010, 06:54 PM
I think we would have been seeing the same thing now. I think the only thing that would be different would be him and wade jockeying for the #1 spot

The Show Off
08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
It probably would have gotten tamer and tamer over time with out without Dragon.

In a PG setting their is only so many ways to show violence and domination but that's not really the trouble either, that's not the reason why things have been toned down. They've been toned down mostly because you have to make an intriguing story line out of it. That storyline has to have opposition to The Nexus thus you can't have The Nexus dominate every time out or else it because repetitive and you stop caring.

The differences would have been with Danielson you would have had a person to hint at a power struggle with Wade Barrett which could have either led to a split of The Nexus (half favoring Danielson half favoring Barret), the expelling of Danielson from The Nexus, Danielson leaving The Nexus, or Danielson taking over The Nexus.

Another main difference would have been Danielson wrestling many matches to put The Nexus over as an actual in-ring threat and not a bunch of thugs. Danielson may have detractors but none can question he's a work horse and he could work solid matches with everyone on the roster. It would have given The Nexus more legitimacy.

Destro 2.0
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
It would have a stronger impact had they kept him instead of just bunch or thugs that jump people. I get that there is strength in numbers buts that all I have seen. Wade Barrett is about the only thing really going for that gang. When they were beating up The Hart Dynasty it would more impactful if Tyson Kidd would have got some color.

VSG
08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
It would have been pretty much the same, Gabriel, Tarver and Sheffield have more than made up for his absence. I still think this will go on till Survivor Series, no way Vince is letting possibly the last Survivor Series PPV go without a blast.

XL
08-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Dunno about the toning down but I feel that the SummerSlam 7 on 7 match takes away from the Bragging Rights concept (if they run it as they did last year) and from Survivor Series.

bigslimjj
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
I'd imagine Michael Cole would have been more involved since Bryan hated him and what not. At least I'd hope so. Cole needs to get his head kicked in. And that would have been way more violent.So yea it's a little toned down

Jordan
08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Seeing as he was fired for being too violent I'd say yes it's been toned down.

Next Big Thing
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
First and foremost, Otunga needs to put some damn base in his voice. His wife sounds more threatening when she sings than when he does cutting a promo.

Considering the fact that he was fired for his actions, I say it was never meant to be turned up. Vince has been well aware of his limits since Linda's been campaigning, I doubt they'd have had these guys going NWO guerrilla warfare on them.

It's kind of a blessing in disguise for Barrett though. If Danielson had stuck around he probably would have assumed the role as de facto leader since he's more polished and HBK's protege. Barrett's definitely elevated himself on the roster.

Kane Knight
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
No, but it certainly did kill the angle.

Emperor Smeat
08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I doubt it since it would get very stale and lose the crowd reaction if every week Nexus was as vicious and unstable as their first appearance. The first time they came out it created a spontaneous feel to the moment while having the crowd be in total shock since they didn't know how to react besides a few cheers during the attack.

Nexus would eventually have to tone down just to advance the storyline since WWE was dead set on making sure Cena was the focus of the attacks and not the randomness from the initial weeks. No way WWE just lets Nexus steam roll over Cena without giving Cena and his group a chance to be seen as equal and vicious as the Nexus.

BizarroKing
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Toned down: Dunno
Weakened: Most likely

I have a feeling this will go onto Survivor Series (War Games perhaps since they're doing the elimination tag here). By then hopefully Danielson will be back and possibly face the Nexus with WWE.

XCaliber
08-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Honestly I don't think it made a damned difference in the short term leading up to the match at Summerslam with the exception of that it would have been 8 on 8 instead obviously. After this I'm sure the plans will deviate as I believe the intent was to eventually have dissention through the team particularly between Danielsson and Barrett again no big suprise really. In the not so distant future their numbers will dwindle as several members either end be released, traded, or end up going back to developmental and get repackaged.

YoungFlyFlashy
08-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I think Danielson would of ended up being on the WWE Team at SummerSlam after NXT turned their back on him and being on Wade's side.

dronepool
08-10-2010, 11:40 PM
I think the firing of Danielson watered down the group and I was extremely annoyed with the WWE when I read that they fired him for such bullshit, but they still made the NXT Invasion work, but it would have been better with Danielson.

Snowden
08-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I don't mind that Danielson isn't involved in the NXT angle. Mind you, I love the guy and i think he's a fantastic talent, but the angle wouldn't be the same with him. Without him, Wade Barrett stands out clearly as the leader of the group. I wouldn't want a dual spotlight at the top, and Danielson is a whole helluva lot more than just a thug.

As for his firing causing the angle to be toned down, I'm not sure. They couldn't just go and tear up the ring every week, and with the PG rating the beatings they doll out couldn't be too much more brutal than they were.

dronepool
08-11-2010, 02:16 AM
You know, why do they have to be pussies about it? I'd be much happier if they made his firing an angle. Have him get "injured" or lose in a stipulation match or something. That way it's a lot better than editing footage and trying to avoid mentioning his name.

The MAC
08-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Danielson would have cost linda the senate so he had to go.. :shifty:

Next Big Thing
08-11-2010, 10:48 AM
You know, why do they have to be pussies about it? I'd be much happier if they made his firing an angle. Have him get "injured" or lose in a stipulation match or something. That way it's a lot better than editing footage and trying to avoid mentioning his name.

They have to show the Foxnews types that Linda's trying to be apart of that they're a wholesome show meant for all ages and do not promote stereotypes, objectify women, or choke people out with their own ties.

Dave Youell
08-11-2010, 11:09 AM
The fact that a guy was fired from a group that is supposed to have total control over the entire WWE universe which no one can stop kind of took away from the threat.

No one can stop NXT and no one wants them around, they fired one guy, why are the rest of them still around and not fired? Doesn't make sense

jerichoholicninja
08-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I think it would have been a little more interesting with Bryan simply because of the Bryan/Cole relationship. There would have been more to it than a bunch of guys with "a plan" taking on WWE wrestlers. Cole did a great job on NXT of putting Bryan over, even if it was just with insults and verbal attacks. With Bryan around we'd get more than Lawler and Cole calling them a bugs of thugs or other generic terms for bad guys.

BigCrippyZ
08-11-2010, 01:05 PM
I would like to think that it would've been the start of an edgier angle, but in reality, I doubt it. It probably would've gotten watered down just like everything else they've done recently. I would've loved to have seen more of the Cole/Bryan feud and can only imagine some of the great potential matches we could've seen from Bryan.

Rollermacka
08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
It would have been pretty much the same, Gabriel, Tarver and Sheffield have more than made up for his absence. I still think this will go on till Survivor Series, no way Vince is letting possibly the last Survivor Series PPV go without a blast.

I pretty much feel the same way that VSG does. In a strange way I think it kinda help the Nexus by not having him around. It gave the other members like Otunga, Sheffield, and even Tarver's bandana a chance to get noticed. I have a feeling it would have revolved around just around Barrett and Danielson if they kept him around. Now we get to see more of Gabriel hiting his 450 and Young get the crap kicked out of him (is it just me or is Darren Young always "the one that gets caught")

Kane Knight
08-11-2010, 03:50 PM
The fact that a guy was fired from a group that is supposed to have total control over the entire WWE universe which no one can stop kind of took away from the threat.

No one can stop NXT and no one wants them around, they fired one guy, why are the rest of them still around and not fired? Doesn't make sense
They didn't fire him in Kayfabe. He was kicked out. So...