PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Finally Hacked

#BROKEN Hasney
08-19-2010, 07:20 AM
* PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.
* Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
* Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
* PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
* Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)
* Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
* Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.
* Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.
* Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

It's from http://www.ozmodchips.com and psx-scene.com have a working one in their possesion allegedly. They are both quite good websites so it'll be interesting to see if this is all good.

http://www.psjailbreak.com (server seems hammered right now)

It's been discussed by a few legit sources on Twitter as well. Thinking this is the real deal. Best source I've found:

http://www.ps3news.com/forums/ps3-hacks/psjailbreak-playstation-3-jailbreak-ps3-consoles-arrives-112034.html

It's available for preorder now: http://www.ozmodchips.com/ps-jailbreak-worlds-first-ps3-modchip-plug-and-play-p-68.html

$170AUD though...

Funky Fly
08-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Wow.

Hey, kinda unrelated, but Heavy Rain needs to be constantly connected to the internet to play, right? What happens if you've never taken your PS3 online? You just have a useless game?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
From what I've read, it doesn't need constant internet to play, no. That leap year bug stopped the game from booting and everyone assumed it was because of PSN connection when it was the bug stopping the game from starting.

What Would Kevin Do?
08-19-2010, 09:32 AM
God damnit! This better not hit it big, or Sony will probably do something stupid to stop it, like try to update PS3 firmware to not allow USB harddrives.

What Would Kevin Do?
08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Sony could fix this extremely easily. Disc-based patches. Basically make a patch to stop the dongle from doing it's thing, release it as a normal patch, but also put it into all new games, making it autorun once the game is inserted, and if you cancel it, the game doesn't play.

Problem solved.

Ogen
08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Wait so this $170 to buy it part, if its a usb thing will someone not just upload it to the internet right away and everyone can download it to their USB stick right away?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-19-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't think it's a standard USB stick. It's alleged to be a clone of a device PS3 repairers can use much like the Pandoras Battery for PSP.

Once it's out though, someone will clone it and sell it cheaper. Sure of it.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Sony could fix this extremely easily. Disc-based patches. Basically make a patch to stop the dongle from doing it's thing, release it as a normal patch, but also put it into all new games, making it autorun once the game is inserted, and if you cancel it, the game doesn't play.

Problem solved.

See feature 4 above.

Not only that but Nintendo and Sony did the same things with the Wii and PSP. Once you can run unsigned code, you can modify the disc contents to not run the check for software updates.

Probably won't be able to go on PSN once this is popularised though.

Kane Knight
08-19-2010, 06:39 PM
The shitty thing is I'd love to be able to rip games completely to my HDD, but it doesn't seem worth it.

OssMan
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
remember how all the homebrew on wii is free

alvarado52
08-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Hell to the yeah. I don't use my ps3 online anyway so this is pure win for me

G
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Hell to the yeah. I don't use my ps3 online anyway so this is pure win for me

Same. Gonna wait like a year though for more rip offs of this to come out at cheaper prices.

alvarado52
08-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah, early adoption is something i learned not to do since the 32X/Sega Saturn

#BROKEN Hasney
08-23-2010, 03:19 AM
www.x3jailbreak.com

Should start selling from next week at $20-40 each.

Obviously, if you plan on getting one, don't update the firmware past 3.41.

V
08-23-2010, 04:59 AM

Problem solved.

The thing is, hackers can bypass this. The way they do it on wii, is they create "safe updater" programs that will update the files you need to play the new games without killing the mod. And as stated, the mod will probably block all disc updates.

Sucks that you can't just soft-mod it though. I'd hate to have to hard mod my wii.

But yeah.. downloading ISOs and playing them off my HDD for my wii has been the greatest thing ever. On top of that, the homebrew apps can do so much.. play old school games (SNES, genesis, etc.), install operating systems, play third party games, purchase DLC content for free etc...

If I had a PS3 I would definetely look into this. My wii was a paper weight until I homebrew'd it up.

G
08-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Now that we've determined that the PSJailbreak (http://joystiq.com/tag/psjailbreak) dongle is real (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/24/psjailbreak-is-real-is-sold-out-and-is-likely-to-get-your-cons/) ... the question of its authenticity has abruptly been made moot. The Australian Federal Court has temporarily enjoined retailers from selling or distributing the devices. The court also ordered that a number of PSJailbreaks are to be "released to [Sony] for such analysis, including destructive analysis, as the Applicants think fit, upon the payment to the applicable respondent of its retail price for each such PSJailbreak Device."

If we're reading this correctly, that means that OzModchips and the other named retailers are legally forbidden from selling PSJailbreaks outside of Sony, and legally forced to sell PSJailbreaks to Sony. In any case, once Sony's had a chance to figure out exactly how this thing works, it basically won't matter if the injunction is lifted later, as the PSJailbreak will be rendered useless by a firmware update.

Kane Knight
08-29-2010, 01:46 AM
LOL. That sucks, but it's kinda funny, too.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
OK, some guys who wanted Linux back on the PS3 have pretty much shown how sucky the PS3's security system is. These fail0verflow people basically found a massive hole in the security which on a conventional secure machine, needs a random number response. They found that the random number is the same every time.

Using this, they could grab the keys needed to sign software. This is a hardware feature so all PS3's can now have code signed on any firmware. It's basically now as secure as a Dreamcast. They even found the PSP keys in the PS3 system files.

Basically, no dongles will be needed and anyone is going to e able to install anything to their PS3. Custom firmware, Linux, ISOLoaders, you name it.

Only bad thing is that PSN is going to be loaded with cheaters...

Kane Knight
01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
OK, some guys who wanted Linux back on the PS3 have pretty much shown how sucky the PS3's security system is. These fail0verflow people basically found a massive hole in the security which on a conventional secure machine, needs a random number response. They found that the random number is the same every time.

Using this, they could grab the keys needed to sign software. This is a hardware feature so all PS3's can now have code signed on any firmware. It's basically now as secure as a Dreamcast. They even found the PSP keys in the PS3 system files.

Basically, no dongles will be needed and anyone is going to e able to install anything to their PS3. Custom firmware, Linux, ISOLoaders, you name it.

Only bad thing is that PSN is going to be loaded with cheaters...

You left out the best part. I'm pretty sure the fail0verflow guys were the oens who said it.

Basically, the only thing that kept people from hacking the PS3 was with Linux, nobody was really trying to crack the PS3's security system. So dropping Linux? Good plan, guys.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Geohot gave it some poking but nothing major. Ever since they took Linux out of all PS3's, they've had a substantial effort to hack it.

Geohot was the one to find most the keys after fail0verflow smacked it about. He's now offered himself to work for any of the 3 console makers because he thinks it would be 'fun' to work on the other side.

Vietnamese Crippler
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail-Videos-Within

Videos of the conference where they revealed the flaw for anyone that cares.

Boomer
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Just hope the Homebrew community flourishes on the system. Considering I've really tried hard to stop pirating games recently, its more about seeing what people can do with what's given to them. Original Xbox stuff was impressive, and I would love to see more of that.