PDA

View Full Version : Geoge A. Romero's Survival of the Dead

Eklipse
10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh Romero, how I miss the days where you didn't rush into one movie after rushing into another.

Night of the Living Dead...possibly one of the most important horror films of all time. Often times overlooked in favor of its successor, Dawn of the Dead.

Yes, Dawn of the Dead. The movie that really showed what Romero was truly capable of in terms of shock and story. Although the special effects are outdated, it is easily the best (and most popular) 'zombie' film of all time.

Day of the Dead...my favorite (yet most panned by critics) of the original trilogy. The dialogue and story were greatly overlooked by people in favor of Return of the Living Dead, the first of the "zomedy" genre. Special effects are top-notch and I still occasionally scream "Choke on 'em!!!" for no apparant reason.

Land of the Dead...okay movie. Good acting from Simon Baker...but missed that "Pittsburgh Feel" that you experience with Romero.

Diary of the Dead...Forgettable, yet forgivable. The low budget, bad acting, and shooting style were all issues. It is, however, a good movie in that it offers a different perspective in the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

Survival of the Dead...I was extremely disappointed in this film. Had a "Romeo & Juliet" or "West Side Story" feel throughout the entire movie. . Acting was sub-par. Effects were too reliant on CG. *Where is Tom Savini?* The end was non climactic. Definetley the worst movie Romero has produced.

All in all, it has limited appeal, even to die-hard Romero fans. I will not be watching this one again.

Sixx
10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Night of the Living Dead...possibly one of the most important horror films of all time. Often times overlooked in favor of its predecessor, Dawn of the Dead.

What?

Dawn of the Dead was released 10 years after Night of the Living Dead.

Eklipse
10-21-2010, 05:44 PM
What?

Dawn of the Dead was released 10 years after Night of the Living Dead.

Whoops!! Brain fart!!

Eklipse
10-21-2010, 05:46 PM
Fixed. Thanks for catching that...and not making me feel like a complete ass. lol.

Sixx
10-21-2010, 05:47 PM
Also, Survival of the Dead doesn't seem to be worth watching.

I base that on the plot, reviews and opinions.

Especially the plot.

The last Romero movie I saw was Land of the Dead and it was decent.

Eklipse
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Also, Survival of the Dead doesn't seem to be worth watching.

I base that on the plot, reviews and opinions.

Especially the plot.

The last Romero movie I saw was Land of the Dead and it was decent.

I almost bought it, but decided not to. Watched it on Netflix instant streaming, dso I'm not out any money...just time.

Sixx
10-21-2010, 05:53 PM
That "Diary of the Dead" thing sounds kinda cool I guess. I might download a torrent and check it out.

Hope this doesn't turn out like the few movies I've downloaded recently (i.e. new Resident Evil) which I turned off after 20-40 mins.

Eklipse
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
That "Diary of the Dead" thing sounds kinda cool I guess. I might download a torrent and check it out.

Hope this doesn't turn out like the few movies I've downloaded recently (i.e. new Resident Evil) which I turned off after 20-40 mins.

If you can look past the low-budget and the Blair Witch feel, you'll like it.

Rammsteinmad
10-22-2010, 02:29 AM
I'll still get it one day to add to my collection. Big fan of all Remero's zombie films, including Land and Diary. Gotta be honest though, he seems to be zooming through all these 'of the Dead' films like the Saw fllms, and I guess you can only make so many movies based on one subject until people get bored with it.

Fignuts
10-22-2010, 03:15 AM
I am still amazed at how well Night of the Living stands up today. To this day, it is better than most horror film that have come out since.

And I am not one to put an older movie above a newer one, just because it's a "classic".

Rammsteinmad
10-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Personally I never liked NOTLD. The first time I saw it was 2002 or something, and I was maybe 15, and I guess it was dated for me. Dawn and Day are awesome, and the remake of Dawn is one of my favourite movies (although not a GR film).

Fignuts
10-22-2010, 03:41 AM
I dunno, just the way it is shot, and the tension, does much more for me than the gore and effects of the sequels.

Jeritron
10-22-2010, 05:32 AM
It's a fantastic horror movie. Suspense and true horror is what makes a horror movie good, and it doesn't matter when it comes from.
I actually think a lot of older horror movies are way better because they focus on suspense and characters rather than resorting to gore and action.
I'm not sure if that's because of the change in the audience, or less limitations.

Confused
10-22-2010, 11:04 AM
It's a fantastic horror movie. Suspense and true horror is what makes a horror movie good, and it doesn't matter when it comes from.
I actually think a lot of older horror movies are way better because they focus on suspense and characters rather than resorting to gore and action.
I'm not sure if that's because of the change in the audience, or less limitations.

Sometimes what you imagine is happening / about to happen is a lot worse than what they could ever put up on screen.

Look at John Carpenter's The Thing. It has the gore and horror, but the majority of the best scenes are those where we are waiting for something to happen. That blood test scene still gets me every single time and I've watched that movie at least twenty times.

Land Of The Dead was decent but not a patch on the first films.

Jeritron
10-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Sometimes what you imagine is happening / about to happen is a lot worse than what they could ever put up on screen.

Look at John Carpenter's The Thing. It has the gore and horror, but the majority of the best scenes are those where we are waiting for something to happen. That blood test scene still gets me every single time and I've watched that movie at least twenty times.

Land Of The Dead was decent but not a patch on the first films.

The Thing was considered ridiculously gory when it came out, too. I think that puts in perspective how gore in horror movies has grown out of control.

John Carpenter's The Thing is a top 5 horror film in my eyes. I highly recommend the Howard Hawks original too

Fignuts
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, the Thing is amazing.