PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bischoff on ROH, Drawing

Xero
08-12-2010, 06:44 PM
From Bischoff's Facebook Page (in chonological order):

- Can anyone name "new, young" talent that has drawn money (thats the real barometer in the business of the wrestling business" over the last 10 years?

- Interesting resonses. Clearly the majority of people here have NO IDEA what drawing money is. ROH is not making money on TV, PPV or arena shows. Its a backyard vanity project for marks. No disrespect to the talent who are working hard, but NUMBERS DONT LIE, THEY DONT HAVE OPINIONS AND THEY DON'T HAVE AGENDAS.

- Talent that "draws money" sell out major arenas, they set PPV records that they main event in, they sell millions of dollars of merchandise and migrate into mainstream media. It takes time. No top talent that has ACTUALLY DRAWN MONEY has been in the biz for less than 8 years with only two exceptions.

Loose Cannon
08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
errrr, can't say I disagree :shifty:

Gertner
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
He's pretty spot on.

McLegend
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
That's fine what he said, but last I checked ROH isn't suppose to be some major promotion. So why even "diss" them? Also it's pretty clear that ROH is on a down trend, because all of their talent has gone onto bigger promotions.

Swiss Ultimate
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Brock Lesnar drew...or is he the exception to the rule?

The Show Off
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
ROH is a great wrestling promotion. It has the best in ring competition in the United States year in and year out.

Does it draw well? No.

Does that matter to me? Not really as long as they can stay in buisness I'm happy.

Some people will never understand that how much money something makes doesn't equate to how good it is. People that say "the numbers don't lie" are also the same type of people that lack either the intelligence or the inclanation to judge something based on subjective merits.

If "drawing" were the end all be all of life Avatar would be the greatest movie of all time The Bible would be the greatest book of all time and McDonalds would be the best food of all time. None of those are true.

Lock Jaw
08-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I came into this thread expecting to hear EB's opinion on the act of drawing. As in art and stuff.

I am sorely disappointed.

Gertner
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Drawing is kinda the end all and be all. It's a business, not a hobby. ROH fans can claim it's not about the money, but it is because without people paying to see the product, the product dies.

The Show Off
08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Drawing is kinda the end all and be all. It's a business, not a hobby. ROH fans can claim it's not about the money, but it is because without people paying to see the product, the product dies.

Entertainment is equal parts art and buisness.

From a buisness stand point ROH is okay (good enough to stay in buisness for 8+ years)

From an artistic stand point their amazing.

bigslimjj
08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
ROH is TNA's closest competition right now imo. It makes sense to trash them from a buisness standpoint I guess.

SOCCER LEGS
08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
what two in the last 8 years is he referring to? cena? orton? batista?

FearedSanctity
08-12-2010, 08:34 PM
I enjoy ROH shows far more than TNA shows. And it's ROH that got my ticket money for their Richmond show when TNA didn't for their Salem show. TNA's show was only 10 minutes from my house, but the ROH show is about a 2 hour drive. Was still an easy choice.

Must be doing something right.

dronepool
08-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I never watched much of ROH but I'm willing to bet it doesn't draw well because they don't have millions to spend on promotions.

Or do they have good financial backup and I'm wrong?

Droford
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
what two in the last 8 years is he referring to? cena? orton? batista?

Cena and Lesnar

has to be

Batista wasn't a "young talent" when he started and Orton has never been the focal point of anything except when he was paired in matches with Cena.

and Id like to know if ROH is making money on their tv deal with HDNet or not..

Kane Knight
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Numbers don't lie. Liars use numbers to lie, however. Numbers don't have agendas. People with agendas use numbers to lie, however.

I think Bischoff is generally right in terms of what a person drawing means, except he goes a step too far.

Waylander
08-13-2010, 07:37 AM
So he was asking for an established world-wide star for him to hire, one that has sold-out arenas and wrestled on a huge stage? Surely with attributes that specific he should have already heard of anyone that fit the bill, right?

The Mackem
08-13-2010, 08:13 AM
That's Bischoff's problem, he can't answer his own question. That's why we still see WWF/WWE made stars in TNA's ring. Who has Bischoff 'made'? Goldberg is probably the only one.

Londoner
08-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't see the reason why ROH would care what Bischoff thinks about this, he clearly doesn't understand the promotion. I don't care for ROH myself but i just don't see why its any of Bischoffs business.

Waylander
08-13-2010, 11:01 AM
To become serious competition for the WWE maybe he should be looking for talented wrestlers to build into superstars instead of hiring established old has-beens.

Kane Knight
08-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't see the reason why ROH would care what Bischoff thinks about this, he clearly doesn't understand the promotion. I don't care for ROH myself but i just don't see why its any of Bischoffs business.

Bisch is obviously reacting to other people. I don't know what people are missing about this when they're saying they don't know why it's "his business" or why he "dissed" them. Read the second point Xero lists. It's clearly a response, even if you're unclear on the other two.

People as a whole don't ask why it's Paul Heyman's business, or Lance Storm's business, when they talk about promotions they're not related to. Granted, a few do, but most are too busy smoking their poles because they're IWC darlings and generally tell them exactly what they want to hear. I have a feeling some auspie retard is going to bitch about me saying that, but nobody gets to be a legend of straight talk in the IWC unless they're saying IWC-friendly things.

But as he's responding to people, you might want to consider what was said to spur those comments before you insist he doesn't "get" ROH.

Here's the feed Zero pulled his post from:

http://twitter.com/ebischoff

Read some of the comments prior to his "tweet" on ROH. The twits tweeting are the ones setting up the premise of ROH as something it's not. Bisch isn't simply attacking an argument nobody is making, he's addressing prior comments and questions.

Critical thinking FTW.

Swiss Ultimate
08-13-2010, 11:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with being a niche fan or a niche business. It is what it is.

Joesgonnakillyou
08-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Hang on, Didn't WCW lose a bunch of money? Isn't TNA?

Vastardikai
08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
those tweets more or less summed up the issue with Bischoff and TNA as a whole. They don't have the know how to take a guy who has the potential to be the next big thing and make him the next big thing. Hell, they could have had the next big thing under their noses and they wouldn't know it.

Samoa Joe: You're telling me!