PDA

View Full Version : Discussion for Smarks: Styles of wrestling

Marc the Smark
04-23-2004, 12:09 PM
I think it's safe to say there are two types of workers: techical wrestlers and grapplers. (Yeah, some have the total package, but those are far and few between.) There's Benoit, Angle, Haas, and Benjamin, for example; then there's Batista, Kane, Big Show and Undertaker. Are these bigger guys the tweeners? Do you prefer a kick ass monster or a wrestling technition?

Oh, and before anyone says Brock Lesnar was both, keep in mind he was very overrated. He was a great amateur wrestler, indeed. Good mat wrestler. But he was BORING in the ring, AND I thought that he had no sense of psychology whatsoever! Post your thoughts.

spd10000
04-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Technical wrestling is boring

Nowhere Man
04-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Technical wrestling is boring

So are fat sloppy hosses who can't work for shit.

Kane Knight
04-23-2004, 01:41 PM
So are fat sloppy hosses who can't work for shit.
but who would excite spd100000000 like watching the Big show with a wedgie?

Loose Cannon
04-23-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm one of those fans who enjoys watching both. I like wtaching lets say Benoit-Angle matches, but if the storyline if good in a match like Andre-Hulk, (Quick example off the top of my head) then I don't mind watching those type of wrestlers fight.

Ricky
04-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Technical wrestling is OK, but I do like watching a good old punch-up.

KingofOldSchool
04-23-2004, 02:33 PM
I'm with Loose Cannon.

There are other ways I can be entertained than just by watching tons of wrestling clinics. I like a little bit of everything, that's why I enjoy wtaching guys like The Undertaker, Big Show, and Batista. Sure they aren't technically gifted but they are good at what they are paid to do...look like they are menacing individuals if you get in their way.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-23-2004, 04:24 PM
If it's entertaining I like it.

There is also a billion different styles.

AareDub
04-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I healthy mix is always good. A mix throughout the show, not like a mix in one guy. I also agree that there are more than just those 2 styles :p.

Marc the Smark
04-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm willing to accept that there are more than two styles, but I can't think of them. If you're referring to the cruiserweights, they're more "technical wrestlers" than "grapplers."

MVP
04-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I :heart: technical wrestling more than any other style. I think it demonstrates the fullest capabilities of superstars' wrestling. Speed is good too, but it demonstrates more gymnastics than traditional techincal wrestling. Power grappling is good if it involves some technique.

Oh, and before anyone says Brock Lesnar was both, keep in mind he was very overrated. He was a great amateur wrestler, indeed. Good mat wrestler. But he was BORING in the ring, AND I thought that he had no sense of psychology whatsoever! Post your thoughts.
There goes my bullshit detector: first off Brock Lesnar was not boring in the ring. Brock was unique for his size because he managed to juxtapose power, technical, and speed wrestling style in the ring. Brock was pretty unpredictable because he was fast, dished out new moves, and had the size advantage over most of his opponents. Brock wasn't WWE's typical hoss to put it in simpler terms.

Now when you say "psychology" do you mean his ability to match his opponents style of wrestling? Because usually when Brock was booked in a half-ass match, it was usually his opponents fault for being sloppy in the ring, because Brock sure as hell wasn't sloppy, though a little stiff at times.

kuremadman
04-23-2004, 06:46 PM
I don't mind power wrestling, but I want to see some psychology built into it as well. I want to see some talent. Davey Boy Smith was a good power wrestler, but he could put on a good match as well. Vader was a great monster. There have been a few like that. I thought Brock Lesnar could be like that someday, but then he picked up his football and went home.

Over all though, I'd rather see great technical work with lots of quick exchanges and counters, but if it can tell a story, it will have me sucked in whether it's Benoit/Angle in a submission match, Funk/Foley going hardcore, or two powerful, yet skilled big men.

blake639raw
04-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I'm one of those fans who enjoys watching both. I like wtaching lets say Benoit-Angle matches, but if the storyline if good in a match like Andre-Hulk, (Quick example off the top of my head) then I don't mind watching those type of wrestlers fight. ditto

Funky Fly
04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
This is a good opportunity to bring up WCW. They had all kinds of styles, and the result was fantasic. It all went to shit when Russo and Bischoff tried to make WWE 2 out of WCW in 1999 and 2000, though.

Savio
04-23-2004, 07:11 PM
I think it's safe to say there are two types of workers: techical wrestlers and grapplers. (Yeah, some have the total package, but those are far and few between.) There's Benoit, Angle, Haas, and Benjamin, for example; then there's Batista, Kane, Big Show and Undertaker. Are these bigger guys the tweeners? Do you prefer a kick ass monster or a wrestling technition?

I liked brock :(. You forgot about luchas.

kuremadman
04-23-2004, 09:04 PM
This is a good opportunity to bring up WCW. They had all kinds of styles, and the result was fantasic. It all went to shit when Russo and Bischoff tried to make WWE 2 out of WCW in 1999 and 2000, though.
That is the reason that I always liked WCW. The undercard was always spectacular. I could live on those six-man lucha libre style matches where they would use people like Billy Kidman as well. Plus, they had Arn Anderson. Everytime Arn hit a spinebuster, I just had to smile.

SeanMC
04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Technical wrestling is my favourite style, but aslong as the shows are booked right and i see a good match out of some other styles, i really don't mind.

Nowhere Man
04-23-2004, 10:03 PM

I love you.

Honestly, half of the time, I'd only watch the first hour or so of Nitro, unless Sting or DDP was in the main event (although I'll ashamedly admit to being a gigantimous Goldberg mark) The night Rey and Kidman fought for the Cruiserweight Title (fall of '98; I don't think they wrestled against each other that often), I nearly died. Oh, and of course any time one of them tangled with Juvi.

KillerWolf
04-24-2004, 12:19 AM
there are some parts i like and dislike about various ring styles. i definitely prefer IMPACT over AIR or FLIPS. that is one of the many reasons i DETEST RVD. i thought TAKER vs. FLAIR at WM18 was a good match because it had good psycology, and they beat each other bloody. i also like ANGLE and BENOIT's style of technical wrestling. they do a lot of 'real' wrestling moves and hard impact. what i dont care for are LEAP FROGS, and 30 ARM DRAGS in a row, and 20 NEAR FALLS in as many seconds, or RVD style spot-fests where youre left thinking "any f-ucking moron would have seen that coming and moved out of the way" or "how stupid do you have to be to fall for that" or "the day i see someone fight like that........"

Marc the Smark
04-24-2004, 12:22 AM
i DETEST RVD. "

Is he because he's highly overrated, or just doesn't fit in? Either way, :y:

KillerWolf
04-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Is he because he's highly overrated, or just doesn't fit in? Either way, :y:
* its because ive watched him sleepwalk through the SAME MATCH for the last two years.

* because he came to the wwf(e) with 0.0 mic skills. three years later he has exactly 0.0 mic skills.

* his matches are PURE ******RY. just a series of stale spots.

* it seems like the guy just gets worse and worse. blows my mind when people on THIS VERY FORUM bitch about how he should be world champion, and he's not getting the push he deserves (for sleepwalking through the same match for three years and not evolving one bit as a wrestler or as a character within that time) :rant:

:yes: so yeah, i guess you could say he's over-rated IMO

KillerWolf
04-24-2004, 12:41 AM
:?: i cant say F-A-G-G-O-T-R-Y here?

Marc the Smark
04-24-2004, 12:52 AM
:yes: so yeah, i guess you could say he's over-rated IMO

Heh. Well I know he's very popular, but I just can't figure out why. He has no technical wrestling ability whatsoever, and like you already said, he does the same routine every match. What's so great about that?

Kane Knight
04-24-2004, 12:59 AM
:?: i cant say F-A-G-G-O-T-R-Y here?
Yeah, I wonder why.

KillerWolf
04-24-2004, 01:03 AM
i made up that word. i think its funny. in fact, i think everyone should start to use it.

Rock Bottom
04-24-2004, 01:07 AM
I wouldn't go far enough to say that any particular style makes a wrestler, rather than wrestlers make the style. Here is my reasoning.

Bret Hart and Chris Benoit bring out the best of the technical wrestling. They were both resiliant, tenacious, and they execute their moves beautifully. There is more to technical wrestling than having a bunch of arm-drag and headscissor-reversal spots. You have to look intense. You have to keep coming at your opponent. You have to focus on their body parts. When you portray technical wrestling at its finest, and take on all comers like these two, then you are the man.

Then there is the powerful type, some would say grappling. I think Brock Lesnar was a hell of a guy at this. He was mean, powerful, intense, big, and he just looked intimidating. I factor in the appearance because I am not going to take someone who looks goofy seriously when they are this type of wrestler. Lesnar was incredibly agile for his size, and his condition is unquestionable. When he wanted to, he could give you an incredible match.

Then there are the high-flying technicians, there are PLENTY to mention but for now I'll stick with Rey Mysterio Jr. and Ultimo Dragon. Ultimo sctintellates me. I also happen to think that him and Eddie Guerrero work extremely well together. And when I say Rey Mysterio, I don't mean this stupid WWE "West Coast Pop" Mysterio. I am talking about the ECW Rey Mysterio, and WCW. Rey was not only good at high-flying, but you could just look at him even on the ground and go, "Holy shit, this could very well be the most agile man on the planet."

Then you have your high-energy main event types. The Rock and Steve Austin. Not the greatest technicians, but they bring alot of energy and emotion into the ring. They make the crowd pop like crazy just because of who they are, and they put alot of work into it. There is an art to being charismatic, and using it to your advantage in a match. These are the types of wrestlers that can make people freak out with simple taunts.

Then you have your sound workers, like Eddie Guerrero, or Shawn Michaels. They're quick, they execute their moves flawlessly 99% of the time, and they have finesse. These are the types of guys that can basically carry anyone to an entertaining match. Alot of these guys, with the right push and gimmick/personality/character, can become main-eventers regardless their size or strength, like the technical wrestlers.

Anyway, there are plenty of wrestling styles. And plenty that I've missed. But overall, the greatest wrestlers stand out not just because of their style, but because of how they innovate their style. It is one thing to marvel at the cars, but to marvel at the racers is a totally new ballgame.

Rock Bottom
04-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Also, I think you saying Brock Lesnar had no psychology is one of the stupidest opinions I've ever heard. He had psychology like a mother fuc</>ker. Have you ever seen Rocky IV? Brock Lesnar is Ivan Drago. If he were to come up to me, and give me one of those freakish facial expressions, I would probably shit my pants.

Marc the Smark
04-24-2004, 01:27 AM
His in ring charisma, which is key in my opinion, was totally lacking. He just did moves like a psychotic robot. I'll give him this - whenever he started getting extremely intense, that was pretty cool. He was also a great college wrestler. But in the WWE, his work was way overrated.

Rock Bottom
04-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Give me a monster with more charisma than Brock Lesnar who isn't a total flop in the ring, and I'll believe you.

Edit: I also decided to tack this on. Did it ever occur to you that being a psychotic robot was Brock Lesnar's whole gimmick? The guy's first real main-event fight was a title shot at The Rock, and even though it wasn't a clean win he pretty much hosed The Rock down.

Funky Fly
04-24-2004, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't go far enough to say that any particular style makes a wrestler, rather than wrestlers make the style. Here is my reasoning.

Bret Hart and Chris Benoit bring out the best of the technical wrestling. They were both resiliant, tenacious, and they execute their moves beautifully. There is more to technical wrestling than having a bunch of arm-drag and headscissor-reversal spots. You have to look intense. You have to keep coming at your opponent. You have to focus on their body parts. When you portray technical wrestling at its finest, and take on all comers like these two, then you are the man.

Then there is the powerful type, some would say grappling. I think Brock Lesnar was a hell of a guy at this. He was mean, powerful, intense, big, and he just looked intimidating. I factor in the appearance because I am not going to take someone who looks goofy seriously when they are this type of wrestler. Lesnar was incredibly agile for his size, and his condition is unquestionable. When he wanted to, he could give you an incredible match.

Then there are the high-flying technicians, there are PLENTY to mention but for now I'll stick with Rey Mysterio Jr. and Ultimo Dragon. Ultimo sctintellates me. I also happen to think that him and Eddie Guerrero work extremely well together. And when I say Rey Mysterio, I don't mean this stupid WWE "West Coast Pop" Mysterio. I am talking about the ECW Rey Mysterio, and WCW. Rey was not only good at high-flying, but you could just look at him even on the ground and go, "Holy shit, this could very well be the most agile man on the planet."

Then you have your high-energy main event types. The Rock and Steve Austin. Not the greatest technicians, but they bring alot of energy and emotion into the ring. They make the crowd pop like crazy just because of who they are, and they put alot of work into it. There is an art to being charismatic, and using it to your advantage in a match. These are the types of wrestlers that can make people freak out with simple taunts.

Then you have your sound workers, like Eddie Guerrero, or Shawn Michaels. They're quick, they execute their moves flawlessly 99% of the time, and they have finesse. These are the types of guys that can basically carry anyone to an entertaining match. Alot of these guys, with the right push and gimmick/personality/character, can become main-eventers regardless their size or strength, like the technical wrestlers.

Anyway, there are plenty of wrestling styles. And plenty that I've missed. But overall, the greatest wrestlers stand out not just because of their style, but because of how they innovate their style. It is one thing to marvel at the cars, but to marvel at the racers is a totally new ballgame.
You know, I don't usually orgasm from reading about wrestling, but god damn, there is a first time for everything! :eek: :drool:

PureHatred
04-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Rock Bottom isn't just about the laughs people!!!

Y'all bitches need to recognize!!

Whoopty wooo, nigga whaaaa