PDA

View Full Version : Child's Play Remake: The Thread

My Final Heaven
10-17-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure how many people are in the know, but Child's Play is in the process of being remade right now.

Not sure how I feel about this, as the original is in my Top 3 favorite movies. Anybody who thinks of Chucky as Standup Comedian Freddy Krueger Lite like they made him out to be in the recent movies owes it to themselves to watch the '88 original. If any film ever deserved the old cliche of "A Rollercoaster Ride", this one does. The 1st time I watched it 18 years ago, I was literally out of breath at the end & didn't sleep for a day, it took so much out of me. Even watching it today, probably a hundred viewings later, there's certain scenes that can flip that long-buried switch in me if the mood's right (GIVE ME THE BOY AND I'LL LET YOU LIVE!) It's also the only movie I've bought 4 times (VHS, original DVD, 20th anniversary DVD, and a couple weeks ago, Bluray) There's a reason Brad Dourif's played Chucky 5 times (soon to be six), the guy's made the killer doll so much his own that the thought of anybody else playing the character is ludicrous.

Couple of things that've been picked up on the radar about the sequel -

Like I sadi up there, Brad Dourif's back as Chucky. Couldn't be happier about that, there's not many things that could make me leave the theater. One of them is seeing something like "Nick Nolte as Charles Lee Ray" in the opening credits.

One thing from the 20th birthday DVD that kind of makes me wary, there's several Easter Eggs of a horrible-looking CGI Chucky cracking puns. If that's a suggestion they're going the CGI route in the Remake, it won't kill the entire experience for me but it will make it considerably less enjoyable / more gay. Chucky's a puppet, not fucking Gollum.

Yeah, I started the thread. Get to the discussing & such.

Schlomey
10-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Will have to wait and see for myself on this one. I hate that Hollywood is this lazy but at the same time it may bring a new generation into what we already love. Verdict is out on this one in my eyes until we at least have a trailer.

Thanks for the info

Fignuts
10-18-2010, 01:54 AM
He's a fucking doll.

Rammsteinmad
10-18-2010, 05:11 AM
Surely Hollywood must be running out of horror films to remake?

Pretty soon they'll be making remakes of remakes.

thedamndest
10-18-2010, 12:44 PM
This is a true remake and not a sequel? Why are they using the same actor for Chucky? Seems like they should get a new guy or just make it a sequel or else why would I not just watch the original?

Xero
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
FOR FUCK SAKES STOP WITH THE FUCKING REMAKES!

AND THEY'RE GOING CGI!? THIS DOESN'T NEED TO BE CGI! PART OF THE CHARM WAS THAT IT WAS A FUCKING DOLL! OH MY FUCKING GOD!

D Mac
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
WHAT THE FUCK?!

Thank you for ruining Chucky's return.

Or however that goes.

Damian Rey
10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Meh. I'll wait till it actually comes out, but from what I've read, not one recent horror remake has been any good.

And if it's a CGI Chucky, it's going to suck.

Verbose Minch
10-18-2010, 04:19 PM
It's going to suck anyways, it's fucking Chucky.

Eklipse
10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Surely Hollywood must be running out of horror films to remake?

Pretty soon they'll be making remakes of remakes.

Night of the Living Dead has been remade twice allready.

Chucky scared me when I was little because my cousin had one of those 'my buddy' dolls.

As long as Michael Bay stays away it might be okay.

While on the subject of 80's remakes, I read somewhere that they are working on a Robocop remake as well.

Xero
10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
It's not that hard to steal the basic premise of a movie but adapt it so it seems different enough to stand on its own.

Child's Play: Doll possessed by a criminal goes on a rampage.
New Movie: Final Judgment - Action figure possessed by corrupt judge goes on a rampage.

Razzamajazz
10-18-2010, 07:02 PM
i had a response to this but the INTERNAL SERVER ERROR erased it. so fuck trying to retype it

Droford
10-18-2010, 08:39 PM
The best part will probably be that Chucky is CGI and not a real doll.

Fuck that

Jeritron
10-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Could really care less what the storyline is or if it's a remake, reboot, sequel or whatever.
The series went downhill pretty quickly after the first.
If I'm going to see this it will almost be solely for the voicework of Brad Dourif and Chucky's antics. Sounds like that will be there. That's why I think getting Brad Dourif regardless of the approach is a good idea.
I won't want to see it if the doll is CGI either.

That's really all I expect from a Child's Play movie: Brad Dourif comedically voicing a puppet. A competent story is a plus.

Fignuts
10-19-2010, 01:06 AM
You know how this would play out in real life?

Fignuts picks up chucky. Fignuts throws chucky into a wood chipper.

The End.

Jeritron
10-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Not really because everyone who Chucky kills he does so using the element of suprise. It's not like there's really a fight. He fucks around with people and then pops out on them. They aren't really expecting a doll to be alive.

If a doll walked in the room right now and challenged me to a fight it would obviously be a joke, but if I heard a noise in the closet and opened it and it popped out and stabbed me, I don't think I'd be prepared for that.

The only person who does know he's alive is a stupid kid. So it works in that respect. At least in the first movie.

RP
10-19-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not going to let this happen. Not because i think the sanctity of the original needs to be protected, but because i don't think i can exist in a world where a Child's Play remake exists. These movies are so incredibly horrible. I would rather see Leprechaun get remade.

I dont know what i'm going to do, but i will stop this.

Wolfpack423
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure how many people are in the know, but Child's Play is in the process of being remade right now.

Not sure how I feel about this, as the original is in my Top 3 favorite movies. Anybody who thinks of Chucky as Standup Comedian Freddy Krueger Lite like they made him out to be in the recent movies owes it to themselves to watch the '88 original. If any film ever deserved the old cliche of "A Rollercoaster Ride", this one does. The 1st time I watched it 18 years ago, I was literally out of breath at the end & didn't sleep for a day, it took so much out of me. Even watching it today, probably a hundred viewings later, there's certain scenes that can flip that long-buried switch in me if the mood's right (GIVE ME THE BOY AND I'LL LET YOU LIVE!) It's also the only movie I've bought 4 times (VHS, original DVD, 20th anniversary DVD, and a couple weeks ago, Bluray) There's a reason Brad Dourif's played Chucky 5 times (soon to be six), the guy's made the killer doll so much his own that the thought of anybody else playing the character is ludicrous.

Couple of things that've been picked up on the radar about the sequel -

Like I sadi up there, Brad Dourif's back as Chucky. Couldn't be happier about that, there's not many things that could make me leave the theater. One of them is seeing something like "Nick Nolte as Charles Lee Ray" in the opening credits.

One thing from the 20th birthday DVD that kind of makes me wary, there's several Easter Eggs of a horrible-looking CGI Chucky cracking puns. If that's a suggestion they're going the CGI route in the Remake, it won't kill the entire experience for me but it will make it considerably less enjoyable / more gay. Chucky's a puppet, not fucking Gollum.

Yeah, I started the thread. Get to the discussing & such.

The first Child's Play is great, but my personal favorite is Child's Play 2 with the toy factory. Chucky is one of my favorite villains. A remake sounds interesting, but if anybody else other than Brad Dourif is doing the voice over work than it won't be as good.

P.S. just saw what you said about Brad doing the voice work, I may have to check this out. I hope they don't completely modernize the doll and really try to stick with the original design.

My Final Heaven
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
The first Child's Play is great, but my personal favorite is Child's Play 2 with the toy factory. Chucky is one of my favorite villains. A remake sounds interesting, but if anybody else other than Brad Dourif is doing the voice over work than it won't be as good.

P.S. just saw what you said about Brad doing the voice work, I may have to check this out. I hope they don't completely modernize the doll and really try to stick with the original design.

I liked the second one, but they were already starting the transition from Horror to Pop Culture Comedy by then. The only parts that were memorable to me were Chuck's rant at the end on being stuck in the doll, and ¨How's it hanging, Phil?¨ :lol: