PDA

View Full Version : You shoulda' seen him when...

Eklipse
09-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Since I was young, I have loved watching pro wrestling. My favorite of all time would undoubtedly be The Undertaker. I grew up watching him, his epic battles with Mankind, feuds with Steve Austin and The Rock, and possibly his last great moments with HBK . As I sat and watched RAW tonight with my 9 month old son, I realized that he may never get to see The Dead Man perform live, or atleast nowhere near his prime. I then wonder about what superstars HE will grow up watching. Will his favorite be Miz? Evan Bourne? Or a superstar we haven't even seen yet?

As much as I miss it I'm glad that the attitude era is over. Wrestling is something I wanna share with my son.

I just hope that, in relates to 'Taker, I never have to say "You shoulda' seen him when..."

Nibb High football rules!!!!

Schlomey
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
you can say that about half of the TNA roster.

Eklipse
09-21-2010, 12:08 AM
you can say that about half of the TNA roster.

What was the old WcW slogan? "Where the big boys come to play"?
TnA should inherit that.

Lock Jaw
09-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I remember watching old or classic wrestling with my dad and he was always like "Oh, this guy! This guy was so great, he was always fun to watch!"

Schlomey
09-21-2010, 08:37 AM
That Baron Von Raschke could really thrill a crowd in his prime!

The Pope
09-21-2010, 11:02 AM
I never knew of someone who would want to ruin their own thread.

Next Big Thing
09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
At only 9 months old, the superstars your son will grow up watching probably haven't even turned 18 yet. It's going to be interesting to see how the wrestling business goes with this new generation of young fans that WWE is trying to attract.

The Pope
09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
At only 9 months old, the superstars your son will grow up watching probably haven't even turned 18 yet. It's going to be interesting to see how the wrestling business goes with this new generation of young fans that WWE is trying to attract.

Very good post. :y:

MoFo
09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I wonder what kids who are used to seeing Cena and the stars of this 'era' think of guys like Savage, Perfect, Rick Rude, etc.

Next Big Thing
09-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I wonder what kids who are used to seeing Cena and the stars of this 'era' think of guys like Savage, Perfect, Rick Rude, etc.

If you're not a basketball fan this probably won't relate to you, but I remember in middle school these fucking idiots talking about how much better Allen Iverson was than Michael Jordan only because at that time Jordan was past his prime/ retired and Iverson was hot shit. It's probably a lot like that with kids thinking Orton is the new Stone Cold and Cena is the best ever...

Eklipse
09-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Excellent point....but u never know...Orton could be the next Flair. (Someone who continued to wrestle 20 years after they should have retired)

Next Big Thing
09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Excellent point....but u never know...Orton could be the next Flair. (Someone who continued to wrestle 20 years after they should have retired)

Orton said he doesn't plan on going into his 40's and if he saves his money and invests wisely he won't have to.

The days of guys wrestling into their late 50's and early 60's will be done soon. WWE is the biggest player in the business and they've proven they won't let guys go that long. Them ushering Flair into a retirement he didn't want proves that.

I think today's batch of wrestlers want a life outside of it more so than the previous generation. It's why Jericho has Fozzy and tried hosting. RVD and Hardy left WWE because they wanted to do more drugs and less wrestling. Shawn retired despite having 2 or 3 years left and Edge seems to be looking to wind things down soon too.

Plus as much as I think Flair loves the business, I believe that if he wasn't in need of money he wouldn't be as active as he is now. He once mocked TNA, now he works for them. Same deal with Hogan. He didn't pop up with TNA until the divorce, lawsuit settlement, and lawyer's fees started rolling in.

It's for the better that these guys retire earlier too in my opinion. We've been exposed to enough saggy old man tits from Hogan and Flair... let's not wish Cena's sagging man tits onto our kids... Seeing Nash, Sting, Hogan, Flair, and Foley trying to wrestle is pathetic and a 50 year old Randy Orton with tattooed sleeves still trying to RKO someone would be right up there with them.

Joe Kerr
09-21-2010, 04:30 PM
i was born in 82...so for me growing up it was all about Hogan

Next Big Thing
09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I was born in '86. It's so funny that the storyline that got me hooked on wrestling is something that so many people consider the cheesiest shit ever.

It was when Taker took the first of his soon to be annual hiatus's. WWE would run promos of various locals claiming to have seen the Undertaker. One guy was a baker and claimed that Taker came in and ordered a half dozen coffin shaped cookies. Then Dibiase came into the fold with his version of Taker. Once Paul Bearer got involved I was hooked and got my parents to buy the Taker vs. Taker Summerslam. I didn't even watch the other matches, I just wanted to see Taker. When Paul Bearer came out and did the light show with the urn, I was hooked... Everything about Taker's character at that time was amazing to me.

Savio
09-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Your sons fav wrestler will probably be Ric Flair

Eklipse
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Your sons fav wrestler will probably be Ric Flair

Lies! Undertaker, Orton, and Morrison seem to be his favorites. He is glued to the tv when they are on.

The Naitch
09-21-2010, 07:21 PM
make sure he read every single one of Destro 2.0's posts

Eklipse
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Just wanted to say that as witty as some of you are, nobody has said anything about the Billy Madison reference...:)

Eklipse
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I never knew of someone who would want to ruin their own thread.
Wasn't trying to ruin the thread. Was replying to a post since it did have relevance. I wasn't going to start a new thread just to reply.