PDA

View Full Version : Should WWE Make A Serious Attempt to Break the WM3 Attendance Record?

CWK
09-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Could it be done?

If they drastically downsized the enormous entrance stages that are now customary for Wrestlemania's which would clear way for more seats, could they break the official WM3 attendance record of 93,173?

Could they draw a crowd that large with the stars they have now?

Or should they just leave that record to the Pontiac Silverdome and WM3?

Razzamajazz
09-23-2010, 11:52 PM
it could be done, just not in the near future with the way the wwe is right now

The Pope
09-23-2010, 11:53 PM
They would have to purchase 50,000 of those and give them away.

VSG
09-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Doesn't Wrestlemania always sell out? The only issue I can think of is that the cheapest seats will be really far away from the ring itself and those might have to be filled for free.

Razzamajazz
09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
this last wm had a shit ton of empty seats in the upper areas

The Pope
09-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Doesn't Wrestlemania always sell out? The only issue I can think of is that the cheapest seats will be really far away from the ring itself and those might have to be filled for free.
No, they always buy tix and give them away.

this last wm had a shit ton of empty seats in the upper areas
Yeah, but University of Phoenix Stadium is huge though.

CWK
09-23-2010, 11:59 PM

There was an assload of empty seats at Wrestlemania this year.

VSG
09-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Like I said, that's more a logistics issue than an entertainment issue.

CWK
09-24-2010, 12:01 AM
No, they always buy tix and give them away.

Yeah, but University of Phoenix Stadium is huge though.

In 2007, they had over 80,000 at Ford Field

CWK
09-24-2010, 12:02 AM
I think they could do it at Cowboy's Stadium in Dallas. If they can put 108,000+ in there for an NBA All-Star game, they can beat 93,173 for Wrestlemania

The Pope
09-24-2010, 12:03 AM
In 2007, they had over 80,000 at Ford Field

When the economy didn't suck?

CWK
09-24-2010, 12:07 AM

Ok in 2008 when the economy fell off a cliff, they still put nearly 75,000 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. You know, the state of Florida where the housing market took the biggest hit in the country besides California.

Razzamajazz
09-24-2010, 12:08 AM

the unemployment rate was higher in 1987 than it was in 2007

CWK
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Maybe they should just do WrestleStock. In a gigantic field, its already a weekend event anyways, why not just go with it? Set up port-o-potties, the whole bit. Draw a million people.

Fox
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
They would need a major draw. Hulk versus Andre was THE selling point of WrestleMania 3, and wrestling and the WWF and it's fans were all very different at the time than what they are now.

Rock versus Cena in Canada might do it, but I don't know.

The Pope
09-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Ok in 2008 when the economy fell off a cliff, they still put nearly 75,000 at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. You know, the state of Florida where the housing market took the biggest hit in the country besides California.

That's football, which has a hell of a lot more fans than wrestling.

The Pope
09-24-2010, 12:16 AM
and wrestling and the WWF and it's fans were all very different at the time than what they are now.

CWK
09-24-2010, 12:26 AM
They would need a major draw. Hulk versus Andre was THE selling point of WrestleMania 3, and wrestling and the WWF and it's fans were all very different at the time than what they are now.

Rock versus Cena in Canada might do it, but I don't know.

Good points made, and I do know the Hulk vs. Andre was THE selling point of WM3, but they also had a very developed undercard as well with the Savage vs. Steamboat feud going on for quite some time. They also had one of my favorite matches on the PPV, Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis, that one was entertaining as hell. Jake the Snake vs. HTM, the list goes on.

If they were to break it, they would need a very strong card all around. Wrestlemania 19's card comes to mind. Something along those lines.

Droford
09-24-2010, 01:30 AM
Theres only a couple locations where they could reasonably expect to draw that many and most of them are outdoor locations further north. WWE's best shot would be LA Coliseum or the Rose Bowl both do more than 90,000 for football and are warm weather in late March/early April.

DInsaneOne
09-24-2010, 01:54 AM
They would probably have to slash ticket prices and provide more seating accomodation.
Like CWK and FOX said, there would need to be a major draw.

The entire card has to be structured in such a way that it makes people want to emotionally invest in the matches whether first or last.

St. Jimmy
09-24-2010, 02:01 AM
they could do it in the UK.

Schlomey
09-24-2010, 02:16 AM
they could do it in middle earth.

but for serious. No they will never in this age draw the WM3 type crowd. It's a different day and the world has changed. They didn't have HD PPV at home/bars/restaurants and ticket prices weren't insane. There was a lot less access (no internet) and a lot more belief in the product to be honest.

The only way to get it there would be to give away free tickets and the amount of free tickets they would have to distribute would honestly make it a big fucking joke.

James Steele
09-24-2010, 02:46 AM
http://www.nfl-football-odds.org/resources/Controversy-in-the-New-Cowboys-Stadium.jpg

Easily.

voncouch
09-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Well, they originally tried that with Wrestlemania 7. They booked it in the LA Memorial Coliseum, but when tickets wouldn't move they made up a "security problem" story and moved it across the street to the LA Memorial Sports Arena. If there was any time they could have beaten their record, it was in the late 90's when wrestling was fire-hot. But I couldn't fathom 95,000 fans buying a ticket to see Sheamus or John Cena. No knock to them, but there's a huge drop off from Hogan to Cena when it comes to ticket sales.

The only match that could draw those numbers today, with a very solid undercard, is if Taker announced his final match for Mania. If Taker, with the completely undefeated streak, is retiring at mania, there's going to be alot of people who will want to be there to see if the streak officially ends. Anything short of that, though, I can't picture it.

voncouch
09-24-2010, 04:54 AM
On second thought, though, they would have to give the fans something they really want. Aside from Taker retiring, perhaps bringing in the Macho Man for one more match might put asses in the seats as well. WWE is all about nostalgia, and I think if they did Savage vs Vince that would sell some tickets. They've done the Legend vs Vince to death (Hogan, Piper, Bret, etc), but who wouldn't want to see Savage hit one more flying elbow on Vinnie Mac?

DaVe
09-24-2010, 05:44 AM

? no

it's wrestling. Wrestlemania.

RiX1024
09-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Doubt it, i think they want to keep the record at WM3.

XL
09-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Isn't the 93,000 attendance figure bogus? The actual figure was 78,000, right?

Attitude99
09-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Isn't the 93,000 attendance figure bogus? The actual figure was 78,000, right?

Yes There Were Never 93000 and there never will be so many ppl, it was just a gag

Nicky Fives
09-24-2010, 08:05 AM
I think they could do it at Cowboy's Stadium in Dallas. If they can put 108,000+ in there for an NBA All-Star game, they can beat 93,173 for Wrestlemania

I was thinking the same.....

The Pope
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes There Were Never 93000 and there never will be so many ppl, it was just a gag

I heard that there wasn't even that much seats there but that was from someone. Not sure if it's true or not.

The Pope
09-24-2010, 10:42 AM

? no

it's wrestling. Wrestlemania.

He said the Citrus Bowl. That's a college football game.

Volare
09-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Um, that's the actual name of the stadium.

(From Wiki, so that we get everyone on the same page)

The Florida Citrus Bowl, formerly Orlando Stadium, Tangerine Bowl and the Citrus Bowl, is a stadium in Orlando, Florida, USA, built for football which currently seats around 70,000 people. Its main events are the Capital One Bowl, the Champs Sports Bowl, and Monster Jam. It also hosts the annual Florida Classic between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman, and the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. The Citrus Bowl is also primary home of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League.

Tickets went on sale November 3, 2007. Over 41,000 tickets were sold in 60 minutes, making WrestleMania XXIV the highest-grossing event in the history of the Citrus Bowl. In the end, 74,635 Fans attended the event, smashing the previous Citrus Bowl record. According to a study by Enigma Research Corp. of Toronto, the Citrus Bowl's record-breaking attendance of 74,635, consisting of people from 21 countries, all 50 states, and five Canadian provinces, ended up pumping an estimated $51.5 million, surpassing the projected $25 million, into the local economy and generated $1.8 million in local tax revenue.[

It's also home to the infamous pyro accident.

Chavo Classic
09-24-2010, 02:33 PM
they could do it in the UK.

Not really. The biggest stadium Wembley only holds 90,000, which would be reduced further as they'd need to seal off one side for the entrance. There would definitely be enough demand for tickets though.

The Pope
09-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Um, that's the actual name of the stadium.

(From Wiki, so that we get everyone on the same page)

The Florida Citrus Bowl, formerly Orlando Stadium, Tangerine Bowl and the Citrus Bowl, is a stadium in Orlando, Florida, USA, built for football which currently seats around 70,000 people. Its main events are the Capital One Bowl, the Champs Sports Bowl, and Monster Jam. It also hosts the annual Florida Classic between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman, and the MEAC/SWAC Challenge. The Citrus Bowl is also primary home of the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League.

Tickets went on sale November 3, 2007. Over 41,000 tickets were sold in 60 minutes, making WrestleMania XXIV the highest-grossing event in the history of the Citrus Bowl. In the end, 74,635 Fans attended the event, smashing the previous Citrus Bowl record. According to a study by Enigma Research Corp. of Toronto, the Citrus Bowl's record-breaking attendance of 74,635, consisting of people from 21 countries, all 50 states, and five Canadian provinces, ended up pumping an estimated $51.5 million, surpassing the projected $25 million, into the local economy and generated $1.8 million in local tax revenue.[

It's also home to the infamous pyro accident.
:$ But it has only 70,000 seats

Volare
09-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, 70,000 in the stands, you aren't counting all the seats on the floor/field as well.

BizarroKing
09-24-2010, 06:03 PM
So in all honesty, apparently 23 holds the record, right?

XL
09-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Not really. The biggest stadium Wembley only holds 90,000, which would be reduced further as they'd need to seal off one side for the entrance. There would definitely be enough demand for tickets though.

Yeah, 90,000 in the stands, you aren't counting all the seats on the floor/field as well.