PDA

View Full Version : WWE Sexist?

BizarroKing
08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Florida Championship Wrestling, the official developmental territory of World Wrestling Entertainment, held its annual Talent Evaluation Clinic three weeks ago. The FCW Clinic is the only clinic where WWE producers, WWE scouts and WWE Superstars are in attendance to evaluate potential WWE talent. The camp was attended by 63 dreamers and it is believed that only a select few would imminently land contracts with the organization.

The company reaction was that of the 63 people who tried out at the clinic, paying $1,000 to be seen, that approximately 50 of them had no business being there. In particular, AAA Women’s Champion Sexy Star received harsh reviews as company officials felt her work was terrible, her English was terrible, and that she was overweight. They also felt she wasn’t pretty looking without her mask on. John Laurinaitis told those in FCW that when it comes to hiring female talent, the standard is if they aren’t pretty enough to appear in Playboy, then they shouldn’t be hired.

Is WWE sexist or what?
1-Who cares about looks? If Sexy Star actually looks bad without the mask on (I obviously wouldn't know) then why can't she keep it on!?
2-Other than Beth Phoenix and Melina, name one diva that CAN wrestle.
2-Overweight? I only saw a little bit of her but she seems pretty average size to me...

Discuss?

Xero
08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
I've known this for years.....

Droford
08-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Guess this means Awesome Kong has no future in the WWE.

Fignuts
08-18-2010, 11:21 PM
We need pics of sexy star.

Xero
08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Guess this means Awesome Kong has no future in the WWE.

I disagree. She's a spectacle. I've said in the past, no way she should be in the Women's division, but bringing her in as a heel's muscle would work extremely well, assuming they actually let her kick ass in the role.

Essentially, a better looking Chyna.

Xero
08-18-2010, 11:23 PM
We need pics of sexy star.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/SexyStar-wrestling.jpg

They consider this "overweight"....

What Would Kevin Do?
08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Here's a vid.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Vmx0cGrzn8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Vmx0cGrzn8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

She's in the black mask.

Johnny Ace is fucking crazy.

BizarroKing
08-18-2010, 11:24 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_batkaLdAQi4/SoHe96dOMPI/AAAAAAAAEL8/TtGvUiP7mpE/s400/SEXY+STAR+AAA.jpg
http://planetdiva.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sexi-star.jpg?w=275&h=413
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2-7AdSkZA7I/SQia7-lW-UI/AAAAAAAATDA/eGEYS2554hk/s400/Sexy+Star-5.jpg

VSG
08-18-2010, 11:25 PM
She looks great to me!

Droford
08-18-2010, 11:27 PM
I think all of that negativity towards Star is code word for "Your tits aren't big enough"

Thats the only thing I can think of..

Xero
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Shit like this depresses me in terms of the direction they're taking WWE as a whole.

Shit keeps building up for me to say fuck it and not watch anymore.

teamXtremist
08-18-2010, 11:36 PM
welll duh

Juan
08-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I think they're more racist than sexist.

Xero
08-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Doubt you'll be seeing Michael Hayes fucking Awesome Kong anytime soon.

Droford
08-18-2010, 11:43 PM
The funny thing is they want their Divas to look like they could pose in Playboy but everything is still PG and they dont do the Playboy Special anymore.

teamXtremist
08-18-2010, 11:52 PM
The funny thing is they want their Divas to look like they could pose in Playboy but everything is still PG and they dont do the Playboy Special anymore.

exactly lets get the finest bitches on the planet then parade them around like nuns

Droford
08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
exactly lets get the finest bitches on the planet then parade them around like nuns

or more appropriately

http://www.lethalwow.com/bios/litaimage4.jpg

Like RTC Ivory

Triple Naitch
08-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Don't really care about women's wrestling, so I wanna see the hottest pieces of ass on my television possible when given the choice.

SaskatchewanChamp
08-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Women's wrestling is a side-show, much like the midgets were back in the 80's. They are there for the eye candy, not for the wrestling ability. It is pretty much that simple.

DrCrawford
08-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Don't really care about women's wrestling, so I wanna see the hottest pieces of ass on my television possible when given the choice.

i dont care for wwe diva's wrestling because its not entertaining. if i wanted to see playboy-esque models id just look at playboy. i watch wrestling to see entertaining matches, not divas.

McLegend
08-19-2010, 12:48 AM

I agree 100%.

But yeah WWE is definitely sexiest. As am I in most of my TV watching.

owenbrown
08-19-2010, 12:54 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/SexyStar-wrestling.jpg

They consider this "overweight"....

Here's a vid.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Vmx0cGrzn8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Vmx0cGrzn8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

She's in the black mask.

Johnny Ace is fucking crazy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_batkaLdAQi4/SoHe96dOMPI/AAAAAAAAEL8/TtGvUiP7mpE/s400/SEXY+STAR+AAA.jpg
http://planetdiva.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sexi-star.jpg?w=275&h=413
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2-7AdSkZA7I/SQia7-lW-UI/AAAAAAAATDA/eGEYS2554hk/s400/Sexy+Star-5.jpg

What the hell are they smoking in the WWE?

Kane Knight
08-19-2010, 12:55 AM
Women's wrestling is a side-show, much like the midgets were back in the 80's. They are there for the eye candy, not for the wrestling ability. It is pretty much that simple.

Yeah, people were weird in the 80s. I mean, jerking it to midgets?

Wishbone
08-19-2010, 01:05 AM
damnit WWE just keeps pissing me off every single day more and more........ if WWE really was trying to be the kid friendly role model company they are they would'nt be doing crap like this. if the average fan and the kidies parents knew what went on behind the scenes in WWE they'd probably shit they're pants. in the imortal words of the best in the world at what he does they're all just a bunch of hypocrits!

Skippord
08-19-2010, 01:57 AM
oh no the WWE didn't hire a womens wrestler

I'M OUTRAGED

Aguakate
08-19-2010, 02:11 AM
Wow, I feel horrible for "Sexy Star", as she takes wrestling seriously, she actually LOVES wrestling, and just wants to do what she does, unlike many of the women who want to get into wrestling just so that they can use it as a stepping stone to get into Hollywood or whatever.

They most likely hurt the feeling of a girl who really IS a wrestler...just CRUSHED her. That is SO wrong.

Vastardikai
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM
C'mon the guy who got where he was by making kissy faces to Mrs. Baba and then to Stephanie McMahon is the most fucking worthless thing in WWE, and that covers a lot of ground. Part of the reason Booker T left WWE is because Laurinitis chose FCW as the new WWE developmental territory over his school. T's school had better equipment and an actual facility. FCW was close to all the clubs Laurinitis likes to go to.

Dear Lord I hope a sexual harassment suit comes from this, if it's true.

Tom Guycott
08-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Hey BizarroKing, to answer your first "question 2", Gail Kim. Wasn't that long ago where she and more or less BUILT the women's division in TNA.

It's kind of depressing that it's the way of the business. I personally thought Maria looked like a rodent in the face and wrestled about as bad as Otunga (well... okay, no she didn't), but WWE made her a star. On the other side of the coin, TNA's Knockout division was gaining steam, and at the apex weither the chick was pretty or not, most of them could go in the ring and were getting over. In some cases, better than some of the men on the roster. But, we can't have that as it flies in the face of the wrestling biz, so that shit got derailed, and it is back to "unanimously sexy" cookie-cutter first. Ring and mic skills are a bonus.

Vastardikai
08-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Worst thing is, there HAVE been times when Women's Wrestling has been considered as important as men's wrestling. The peak of the Joshi scene in Japan is one of them. The peak of the Knockout Division in TNA is another one. Wendi Richter was as big of a draw as a Hogan before the Spider-Lady thing happened.

Skippord
08-19-2010, 05:37 AM
also this isn't sexist at all

Next Big Thing
08-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Is Playboy sexist for not wanting to put women that look like the offspring of Whoopie Goldberg and Barbara Walters on the cover? Is Victoria's Secret sexist for not having women with the body type of the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man walk down the runway? Is Abercrombie sexist for not having men that look like Comic Book Guy on their cover?

Just like Playboy, Victorias Secret, and Abercrombie WWE has an image that they want to portray. If they choose to be superficial then so be it. Can we really be surprised by the company that gave us Slick, Kerwin White, Cryme Thyme, made Trish Stratus bark like a dog, and had women wrestling in gravy?

Sexy Star looks damn good though and is very capable in the ring. Too bad TNA aborted it's Knockouts Division and has Bischoff in charge or else they could have really had something off of this.

Troelar
08-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Bottom line: If the consumer doesn't punish WWE for being sexist, then they're going to continue. If this came out in a big hype and Eric Cartmans mother got involved, I'm sure WWE ratings would plummet. Then we might see some changes around the Divas, but that's not gonna happen.

Tom Guycott
08-19-2010, 08:00 AM
NBT asked: "Is Playboy sexist for not wanting to put women that look like the offspring of Whoopie Goldberg and Barbara Walters on the cover?"

No, but they also don't tell a beautiful supermodel "Hey, you can't be in our magazine because you suck at math." Sure, it would be a plus if she were smart, but in the end, the product Playboy produces IS entirely image. With this example applied to the argument, a woman's wrestling ability- and I'm speaking wrestlers, not valets- should be the "looks", and their looks should be the "math". In a wrestling match, I'd rather see a Jazz than a Lacey Von Erich, although by standards of looks, Lacey would make the superior arm charm.

Tom Guycott
08-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Is Playboy sexist for not wanting to put women that look like the offspring of Whoopie Goldberg and Barbara Walters on the cover? Is Victoria's Secret sexist for not having women with the body type of the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man walk down the runway? Is Abercrombie sexist for not having men that look like Comic Book Guy on their cover?

Okay, I get it now. This is what I was tryna do. LOL @ teh N00b!!1!!eleven!!!

Next Big Thing
08-19-2010, 08:46 AM
NBT asked: "Is Playboy sexist for not wanting to put women that look like the offspring of Whoopie Goldberg and Barbara Walters on the cover?"

No, but they also don't tell a beautiful supermodel "Hey, you can't be in our magazine because you suck at math." Sure, it would be a plus if she were smart, but in the end, the product Playboy produces IS entirely image. With this example applied to the argument, a woman's wrestling ability- and I'm speaking wrestlers, not valets- should be the "looks", and their looks should be the "math". In a wrestling match, I'd rather see a Jazz than a Lacey Von Erich, although by standards of looks, Lacey would make the superior arm charm.

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2010/1/31/634005366103544860-Whatthehell.jpg

Snowden
08-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Sexist, no. Pragmatic, yes. Lets face it, the WWE has trained their fanbase to look at the divas as eye candy and nothing more. Promoting women who they don't view as someone "The universe" would be attracted to would be an incredibly silly business decision for them.

Plus, don't expect them to put an actual women's match together in the ring...they won't go longer than a couple of minutes. That being put into consideration, why NOT hire someone whose good looking over good in the ring, if the former is what you're selling?

Kane Knight
08-19-2010, 10:09 AM
damnit WWE just keeps pissing me off every single day more and more........ if WWE really was trying to be the kid friendly role model company they are they would'nt be doing crap like this. if the average fan and the kidies parents knew what went on behind the scenes in WWE they'd probably shit they're pants. in the imortal words of the best in the world at what he does they're all just a bunch of hypocrits!

WWE spends a lot of time obsessing about look, male or female. You're not going to get somewhere in WWE without either image, legacy, or the ability to endear yourself to the boss. This business is heavily based on look, probably less than mic skills but more than wrestling talent.

"Family Friendly" does not equal hypocritical because they want "sexy" women.

That being said, is anyone really surprised that WWE is prejudicial?

Kane Knight
08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
And pelase guys, don't make me defend WWE's policies. I feel dirty doing it.

Ermaximus
08-19-2010, 10:28 AM

Dead on the money.

Next Big Thing
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Not buying it. They made Booker a king, gave Ron Simmons his own catchphrase, and there have been TWO latino heavyweight champions... on Smackdown :shifty:

The Pope
08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
She's not that good. BUT, she can take a bump, and a good one too. (Through tables etc)

bigslimjj
08-19-2010, 11:45 AM
TNA and WWE are both sexist.WWE in a "We don't want no ugly bitches." way.TNA in the "Look at this girls boobies!" kind of way. TNA does have better wrestlers in the knockout division though.

Troelar
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
TNA does have boobs on display, but at least their DIVAs aren't consistently used in 3v3 swim suit/evening wear/summer time/sexy attire/etc. matches.

Only recent thing I can think of is Lacey putting on the start of a strip show, but that was quite rudely interrupted by, something the WWE hardly has any of, the storyline of the women's division.

DAMN iNATOR
08-19-2010, 01:55 PM
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6190/412tp3.jpg
Maskless (on the left, I believe, I think the girl on the right is a fan...not sure though. Either way, with looks like that, there's no fucking way WWE can be serious saying she needs the mask, unless they want her to be like the first/next huge WWE Diva who is also a luchador or something...even then, though, I'm not so sure I'd approve of the mask.)

DAMN iNATOR
08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Not buying it. They made Booker a king, gave Ron Simmons his own catchphrase, and there have been TWO latino heavyweight champions... on Smackdown :shifty:

NO WAY! :eek::shifty:

Tom Guycott
08-20-2010, 02:00 AM
The most puzzling part is: if women's wrestling is so unimportant to WWE as to be strictly thought of as eye candy and piss breaks, why even have a champion, let alone TWO? Well, technically three, (for some reason, I dig the gimmicked "best friends" half-belts) although WWE is really not taking advantge of this as a storyline at all. They did better with Jericho/Chyna as Co-IC strap holders.

DAMN iNATOR
08-20-2010, 02:09 AM
The most puzzling part is: if women's wrestling is so unimportant to WWE as to be strictly thought of as eye candy and piss breaks, why even have a champion, let alone TWO? Well, technically three, (for some reason, I dig the gimmicked "best friends" half-belts) although WWE is really not taking advantge of this as a storyline at all. They did better with Jericho/Chyna as Co-IC strap holders.

Got a feeling the 2 are about to become 1, as Why else would Lay-Cool make an "offer" to Melina if she weren't Divas' Champion (supposedly happened on the RAW taped to air Monday, why it's not Live is beyond me), especially seeing as Theodore Long recently ordered Layla and Michelle to have only one of them hold the Women's Championship? Seems pretty obvious they're going to unify them by or before NoC to me.

Tom Guycott
08-20-2010, 04:00 AM
I just meant that why bother crowning a women's wrestling champion at all if getting women wrestlers aren't that important?

And why then, should they "look like they belong in Playboy"... yet get future endeavored if they WERE in Playboy, or have photographic evidence of showing the goodies in any way, shape, or form?

Nevermind, my head hurts. I should stop beating this dead horse and just lookit all the pretties.

DAMN iNATOR
08-20-2010, 04:11 AM
I just meant that why bother crowning a women's wrestling champion at all if getting women wrestlers aren't that important?

And why then, should they "look like they belong in Playboy"... yet get future endeavored if they WERE in Playboy, or have photographic evidence of showing the goodies in any way, shape, or form?

Nevermind, my head hurts. I should stop beating this dead horse and just lookit all the pretties.

A.) Because believe it or not, some divas actually want something to strive for, and very few, 2 that I can count, Jacqueline and Chyna have ever gone on to win anything other than the Women's title. Jacqueline captured the Cruiserweight Championship off Jamie Noble for a bit, and of course Chyna was and still is the only female (although not really, technically, but still...) IC Champion.

B.) In the type of environment WWE is in (PG) these days, they can't always be putting on bra & panties matches and bikini spectaculars and this-and-that. They actually have to make an effort to try and show that the divas are more than just eye-candy, even if only marginally so.

Next Big Thing
08-20-2010, 08:41 AM
B.) In the type of environment WWE is in (PG) these days, they can't always be putting on bra & panties matches and bikini spectaculars and this-and-that. They actually have to make an effort to try and show that the divas are more than just eye-candy, even if only marginally so.[/QUOTE]

I disagree here. Turning the divas into eye candy is exactly what they've done. Natalya and Maryse have been turned into arm candy. The Bellas exist for stupid guest host skits. Tamina is now in a comedy angle with Santino. The rest of them exist to team up with or lose to Melina who, interestingly enough, may have the most "Playboy" look out of all those who aren't valets or in comedy sketches.

Kane Knight
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Looking like you could be in Playboy =/= being in Playboy.

Seriously, how does that make your head hurt?

They want a clean image, but they still want "Playboy level" women to attract the guys.

Tom Guycott
08-23-2010, 05:08 AM
I think everyone was missing my point of the operative word I was trying to use being "wrestling". That's what made my head hurt. Everyone got so caught up about the "Playboy" part. It wasn't the Playboy vs PG image thing. I truly get that.

Maybe it was my sarcasm about what I consider a "mixed message" of Playboy model being the archetype, yet those who were actually Playboy models have to be distanced. I personally think this is funny. About as funny as people feigning massive suprise over steroids in baseball, yet loved the great homerun race between McGuire and Sosa. Sorry if I was too vague on that not being the focal point. I didn't want to make a whole "TL;DR" expositional piece or drag this topic on longer. Now I'm doing both. Thanks.

If they're willing to bypass great workers for the sake of pretty faces, why can't they fight over a tiara or something. To me, it is kind of like the World Champion being determined by a posedown competition. "David Otunga has a more impressive physique than Kurt Angle... lets give him the strap." Why is this automatically a less stupid concept when applied to the women's division??

They could have Salma Hayek and Cote de Pablo feud over looks more like who, and them being hot would pique my interest once, but one catfight would end that. Who would seriously want to see an extended multi-week feud over a title? It would relegate to "Ooh, hot entrance. Okay, PISS BREAK!" until the "real wrestlers" (read: men) come back.

WWE having two women's titles or even one eventual unified or whatever is kind of like that thing where Mankind was "awarded" the Hardcore belt. Before it was seemingly legitimized as an actual title (and well before the whole 24/7 craptacular made it back into a comedy act), it was supposed to be a joke- part of an angle. The women who can work aren't given the time or effort. The ones who look good but blow lots of spots or are limited in the ring even to a casual fan get title shots. How does this make you believe any of the female wrestlers should do anything but accompany guys to the ring and distract refs?

If no one gets the argument I tried to make this time, then I obviously fail.
I dragged this on longer than I wanted to in the first place.

Furious Beardsley
08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Can we really be surprised by the company that...made Trish Stratus bark like a dog, and had women wrestling in gravy?

Don't forget having Mae Young give birth to a hand. As well as anything else involving Mae Young pretty much.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/274/127/Untitled_display_image.jpg?1277574553