PDA

View Full Version : Is Twitter Good for Wrestling?

rated rjo
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think anyone has brought this up before and looking at Joey Styles comments on the Nexus got me thinking...

Lately I wonder if WWE and TNA both regret pushing their stars to join Twitter. The TNA talent just keeps shooting themselves in the foot by promising "big surprises" and "major changes", only to never really deliver or have it spoiled by another one of their stars. And WWE stars, well, they just seem to keep saying all of the things they shouldn't be on Twitter, break kayfabe, and get fired for it. Take Matt Hardy for example, I actually can't tell anymore if the guy is tweeting in character or as himself. I have a feeling that he's gonna lose his job one day because of something he writes on Twitter. Just sayin..

Beyond that, sometimes I wish that they would carry over twitter discussions to their tv programming. Remember the Twitter War between Jericho and Miz. Why did we never get that on RAW?!?! Everything they wrote slamming each other was just hilarious.

Ultimately, I want to know what is your guys' opinion is on how twitter is helping or hurting wrestling.

The Naitch
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
wrestling is evolving so fast these days. From 2005-2010 is went light speed_style

Ultra Mantis
09-04-2010, 07:34 PM
The TNA talent just keeps shooting themselves in the foot by promising "big surprises" and "major changes", only to never really deliver or have it spoiled by another one of their stars.

It's not the TNA talent making those mistakes, its the owner and the founder that are the problem.

To be honest I dont think wrestlers being on twitter is a problem, it's not really part on the "program" but just a tool to make the fans feel more involved with the stars and more likely to support them (ie. buy merchandise) for replying to one of the one hundred questions they ask a minute.

rated rjo
09-04-2010, 07:36 PM
If Dixie wants to put herself on TV, that makes her a performer just like the rest of the guys and gals in the locker room. So when I say talent, I count her in there too - although in her case, I guess the term should probably be used more loosely.

Jarrett, Pope, and others have also made the mistake of teasing the arrival of specific wrestlers when they shouldn't have.

Volare
09-04-2010, 07:37 PM
wrestling is evolving so fast these days. From 2005-2010 is went light speed_style

I think it went faster.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ogbGLV8QR58?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ogbGLV8QR58?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&start=48" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ultra Mantis
09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
If Dixie wants to put herself on TV, that makes her a performer just like the rest of the guys and gals in the locker room. So when I say talent, I count her in there too - although in her case, I guess the term should probably be used more loosely.

Jarrett, Pope, and others have also made the mistake of teasing the arrival of specific wrestlers when they shouldn't have.

Jarrett is one of the bosses too and really should know better. As for Pope leaking the Carlito signing and the girl revealing Tara was the biker chick, neither signing is a big deal to anybody but TNA management. If say, Skip Sheffield, was tweeting about how he was going to be on Raw and something "huge" was happening then it would be an issue.

I get the Matt Hardy thing, he should probably keep his mouth shut, but on the other hand he's just trying to get people interested in him so he can keep his spot and I'm sure he's smart enough to fellate anyone higher up and claim kayfabe if they questions his comments.

Stuff like Miz/Jericho and more recently Zack Ryder/Christian is pretty enjoyable to see.

rated rjo
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Its not just that stuff but when certain performers are on Twitter, knowing what we know about the WWE's twitter policy, somethings can seem a little out-of-whack. Take Orton on Twitter, it just confuses me. Yeah he's a tweener and it's a good way to keep building his fanbase. But when I think twitter, I don't think the Viper. Is it supposed to be a character thing for Orton or not?

Cena's is. Miz's is. Jericho's is. You get the idea.

The E is not being consistent on how they want to use Twitter for fan engagment.

ministrychick77
09-06-2010, 08:56 PM
it gets fans involved. for some of us, when a wrestler replies to a question you've asked.. we totally mark out. i've had a few wrestlers/divas reply to me. in a way it makes me feel appreciated, which makes me want to support my favorite wrestlers more..

think i've had taz, cena, layla, and a couple others reply to me.

Kane Knight
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM

That's trying to shoehorn her in, however. The other guys, yeah (Though Jarrett makes more sense than the Pope), but Dixie is still promoting as a promoter, even if she does so poorly.

TNA's fan feedback is frustrating. They spend all that time connecting with the community and then ignore it. Dixie and Bisch have even argued with fans over it, which seems to miss the point, but whatever.

WWE is doing it a sa perfunctory thing. They want to remain relevant, but they still have a very anti-internet sentiment. A lot of the disparity you see comes from a dated mindset trying to remain contemporary. I don't doubt WWE has some level of "buyer's remorse" here, but they're a pretty controlling company, so I'm not sure how much damage can be done.

Twitter is just a medium, though. It's the use that's good or bad, and I'm not sure it's either all in all.