PDA

View Full Version : Royal Rumble 2011

Damian Rey
11-12-2010, 06:27 PM
I was thinking about who could possibly be getting set up to win the upcoming Rumble, and thought to myself that it has been a long while since WWE used the Rumble as a way to catapult a mid carder into the mai event. I think the last guy to win the Rumble that hadn't had a world title or been a main eventer prior to winning the Rumble was Mysterio in 2006.

Since then, we've had Taker, Cena, Orton and Edge pick up Rumble wins. I'm curious to see who, if anyone on either rosters, could you see winning the Rumble match and hasn't been a main eventer prior to winning.

On Raw, the two guys I see having a remote chance are Wade Barrett and John Morrison. Barret for obvious reasons, though he may win the title as soon as Survivor Series. Morrison was in the WHC Elimination Chamber main event this past year, and seems to finally be picking up steam with his Sheamus feud that
s developing.

On SmackDown!, the only semi believeable choice to me would be Alberto Del Rio. They've built him up to be an upper mid carder since his debut, and he's gotten over rather quickly. Also has the look of a main eventer to go with the ring work and mic skills.

Thoughts?

Razzamajazz
11-12-2010, 06:31 PM
i'm sure somebody is going to mention daniel bryan

thedamndest
11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Sheamus or Barrett are the only real choices for new guys.

Razzamajazz
11-12-2010, 06:34 PM
if the nexus angle is still around by then, yeah i could see one of them (barrett) winning it leading to their break up afterwards

Lock Jaw
11-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Zack Ryder gonna win the Royal Rumble. Mark my words.

Xero
11-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Fella for Rumble Winner.

thedamndest
11-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Miz would be an obvious choice but he has the case. Unless they give him both.

Xero
11-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Miz would be an obvious choice but he has the case. Unless they give him both.

I want this to happen but I know WWE wouldn't do it. Like I've said, have him drop all references to the case, lose his Mania match but then cash in and win.

Lock Jaw
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Wonder if I should use my pull and be a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble.

Volare
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
If Triple H doesn't return before the Rumble, he will come back and win it.

Xero
11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Wonder if I should use my pull and be a surprise entrant in the Royal Rumble.

Wouldn't that be up to Vince, though?

Lock Jaw
11-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but Vince loves terrible ideas like that.

Xero
11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
True.

Triple Naitch
11-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Triple H or Cena is my pick.

Providence Peep
11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I'd like to see it be someone we're not expecting, but I doubt that will happen.

Aguakate
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Diesel Power!

Ultra Mantis
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Christian winning to take on Edge at Mania would be fantastic. Though I just finished his RTWM on SD vs Raw so I'm likely to be overestimating the probability of this happening in real life by about 100%

Right now it would logically be a returning HHH or Cena if the Nexus angle stretches that long.

itsmeJD
11-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Zack Ryder gonna win the Royal Rumble. Mark my words.

Woo Woo Woo, you know it!

Nicky Fives
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I want this to happen but I know WWE wouldn't do it. Like I've said, have him drop all references to the case, lose his Mania match but then cash in and win.

I've stated I wanted this to happen since he won it at Money In The Bank....

BizarroKing
11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Only one man is truly worthy of winning this years rumble

http://www.gerweck.net/steveblackman.jpg

DaVe
11-12-2010, 09:06 PM
hilarious.

Evil Vito
11-12-2010, 09:17 PM
<font color=goldenrod>The only chance at a "surprise" is Triple H if he hasn't returned yet.

Otherwise it'll definitely be a semi-predictable pick...they did a surprise last year.</font>

Triple Naitch
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Only one man is truly worthy of winning this years rumble

http://www.gerweck.net/steveblackman.jpg

This joke has never been used ever.

Aguakate
11-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, I read Undertaker may miss WrestleMania 27, which maybe kills the "Diesel to WWE" talk, so...I'm thinking Sheamus wins the Rumble. Maybe that's why they have him in this little angle with Santino, so he "cools off a bit" in terms of Main Eventing, and the fans don't get tired of seeing him in the hunt for the Title.

Loose Cannon
11-12-2010, 11:59 PM
really want to see the belt up for grabs in the Rumble again.

Aguakate
11-13-2010, 12:02 AM
That'd be awesome. The Rumble kinda needs something that gives it a little kick, a little extra excitement.

MoFo
11-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Want Morrison or Sheamus to win it.

Tbh anyone that isnt expected. Dont want Jericho or HHH to come in as a surprise and win it.

glanville6
11-13-2010, 01:15 AM
I am going to make this prediction- that if a former Champion doesn't win the Rumble, that

THE MIZ will win the Royal Rumble.

It could be entertaining seeing this guy brag how he has 2 guaranteed title shots.

Or does his June Money in the Bank win have to be cashed in by Mania too?

And is the WWE really considering unifying the title belts?

Miz beats the champion of his choice at Wrestlemania with his Rumble win, and then cashes his MITB later that night after the main event, thus the next night on RAW unifying the belts.

Last time they unified the belts, I don't think many people expected Y2J to win, and I don't think a lot of people would expect the Miz to unify the titles, but it makes sense.

Far fetched, and to be honest I don't like the idea of unifying the belts.

Xero
11-13-2010, 01:18 AM
Yeah, that's the secondary idea I have for Miz. He chooses the SmackDown! champion, wins it, then cashes in in the WWE championship match.

My only question is would it be wise to close out Mania with a heel walking out with two belts? Unless Miz turns at some point (which I suppose is possible) it doesn't seem very WWE to let heel walk out with two titles, one of which rendering the main event moot, which is another problem.

Maybe if they somehow made it so that the GM says that Miz could only cash in to make it a three way, and that once the bell rings he cannot cash in for the rest of the night. And honestly, that would serve Miz an enormous bump. Winning two titles legit in one night would be huge.

Aguakate
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
Yeah, that's the secondary idea I have for Miz. He chooses the SmackDown! champion, wins it, then cashes in in the WWE championship match.

My only question is would it be wise to close out Mania with a heel walking out with two belts? Unless Miz turns at some point (which I suppose is possible) it doesn't seem very WWE to let heel walk out with two titles, one of which rendering the main event moot, which is another problem.

Well, there HAS been talk of unifying the 2 Titles...that could be a way (though unlikely) to get it done.

Xero
11-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah I know there's talk, and that is certainly a possibility. But I'm hearing they want to do it title for title and apparently Sheamus is high on the list to do it.

Aguakate
11-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Right, that's what I meant, I don't think they'll have Miz be the one who unifies.

Also, if Miz wins the Royal Rumble (which guarantees him a title shot), already having the Money in the Bank (which also guarantees him a title shot), it would be unnecessary, and it takes the opportunity away from some other guy to establish himself and get the opportunity for a title.

That being said, I CAN see Miz trying to cash in at the Royal Rumble, failing to win the title, then later in the night going into the Royal Rumble Match, and winning it, thereby STILL having a guaranteed title shot, only this time, at WrestleMania 27.

He would get SO much heat from the fans...it would take him to another level.

XL
11-13-2010, 01:50 AM
I'd love to see Christian come back in time to win it. Failing that, Jack Swagger could be a good pick.

Eklipse
11-13-2010, 02:04 AM
All the Miz talk reminds me of my first posts on the site. lol.

http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106833

glanville6
11-13-2010, 02:13 AM
All the Miz talk reminds me of my first posts on the site. lol.

http://tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106833

We think alike. I didn't steal your idea, I swear

Eklipse
11-13-2010, 02:19 AM
We think alike. I didn't steal your idea, I swear

Haha. I accused you of nothing...feeling guilty about something? lol

glanville6
11-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Haha. I accused you of nothing...feeling guilty about something? lol

lol. Not at all. Im impressed that you said this 2 months ago.
If anything, it would be fresh to see someone who never held a major title go for the belt at mania. I think its been a while.

Eklipse
11-13-2010, 02:26 AM
lol. Not at all. Im impressed that you said this 2 months ago.
If anything, it would be fresh to see someone who never held a major title go for the belt at mania. I think its been a while.

No doubt. I'd like to see a 'Mania with Cena nowhere the main event...like XX.

Rammsteinmad
11-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Christian or John Morrison would be my preferred picks.

Triple H returning would be a nice surprise, especially if he then gets eliminated. Y'know, coz the surprise return usually means 'oh, I guess HHH is winning then', then it'd be a good shock for him to get knocked out.

Rammsteinmad
11-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Also, do we really need another Triple H Wrestlemania main event?

RiX1024
11-13-2010, 05:54 AM
My picks will be either The Miz, Wade Barrett or the King of Fella-Mania Sheamus OR someone we'd least expect like HHH (if he returns), Randy Orton or Mr Overrated John Cena.

D Mac
11-13-2010, 05:58 AM
I'll say it once again like I did one year. If Cena wins I will quit watching.

RiX1024
11-13-2010, 06:01 AM
I will be well pissed off if Cena wins it.

Tommy Gunn
11-13-2010, 06:26 AM
Have The Miz cash in the MITB at the rumble and lose, because WWE need to have a cash-in go badly so that the MITB looks like less of a sure thing and adds suspense.

Then later in the night have Miz win the rumble eliminating someone like a returning Triple H.

Mr Amazing
11-14-2010, 12:36 AM
i can see Christian,Sheamus,Chris jericho,cm punk if heathly,john morrison or wade barrett winning the rumble this year

Mr. Pierre
11-14-2010, 12:42 AM
I think Orton will drop the belt to Barrett due to Cena. Then Cena beats Barrett, leading to Orton winning the Rumble.

Fox
11-14-2010, 02:02 PM
I think Orton will drop the belt to Barrett due to Cena. Then Cena beats Barrett, leading to Orton winning the Rumble.

This, while the least interesting of the ideas being thrown around here, is probably what's going to happen.

The idea of Miz trying to cash in at the Rumble and losing, and then coming in at #30 and winning the thing is pretty awesome. But what's the match? Miz vs. Cena? Miz wouldn't stand a chance in the fans' eyes. Miz vs. Orton could be good, but doesn't exactly scream WrestleMania Main Event. I just don't know.

XL
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
For me, they got the booking all wrong when Orton won the belt in the first place.

I would have had Miz cash in and take the title from Sheamus during the Orton/Sheamus match where the title switched. This means that Sheamus gets a rematch with Miz and Orton is out of the chase.

Meanwhile, Michael Cole is revealed as the Raw GM and he builds a stable around the Miz to keep the title on him and give pay off to the Miz hard-on that a Cole has.

This puts Randy in the Austin position of having to try and get past the entire stable to get to the Miz and would allow the support Orton was/is getting to build to a Rumble win and subsequent WM match with Miz for Randy's big win.

Meanwhile, Barrett and the Nexus can be involved with Cena and go over to SmackDown to wreak havoc there until Taker returns to build a match with Barrett at Mania.

Jeritron
11-16-2010, 01:12 AM
The biggest reason people seem to give for why Miz won't win at ____, or beat ____ seems to be that he hasn't done it yet.
But if WWE is serious about pushing him, and it's pretty obvious that they are, they will do that eventually.
Sure, it isn't really believable right now that Miz could go over Cena or Orton, because he hasn't. But it's something they are probably going to do eventually.

I really think WWE is grooming Miz. Not just as a future champion, but as a future top guy in the mold of Cena and Orton.
He fits all the standards they look for, and reportedly Vince is not only high on his performance but his work ethic, and the promotion he does at non-wrestling events.

I think Miz right now is where Cena and Orton were in 2004. It should be noted that neither of them had beaten or been made to look like they could beat HHH or Angle at that time, but it didn't take long for that to change. Both were mid-card champions being quickly groomed for the main event, and the fans were behind it.

Jeritron
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM
I still don't know that I'd have Miz win the title at Wrestlemania this year though. As much as I'd like to see him get it, I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting a bit longer. I think he's ready to be champion, but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for a wrestler to be ready for a year or so before finally winning it. Shawn and Austin were great examples of this.
Miz could be elevated to the main event officially in early 2011, but not win the belt until later in the year or 2012.

I could see Miz working a non-title feud with HHH for Wrestlemania. I'd love that.

Sepholio
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Kevin Nash. And then he will end Takers streak at WM. and then he will run for president and win.

Londoner
11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Can see CM Punk returning from injury and winning it....

MoFo
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I pray that Blandy doesnt win it. Anyone but him.

bigslimjj
11-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Punk,Christian,or MVP would be nice.

Tommy Gunn
11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
MVP would be amazing, but really I don't mind anyone as long as they are not a former world champion.

It doesn't mean the same when guys like Edge and Orton win the rumble, because you know they would probably get a title shot soon enough anyway.

Mr. Nerfect
11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
My bet is that Randy Orton wins his second Royal Rumble next year. John Cena helps Wade Barrett win the WWE Title, and then sets his sights on Barrett himself. Orton wins the Royal Rumble; Cena wins the WWE Title; it's revenge time for Orton. If we are very lucky, the most exciting thing that can come about of this is a John Cena heel turn to keep the WWE Title. But that's a long-shot.

Onyx
11-20-2010, 01:37 AM
First, I truly hope that they don't have anyone returning from an injury win the Rumble, or have a surprise entrant win. They have done that too many times in the past few years to make it mean anything anymore. For that same reason, they also shouldn't have a late entrant win (especially a number 29 or 30). It's about due for another "beat the odds" Rumble win where someone who enters early wins it. Even more so, they need someone who hasn't been champion win the Rumble. With their current plan to push young talent, this seems likely.

As for what I would like to see happen, I would like to see Miz cash in the MITB contract at the Rumble, and lose. As mentioned, someone needs to lose their MITB cash in match so that it doesn't look like a sure thing when people win the briefcase. Miz seems like the perfect guy for this because with his promo skills, he won't lose any momentum with a title lose if he goes out and claims he got robbed every week until he gets a new shot.

Next, I want to see John Morrison win the Rumble. it's time to use the Rumble to push a mid-card guy who isn't already in the middle of a major push, but is ready for one. Morrison fits the mold.

Then, and here is where it gets interesting, I would want to see Miz be a late entrant into the rumble, and get eliminated by Morrison. Then have him hold Morrison responsible for ruining his "last chance," and challenge him at the next PPV for his title shot at Mania. Have Morrison win to keep his push going, and give him the title at Wrestlemania while keeping Miz as his personal antagonist. Then set up a long running feud between the two over the title that goes all the way until SummerSlam.

I have been waiting for a true Miz/Morrison feud since they broke up as a team a couple of years back, and we have yet to get it. These guys have good chemistry together and having them feud over the title for a couple of months would kick ass.

CSL
11-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Unless something about him changes drastically, I can't think of much worse coming from WWE TV than 2 months of John Morrison promos leading up to WrestleMania :-\

Mr. Nerfect
11-20-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't understand why people think that someone needs to cash-in a title shot with MITB and lose? The winner of MITB can pick their spots. They can literally run down the WWE Champion in a car, toss him into the ring and demand a match. There is no way that an opportunistic MITB winner should not win the title they challenge for.

Now, you can suggest that the MITB winner doesn't cash in the title opportunistically, but then what was the point of having them win the Money in the Bank Ladder Match in the first place? Surely that match is there to elevate someone to the World Title level? If they aren't going to win the World Title, then why give them the MITB win in the first place?

That whole way of booking seems really counter-productive to me, anyway. If you don't think a guy is ready to be World Champion; don't give them the Money in the Bank briefcase. If you do; don't give them the briefcase if you're going to make them look like a fucking idiot piece of shit.

The ONLY way that cashing in the briefcase can be done, without a title being won, is if the challenger announces he is using his title shot ahead of time. But even then, not sealing the deal is risky. The Miz could make it work. It'd be like a teased face turn, with The Miz showing some character and hustle, proving something to everyone. Then his "true ascension" can begin. But again -- why not make his ascension now?

If they don't think The Miz is ready, then they should just have him hold off on cashing until later next year. Establish that the title shot has a one year life span. But this is meant to be about the Royal Rumble, isn't it?

Who is going to be in the main events of WrestleMania? John Cena vs. Randy Orton seems like a safe bet. But depending on how you want to set them up, the biggest surprise as a Royal Rumble winner will probably come from SmackDown!, with the intent of challenging for the World Heavyweight Championship.

Besides Randy Orton or John Cena, the only guy with a remote chance, in my honest opinion, is Wade Barrett. Especially if he doesn't win the WWE Title at Survivor Series. It'd be a way to bounce him back, and remind everyone that he is meant to be a main player. I mean, depending on what they have in store for Barrett at WrestleMania, it's very likely that he'll end up somewhere near the top of the card, since planned programs have him against The Undertaker, and there is such great heat and chemistry between him and John Cena.

Even if Taker is not ready to go, they can just insert Barrett into whatever is happening on SmackDown!, or into the RAW main event program. The story will probably be Nexus helping him make it to the end (much like how we had Legacy do well a couple of years back). Then, Taker returns and wins the World Heavyweight Title and Barrett vs. Taker is set.

thedamndest
11-20-2010, 12:01 PM
That first part is questionably true. Miz hit the Skull Crushing Finale on Sheamus but the ref wouldn't start the match because it knocked him out. There's obviously a lot of wiggle room here for when a guy is "ready" and this was probably done more to establish Miz as a legit threat than establish the rules of MitB cash in.

Barring that though, the guy shouldn't lose if he cashed it in that way. I would rather see someone win a la RVD at this point just because hotshotting it has been done to death.

Nervous Ferret
11-20-2010, 12:12 PM
I'll be entering the Rumble yet again this year, wish me luck

XL
11-20-2010, 05:56 PM
With MitB, I'd like for the holder to name their match ahead of schedule (like RVD) only to cash in before that match arrives. Very heelish to reneg on what you said you would do/take advantage of the champion taking his eye off the ball.

I think this was the plan for Kennedy when he said he would cash in at the following Mania.

Mr. Nerfect
11-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I have no doubt that the plan was for Kennedy to re-affirm his heel status and sneak the title off someone.

Another scenario I could maybe stomach, is if the MITB winner cashed in, and then someone attacked them mid-match, causing the disqualification. So they win the match, but not the title. The motives of the person attacking could be personal, or could just be something like they are sick of seeing the World Title cheapened by guys cashing in like that.

For example: The Miz cashes in against Randy Orton, John Morrison runs down and attacks The Miz, cuts a promo on how he doesn't like The Miz and that he should have had honour and announced his title shot ahead of time. The Miz enters a feud with Morrison, where they hopefully help each other prove themselves as main event worthy again.