PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Live is AWESOME!!!

Tom Guycott
11-10-2010, 12:53 AM
That is all.

Funky Fly
11-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Fuck the what?

Drakul
11-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah, it's great. I went to see it last year. They had a contest where a guy had to try and play GH while Tommy Talrico played for real on a real guitar and the orchestra played along.. He did pretty well.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRaoC90Z6FM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRaoC90Z6FM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x234900&amp;color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tom Guycott
11-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Same here. Same song, too... just the first time, the kid failed out due to the lag. :rofl:

They let him recalibrate on-stage and try again, and ended up 98% on <s>hard</s> expert.

There was also another guy who had to play Space Invaders... as the ship. More unintentional comedic gold as the guy was kinda big, which made the t-shirt they gave him for motion tracking kinda snug. Still awesome, tho.

By the by, Talrico's custom steampunk sniper guitar was TOTAL WIN!

Drakul
11-10-2010, 02:34 AM
We had that space invaders thing as well. The girl that was chosen to do it failed after a few seconds.

Shaggy
11-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Yea its definenly one of those things that any video game fan should attend.

OssMan
11-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Noh I went to it and it was really fucking stupid. A bunch of people dressed up as their favorite video game characters, mostly from Japanese games, and some fucking asshole "hype man" Tommy Tallarico trying to get everybody all pumped up. We were hoping they would play medleys of the games they features but they only really did that for Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid, which were the only good performances. Like for Zelda they just play the main theme of Zelda, and for Final Fantasy they just played the prelude. Also yeah they had that kid go and play Guitar Hero, and he got a standing ovation from the entire crowd for doing well which made me want to vomit.

A better performance was Final Fantasy Distant Worlds.

OssMan
11-14-2010, 03:04 PM
THE YEAR IS 1997!

THE COMPANY IS SQUARE ENIX!

THERE IS ONLY ONE WORD YOU NEED TO KNOW!

THE GAME IS

FINAL

FANTASY

7!

Drakul
11-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Noh I went to it and it was really fucking stupid. A bunch of people dressed up as their favorite video game characters, mostly from Japanese games, and some fucking asshole "hype man" Tommy Tallarico trying to get everybody all pumped up. We were hoping they would play medleys of the games they features but they only really did that for Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid, which were the only good performances. Like for Zelda they just play the main theme of Zelda, and for Final Fantasy they just played the prelude. Also yeah they had that kid go and play Guitar Hero, and he got a standing ovation from the entire crowd for doing well which made me want to vomit.

A better performance was Final Fantasy Distant Worlds.

Really? We got a lot of medleys like Retro games (Donkey Kong, Frogger, Dragons Lair, OutRun, Ghosts 'n' Goblins etc) Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Megaman, MGS and a bunch of other non-medley pieces like Kingdom Hearts, Halo and WoW among others I wont list right now. We got a light show aswell as the usual video to watch in time with the music. Like gold rings during Sonic, palm trees during OutRun etc.

We had two "games", the Space Invaders thing and the Guitar Hero one. It might sound dumb to applaude someone winning at GH but, remember, he was playing with no real time to prepare, with hundreds of people watching and also being accompanied by an orchestra and Tommy Talrico on guitar. I'd think that would put some extra pressure on playing it on expert.

I'd go again. They vary the show from place to place so maybe that's why you didn't get certain things.

OssMan
11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
For Metal Gear Solid they had some guys walking around on stage in a box trying to hide and stuff, then the exclamation point sound would go off and they ran away I think. Also I remembered they brought this guy out and blindfolded him and he played a Final Fantasy 7 medley which was alright. Did they do that for you?

Would have marked out for Mega Man.

Drakul
11-18-2010, 09:21 PM
They did the MGS skit but not the FF7 thing.

The Megaman medley was really cool. I looked up a video of it on Youtube and all I could find was performances in Paris and performances at the show I went to. I remembered then that they said it was the first time they had done the medley in the UK, so that was cool. They add and remove stuff all the time. Here's the one video of the medley at my show. It has more punch than the Paris orchestra (It's a different orchestra depending on where they're performing.).

Lowish sound quality but sounded great in person:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1yr8BGZ-sg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1yr8BGZ-sg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Flashing video was a bit much for my non-gaming friend I invited along, though.