PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Arcade game coming to Xbox live and PSN

LuigiD
10-09-2010, 02:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NnwWEdgKVbY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NnwWEdgKVbY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://kotaku.com/5659811/konamis-x+men-arcade-classic-headed-for-xbla-and-psn

#BROKEN Hasney
10-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Yup, been discussing the awesomeness of this in te videogame news thread. WELCOME TO DIE :heart:

Funky Fly
10-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Win.

whiteyford
10-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I'll have to buy this, loved it as a kid!

Blitz
10-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Fuck. Yes.

Kane Knight
10-09-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm so glad it's true. :D

Optimus Bone 69
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Super

LuigiD
10-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Never played this before with all 6 people. I think the max I did as a kid was 4. I am most excited about that.

Jeritron
10-09-2010, 06:57 PM
I play this often on my friend's MAME cabinet. It's as great as always

Razzamajazz
10-09-2010, 07:12 PM
i remember spending so much money and always getting my ass kicked at this game

Crazy Nick
10-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Really enjoyed this one back in the day, glad to see that we will finally get the game on consoles.

Kalyx triaD
10-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Great.

stultiloquy
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Cool, haven't played this since 1st grade.
I always loved how ridiculous that game is - they give Juggernaut a gun....because I guess he wasn't strong enough already.

Xero
10-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd always hear the opening and/or Colossus' roar when I'd be in an arcade. Every time.

Memories. :'(

DaveBrawl
10-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Awesome.

Fignuts
10-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I never used anyone other than Colossus. Ever.

LuigiD
10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Colossus had the best power for sure.
Some characters had some lame ass powers like Cyclops.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 12:00 AM
Cyclops' special does a ton of damage. I think it does more than anyone's actually. The challenge is getting it to connect though. It can only connect from a front on hit. It doesn't spread fire over a large area like the others.

Nightcrawler's special is pretty weak compared to the others, but he's easily the best in hand to hand combat. He's mad quick, and you can go a long time kicking copious amounts of ass without getting touched once.

Wolverine is just solid all around. Colossus, Nightcrawler and Wolverine is the trio to send in

dronepool
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Nice.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Dazzler is a waste of pixels. My dead lord why is she in it?

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
It always disappoined that this game sported the 80s X-Men look, but didn't come out until after the major Jim Lee makeover and the animated series.
As a kid in that era, naturally I expected to see the updated Cyclops and Storm, and wondered why Dazzler would be there when Gambit, Beast and Rogue were nowhere to be found

Blitz
10-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Releasing alternate costumes would be hot DLC. New characters would be hotter, but that's probably a big long shot.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 12:16 AM
I would absolute flip out with joy if they did that. I wondered what a sequel to that game with a stronger lineup would be like for years.
Adding more characters would be so mint.

stultiloquy
10-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Dazzler is a waste of pixels. My dead lord why is she in it?

I assumed she was just one of those characters who has/had a cult following in Japan at the time.
To her credit though, she did singlehandedly take out Juggernaut in the comics while on Muir Island....even if Juggie was more concerned with convincing her to go out on a date than actually fighting.

I would love to see some DLC X-Men rosters though - but it'll never happen.

LuigiD
10-11-2010, 01:32 AM
It will be interesting to see if they do that. I mean, the game does not have much replay value. You can probably go through it with 6 players in about an hour? maybe 90 minutes? some alternate costumes or new characters would totally seal he deal. New levels would as well but that is even more hopeful than having alternate costumes or characters.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
You can play through it much quicker than that. I'm not sure how long it takes, but it flies by. Maybe because it's just a boatload of fun, but I'd say the whole thing takes well under an hour. More like 30 minutes.

My friend has a MAME cabinet so I've played through just about every old beat em up in the past year or so. They're all great, but they're not as long as they seemed as a kid.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 01:46 AM
How hard would it really be to animate new characters though? They only do a few moves/motions. The technology is pretty simple. The characters jump, punch, do a special move, and the enemies take damage the same regardless of what's hitting them.

New characters can be tailored to play more or less in the same limitations.
If they add a second roster, the characters can even be chosen to fit the same balanced roles (Beast as the big guy a la Colossus, Gambit as the quick one a la Nightcrawler, etc.)

I'm not sure how it would be achieved, but it wouldn't really require any changes in the game as far as I can tell. It would just be an addition of more characters to choose from.
They went and re-animated the entire Turtles in Time beat em up. That was a pointless act and seems like it would require much more work.
I'd like to see 6 more characters added, like a whole new team, but they can mesh in with other combinations of old characters obviously.
How about...Beast, Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, Iceman, Archangel? I think adding gun toters like Cable or Bishop would fuck with the existing gameplay a bit much.

Fignuts
10-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Wouldn't bet on it. Like, at all.

Also, I've always liked the late 70's-80's x-men best. The roster and writing was never better, far as I'm concerned.

Jeritron
10-11-2010, 02:14 AM
It won't happen. I'm just talking about how awesome it would be

I always liked that the 70s and 80s lineup made things more global. Everyone was from a different place. I never liked how Colossus and Nightcrawler sort of got edged out of Xmen stories in other media. I'm glad they kept them around in the comics in the early 90s at least.
Revamping original characters like Beast and Angel worked because they were there from the start.
I liked newer additions like Rogue and Gambit as well, because although American they represented subcultures. That's why they worked.
Then came the characters from the future, and the first few of those were good.

After that, not very many new X-Men stuck. I think it's because they lost focus of making them from distinct parts of the world, or just ran out of places.

LuigiD
10-11-2010, 09:19 AM
You can play through it much quicker than that. I'm not sure how long it takes, but it flies by. Maybe because it's just a boatload of fun, but I'd say the whole thing takes well under an hour. More like 30 minutes.

My friend has a MAME cabinet so I've played through just about every old beat em up in the past year or so. They're all great, but they're not as long as they seemed as a kid.
I think it is that way because when you are a kid you tend to have limited money and you want to beat the game to have bragging rights. That's how it felt like for me at least.

The Genius
10-11-2010, 09:51 PM
dazzler whoooo!

Kalyx triaD
10-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Jubilee > Dazzler, imo.

Wonder if Pryde of the X-Men will get a re-release because of this.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 03:50 AM
What, the 1 episode? It'd be nice if they picked that era to focus on for cartoons, but it's unlikely.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 03:52 AM
It had higher quality for its time than you'd imagine.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:52 AM
That episode was just a pilot for the X-Men series that came later that year. They just decided to go with the updated Jim Lee art and a slightly different lineup.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm suprised they didn't just include it with the animated series dvds. It's not worth giving it's own release since it's just one short episode

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 03:53 AM
I know, I've seen that pilot. I'm surprised it never got picked up, considering it's the kind of source material one could use to make a show that inherently appeals to kids while maintaining a slightly mature undertone to lure in older comic readers.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:54 AM
I still joke about the theme song to that episode to this day with one of my friends. Ridiculous

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm suprised they didn't just include it with the animated series dvds. It's not worth giving it's own release since it's just one short episode

It was pretty different than the 90s cartoon. More canonical and better art overall.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:56 AM
I know, I've seen that pilot. I'm surprised it never got picked up, considering it's the kind of source material one could use to make a show that inherently appeals to kids while maintaining a slightly mature undertone to lure in older comic readers.

It did get picked up though. That pilot was from the same year the X Men series debuted right? They just made some changes to the art, but the series covered real issues from X Men. Most of the episodes were direct adaptations from comics really

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:57 AM
It was a couple years before actually. Hmm. I thought it aired right before the show did

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 03:59 AM
It was pretty different than the 90s cartoon. More canonical and better art overall.

The art in the 90s cartoon was definitely lazy in places. I thought the storylines were pretty good though. Way more faithful than you'd really expect for a cartoon.

Yea I was just checking it out on youtube. The art was definitely better than I though in the Pryde pilot. Sort of like G.I. Joe

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:00 AM
You sure they were the same productions? I remember the 90's series was a reboot because Pryde just didn't get picked up. Different cast, production team, and all that. I recall seeing it significantly earlier than the 90's toon, more than a year.

Edit:

You corrected yourself.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:06 AM
First time I saw it was my initial exposure to the X-Men (didn't see them guest star on Spidey's Amazing Friends). I immediately loved Wolverine at first. Never could find his Pryde action figure, well my mom claimed she looked everywhere anyway.

Now I can't walk into Walmart's toy section without seeing 6 different Wolverines.

Would love a DVD release of Pryde to coincide with this arcade game, surprised it wasn't announced already.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Yea it was 2 or 3 years later. I thought they were the same year forever and they just changed it around once it got picked up.

I remember when the toys came out in conjunction with Pryde, I think. I loved Nightcrawler and Wolverine above all else.

Then a couple years later the cartoon came along and changed everything. I think the Jim Lee re-design just defines X-Men for me. I was 5 or 6 years old when it happened, so for me that was THE X-Men.
I always grew up thinking the previous versions of Cyclops and Storm were so lame in comparison.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:10 AM
I still think it's extraordinarily lame that they didn't keep Nightcrawler and Colossus in the main lineup of the animated series though

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:10 AM
I dunno. The 90s cartoon is full of inaccuracies. To this day people are under the impression that Wolverine had a buddy named Morph (he did not), Jean Grey was a pussy (she was not, except early on), Wolverine and Gambit were the best of friends (they barely tolerated each other) and various other ricockulous errors.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:12 AM
http://www.mylatestdistraction.com/mylatestdistraction/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/X-Men_1.jpg

This is probably what is burnt into my mind as far as X-Men is concerned. All it needs is Nightcrawler and it would be perfect

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:14 AM
On the other hand, we got Jubilee (I still have a crush on Alyson(SP) "Claire Redfield" Court's voice) and some epic miniseries.

Jeritron
I dunno. The 90s cartoon is full of inaccuracies. To this day people are under the impression that Wolverine had a buddy named Morph (he did not), Jean Grey was a pussy (she was not, except early on), Wolverine and Gambit were the best of friends (they barely tolerated each other) and various other ricockulous errors.

I don't think any of those things. Morph was Wolverine's buddy for one episode.
Also, Wolverine and Gambit couldn't stand eachother in the cartoon.

I've been watching it recently actually, because I picked up the first 3 volumes on DVD.

I don't really hold it against the continuity though. Maybe because I've read most of the 80s and 90s X-Men comics too, but I never had any of those misconceptions from the show. I'm more than okay with changes and simplifications in a cartoon adaptation. It really is pretty close for a kid's cartoon.
I never viewed Jean Grey as a pussy at all either, because I was almost always familiar with Phoenix.

Fignuts
Wolverine is in the wrong costume.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Jim Lee did that peice pretty close to Clarmont's series. Think Wolverine had a solo game in that attire too. It was a prize on some Nick gameshow.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Gotta love that white eyes/constipated expression art of the 90s. Great when you're a kid, but as someone who's read the vast majority of the X-Men titles (including the semi-related titles like Deadpool and Excalibur) I can tell you now that 1994 - 2000 was a huge low point in the comics for the most part. Deadpool took off, X-Factor was mostly good and X-Force and Cable had their moments, but it was a huge letdown in general.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Yea they switched him back to his original colors almost immediately after that. I always wondered why Jim Lee didn't make the change right then when he had made all the other tweaks.

I've always loved both costumes

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:20 AM
I know people like it but Logan's brown garb is fucking ugly. He looks better in anything else, even the Xtreme X-Men gayness.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Gotta love that white eyes/constipated expression art of the 90s. Great when you're a kid, but as someone who's read the vast majority of the X-Men titles (including the semi-related titles like Deadpool and Excalibur) I can tell you now that 1994 - 2000 was a huge low point in the comics for the most part. Deadpool took off, X-Factor was mostly good and X-Force and Cable had their moments, but it was a huge letdown in general.

Jim Lee's imitators aren't as good as him. I lost interest in the X-Men huge in those years you pointed out, but I loved it in the early 90s.
I'm talking about 91-93 for the most part.
Feel like the big peak in popularity and overexposure probably is what derailed the X-Men ultimately, but it was amazing when it first happened.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Whoops wrong series (not Xtreme).

I fucking adored Astonishing X-Men.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
I don't think any of those things. Morph was Wolverine's buddy for one episode.
Also, Wolverine and Gambit couldn't stand eachother in the cartoon.

I've been watching it recently actually, because I picked up the first 3 volumes on DVD.

I don't really hold it against the continuity though. Maybe because I've read most of the 80s and 90s X-Men comics too, but I never had any of those misconceptions from the show. I'm more than okay with changes and simplifications in a cartoon adaptation. It really is pretty close for a kid's cartoon.
I never viewed Jean Grey as a pussy at all either, because I was almost always familiar with Phoenix.

Morph came back later in the show. Actually, he was so popular that he was made an actual character in the Age of Apocalypse in the comics. Then he went on to be one of the best parts of The Exiles. I actually like the 90s cartoon overall, as it had a pretty serious tone to it compared to similar shows of the time. The inaccuracies are baffling at certain points though. Wolverine running away from Proteus was always a big one. He doesn't run away from anyone. Period.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Brown Costume is the best costume. Blue and yellow always looked a bit silly to me.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:25 AM

I hate the 90's too, but X-men was fucking money. Fatal Attraction, X-Cutioners's song, Legion Quest, Age of Apocalypse, Phalynx Covenant, and the Deadpool and Generation X series in their entirety were all great

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Morph came back later in the show. Actually, he was so popular that he was made an actual character in the Age of Apocalypse in the comics. Then he went on to be one of the best parts of The Exiles. I actually like the 90s cartoon overall, as it had a pretty serious tone to it compared to similar shows of the time. The inaccuracies are baffling at certain points though. Wolverine running away from Proteus was always a big one. He doesn't run away from anyone. Period.

That is awful. They also underplayed the Professor X-Magneto relationship and past to a point where it almost defeats the entire purpose of Magneto

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Cyclops and Phoenix mini series was also all kinds of awesome.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:28 AM
I know people like it but Logan's brown garb is fucking ugly. He looks better in anything else, even the Xtreme X-Men gayness.
80s brown is a classic. Best point in X-Men history.
Jim Lee's imitators aren't as good as him. I lost interest in the X-Men huge in those years you pointed out, but I loved it in the early 90s.
I'm talking about 91-93 for the most part.
Feel like the big peak in popularity and overexposure probably is what derailed the X-Men ultimately, but it was amazing when it first happened.

What killed it was 90s writing. It's all about writing as big and badass a scenario as possible, in as douchey a writing style as possible, without thinking about longterm consequences. That kind of thinking guarantees hitting a wall eventually because you're so quick to blow your load. Plus all the bad guys just become mysterious, overpowered master manipulators with no real motivation for doing anything. See the first 50 or so issues of Witchblade for a classic example of this.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Morph annoyed the hell out of me in exiles. Hate characters like that. Him and plastic man can fuck right off.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Plus all the bad guys just become mysterious, overpowered master manipulators with no real motivation for doing anything. See the first 50 or so issues of Witchblade for a classic example of this.

Aizen

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Cyclops and Phoenix mini series was also all kinds of awesome.

Yeah, def. Made Cable bearable, as he was always this super tough, super smart badass with no real connection to anyone. Add Liefeld's typical super elaborate past history that doesn't really go anywhere and you get one of the worst characters ever until other people started filling in the gaps and humanizing him.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Logan belongs in yellow. Or at least a jacket over a flannel shirt.

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 04:36 AM
SO...

This new X-Men game coming... Any expectations for Destiny?

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:36 AM
Hate Cable because his character is so inconsistent. Every one who writes him, writes him completely differently it seems.

Also, Cable leaving the resistance in Civil War was so out of character. Very few people seem to know how to write the guy.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:37 AM
He should be written like Roland from the dark tower novels.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Morph annoyed the hell out of me in exiles. Hate characters like that. Him and plastic man can fuck right off.
It's not the goofiness. It's the lonely bastard beneath all the ricockulous behaviour that made him endearing. He pined so hard for so long for a lesbo that ended up dying right away. That kind of shit is what I'm talking about.
Aizen

Word.

But the big bad in Witcblade was this douche for the longest time.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNwWMGcVfaklaCZU42e5dzBMr8KD3CgdnDKYlslpI633nwtkY&t=1&usg=__hT3wQ5l_1RDgvweMPtDrHGR9S54=
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRydWcG9NUak-6bpDCgA5YsVbe6BpSjyyg5GUgM_u2VdEw9d9E&t=1&usg=__RLwicp_0LNBqW8ef20A1jfAidGA=
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYfaUyMie9hdI8FMY69BsY5-zbt-Vg37umNl_6YT00wSp62-s&t=1&usg=__KQKkUYUXhXsMT8D-chgUi864pUw=

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:42 AM
SO...

This new X-Men game coming... Any expectations for Destiny?
None. Maybe we'll get lucky.
Hate Cable because his character is so inconsistent. Every one who writes him, writes him completely differently it seems.

Also, Cable leaving the resistance in Civil War was so out of character. Very few people seem to know how to write the guy.
Yeah, lots of ridiculous changes over the years. Some of the runs were really good, though.
He should be written like Roland from the dark tower novels.

Buh?

Jeritron
I don't know a thing about Witchblade

Kalyx triaD
M. Turner was awesome.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:43 AM
I don't know a thing about Witchblade

I've read like 120 issues. It takes a long time before it gets good. Very shitty writing to start out.

Fignuts
All those characters are like that, tho. Plastic Man has a son he cares deeply for. But that doesn't maske up for the other 95% of the time, where they are making jokes that no one would ever in their right mind even chuckle at. Really shitty writing, because a lot of writers can't do comedy. Well 90's ones anyways. Was cringe worthy, every time someone tried to be funny in a 90's comic. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE

Jeritron
I probably won't ever read it

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:44 AM
I just started reading Cable and Deadpool

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
and New Avengers

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:46 AM
All those characters are like that, tho. Plastic Man has a son he cares deeply for. But that doesn't maske up for the other 95% of the time, where they are making jokes that no one would ever in their right mind even chuckle at. Really shitty writing, because a lot of writers can't do comedy. Well 90's ones anyways. Was cringe worthy, every time someone tried to be funny in a 90's comic. NO ONE TALKS LIKE THAT IN REAL LIFE
I hear you. Kinda why I love shit like Powers and Preacher. Unreal situations, but the dialog is pretty realistic.
I probably won't ever read it

Good. Not worth the amount of crap you have to wade through.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:48 AM
It's part of my attempt to get back into comics. I haven't read anything modern really (2000s), because I stopped while I was going through college and such.
I only ever read graphic novels here and there.
I'm getting back into it now that I have time and a renewed interest though. I am open to reccomendations

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:48 AM
None. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Yeah, lots of ridiculous changes over the years. Some of the runs were really good, though.

Buh?

Stephen King novel series. His magnum opas, so to speak. On the third book now, and it is awesome. Should check it out. Roland is this guy who is like a wild west gunslinger, but he doesn't come from the wild west. From this other world. Hes trained to be this warrior person, and at the start of the series he's the last one, and his world is post apocalyptic. It is way too surreal to try and explain, tbh.

Just know that Roland is like a combination of John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and the Saint of Killers. Mad badass, and definitely a formula for how cable should have been written.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:52 AM
I've been reading The Dark Tower novels. They are amazing. I can't wait to finish them all. I haven't read any of the comics. I figure maybe I'll do that when I'm finished with the actual novels.
Same with The Stand.

Stephen King's work is tremendously underrated. I feel like over time he's been labeled as a supermarket horror novel writer, in a way, but his novels are so much more than that.
Not only are the horrors incredibly complex and original, well written novels, but he's got so many other works that transcend the genre.
Something like The Dark Tower or The Stand is closer to being his own Lord of the Rings than anything.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 04:56 AM
It's part of my attempt to get back into comics. I haven't read anything modern really (2000s), because I stopped while I was going through college and such.
I only ever read graphic novels here and there.
I'm getting back into it now that I have time and a renewed interest though. I am open to reccomendations

If you got demonoid, get the Revised Chronological X-Men torrents. Lots of good stuff there. It goes up to like 2006.

Get all the big crossover torrents too. Civil War, World War Hulk, that stuff.

I recommend Powers, Top Ten, Kick Ass (books > movie), Hack/Slash, Preacher, Transmetropolitan and The Sword.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 04:56 AM
It is very hard to write a series like the Dark Tower, which skates the line between so many different genres, and still keep a coherent well structured story. Read this other series called the Dungeon that was similar, but stopped at the third book because it was just all over the place with no real pacing.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 04:59 AM
There are a lot of cool references to other King novels in The Dark Tower, too.

I really would like to read almost all of King's works eventually. Especially his stuff from the 70s and 80s.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 05:00 AM
I recently bought It, but havn't stated it yet.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 05:01 AM
If you got demonoid, get the Revised Chronological X-Men torrents. Lots of good stuff there. It goes up to like 2006.

Get all the big crossover torrents too. Civil War, World War Hulk, that stuff.

I recommend Powers, Top Ten, Kick Ass (books > movie), Hack/Slash, Preacher, Transmetropolitan and The Sword.

I'm going to give New Avengers a shot.

I feel like the lineup is made to be "epic", but the purist in me sort of disagrees with the idea of Spider-Man being on the team.
I could go on a whole explanation about why I feel this is "cheap", but I guess I'll just give it a chance and let the 10 year old in me rejoice in how awesome it is to have the lineup so stacked.

stultiloquy
10-12-2010, 05:05 AM
I think the Jim Lee re-design just defines X-Men for me. I was 5 or 6 years old when it happened, so for me that was THE X-Men.
I always grew up thinking the previous versions of Cyclops and Storm were so lame in comparison.

I'm the exact same way with regards to that. I mean, I started reading X-Men around 1986 when I was in 1st grade.
So while I had a lot of experience with the pre-Jim Lee X-Men, his style was such a drastic overhaul of their look and feel that it completely redefined who the X-Men were for me.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 05:10 AM
It took balls to take something that was already so successful and make aesthetic changes like that.
For the most part, I think they were improvements. I'm not saying anything about writing or the future titles, just the looks.
But again, that preference is rooted in my earliest impressions of the X-Men and probably generational.

Funky Fly
10-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Looks-wise, it was mostly an improvement.

stultiloquy
10-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Agreed.
Although I still really like how Marc Silvestri pencilled Uncanny X-Men during his run.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbYr2nefDp0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbYr2nefDp0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kalyx triaD
10-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I still remember when that shit aired fresh on TV.

Jeritron
10-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Me too. I remembered the bridge vividly. Pretty sure that was the first time I ever saw the X-Men anywhere, ever.
The rest is history!

LuigiD
10-12-2010, 09:55 AM
haha I still have that Cyclops. I am not even joking, the light still works.

Fignuts
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I had the entire set.

MoonlightDrifter
10-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Haha! Me too! Me and my buds used to play with them ALL THE TIME!

And OMFG, SOOOOO stoked for this! Can\'t believe it\'s real!!

Kane Knight
10-13-2010, 02:53 AM

Who cares, though? It was its own entity, and it was entertaining. The inconsistencies in the art were worse to me, because they would go from some pretty good art to some pretty bad art in a matter of seconds.

The same was true for the Spider-Man show. They got a ton of stuff "wrong," and a lot of it really didn't matter.

Funky Fly
10-13-2010, 03:38 AM
I know, but any time I am having a nerd convo about x-men with someone who isn't too familiar with the actual comics, I always end up coming off like a huge douche because I have to explain all the shit that was wrong with the cartoon and then all these key arcs in the story. Personal grudge, I guess.

Jeritron
10-13-2010, 04:48 AM
But in fairness, it's a contained take on the X-Men. It's not like comic books themselves don't change things around and change from writer to writer over the years as well.
I know what you mean, but I always sort of appreciated the X-Men and Spidey cartoons as a seperate thing from the comics, the same way I do with the films.
That goes for any comic adaptation really. Sometimes I even welcome those changes.

Wolvey and Gambit definitely weren't friends in the cartoon though. I agree that the Morph thing is lame, I guess. I sort of just expect them to make Wolverine a better friend to his teamates in the cartoon, since ultimately it is primarily geared to kids.
They definitely did a better job of keeping Wolverine a loner with a chip on his shoulder than they did in his own live action film.
God that was horrible. I watched a bit of it again last night on HBO, and it's still as awful as I thought.

Jeritron
10-13-2010, 04:50 AM
He was basically perfect in the Singer films, but it's painful to watch how much of a good guy they make him into by the solo outing.

Funky Fly
10-13-2010, 06:14 AM
That's the thing. The comics do a great job of promoting how much of a good guy hero he actually is, while he's busy killifying everything in sight, to the horror of his teammates.

Kane Knight
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Or you could not be such a Sascha about things.

Funky Fly
10-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I am about to unleash nerd rage all over your face. :mad:

And there is plenty of homo in that sentence

Fignuts
10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Hey, it's better than being a Kane Knight about things.

Funky Fly
12-17-2010, 05:24 PM
This game is out. Why have none of you picked it up yet? :mad:

G
12-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I've beat it 4 times already?

Kalyx triaD
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Still pretty fun time waster. They should do a 'new classic' sequel.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
This game is out. Why have none of you picked it up yet? :mad:

I have it arcade perfect in MAME?

Kalyx triaD
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I will play with you this weekend. We'll spam the special moves together.

The Genius
12-18-2010, 04:24 AM
i downloaded it and love it so far. still gotta try out the japanese version though.

Funky Fly
12-18-2010, 06:47 AM
I've beat it 4 times already?
No one gives a fuck about PS3. :foc:
I have it arcade perfect in MAME?
Get it so you can play with us, you shit.
I will play with you this weekend. We'll spam the special moves together.
Gonna be tricky, as I work late. We will do it up if you are up after midnight mountain time.
i downloaded it and love it so far. still gotta try out the japanese version though.

That version is better, but those god damn energy pills never show up.

Kalyx triaD
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
I don't sleep. Usually.

Optimus Bone 69
12-18-2010, 07:41 AM
love it
just need the simpsons one now, come to think of it wasnt there a Spiderman one too?

Kalyx triaD
12-18-2010, 07:48 AM
You might be thinking Avengers.

G
12-18-2010, 08:31 AM
That version is better, but those god damn energy pills never show up.

Were you playing in co op? They don't show up in single player.

Optimus Bone 69
12-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Nope wasn't the avengers
I remember always getting killed by venom

Fignuts
12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Maximum Carnage?

Fignuts
12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
or do you mean this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_The_Video_Game

Kalyx triaD
12-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I promise he's talking about Avengers. It had Spider-Man and Venom was the first stage boss.

Optimus Bone 69
12-18-2010, 11:07 AM
It was spiderman the video game with hawkeye and submariner

Kalyx triaD
12-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Thought it was called Avengers...

Perhaps I'm thinking of another beat em up with that name.

Optimus Bone 69
12-18-2010, 11:29 AM
probably captain america and the avengers

Fignuts
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah, they both had hawkeye. Maybe that's where you are confused.

The Genius
12-28-2010, 01:28 PM
japanese version definitely beats the US version. it actually has an ending and it has energy and mutant power ups.

Fignuts
12-28-2010, 04:45 PM
omg I remember a friend and I beat it at the arcade, and we were so pissed at the lack of an ending.