PDA

View Full Version : Could Mysterio turn heel effectively?

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2010, 10:20 AM
He never was able to in the past. However, with the state of the WWE roster there are a lot of possible match-ups where I could see Mysterio turning heel.

This thread isn't about whether he "should" turn heel, but rather if he could pull it off.

What do you think?

Xero
09-14-2010, 10:25 AM
It's not THAT hard IF he goes all-out bastard heel. Denounce the fans and go after a major face, like Taker or Cena. Start coming out in a suit and remove the mask, saying that it means nothing to him because it represents everything the fans are that he hates.

It's been seen with someone like Michaels that if you're that over, it's going to be hard, but Michaels never denounced the fans and never became something the fans didn't want. You can have Mysterio tease his major spots and not deliver. Like tease the 619 but stop in the middle of it and low blow the guy blatantly. If it weren't PG, I'd have him flip off the crowd there, too.

It would feel forced but I think it could work. I don't think you could turn Mysterio heel in WWE's atmosphere without it feeling forced.

EDWARD
09-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Mysterio turning heel would be a fresh idea, great concept, but to be honest, I couldn't take someone of his size and stature seriously.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2010, 10:29 AM
With guys like Bourne, Keval, Tyson and etc I think he could pull it off to some extent.

EDWARD
09-14-2010, 10:31 AM
True, and after reading Xero's post, I think that would be a good idea.

Xero
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
The thing about Mysterio is that, at least in WCW or WWE, he was never an effective heel. He was a heel in WCW, but he was relying on a group, and that only lasted a year or two. He's never played a heel that would be on par with someone like heel Orton, which is what he'd expected to be.

Wishbone
09-14-2010, 10:37 AM
can't really see this working Mysterio is just too over that I think the fans would cheer him no matter what unless you took Xero's idea of making him a total dick but even then I think the best you would get is making the fans just not really care anymore. Basically I'm sayin' in PG WWE I couldn't see it working.

EDWARD
09-14-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh, if he were to turn heel, I don't think he would be effective like Orton, or some other dangerous heels. This would have to be a slow turn.

Maybe like the whole "betray your friend" kind of deal. Have him team with someone when he returns, like Kaval, then they both go after people like Del Rio and McIntyre, and eventually have Kaval lose matches for them, then after another loss, have Mysterio just beat the shit out of Kaval.

bigslimjj
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Nope.

Ultra Mantis
09-14-2010, 10:52 AM
If done right then I could buy into him as a heel. Actually, if he had joined the SES I would have found his character a lot more interesting. He would need to change his style slightly, subbing out some of the flippy babyface stuff (which could actually give him a few extra years in the ring) and drop the 619. He could even fake out the 619 to get some heat (as Xero said). He doesn't need to destroy people, the guy managed to legit break Undertaker's face so just show he can do damage despite his size.

As for his look, make him less colourful and maybe switch up the mask so it's a bit more "rudo" and menacing. Avoid the devil horns at all cost.

Swiss Ultimate
09-14-2010, 11:01 AM
I'd like to see him get corrupted to the dark side by Kane, yeah it's hokey and all but, it'd be like watching Star Wars with luchadores.

BizarroKing
09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Reform the lWo?

The Pope
09-14-2010, 11:40 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHTgXjGQBLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHTgXjGQBLY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FourFifty
09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
No. Too many kids like him.

Fox
09-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Rey doesn't have the mic skills to really be a heel. He doesn't have Eddie's slyness or Triple H's bastardry. He barely has the mic skills to be a face and relies on his mask, high flying moves and sucking up to the little kids to stay over.

The thing about a good heel is they have to be considered a threat. Mysterio is not a threat in and of himself. If he started a new LWO, that I might be able to buy into, but once again, he doesn't have the mic skills Eddie had to drive the group.

Rey is just one of those guys like Sting or Jeff Hardy who does a great job of playing a face, and should probably stick to that.

jskinnyg
09-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Rey doesn't have the mic skills to really be a heel. He doesn't have Eddie's slyness or Triple H's bastardry. He barely has the mic skills to be a face and relies on his mask, high flying moves and sucking up to the little kids to stay over.

The thing about a good heel is they have to be considered a threat. Mysterio is not a threat in and of himself. If he started a new LWO, that I might be able to buy into, but once again, he doesn't have the mic skills Eddie had to drive the group.

Rey is just one of those guys like Sting or Jeff Hardy who does a great job of playing a face, and should probably stick to that.

:yes::yes::yes:

The Pope
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
He can always just play a racist guy towards Americans.

Snowden
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
You know that whole giant slayer, tons of heart, guy who'll never give up Rey? Turn that on its head.

Have Rey come out, face a bigger heel (say, Drew McIntyre), and when he's getting the tar beat out of him, have him sneak out of the ring and walk up the ramp. Next week, Rey has a rematch, where he and McIntyre have a 10 minute match, but neither can put the other down. Rey, dog tired, leaves the ring and says fuck it all.

A segment the next week on Smackdown has Teddy Long confronting Rey about why he's been backing out of matches. Rey kind of blows Teddy off, saying that he's his own man and can do his own thing, and Teddy's got no right to call him out on it. Teddy books him against McIntyre again, with the dictum that if Rey walks out, he's suspended.

Rey is losing the match when he begins to walk out, but a smile comes over his face and he goes back into the match. For the rest of the time, Rey takes every shortcut possible, grabbing the tights, feet on the rope, until the ending sees Rey untie the bottom ringpost buckle and 619ing McIntyre onto the exposed steel.

Next week, Rey comes out to a largely mixed reaction. He tells the fans that, quite honestly, he's tired. He's been in this business for 20 years, entertaining children and adults around the world. He's put his body on the line, his life on the line, all in the name of entertaining the fans. But quite honestly, he can't do it the same way anymore. His knees are shot, but all people want is for him to keep hurting himself...he doesn't owe the fans any more of his life.

Hopefully here the fans start booing some more, visibly upsetting Rey. He goes off, saying that he's worked his ass off, but people don't say is name in the same sentence as the Undertaker, John Cena, Randy Orton. Why? He tells the fans that he's through trying to please them when, after all these years of dedication, they turn on him like this. The fans can keep filling up his bank accounts by buying his masks, thats all he asks, THEY owe HIM that much.

From therein, Rey cheats and takes the easy way out as much as possible, drops all the fanfare from his entrance, and takes on a very bitter attitude.

Schlomey
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Mysterio turning heel would be a fresh idea, great concept, but to be honest, I couldn't take someone of his size and stature seriously.

This is how I feel as well. His voice is so tiny as well (and he sucks on the stick) that him coming out cutting a heel promo would not be effective at all.

Lock Jaw
09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Rey is "the boss" of Nexus.

JEPW
09-14-2010, 01:58 PM
He does need something to re-vitalize him. I so wish he'd lost at WM and joined the SES. Could have worn an SES mask and would have been backed up by CM Punk for promos. Also that would have opened up a whole interested can of worms ala Mysterio's pals who have died or had terrible things happen to them because of substance abuse. WWE would not have the balls to run that storyline but it would be intense.

bigslimjj
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
They tried this in the filthy animals click in WCW. Everyone hated it then. I don't think he can play heel. Like Ricky Steamboat.

Gerard
09-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Have him join up with Hornswoggle and form a team called the Twin Twerps, then have them dominate all the Giant sized wrestlers. :nono:

EDWARD
09-14-2010, 03:30 PM
He does need something to re-vitalize him. I so wish he'd lost at WM and joined the SES. Could have worn an SES mask and would have been backed up by CM Punk for promos. Also that would have opened up a whole interested can of worms ala Mysterio's pals who have died or had terrible things happen to them because of substance abuse. WWE would not have the balls to run that storyline but it would be intense.

Not disputing you in any way, but if Rey would've lost at WM, I think he still would have been babyface. Just because he is a part of heel stable, dosen't mean he has to act like a heel. There would've have been some kinda loop hole for him to find and attack the SES on his own again.

Hanso Amore
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
He is the Underdog in eveyr match, doesnt work for a heel.

He would need to start a group or get a bodyguard that could help him.

Start a run where he is heel and continues to slide through wins by cheating and interference or stipulations.

He could never be a dominat heel, but could be the Cowardly cheater heel.

Have him get sick of playing hero for the kiddies and getting beat up for doing what is right. Have him "hold out" of matchers for more money.

Onyx
09-14-2010, 05:08 PM
I think the only way it could work is if you give him a manager to cut his promos and interfere in his matches, or a huge bodyguard (like Diesel was to HBK back in '94). Hell, bring in a pissed off Aloisia out for revenge over being robbed from her spot in NXT, and have her be Rey's bodyguard and do the HHH/Chyna thing. Plus you have to admit, a team with such a small man and such a large woman would be pretty entertaining. Then go with the "bitter over putting his body on the line and not getting the appreciation he deserves" attitude, and have him bring in the aforementioned "insurance policy" to protect him in his matches. Once you take away Rey's heart and turn him into a coward who hides behind someone bigger and stronger and uses them to win matches, it will get heat. Plus it would be pretty believable. Like a wimp at school bribing a bully to watch his back, and letting it go to his head. Turn Rey into the little annoying jerk at school that everyone wanted to pound.

parkmania
09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
This plan worked so well for THE Brian Kendrick, didn't it?

Aguakate
09-14-2010, 10:27 PM
With guys like Bourne, Keval, Tyson and etc I think he could pull it off to some extent.

Shoot, he could have all of 'em join together with Mysterio as the leader and have 'em be known as "The Underdogs" or something, and rebel against WWE and it's fans for "continuosly underestimating us only because of our size", and deciding to DEMAND the respect they feel they rightfully deserve.

Emperor Smeat
09-14-2010, 10:34 PM
They could make him become paranoid over time by believing everyone wants to remove his mask since in Mexico the mask is seen as a special status in wrestling. Since he's the only one left with a mask in the WWE, he could start to become arrogant in believing he's the best wrestler.

It could be similar to how HBK became paranoid over time with the idea of needing to get revenge over the Undertaker for loosing. For Rey, just have him start to get upset when wrestlers touch his mask during a match and later snaps when he thinks someone might be grabbing it to pull it off.

XL
09-15-2010, 06:32 AM
I think the only way it could work is if you give him a manager to cut his promos and interfere in his matches, or a huge bodyguard (like Diesel was to HBK back in '94). Hell, bring in a pissed off Aloisia out for revenge over being robbed from her spot in NXT, and have her be Rey's bodyguard and do the HHH/Chyna thing. Plus you have to admit, a team with such a small man and such a large woman would be pretty entertaining. Then go with the "bitter over putting his body on the line and not getting the appreciation he deserves" attitude, and have him bring in the aforementioned "insurance policy" to protect him in his matches. Once you take away Rey's heart and turn him into a coward who hides behind someone bigger and stronger and uses them to win matches, it will get heat. Plus it would be pretty believable. Like a wimp at school bribing a bully to watch his back, and letting it go to his head. Turn Rey into the little annoying jerk at school that everyone wanted to pound.
I like the idea of having Rey hide behind a bodyguard but not Aloisia. It wouldn't work on 2 levels for me. 1) She looks more awkward that intimidating. Much like Cottonwood. 2) WWE would end up booking it as an "Odd Couple Romance" between a little guy and a big girl.

Bring in Awesome Kong and use her, that could work. Or failing that a big guy.

Sixx
09-15-2010, 06:51 AM
Start coming out in a suit and remove the mask, saying that it means nothing to him because it represents everything the fans are that he hates.

This would look so stupid. The guy looks like a tattooed infant.

The Naitch
09-15-2010, 01:41 PM
no. I see them turning Cena heel before Rey Rey. So it's never gonna happen

Snowden had a good idea though

Too much merchandise money to be lost if they turned REy heel, as would the same with Cena

Schlomey
09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
This would look so stupid. The guy looks like a tattooed infant.

and he sounds like one, too. :p

The Gold Standard
09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I do not think he would be able to pull it off. I think it would lead to his release to be honest. I think his character would just plummet so much that he wouldn't be able to recover.

Onyx
09-16-2010, 07:19 PM
This plan worked so well for THE Brian Kendrick, didn't it?

It was working just fine, until he got into trouble for drugs and attitude problems. He was one of the most notorious potheads in the WWE, and kept smoking regularly despite constant fines and warnings. He was receiving a push with this gimmick and bodyguard, then because of his backstage issues WWE stopped his push in its tracks just as he was getting going, jobbed him out for awhile, then fired him. They just got tired of dealing with him. Had Kendrick of kept himself in line, it would have worked well for him.

But the key is you have to bring in a bodyguard that fans will give a shit about. HBK had the WWE bring in Kevin Nash/Diesel after seeing his work elsewhere, and knew he could pull it off. He wasn't just some random choice because of his size.

Testicle
09-16-2010, 07:24 PM
No, and it would not make sense as they would lose tons in merchandise.