PDA

View Full Version : Should WWE created a new "masked" wrestler?

The Naitch
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Inno knows. His Super Bieber post reminded me of The Patriot. And Blue Blazer.

Should they create a new masked character? Not on the lines of Mr. America and CM Punk. But you know, have him be a mystery WWE superstar this time doaning a mask. Could they pull it off without us saying "Oh it's Chris Jericho, they have the same physique.

Who on the roster can they do this with. Remind you, I had no idea that Luke Gallows used to be that Cletus guy. I didn't know that Zack Ryder used to be one of the Edgeheads.

Juan
10-15-2010, 06:20 PM
There's a couple of masked guys in FCW

Juan
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/epico.jpg

http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/hunico.jpg

Jura
10-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Have Batista come back with a mask and deny that he is really Batista for a while.

Droford
10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
NXT Season 4: WWE's next great masked superstar

SlickyTrickyDamon
10-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Hunico in the WWE Developmental name Generator is now Double Fury. Epico is now Jack Punishment.

They are also now both de-masked and are Alberto Del Rios personal time keeper and color commentators.

What Would Kevin Do?
10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Screw masks, we need more people with face paint.

I say we go for an evil wrestling mime.

steveweiser
10-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I'd love to see a guy like Charlie Manson in the WWE or the stable he was in, think it was the family. I'd love to see them

BizarroKing
10-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Screw masks, we need more people with face paint.

I say we go for an evil wrestling mime.

Zoink the Mime, second generation superstar, son of Doink: BOOK IT WWE!

Furious Beardsley
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Hunico in the WWE Developmental name Generator is now Double Fury. Epico is now Jack Punishment.

They are also now both de-masked and are Alberto Del Rios personal time keeper and color commentators.

I didn't know that...I was acutally just going to say that it doesn't matter if they sign a masked superstar or not because all they will do is remove the mask once they get to the main roster.

DLVH84
10-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Yes. There should be more wrestlers wearing masks and/or facepaint.

BizarroKing
10-15-2010, 08:07 PM

Wait is that actually true?

MoFo
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
No.

The Naitch
10-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Epico looks identical to Rey. Did he do that on purpose?

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 09:24 PM
I saw a Alberto Del Rio interview on Youtube (in Spanish), and he mentioned that the reason he took of his mask was because in the United States, the fans don't like for their wrestlers to use masks, so the company and him both agreed that it was right to unmask, so he could have a better chance of "connecting" with the fans and so he could "get over" better.

True or not, I don't know. That's just the reason Del Rio and the WWE used. So if that's really how WWE views the matter, then we probably aren't going to see another masked wrestler for a while.

Droford
10-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Kaval should wear a mask

Triple Naitch
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Pretty much what Del Rio said. With the exception of Rey Mysterio, masked wrestlers do not get over in American wrestling. They are seen as foreign and unable to be related with.

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Kaval should wear a mask

Kaval should wear a mask only in a storyline where WWE makes it that there is "another Rey Mysterio", a "Heel Rey", and it all comes to a head in a "Rey vs Rey" match. Idk...it'd be different.

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Pretty much what Del Rio said. With the exception of Rey Mysterio, masked wrestlers do not get over in American wrestling. They are seen as foreign and unable to be related with.

Del Rio is getting alot of heat in Mexico because of this (and not the "Heel Heat" kind). Alot of Mexican fans, and even his fellow masked Mexican wrestlers, view him as a traitor and a sell-out who is embarrassed of his Mexican career. In the couple of interviews I saw (they took place last week when WWE was in Mexico), Del Rio was telling his reasons, but they were having none of it.

In Mexico, when u are a masked wrestler, u are a masked wrestler 24/7. U wear your mask at all times. Even those masked wrestlers that have regular jobs during the day, have to wear their masks to work. It's very serious down there.

CSL
10-15-2010, 09:35 PM

I dunno, I think that's just the 'WWE view' more than anything. They could get anything over with decent enough booking/the right guy/both.

Droford
10-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Del Rio is getting alot of heat in Mexico because of this (and not the "Heel Heat" kind). Alot of Mexican fans, and even his fellow masked Mexican wrestlers, view him as a traitor and a sell-out who is embarrassed of his Mexican career. In the couple of interviews I saw (they took place last week when WWE was in Mexico), Del Rio was telling his reasons, but they were having none of it.

In Mexico, when u are a masked wrestler, u are a masked wrestler 24/7. U wear your mask at all times. Even those masked wrestlers that have regular jobs during the day, have to wear their masks to work. It's very serious down there.

Is Rey still popular in mexico or did they forget about that whole "Filthy Animals" thing back in WCW?

CSL
10-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Even those masked wrestlers that have regular jobs during the day, have to wear their masks to work.

lol no

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Is Rey still popular in mexico or did they forget about that whole "Filthy Animals" thing back in WCW?

They don't look at Rey Mysterio the same as Alberto Del Rio, as Rey was born in California, and only wrestled in Mexico like 4 years or something, before going to ECW and WCW. He's not viewed as "one of their own", like Alberto Del Rio is. He was born in Mexico, had a lengthy career in Mexico, and his father is a masked legend in Mexico. When Alberto Del Rio, during promos with Rey, says they are not viewed the same in Mexico, it's actually true, it's just he uses it in his promos.

The Naitch
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
great, I gotta switch back to the red color scheme so I can read CSL's posts. I can't miss out on CSL's posts. I need my daily dose

The Naitch
10-15-2010, 10:03 PM

lol MAD SERIOUS BRO

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 10:05 PM
lol MAD SERIOUS BRO

Yeah. I remember seeing a news feature on a Spanish Channel (Univision) a couple years back about some masked wrestlers that did. One was a teacher, another was running for office. Maybe they don't all do, but some do.

CSL
10-15-2010, 10:07 PM
great, I gotta switch back to the red color scheme so I can read CSL's posts. I can't miss out on CSL's posts. I need my daily dose

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me :'(

DLVH84
10-15-2010, 10:08 PM

That's bullshit. Before Rey Mysterio, Mil Mascaras and Tiger Mask were over in America.

Aguakate
10-15-2010, 10:09 PM
That's bullshit. Before Rey Mysterio, Mil Mascaras and Tiger Mask were over in America.

Not in the same way.

But then again, wrestling today isn't like it was back then, either.

Emperor Smeat
10-15-2010, 10:25 PM
With the exception of Kane when he was masked and Rey Mysterio, I think the WWE views masked wrestlers the same way they view cruiserwieght wrestlers as something negative and not worth pushing or focusing for the long term.

Most of the time WWE views the mask as a temporary thing like having a mysterious masked wrestler attack someone and then later reveal who they are or as something they didn't create and own (ex. Ultimo Dragon being popular with the mask but never did much in WWE).

The Naitch
10-15-2010, 10:40 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJqmVhl7Rmc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lJqmVhl7Rmc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

whiteyford
10-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Suprised they havent yet, simply from a marketing perspective, theres always talk that Reys knees are fucked and he doesnt have much longer in the ring, and he shills alot a merchandise with his mask on it. And like CSL said,decent booking could get them over, if Reys still got a few years left then theres plenty of time to establish another masked wrestler.

Triple Naitch
10-16-2010, 10:22 AM

On television? With t-shirts and action figures? I think not. That is what measures success in the WWE and American Wrestling today.

XL
10-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Y'know - if that were true - it wouldn't even make sense. They wear a mask, you don't know what they look like, so why would they need to wear it 24/7? Surely they could go about their daily routine more easily that a non-masked wrestler.

The Pope
10-16-2010, 12:32 PM
:lol:
False

itsmeJD
10-16-2010, 12:52 PM

This makes 0 sense. A) I would assume their drivers license photo is of them masked? and B) Committing crimes would be pretty damn easy to get out of in a court of law....then again, in Mexico there really isn't much of a justice system anymore so that's a moot point.

The Pope
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Contradiction

XL
10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Anyways, I never actually addressed the topic at hand.

I would like to see a new masked wrestler but in the Kane ilk not the Rey variety, I remember liking the look of Rellik (that's killer backw--yeah you get it by now) when he was in TNA.

Mr. C
10-16-2010, 07:40 PM
They should have a Buried Alive Match at Bragging Rights between Kane and The Undertaker, leading to Kane’s apparent death.

After WrestleMania 27, promos play on the screen haunting Undertaker about the return of Kane, with his mask shown on display, and they do a buildup where he returns with the mask.

Mr. Nerfect
10-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I would like to see Los Aviadores called up to the SmackDown! roster as a babyface tag team. I think they could get over as masked guys. I wouldn't mind seeing them in a bit of a program with Alberto Del Rio. They could be put over as "Rey's friends." Eventually you unmask Epico to be Tito Colon when a heel General Manager forces them to compete in a Mask vs. Mask Match.

Also, I want to see the Swagger Soaring Eagle in the ring.

Testicle
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I could see Alberto wearing the Dos Caras mask at some point in his career.

Once Rey retires, and they need someone fill the void in mask sales, they will probably turn Del Rio face to do so.

parkmania
10-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Bring in a character like Avatar was back in the day. The character portrayed by Al Snow walked down to the ring without the mask and put it on just before competing. It could be played off kind of like Festus's thing with the bell, or it could be explained that the mask granted "supernatural powers".

Mondo
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Also, I want to see the Swagger Soaring Eagle in the ring.

Isn't it Chavo? When the mask popped off slightly on Smackdown a couple of weeks back it looked like Chavo under there

Jordan
10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
This could be a great idea...

It's ballsy but lets go...

So on Raw or Smackdown a new masked superstar debuts, we're not sure of his nationality but he wrestles kind of like a luchadore, and does some moved that we are not familiar with. The new superstar rakes in victories week after week and steals the show everytime. Eventually a big surprise is revealed when the silent superstar debuts his new manager former TNA Superstar Kevin Nash. Nash tell the world that this man has one goal and that is to wipe the Undertaker's streak clean. The feud build and builds... WWE and Nash push this unknown indy superstar to the moon... Wrestlemania comes around and either during the match or before the PPV the mask is ripped off to reveal Shawn Michaels.

Innovator
10-18-2010, 03:56 PM
EL POLLO LOCO

JimmyMess
10-18-2010, 04:50 PM
They should only do it if it can be done legitimately. What I mean to say is not a masked character to spoof another, or a comical relief one. But another masked character that is either completely dominant (IE, masked Kane). Or a lucha libre-styled wrestler.

The problem is, Vince is too Americana to want to do anything that would diminish the USA feel to it. He loves that American hero-stuff. So would it be cool? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not

Innovator
10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd mark for Matt Classic

The Pope
10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Charlie Haas

Tom Guycott
10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Bring in a character like Avatar was back in the day. The character portrayed by Al Snow walked down to the ring without the mask and put it on just before competing. It could be played off kind of like Festus's thing with the bell, or it could be explained that the mask granted "supernatural powers".

Charlie Haas

... and that happened all of like 30 seconds, then he was dropped from TV when it seemed like it was at the beginning stage of being "so hokey it gets over", then he got demoted back to generic heel & thrown into that tag team with Knox for one televised match (in spite of doing a bunch of house shows as a team... with a team name, no less) before being "future endeavored".

Johnny McNasty
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
They need to bring in Mistico, he would be a perfect replacement for Mysterio.

DLVH84
10-19-2010, 07:58 PM
La Parka

Triple Naitch
10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd mark for Matt Classic

El Hijo de Matt Classic

Mr. Nerfect
10-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Isn't it Chavo? When the mask popped off slightly on Smackdown a couple of weeks back it looked like Chavo under there

It could be Chavo. It seems like the kind of thing they'd get him to do. Jack Swagger & The Swagger Soaring Eagle as WWE Tag Team Champs is something I'd love to see.

Mondo
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
It could be Chavo. It seems like the kind of thing they'd get him to do. Jack Swagger & The Swagger Soaring Eagle as WWE Tag Team Champs is something I'd love to see.

http://www.tpww.net/2010/10/the-identity-of-swaggers-mascot-revealed-sht-talkers/

Hadn't thought about them taking that pair towards the tag titles but it could be interesting