PDA

View Full Version : African American Champion

benji718
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Will WWE ever have african american? In the history of the WWF/WWE there have only been 1 african american champ, and I'm not counting The Rock. Booker T when he was king Booker held the World Heavyweight Championship. He won it July 23, 2006, and held it for 126 days, and since then, there has not even been an african american #1 contender. I'm just saying just maybe the WWE should look into being a little bit more diverse...:n:

CSL
10-25-2010, 10:20 PM
So which 'african-american' guys should have been champion exactly?

Cool King
10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
*Enter John Cena joke here*

benji718
10-25-2010, 10:23 PM
At the time Kofi was feuding with Randy Orton, it would have been a good time, but they let that die down and now Kofi is a B rated wrestler.

The Show Off
10-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Will WWE ever have african american? In the history of the WWF/WWE there have only been 1 african american champ, and I'm not counting The Rock. Booker T when he was king Booker held the World Heavyweight Championship. He won it July 23, 2006, and held it for 126 days, and since then, there has not even been an african american #1 contender. I'm just saying just maybe the WWE should look into being a little bit more diverse...:n:

Bobby Lashley was #1 contender.

benji718
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Bobby Lashley was #1 contender.

Who did he ever fight???

El Fangel
10-25-2010, 10:26 PM
*Enter John Cena joke here*

Goddamn you!

CSL
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
At the time Kofi was feuding with Randy Orton, it would have been a good time, but they let that die down and now Kofi is a B rated wrestler.

Nothing like blowing your load early huh.

benji718
10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Nothing like blowing your load early huh.

lol.. Tell me about...:n:

Triple Naitch
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
A year ago I would have said MVP. Kofi Kingston still has a chance and he is still very young, but I only see him as a transitional champion. Bobby Lashley was the closest thing since Booker T.

SaskatchewanChamp
10-25-2010, 11:11 PM
What the hell is this thread?
Quit putting so much emphasis on race you idiot, if a guy is talented enough, they will get there shot regardless of their race. You must be an American.

Fignuts
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
I can has african american?

Supreme Olajuwon
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Always love that people want diversity, then don't count guys who aren't 100% black.

Volare
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Who did he ever fight???

Lashley vs Cena Great American Bash and he was in the Night of Champions WWE Championship Challenge match with Cena, Foley, Orton and King Booker.

CSL
10-25-2010, 11:20 PM
lol.. Tell me about...:n:

I was disagreeing with you bro.

FourFifty
10-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Ya know why Rey and Eddie were champions? Two words. Hispanic Demographic. There's a lot of money to be made in them hills, bro. Everyone loves the Latinos. The black guys... it's hard to get a predominately white/Latin crowd behind R-Truth to the point where he'll be a major champion.

SOCCER LEGS
10-25-2010, 11:59 PM
the rock...

crusnik
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Always love that people want diversity, then don't count guys who aren't 100% black.

100% true supreme, How can you count Booker T n not the Rock? His father was a tag team champion(Rocky Johnson and Tony Atlas was the First African american tag team champions in the wwe/f) geez you want bloody diversity you had Sheamus as the first Irish world Champ Kofi Kingston was IC champ Rey mysterio Eddie Gurrero ..... look at the history before you start talking bout diversity.:nono:

Wolfpack423
10-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Who did he ever fight???

He fought John Cena at the Great American Bash 2007 in a good match, one of the better PPV main events of 2007.

Wolfpack423
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Faarooq was the first black world Heavyweight Champion but then again that was WCW. Ahmed Johnson probably would have had a shot at the title if it wasn't for the kidney injuries and what not.

Jura
10-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Pearl River Plunge on the car.

Next Big Thing
10-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Lashley would have been had he not left. He was ECW champ and represented Trump in the hair vs. hair match with Vince. They clearly were pushing him and he was building steam with the fans.

jskinnyg
10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Lashley was a steroid joke... Plus...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l90oYLAQHAY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l90oYLAQHAY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

dhellova guy
10-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Diversity huh?

Rey & Eddie (as was mentioned) - Hispanic champions

Great Khali - Indian (the country) champion

Shamus - Albino champion (ok, a cheap shot!)

Ya, WWE is littered with white champions, and they could probably do better at pushing some of their African american wrestlers. But they could also do a better job at pushing some of their white wrestlers.

Not everything is about race dude.

By the way, I bet The Rock counts himself as an African American champion.

Next Big Thing
10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
WWE hasn't pushed a black guy to be taken seriously as a credible threat to the belt since Lashley. Zeke got hurt before we could see where he could go. R Truth has danced and rapped his way to permanent midcard/ cheap entertainment status. Henry is a fat ass. MVP has been on the skids for awhile and is apparently too old for WWE anyways.

Kofi has the talent, but hasn't put it all together yet and if he does get the belt, I think it will come later in his career like it did for Eddie and Rey.

I think they are trying though. Zeke could be good. Tarver needs a lot of work, but has the potential to be good as does Darren Young with time.

Historically though, WWE has had a shitty track record with minority wrestlers, particularly blacks. They've either had shitty, stereotypical gimmicks or weren't given the opportunity. The company has been around in its current incarnation for almost 30 years and we're only able to name two black champions... Rock and Booker.

So either those two guys were the only black wrestlers capable of being successful as heavyweight champ, or WWE has dropped the ball a few times over the years.

Plus, let's be honest, talking about how someone was the IC champ is like saying we'll just make him a middle manager instead of an executive VP. The heavyweight belt is where the main event and top of the card is at. It's where most of the guys in the locker room aspire to be. Again, if that's all every black wrestle that has entered the WWE except for Rock and Booker was capable of becoming then so be it, but I think there were more guys than that who could have done it with the right push.

DLVH84
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Diversity huh?

Rey & Eddie (as was mentioned) - Hispanic champions

Great Khali - Indian (the country) champion

Shamus - Albino champion (ok, a cheap shot!)

Ya, WWE is littered with white champions, and they could probably do better at pushing some of their African american wrestlers. But they could also do a better job at pushing some of their white wrestlers.

Not everything is about race dude.

By the way, I bet The Rock counts himself as an African American champion.

I agree, WWE should push more minority wrestlers (African-American, Asian, Samoan, etc.) and give them a chance of winning a World title, but knowing Vince, he either doesn't push them as much or given them a stereotypical gimmick. Plus, they don't let them use their full potential and movesets.

RKO'em
10-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Wait...Isn't Kofi Jamaican?

DLVH84
10-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Wait...Isn't Kofi Jamaican?

No. He's from Ghana in West Africa.

Tom Guycott
10-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Historically though, WWE has had a shitty track record with minority wrestlers, particularly blacks. They've either had shitty, stereotypical gimmicks or weren't given the opportunity. The company has been around in its current incarnation for almost 30 years and we're only able to name two black champions... Rock and Booker.

So either those two guys were the only black wrestlers capable of being successful as heavyweight champ, or WWE has dropped the ball a few times over the years.

Great example: Ron Simmons as WCW heavyweight champ... so it is only logical that WWF repackaged him as Farooq Asaad, dress him in a shitty, blue foam gladiator outfit, and have him managed by Sunny. What part of that made him scream "world champion"?

...DAMN!

Next Big Thing
10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Great example: Ron Simmons as WCW heavyweight champ... so it is only logical that WWF repackaged him as Farooq Asaad, dress him in a shitty, blue foam gladiator outfit, and have him managed by Sunny. What part of that made him scream "world champion"?

...DAMN!

Can you imagine what kind of heel champ he could have been as the Nation of Domination incarnation of Faarooq with Sunny as his valet instead of that gladiator shit? That could have been classic.

Jeritron
10-27-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID1734/images/linda_mcmahon(1).jpg

addy2hotty
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Never been an English WWE/WHC Champion either and there's been some decent nominees.

Vince hates England, clearly.

DLVH84
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Never been an English WWE/WHC Champion either and there's been some decent nominees.

Vince hates England, clearly.

Or a Scottish World Champion either.

YoungFlyFlashy
10-27-2010, 01:05 PM
I swear, this type of thread pops up every six months.

The Naitch
10-27-2010, 05:32 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1KEUuJ9XwM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1KEUuJ9XwM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>