PDA

View Full Version : Buckle Up: What To Do About The Belts

Mr. C
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
You know what’s a belt that I miss? The Pure Championship. I’d love to see something like that in WWE. Have Chris Jericho fail to win the title a few times and say that he's bringing in a belt that only an athlete could hold: Pure title. Have him brag about his accomplishments and defend it against a few scrubs to build up some credibility, and then have Daniel Bryan upset Jericho and win it one night. Could be brilliant.

Matches for the championship are conducted under Pure Rules. The rules are:

1. There are no punches to the face allowed in a match. Punches to other parts of the body (except for low blows) are permitted. The first use of a punch to the face will get a warning, and the second will cause the wrestler to be disqualified.

2. The championship can change hands on a countout or disqualification.

Just a gimmick belt to change things up a bit would be awesome.

VSG
09-04-2010, 10:30 PM
You know your sig is void right?

Mr. C
09-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Recently removed it. Please contribute.

YoungFlyFlashy
09-04-2010, 10:48 PM
No. I hate this idea. Not attacking you or anything but the idea sucks, reminds me of how stubborn WCW when they didn't let go of their "Over the top rope" DQ rule.

The Naitch
09-04-2010, 10:55 PM
lol pure championship

they should just make a brand new WWE Undisputed Championship Belt (hopefully better looking than the one Brock won from The Rock)

Juan
09-04-2010, 10:58 PM
The Pure Championship was kind of cool, but it would never work in WWE.

The Pope
09-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe in RoH or somewhere where emphasis is on wrestling and not storylines.

Mr. Nerfect
09-04-2010, 11:34 PM
I was just thinking about ROH bring back the Pure Championship today. But I really don't think it would work in the WWE.

Juan
09-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't even think it'd work in ROH anymore at this point. What with the TV title and all.

VSG
09-05-2010, 12:51 AM
The idea is good, but it won't work in the sports-entertainment industry unfortunately.

Volare
09-05-2010, 01:18 AM
Cole would be on TV calling it the "Internet Belt."

Rammsteinmad
09-05-2010, 03:51 AM
The Pure Championship wouldn't work in the WWE.

Hell, by removing punches, that'd already take away about 70% of John Cenas moveset.

Domino
09-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Yeah.....no.

jskinnyg
09-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Like the idea too... Not sure if it would work well with today's audience though... Would be nice to see the Unified belt return...

The Naitch
09-05-2010, 12:13 PM
lol pure championship

What Would Kevin Do?
09-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Actually, my favorite thing about the pure title was the set number of rope breaks.

I think it was like, you get three rope breaks, and after you use them, you're fucked. Also, if you use a closed fist, or do something illegal, you're penalized a rope break, and if you run out of rope breaks and do something illegal, it's a DQ

Xero
09-05-2010, 01:14 PM
What would you say would be the best Pure Title Match which exhibits the essence of the gimmick, Mr. Do?

VSG
09-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Jack Swagger's match with MVP last week?

bigslimjj
09-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I'd rather see the european title honestly.

Juan
09-05-2010, 04:13 PM
What would you say would be the best Pure Title Match which exhibits the essence of the gimmick, Mr. Do?

Bryan Danielson vs. Nigel McGuinness - Title vs Title, @ Weekend of Champions: Night Two, April 29, 2006.

Mr. C
09-05-2010, 04:55 PM
This thread is about "What To Do About The Belts." You guys don't have to keep bashing the Pure Championship, unless you just want to.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
What Juan said.

Some of Nigel's matches with Claudio for the pure title were good too.

Nigel was pretty amazing with the title, as he'd essentially play the cheap heel, and do thinks like blast his opponent when the ref wasn't looking, so when his opponent blasted him back with a punch to the face, the ref would see it and take a rope break away.

Next Big Thing
09-05-2010, 05:17 PM
You have Kaval, Bryan, Justin Gabriel, Evan Bourne, Christian, Yoshi Tatsu, etc... so if they truly are going to unify all the belts, why not drop the U.S. title since it's on par with the IC strap and bring back the Television Title. Hell, you could even throw Morrison, Rey, and Truth into that mix from time to time.

That would give them 4 singles titles and if the heavyweight titles are unified, maybe the Television Title could be featured predominantly on Smackdown since I highly doubt the heavyweight champ is going to be in action on both shows.

The way I see it, none of those guys listed above are ever going to get multiple reigns as the heavyweight champion if the titles are unified unless it's a Booker T/Benoit/Eddie career appreciation type deal, yet they're talented and entertaining enough to where they could make programs for the television title matches must see t.v. for whatever show they're on.

FourFifty
09-05-2010, 05:26 PM
You know what’s a belt that I miss? The Pure Championship. I’d love to see something like that in WWE. Have Chris Jericho fail to win the title a few times and say that he's bringing in a belt that only an athlete could hold: Pure title. Have him brag about his accomplishments and defend it against a few scrubs to build up some credibility, and then have Daniel Bryan upset Jericho and win it one night. Could be brilliant.

Matches for the championship are conducted under Pure Rules. The rules are:

1. There are no punches to the face allowed in a match. Punches to other parts of the body (except for low blows) are permitted. The first use of a punch to the face will get a warning, and the second will cause the wrestler to be disqualified.

2. The championship can change hands on a countout or disqualification.

Just a gimmick belt to change things up a bit would be awesome.

Terrible idea. Like, seriously, that's such a bad idea. The "pure" title is a waste of time, money, effort, and time. Yes, I know I said time before, but it's so bad it had to be said twice. We have 7 titles already (WHC, WWE, Divas, Womens, US, IC, Tag Team) and soon to be 6 (with the Divas and Womens turning into one title at NoC). We do not need another title.

But hey, let's just say "WE NEED ANOTHER TITLE OR VINCE McMACHON WILL DROWN A SACK OF KITTENS!" Let's also keep your last statement in mind about a gimmick belt. I'd rather see a TVPG Hardcore title than a "pure" title. Just do some brawling backstage, on a ramp, outside, give it to Hornswoggle, a NXT wrestler, the 6'9" diva in FCW, etc.
A new WWE title has to be something that WWE could use to draw potential WWE fans to WWE to generate money for WWE. Not a gimmick title that might work in RoH.

And just to be on the safe side, I already have my response to you if you want to vindicate the "pure" title for WWE. Hell, it even works for a "pure" title in TNA.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJ7mLJK4X5I&███████████?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480">

Next Big Thing
09-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Terrible idea. Like, seriously, that's such a bad idea. The "pure" title is a waste of time, money, effort, and time. Yes, I know I said time before, but it's so bad it had to be said twice. We have 7 titles already (WHC, WWE, Divas, Womens, US, IC, Tag Team) and soon to be 6 (with the Divas and Womens turning into one title at NoC). We do not need another title.

But hey, let's just say "WE NEED ANOTHER TITLE OR VINCE McMACHON WILL DROWN A SACK OF KITTENS!" Let's also keep your last statement in mind about a gimmick belt. I'd rather see a TVPG Hardcore title than a "pure" title. Just do some brawling backstage, on a ramp, outside, give it to Hornswoggle, a NXT wrestler, the 6'9" diva in FCW, etc.
A new WWE title has to be something that WWE could use to draw potential WWE fans to WWE to generate money for WWE. Not a gimmick title that might work in RoH.

And just to be on the safe side, I already have my response to you if you want to vindicate the "pure" title for WWE. Hell, it even works for a "pure" title in TNA.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZJ7mLJK4X5I&███████████?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480">

This is actually more of my fault, but this is America so it's okay to blame someone else for your problems/ faults and if it's a minority you blame it's two stamps on your White Privilege card so I hope you're Mexican FourFifty.

I'm sitting in a review session for Constitutional Law, bored out of mind so I decide to come to the forums (that's why I'm posting so much right now). I scroll down to Four Fifty's post and see the spoiler link. Expecting a picture of gratuitous nudity/violence or a video where you have the benefit of a PLAY button I hit the link.

Thanks to Four Fifty and the crispness of my Macbook Pro speakers my professor and 35 of my future colleagues got to hear Penn Jillette in all of his glory.

Evil Vito
09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The only new sort of title I wouldn't mind is a TV Title with the caveat being that it must be defended every Raw, SmackDown, and PPV. It'd be a good way to make somebody into a fighting champion. A guy with good in-ring skills but not as good on the mic would be perfect for that.

Of course, the idea of the belt would be better if there weren't so many cross-promotional matches as is. Being able to float between shows could be a privelage for a guy like, say, CM Punk. He could use his obligation to wrestle on both shows as a chance to do extra scouting for building a new SES. Wade Barrett could use the TV Title to do scouting for additions to the Nexus, etc.

But since the brands mean nothing more than what nameplate you come out to, the idea wouldn't be very effective at this point.</font>

Next Big Thing
09-05-2010, 07:44 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The only new sort of title I wouldn't mind is a TV Title with the caveat being that it must be defended every Raw, SmackDown, and PPV. It'd be a good way to make somebody into a fighting champion. A guy with good in-ring skills but not as good on the mic would be perfect for that.

Of course, the idea of the belt would be better if there weren't so many cross-promotional matches as is. Being able to float between shows could be a privelage for a guy like, say, CM Punk. He could use his obligation to wrestle on both shows as a chance to do extra scouting for building a new SES. Wade Barrett could use the TV Title to do scouting for additions to the Nexus, etc.

But since the brands mean nothing more than what nameplate you come out to, the idea wouldn't be very effective at this point.</font>

I thought I was going to get my ass handed to me for that idea. Glad someone agrees.

I don't know about the guy defending it every week on both shows, plus PPVs, especially since Smackdown is taped the night after Raw. That would be kind of rough. Plus house shows and special appearances... Nowinski and Mero would love that shit.

I'd kind of rather see it on Smackdown, since that's the show where guys still get to kind of wrestle.

FourFifty
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
This is actually more of my fault, but this is America so it's okay to blame someone else for your problems/ faults and if it's a minority you blame it's two stamps on your White Privilege card so I hope you're Mexican FourFifty.

Jewish, does that count?

This incident will undoubtedly be used by the media to further push the narrative that the controversy over the Mosque near Ground Zero in New York shows how Americans are bigoted against Muslims. So here’s some clarifying info from the FBI. According to the latest hate crime statistics available (http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/civilrights/hate.htm), there were 1,606 hate crime offenses motivated by religious bias in 2008. A closer look shows 65.7 percent of them were committed against Jews. Against Muslims? 7.7 percent.

It better :rant:

FourFifty
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Update- While I'm not Mexican, I'm going to have some Mexican in me.
Eatin' tacos!

Next Big Thing
09-06-2010, 06:40 AM
Jewish, does that count?

[/B][/COLOR]It better :rant:

I once dated a Jewish girl. She could suck the nail out of a two by four if she had to. Fun times.... I'll count it.

Mr. Nerfect
09-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I thought I was going to get my ass handed to me for that idea. Glad someone agrees.

I don't know about the guy defending it every week on both shows, plus PPVs, especially since Smackdown is taped the night after Raw. That would be kind of rough. Plus house shows and special appearances... Nowinski and Mero would love that shit.

I'd kind of rather see it on Smackdown, since that's the show where guys still get to kind of wrestle.

You'd take the TV Champion off house shows so that they didn't get too burned out.

I like the idea of a TV Title, because, it could be used on so many different levels. A guy holding it would mount credibility, just because it HAD to be defended. If a guy keeps it for five weeks, that means like nineteen defences (five RAW, five SmackDown!, nine PPV). A face could really earn their stripes using it to get themselves over, but it could also serve as a way to get top talent onto both shows (CM Punk using it to "spread his Straight Edge message" would be a fantastic example).

Guys get more exposure with it, they stand out, and with guaranteed title defences each week, that can be a bit of an episodic draw.

The only other title I'd be somewhat interested in seeing added, would be some sort of "Under 30's Championship." A title for young guys to fight over. It'd be...intriguing. Young guys wouldn't be restricted to competing for only that title, but it gives some younger guys a bit of a place-holder until they bypass that green stage. Even some guys challenging for it can get attention because people would be reminding that they are "young." For example, Chris Masters is only like 27, so still has many years left where he is eligible for the title. If people just saw him challenging for it, he wouldn't seem so out of place on the roster, in my opinion.

Have Jack Swagger become the inaugural champ, and have it go from there.

Next Big Thing
09-06-2010, 10:27 AM
You'd take the TV Champion off house shows so that they didn't get too burned out.

Don't hate me... just playing devil's advocate. Wouldn't not being able to work house shows cost him money from a contractual perspective? You'd almost have to bump up his pay on the t.v. shows and that would inevitably lead to bitching and complaining in the locker room.

I like the idea of a under 30's belt, it's just that I fear there are so few guys capable of carrying it or if they are carrying it would anyone actually care? What about some sort of "amateur" title that I go is immediately ineligible for once he challenges for the heavyweight title?

parkmania
09-06-2010, 07:24 PM

</font>

This could potentially work if you keep it on the guys that have limited schedules built into their contracts (Taker, what Jericho wants, what HBK had). They perform at all tapings, but don't have to go out on the house show circuit as much.

parkmania
09-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Time out!

Either I lack basic reading comprehension, or someone went thread-merge crazy right after I posted.

WHICH ONE IS IT?!?!?

Stickman
09-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Million Dollar Belt

DLVH84
09-08-2010, 01:27 AM
The Pure Championship, to me, would be a great idea, probably for SmackDown!, since Michael Hayes book the show to be more wrestling-oriented.

M-A-G
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Gimmick belts don't have a long track record of success. The belts they have are fine as they are, they just need to be handled like belts should be handled and not props. If we were talking a small time fed where the emphasis is on the wrestling, then a pure championship belt would be great. The only real gimmick belt with any sort of major degree of success would be the X-Division Title and even that one's seen better days.

Lock Jaw
09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Lock Jaw's Contribution to the Discussion:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2me1qbb.gif
Buckle Up, Teddy