PDA

View Full Version : NHL Top Players By Position

El Fangel
10-22-2010, 06:57 AM
I just finished THN's Top 20 of Each Position of All Time, very good read.
It sparked the thought process and here I am asking all of the NHL fans of TPWW

How would you rank the (for simplicity's sake) Top 5 of Each Position?

Center
1) Wayne Gretzky
2) Mario Lemieux
3) Jean Believeau
4) Howie Morenz
5) Joe Sakic

Left Wing
1) Bobby Hull
2) Luc Robataille
3) Frank Mahovlich
4) Johnny Bucyk
5) Alex Ovechkin

Right Wing
1) Maurice Richard
2) Gordie Howe
3) Guy Lefleur
4) Mike Bossy
5) Jaromir Jagr

Defense
1) Bobby Orr
2) Ray Bourque
3) Niklas Lidstrom
4) Doug Harvey
5) Scott Niedermayer

Goaltender
1) Terry Sawchuk
2) Dominik Hasek
3) Patrick Roy
4) Martin Brodeur
5) Ken Dryden

JimmyMess
10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Center:

1. Gretzky
2. Lemieux
3. Joe Sakic
4. Jean Beliveau
5. Howie Morenz

Left Wing
1) Bobby Hull
2) Alex Ovechkin
3) Luc Robitaille
4) Frank Mahovlich
5) Johnny Bucyk

Right Wing
1) Maurice Richard
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Guy Lafleur
4) Mike Bossy
5) Gordie Howe

Defense
1) Bobby Orr
2) Ray Bourque
3) Niklas Lidstrom
4) Doug Harvey
5) Scott Niedermayer

Goaltender
1) Martin Brodeur
2) Patrick Roy
3) Terry Sawchuck
4) Dominik Hasek
5) Ken Dryden

El Fangel
10-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Might I ask why Howe is that low? Pretty surprised by that placement.

CSL
10-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Don't really get young people having guys as old as Terry Sawchuck, Howie Morenz etc so high up the list. I mean, I know what they accomplished/have both seasons of Legends of Hockey (:heart:) and have seen the Sawchuck/Morenz etc stories numerous times/read about them etc but I could never put Sawchuk for example on a list above Roy, Brodeur, Hasek etc simply because I never saw a single game he played in/never had any kind of real exposure to him and have never gone and watched more than a few snippets of them. I'd say the only real exception would be Rocket maybe because he's like top 3/5 of all time and it isn't hard to find footage of him and Gordie Howe because he retired at like 84. Dunno.

CSL
10-22-2010, 10:42 PM
This doesn't really go for guys like LaFleur, Bossy, Orr, Harvey, Hull etc, that generation or 2 before who are widely available to see. I mean guys that were playing in the 30's/40's and such. Could have explained it a bit better but I'm 'in a hurry'.

El Fangel
10-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Besides the obvious footage or lack of rather. You have people with first hand accounts, watching games years ago, read articles written by people who have seen it and accept their opinion as pretty learnef.

For example, if Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux were to say Johnny Puckstopper was one of the best goalies to ever lace them up, you would hold their opinion pretty high.

Its not all about points either, though that does help.

I agree having older players I never watched play on my list as possibly questionable. However a lot of these players you hear about their exploits over and over and that is testament to their greatss.

Kapoutman
10-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Living in Quebec, I've seen so much footage of Richard. Full games, best of, etc. But I will agree that for players that came before that, like Howie Morenz, Newsy Lalonde, etc... never seen anything, even though Lalonde is supposed to be the best player to come out of his period.

El Fangel
10-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Malone as well, 44 goals in 20 games. 2.2gpg never will see that again.

Perhaps, we should start this over as greatest players of post expansion era.

Lara Emily
10-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Ovechkin has not earned the right to be a top 5 left winger of all time yet.

JimmyMess
10-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Might I ask why Howe is that low? Pretty surprised by that placement.

I place Gordie Howe at #5 because that was the list you put out. And here is how I defend it:

1.) Maurice Richard
- The Rocket defined what a goal scorer was in the 1940's-1950's
- They named an NHL award after him

2.) Jaromir Jagr
- Holds 11 NHL records (17 seaons)
- Mario Lemieux said he was "the most talented player I have ever played with"

3.) Guy Lafleur
- Canadiens' all time leading scorer
- Second highest goal total in Canadiens' history behind Rocket Richard

4) Mike Bossy
- Scored 50 or more goals for the first 9 seasons of his NHL career
- Most consecutive 50 goal seasons

5.) Gordie Howe
- 3rd all time in NHL point scoring
- Holds 10 NHL records (26 seasons)

These were the five players you listed. I defend my placing. I believe these five players were the absolute best of all time, and in terms of their value this is my top 5.

El Fangel
10-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Oh, perhaps you confused the first post.

That was my ranking, you can put whoever you want on yours.

And Lara, I am hard put to find someone who has been better, a few years and he will bump Lucky Luc.

JimmyMess
10-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh, perhaps you confused the first post.

That was my ranking, you can put whoever you want on yours.

And Lara, I am hard put to find someone who has been better, a few years and he will bump Lucky Luc.

OHHHH. lol haha. Then yes my list would have been different prob! I just used the guys you had hahaah

Hanso Amore
10-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Ovechkin has dominated the sport for 5 years. Even if he stops playing today he will be an all time great. being an all time great isnt about career stats, it is about being the best player.

Im with CSL on the different eras thing. I dunno, I just dont take the oldies as serious as the new guys.

Like if you asked me Right now if I could have ANY goalie at any stage of their career to form a team around, I would say Hasek hands down.

Sawchuk would be like 50th on my list. I would take a guy like Ed belfour over him. I just think the players are bigger and better as time goes by.

Skippord
10-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Joe Sakic is the best at every position

El Fangel
10-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Sawchuk was the best of his era and revolutionzed goaltending.

But I agree with Hanso, Hasek in 1999 may be the best year in goaltending history.

JimmyMess
10-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Joe Sakic is the best at every position

Too bad he doesn't share the same talent for snow blower maintenance as he does for hockey