PDA

View Full Version : TNA Lockdown VERSUS WWE Themed PPVs

XL
10-25-2010, 07:00 PM
This is an idea I had the other night, putting similar ideas up against each other for scrutiny. Gonna start with this one.

TNA LOCKDOWN
In 2005 TNA decided to promote a full PPV of Cage Matches. People thought the idea was dumb as it diluted the special attraction of the Cage Match itself. Plus, it was a TNA idea so many would say it sucked regardless of match quality, etc. TNA have tried to change it up a little by adding Xscape and Lethal Lockdown matches on to the card.

WWE THEMED PPVs
In 2008 WWE began to promote not one but two Elimination Chamber matches at the February PPV known as No Way Out, since then the 2 Elimination Chamber Match concept was become a staple of the Feb PPV with a name change to Elimination Chamber following in 2010. WWE also promote TLC, Hell In A Cell, Breaking Point (Submissions), Fatal 4 Way and this year Money in the Bank as "themed" PPVs. The major critisms of this seem to be that tying the attraction matches to a certain PPV detracts from the value of them and means that fueds are "shoe-horned" into the matches.

BUT, which is worse as a concept? Is TNA worse for starting the concept? Or is WWE worse for not only following but building on it?

SaskatchewanChamp
10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm going too have to say TNA, because I don't mind the WWE Themed PPV's. The only one I do have a problem with is the Money In The Bank, which I believe should have been left for Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania only.

BizarroKing
10-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I think the WWE themed PPVs simply because there's WAYYYYYYYYYYY Too many of them and they kill the gimmick.

Londoner
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM
I think the WWE themed PPVs simply because there's WAYYYYYYYYYYY Too many of them and they kill the gimmick.

So actually you mean you vote for TNA?

Londoner
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh my bad just read the actual question. :D

Eklipse
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Going with TNA.

WWE themed ppv's usually only have the theme in the main event.

A ppv where all matches are cage matches takes impact away from the main feuds involved.

Londoner
10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Going with TNA.

WWE themed ppv's usually only have the theme in the main event.

A ppv where all matches are cage matches takes impact away from the main feuds involved.

Wasn't hell in the cell all hell in the cell matches?(didn't watch it)

Eklipse
10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Wasn't hell in the cell all hell in the cell matches?(didn't watch it)

Nope. Just WWE and WHC title matches I believe.

XL
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
For me personally, I'd go with WWE. Whilst a PPV full of Cage Matches is overkill, a cage match is pretty tame in today's wrestling landscape and can be seen on a weekly TV show from time to time.

A match like Hell In A Cell should only be brought out one every 18 months tops to end a fued. The way it is now, the top 3 fueds at the time of the PPV just end up in Cell matches. Did we need Orton v Sheamus in the Cell or DX v DiBiase/Rhodes etc? Absolutely kills the spontiniety of the match being booked and kills it as a "Fued Ender". Something like Elimination Chamber should be booked when there are 5 guys on equal footing for a title shot not just cos Feb roles around.

Stealth-Icon
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Where is option "C"
--They both suck!!--

XL
10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
The whole point is they both suck...but which sucks WORSE?

Xero
10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
WWE's gimmick PPVs easily. As said, it kills the gimmick. It kills the suspense of feuds, too, because they have to shoehorn the gimmicks into the storylines, even if they don't fit.

Obviously I don't mind the Rumble, NOC is a good concept and I actually like the Chamber as a yearly PPV, just not between the Rumble and Mania (maybe use it as the title shot going into SummerSlam). But the rest need to go.

Fatal Four Way is unnecessary and really kills the card because they have to put 8 of their top guys into two matches. Bragging Rights is just Survivor Series renamed. They killed the Hell in a Cell by forcing it into one spot. Money in the Bank should have stayed on Mania. It CAN work as it's own PPV, but I honestly feel it serves a better purpose on Mania. TLC as a PPV is just stupid. The rest, like Extreme Rules, I don't really care either way about.

TNA has one gimmick PPV. And really, it's not THAT bad of a concept. If every match was Lethal Lockdown or something then yeah it'd be weird. But it does allow for some variation in the match types within the cage.

My only real problem with it is when they put a free cage match on TV just before it, which I believe they did this year. That was just stupid.

DLVH84
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, easily WWE's gimmick PPVs suck.

I say get rid of most of these PPVs, keep Royal Rumble (January), WrestleMania (March/April), SummerSlam (August), and Survivor Series (November on the week of Thanksgiving), and add back King Of The Ring (June), with the winner of the King Of The Ring tournament gets a shot at the Unified WWE World title at SummerSlam.

Rammsteinmad
10-26-2010, 05:39 AM
WWE's are the worst. They have too many, and it really kills the gimmick.

Another reason, a bit lame, but none-the-less still valid, is that at least TNA give the PPV a name, not just 'TNA Cage Match'. 'TLC', 'Hell in a Cell', 'Fatal-Four-Way'... are you kidding me? A PPV named Fatal-Four-Way?!