PDA

View Full Version : Vince, we have a problem

BigCrippyZ
09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
So, with all of the "bad" news recently with the WWE, RAW's low ratings the last two weeks, NXT with no matches this week, etc., does anyone think that Vince may finally be realizing that they have some serous fundamental problems within their organization?

I know they obvously have some excuses and somewhat legit reasons for the low ratings, MNF, premiere of primetime, pre-taped RAW this week, etc., but how can they expect to compete with MMA, reality TV (DWTS, Jersey Shore), prime time TV shows (Two &1/2 Men, etc) and other actual sports like Monday night football, without doing something drastic to re-vamp the product?

I know that I personally, have not been inclined or interested enough to watch the last several weeks.

The Naitch
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Hot Lesbian Action

Next Big Thing
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Monday Night Football has always been a factor so I'm not buying that as an excuse for their lowest ratings in three years. You hit it right on the head... with so many other things to catch viewer interest... by taping the show, having studpid comedy segments, D-List guest hosts, and endings that are merely variations of the last three weeks' endings all presented in a PG format, why would any 18-35 year old male watch or feel proud telling someone else to watch?

The Pope
09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Jersey Shore is on Thursdays when IMPACT is on.

Nicky Fives
09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Kiddies will still watch no matter what else is on...... focusing on the PG-13 environment is good, but if they want to compete they'll have to explore thier options, like making Raw PG-13, while Smackdown would be more edgy or vice versa.....

BizarroKing
09-29-2010, 03:50 PM
I'll be happy once this whole election is over. Then maybe things will go back to normal or more edgier.

Rammsteinmad
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Obviously Vince is so determined to alienate WWE from the term 'pro wrestling' that the wrestlers will no longer wrestle.

The Naitch
09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
when did this whole PG shit happen?

I'm Canadian, don't know what laws they got now in the STATES

Xero
09-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Next Big Thing
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Do DVR recordings count towards ratings? If not, that may account for some of the drop too.

erickman
09-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Do DVR recordings count towards ratings? If not, that may account for some of the drop too.

yep they do thats why some cable shows push for you to dvr them. us dvrers save tna and smackdown.

Xero
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure it only counts if you view it within 24 hours of the airing. If I remember correctly, there are two ratings, one for the live airing which goes to I think 2 hours after it airs and another than goes to 24 hours after it airs.

erickman
09-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure it only counts if you view it within 24 hours of the airing. If I remember correctly, there are two ratings, one for the live airing which goes to I think 2 hours after it airs and another than goes to 24 hours after it airs.

well hell i still have dollhouse season 2 on my dvr guess i can't help that show. so if you want to save smackdown better watch within 24 hours.

BigCrippyZ
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Does anyone think that some people (or even anyone) within WWE realize they actually have some problems? Or are they all naive enough to believe the excuses of it's all due to the pre-taping, or premiere week, or MNF, or whatever?

Xero
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Does anyone think that some people (or even anyone) within WWE realize they actually have some problems? Or are they all naive enough to believe the excuses of it's all due to the pre-taping, or premiere week, or MNF, or whatever?

I think a lot of people see it, they just don't have the balls to go against Vince and speak up.

Kane Knight
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Kiddies will still watch no matter what else is on...... focusing on the PG-13 environment is good, but if they want to compete they'll have to explore thier options, like making Raw PG-13, while Smackdown would be more edgy or vice versa.....

They had a more toned down Smackdown and an edgier Raw. They didn't keep it. It's PG or bust.

I'll be happy once this whole election is over. Then maybe things will go back to normal or more edgier.

Yes, when the election is over, Vince will voluntarily turn away from the cash cow that is marketing to children in order to please us, the less profitable and less appreciative fanbase. While he's at it, he'll probably end the roster split and reduce tour dates.

Ratings are usually displayed as "live plus same day."

BigCrippyZ
09-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I think a lot of people see it, they just don't have the balls to go against Vince and speak up.

I could see that being the case. Although, I would also think that someone like HHH, Stephanie or Shane would say something. Though, to be fair, Stephanie just had a kid and probably doesn't think anything is wrong, and Shane just got out of wrestling, or is trying to.

AJ
09-29-2010, 08:46 PM

As KK pointed out earlier, the ratings we're used to seeing is Live+same day. Same day includes DVR viewing up to 3 A.M. local time. There's also live + 7 days, but for the purpose of setting advertising rates, live+SD is what is used.

Troelar
09-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Somebody who's on Twitter should throw a link to this post on whatever Cena's twitter is. Or maybe just throw it to Dixie Carter - she might be dumb enough to taunt Vince, who'll then realise the trouble!

BigCrippyZ
09-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Somebody who's on Twitter should throw a link to this post on whatever Cena's twitter is. Or maybe just throw it to Dixie Carter - she might be dumb enough to taunt Vince, who'll then realise the trouble!

Wow, I'm tempted just to sign up for Twitter just to do this, even though I know it wouldn't do any good.

Steveviscious89
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
ARGHHH!!!!......How many times do we have to have a 'oh no WWE isn't doing so good' thread. I'm glad everyone realizes this now instead of five years ago when it was CLEARLY already going down.

AJHayes
09-29-2010, 11:21 PM
There is a lot you can do under PG rules. There can still be wrestling, there can still be humor, there can still be intensity.

Leave your blood for PPVs, it will make things seem much more serious than if they happen all the time. To be honest, I think PG could be the best thing to happen, IF IT WERE DONE RIGHT.

...Which we all know it isn't.

Many things need to happen to make things good again. They need to hire either people that are either wrestling fans, have been in the wrestling business (better yet, retired wrestlers who are still fans.) and let the fans decide where the characters go, at first. You can control a gimmick and still give the fans a hell of a ride while you're at it. They just need talented writers.

Also:

Vince needs to back the fuck off.

You can't scream at your employees and expect them to be passionate and provide an incredible product for you. They have such a pool of talent that by all rights WWE should have absorbed TNA before they stopped charging $2.99 for a weekly show. When WWE bought WCW, it really was a terrible thing for the business. Yes, WCW had shit the bed in an epic fashion, but, if the main event players (see also: Thread about when it is time to retire/do commentary) had done the job, gotten the young guys over, they could have shit-canned the failed storylines and gimmicks and started from square 1. I think they could have pulled out of their funk and been something special again.

Just my series of thought on this.

Tom Guycott
09-30-2010, 08:05 AM
There is a lot you can do under PG rules. There can still be wrestling, there can still be humor, there can still be intensity.

That's the major portion of it. I had a lot to say, but I'm going to simplify:

They have enough talent that can get it done in the ring. They need to stop filling soo much time on tv with fleshing out storylines and backstage segements and give the guys who can go out there and put on a show TIME to go out there and put on a show, without it being seen as "throwing a bone to the IWC".

Attitude99
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
No Competion No Worry's

Theo Dious
09-30-2010, 07:13 PM

You're a fucking idiot, as is anyone who shares this opinion.

Next Big Thing
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
This current incarnation of WWE really does kind of resemble the WWE of the early 90's... just replace super baby face Bret Hart with super baby face Cena. Back then they were doing really campy, gimmicky shit before WCW came and forced them to go with solid characters and drop the clowns, midgets, and cartoonish gimmicks.

As was said before, the lack of legit competition means Vince doesn't have to change. Until there's a company taking market share away, he won't change.

Sycophant
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I think Vince knows there is a problem and that the product is getting stale. I know we can't trust many of the reports online, but I hope that Vince considering turning Cena heel is true. People have grown so tired of Super Cena. I think turning him heel would get most of the people who hate him back behind him. We just need something different. The last "oh shit" moment came when Nexus invaded and then it just kind of died from there. Think back though, when was the last "oh shit" moment before Nexus invaded...I can't even remember when that was for me. You want to look at how bad the show is right now...look at the 900th episode and how god awful it was.

Damian Rey
09-30-2010, 08:53 PM

I'd venture to say that more people who realize there's a problem then those that don't.

I agree with AJHayes on two things; Vince needs to backoff, and PG can be done right.

I think Vince's time passed a long time ago. Outside of making money, I question whether or not he still has that burning passion and desire that he displayed in the Federation years and the Attitude era. I think with the death of WCW, Vince has become understandably complacent. WWE is everything he could've ever wanted it to be. It's a publically traded company, has it's own on demand channel, sells a piss ton of merchandise, is globally popular, and is by and far the number one wrestling promotion on the planet. Vince has nothing left to accomplish in the business.

That's why I feel he should step away and let someone else take the ball and run with it. I would've love to have seen what Shane would've done with the company had he been given the chance to run it.

I don't think the programming being PG is a valid excuse for the ratings dip and the lack of interesting storylines and characters. It's an easy target to blame, but it's not valid.

To me, the quality of the show comes down to the writing staff's overall ability to create interesting, layered characters, and pit them against each other in interesting storylines and fueds. The rating your working with and the boundries within that rating are not an excuse for paper thin stories involving one dimensional characters.

Savio
09-30-2010, 11:58 PM
I find it funny that they bad mouth nXt so much on nXt

SOCCER LEGS
09-30-2010, 11:59 PM
lots of stupid people in this thread showing off their stupid.

Juan
10-01-2010, 12:03 AM
lots of stupid people in this thread showing off their stupid.

That's quite the ironic statement, coming from you, Mr. LEGS.

Kane Knight
10-03-2010, 12:19 AM
ARGHHH!!!!......How many times do we have to have a 'oh no WWE isn't doing so good' thread. I'm glad everyone realizes this now instead of five years ago when it was CLEARLY already going down.

You want to play "I told you so," get to the back of the line.

Indeed. I just wish the wrestling was strong, the jokes were funny, and the intensity wasn't camp.

Well, the wrestling is still strong in some cases. but overall, it's lacking. There's humour, even if many of the attempts come from recycled David Spade and Jay Leno bits. And like I said, the intensity is mostly corn. I like some of it for sure, but most of the time it's just dumb.

Like you said, PG can be fine. It has to be done right, and WWE doesn't. But maybe they learn.

SaskatchewanChamp
10-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Really? A bunch of dumb shits saying that the WWE is in trouble? Not too mention a bunch of dumb shits who know nothing about the profit margins of the company what so ever, nor do any of you know anything about the business PERIOD. May I suggest before you get these opinions out of your fucked up heads, you do some research backing your claims of the "downfall" before you put your ideas on the internet for the world too see, and again, laugh at the fucked up people inside the IWC.

Blitz
10-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Thread makes my head hurt.

Kane Knight
10-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Really? A bunch of dumb shits saying that the WWE is in trouble? Not too mention a bunch of dumb shits who know nothing about the profit margins of the company what so ever, nor do any of you know anything about the business PERIOD. May I suggest before you get these opinions out of your fucked up heads, you do some research backing your claims of the "downfall" before you put your ideas on the internet for the world too see, and again, laugh at the fucked up people inside the IWC.

Wow. The pot calling the kettle black. What is it about Canadian fans that makes you all border on being rabid sociopaths?

SaskatchewanChamp
10-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Wow. The pot calling the kettle black. What is it about Canadian fans that makes you all border on being rabid sociopaths?

It's because we are the best in the world at what we do :shifty:

Skippord
10-03-2010, 03:01 AM
ruthless aggression