PDA

View Full Version : Would keeping WCW as a "company" instead of Smackdown with a GM helped the brand split be better received?

Next Big Thing
09-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I apologize to Triple Naitch for kind of ripping his booking the Invasion thread but I want you're true opinions on if the WWE would be a more entertaining product if it was WWE vs. WCW instead of Raw vs. Smackdown

This is how I would have booked the WWE after WCW was bought, give me your honest opinion on how you guys as fans would have perceived it versus what we actually got. By the way, this is assuming that Vince, his ego, and his writers are not involved and the WCW/ECW guys got a fair shake.

Honestly.... I would have kept WCW a "separate" company. Let Shane run things over there and let Vince have Raw. I’m going to follow the same 8 week timeline as the Invasion angle.

Since it would all have to be done on the USA network, I would have had Raw go to three hours for the first two months after WCW was bought.

WCW would have the first hour and a half, then Raw could have the last hour and a half. Nitro would have it's own pyro and announcers and Raw would have its own set.

For the first couple of weeks I'd show Vince and Shane giving pep talks to their "companies" telling their guys to ignore the other side, just go out there and show why WWE or WCW is the best. You could have backstage segments of the Raw guys bitching about having to share locker room space with the WCW guys, you could show stare downs and side conversations between wrestlers on both sides, maybe have a cat fight between the women but nothing too physical and no real acknowledgement.

The second two weeks I'd start to build the intensity. I'd have an amazing Nitro main event run long and go into Raws allotted "time." Right before the finish I'd have the Raw music and pyro go off with the Raw refs, announcers, and ring crew walking to the ring and then the entrance music for the WWE guys who are in the first match of Raw. I think the interaction between the refs, hearing the announcers take off their headsets and hand them to the other guys, seeing the WWE apron draped over the WCW apron would be a good audio/visual for the viewers and fans. You could even cut to Shane and Vince arguing in the back.

Weeks five and six I’d have the WCW champions cut a promo about how much better they are than the WWE champions. I’d also have the announcers for WCW “shoot” on the WWE talent. This is where you could also have the WWE guys start to question the loyalty of the WCW alumni in the company and set up the whole mistrust angle. On one Monday night I’d have the Raw main event interrupted by a huge brawl between both “companies” to get the newly formed animosity over. This would also be where the groundwork for the PPV “Monday Night War” would be laid.

Weeks seven and eight would be more of the same but I’d have the WCW guys interrupt the WWE main event and beat the hell out of those guys in week seven and then the WWE guys beat the hell out of the WCW guys the week before the PPV.

The PPV would be called the “Monday Night War” or something corny like that and the entire premise would be a 9 match card and whichever company had the most wins at the end of the night would “win” the Monday Night Wars and get the timeslot. Of course WWE would win and maybe Nitro would move to Tuesday or take Smackdown’s Thursday slot.

Next Big Thing
09-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I think the biggest mistake they made with the angle was making it about the individuals instead of about the company. WCW clearly didn’t have the same level of name talent, but that could have been minimized if you focused on the individual companies in my opinion.

After that PPV you could maybe enhance WCW's talent by having someone like Austin get pissed at Vince and sign with Shane and WCW or have some of the old WCW guys go back.

Then you could have another WCW vs. WWE PPV the next year. I'd hype it and promote it as second only to Wrestlemania. This would be where I'd debut someone like Goldberg, or the NWO and have WCW go over. I feel like this would set the stage for WCW being seen as a legit brand. Then you could put in place the silly GMs and all that other shit.

SRRM
09-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Yea i think they should have a WCW company running 2 roster.

my idea was run WWE & WCW programming 4 example

Monday NIght would be Raw & Nitro on 2 different channels like USA & (another NBC channel)

Tuesday Still have NXT but they pick either go to WCW or WWE

Thursday Have WCW Thunder. Move Superstars to Saturday

Friday Have Smackdown

Saturday WWE Superstars & WCW World Wide (have jobbers wrestle have have some good matches)

Sunday Have Heat to promote PPV and have matches

Swiss Ultimate
09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Definitely not in competition with each other time-wise, no channel would go for that. However, there'd be that chance that you would have kept a lot of WCW fans who just stopped watching. As bad as WCW was at the end, there was a lot that they did extremely well.

Shadrick
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
run on two diff channels? at the same time? what??

glanville6
09-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Raw was on Spike by this time as well

Furious Beardsley
09-06-2010, 02:09 AM
I think running as 2 companies would have been good. With WWE having the monday night time slot. Then WCW having the smackdown time slot. Then you could have all the champions on each brand...then once a year do the whole WWE vs WCW PPV to determine the dominance of one over the other.

You could even have cross brand main events with something WWE Champ Vs. WCW Champ. Maybe even have the other company win the belt from the other show. That would set up some cool angles I think.

PapaGeorgio
09-06-2010, 02:42 AM
I like the idea of it. But I think a major issue is branding it as WCW. I would have greatly enjoyed it but WWE is a business with shareholders. There is some importance to making it crystal clear its a WWE show. It would be odd for it to be say WWE presents WCW Nitro or something similiar when there is supposed to be an illusion that Shane bought WCW and made it a competing brand.

The Naitch
09-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Once the WCW/WWE novelty wore off, I think Vince was more interested in using WCW guys and evolving them into a WWE product.

Jordan
09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
No I think in the long term the right decision was made, I am glad that "WCW" isn't around.

Xero
09-06-2010, 03:09 PM
I like the idea of it. But I think a major issue is branding it as WCW. I would have greatly enjoyed it but WWE is a business with shareholders. There is some importance to making it crystal clear its a WWE show. It would be odd for it to be say WWE presents WCW Nitro or something similiar when there is supposed to be an illusion that Shane bought WCW and made it a competing brand.

What about ECW? When WWE ran ECW it's have its own logo and didn't really allude to being WWE until later in the run.

erickman
09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Definitely not in competition with each other time-wise, no channel would go for that. However, there'd be that chance that you would have kept a lot of WCW fans who just stopped watching. As bad as WCW was at the end, there was a lot that they did extremely well.

most of the wcw fans that left wrestling did not like wwe product, so they would see vinces name and not like it. they moved ether to tna roh or mma.

PapaGeorgio
09-06-2010, 04:14 PM
What about ECW? When WWE ran ECW it's have its own logo and didn't really allude to being WWE until later in the run.

Decent point, but to me it still had WWE written all over it. I guess WCW could have been done like that, but I personally wouldn't have wanted it like that. I would have wanted an entire WCW feel to the show. It's just a tricky situation where you have to find the right balance to truly make it feel like another company but also give a nod to WWE.

M-A-G
09-06-2010, 04:17 PM
There was no way it would've survived long being branded as WCW. The networks didn't go for it and even if they had, the WCW loyalists wouldn't have supported it since it wasn't going to be WCW, just WCW under the vision of Vince McMahon. Would they have made some major coin with a proper 'company vs. company feud'? Absolutely but that would've only lasted so long as people would've eventually realized, "Hey, we're not making any new stars."

parkmania
09-06-2010, 07:10 PM

The differences in that arguement:

- WCW and WWE were VERY similar in conent and what they were about, whereas (original) ECW was a very different show in terms of what was highlighted.

- By the time ECW "came back", everyone knew the wrestling wars were (at least temporarily) over, and that Vince had won.

We all saw what happened when Donald Trump "bought" Raw - imagine what would have happened in the 8 weeks immediately following Vince ACTUALLY buying WCW.

JEPW
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Vince would never accept using the WCW name. Ever.