PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the WWE lately?

Swiss Ultimate
12-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Rate the period starting from Old School Raw to the Present. Has it been doing it for you? Does it compare favorably to other similar periods in wrestling? Do you think this current level of quality will continue and if so, for how long?

Rammsteinmad
12-07-2010, 07:55 AM

Though as much as we moan and complain about things, there is always something good worth watching on WWE.

With that said, lately they've done some fantastic stuff with their younger stars. With the exception of Undertaker, Triple H, Kane, Edge and Jericho (the last two are still awesome), the roster is mostly built around young guys now, to the point that I don't think Triple H's and Undertakers absences have effected the program in any way.

I'm pretty pumped for Wrestlemania next year, for the reason stated above, it's gonna be full of wrestlers making the WM debuts, and if they can keep this writing going until then, it should be great.

AKin3D
12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
It's been good enough that it's got me back into watching the shows. I say I haven't watched show after show since before Summer Slam. I'm going to say that it's most likely has the second best time of this year. Of course WM was the first. To be honest I don't know how long things can last. I mean it's the end of the year, so they could try to make it last at less till Royal Rumble. Then they'll most likely go into Get Ready for WM. I mean the Elimination Chamber PPV is just a filler anyway.

dhellova guy
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM

I like what they're doing with the Miz right now, and am interested to see where that leads. I want to see what will happen with Cole. Shamus' KOTR shtick was pretty good, and hopefully he can give a good rub to Morrison (giggity). CM Punks commentary had been really good, I loved it last night when he told laycool to shut up. Most of the mid card is pretty good.

I dont care for how the Nexus storyline is going, and the whole thing with Cena is so unbelievable (if hes fired, why do they keep playing his music?) As it is the biggest storyline right now, it kinda drags the show down a little for me.

So 3.

Johnny Vegas
12-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Been loving the program so far. Just wish they would "Agent Zero" up Yoshi. That blonde streak of hair is not doing it. And Kidd with the whole '94 HBK deal with the bodyguard is interesting b/c i definitely saw/see Kidd as a good "TBK" type of heel.

Man, i miss TBK :(

Swiss Ultimate
12-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Understandable Dhell. For me it's definitely a 4 though. I haven't been able to watch WWE straight through for a long while. Usually I'd change the channel in disgust and go to bed but, lately I've been watching the show without interruption.

Cuse8
12-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Love Miz as the champ as it is new and fresh. The Nexus angle has a whole new twist on it now. I see Kidd and Andrews more as a Kendrick/Zeke refresher then HBK/Diesel but am happy to see Kidd get some push. Bryan is still great whatever he is putting on. I gotta say I even thought the Uso's put on some real good work in the fatal 4 way last night. I think were going to see a Melina heel turn as she walked away as Natty got beat down last night. And also really like the Morrison/Shemeus fued that is one of the best ones RAW has going right now.

Only dislike as mentioned by dhellova is the cena angle how they are playing his music and hes even coming out in his wardrobe still. It would be a little more believeable if he was in regular jeans and a tshirt, but then again he has been wearing nothing but j-orts for over 5 years. Besides that thumbs up for raw lately.

Shadrick
12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
4, damn near a 5.

Honestly, programming was better than normal this year but was still kinda "eh." Then Nexus came around and gave us fresh perspective; oh shit, John Cena is LOSING and he's not in the title picture!

It seems as if with Trips healing, Taker on his way out, Batista gone, Shawn retired, Edge rounding out his career, and Jericho taking time off that they realized they needed to put some fresh faces out there. While they tried with some and succeeded (Sheamus, Barrett) they also tried with others and didnt quite get what they were looking for (Swagger).

Maybe it has to do with the writing team being purged. Maybe it has to do with Triple H's new position on the creative team while Stephanie is still away on maternity leave, but creatively, the subplots have been better and actually progressing (Dibiase, Cole/Lawler) and the main points have been given a fresh new look (Nexus revolt, John Cena losing and cutting what seems to be some of his OWN promos now and not being told what to say). It's even been a little more edgy; Old School Raw was the first Raw after the election I believe, and was PG-13. Since the skit with Freddie Prinze and Vince, every week, it's gotten less and less PG with some of the things they do/say. It doesn't have to be X-rated for me to like it, it just has to be well written, which right now, it is.

And its not even the Road To Wrestlemania yet. They're giving a push to JoMo, Kofi is getting a LOT more attention with his PPV special (which was going to be a DVD) as well as his new line of merchandise, Yoshi Tatsu, if you noticed, has been on TV more (starting with Old School Raw) and hasn't been buried by the even heel announcers as a "nobody". Del Rio is being built like a champ, Cody has an amazing gimmick that he plays to a T, and Dibiases character is being given new life.

The writing is so solid right now, it makes me WANT to tune in next week and see whats gonna happen, and it hasn't been like that in a long time.

HBPunk
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Man, i miss TBK :(

Good God i fucking loved that character. as a kid i jumped on the HBK bandwagon and TBK was as close as we've gotten since. I really like TK so hope his new bodyguard story takes off.

Usually I'd change the channel in disgust and go to bed but, lately I've been watching the show without interruption.

Big big big joint really helps during Raw, before old school raw anyway. btw i think the old school show sucked bar the set and design. since that show raw has been fantastic

Love Miz as the champ as it is new and fresh. The Nexus angle has a whole new twist on it now. Bryan is still great whatever he is putting on. I gotta say I even thought the Uso's put on some real good work in the fatal 4 way last night. I think were going to see a Melina heel turn as she walked away as Natty got beat down last night. And also really like the Morrison/Shemeus fued that is one of the best ones RAW has going right now.

I might as well have typed this, spot on dude

DInsaneOne
12-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I would rate it a 4,

It seems to be getting better every week, and they are playing that fine edge between PG and TV -14...cena beat down of otunga and harris brought back some memories of stone cold beating up guys in random places.

They could have even kept cena /nexus angle off tv for a bit, like a week or 2 because the miz/king/cole/orton storyline has been interesting and has people emotionally invested, and everyone knows during christmas time RAW can afford to have a lull period since some viewers may not tune in and it would be like they havent missed anything.

Bryan/Dibiase can be an interesting feud if it keeps on gaining the small momentum it is...would like to hear more emphasis on the US title though.

Tag Team divison is still terrible...but i can live with marella and koslov as champs, the usos do nothing for me still even with that performance last night.

dingdongyo
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
i can live with marella and koslov as champs

i like the cobra. it's stupid and funny. sort of like socko or the stinkface. santino has won me over for now. he's so over-the-top bad that he's good.

i don't dislike cena. i like hearing him talk. if he's the guy they are using to make the nexus interesting, whatever. it's working for me.

i'm starting to buy miz as an a-hole champion.

sheamus/morrison, punk's antics, divas division... meh.

Swiss Ultimate
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Santino is not a bad wrestler by any means. He is constantly putting in solid performances.

chrisat928
12-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Keep Punk at the desk and all is good.

Just be sure not to spill his diet soda, or hand it to him in a mocking way. That was fucking hilarious.

Swiss Ultimate
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Punk's commentary had definitely been a highlight.

MoFo
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
I gave it a 2 because the poll says 'Rate last nights Raw', but for the whole winter period I'd say 4 stars.

XL
12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
i like the cobra. it's stupid and funny. sort of like socko or the stinkface. santino has won me over for now. he's so over-the-top bad that he's good.
What!?

"Socko" was the Mandible Claw a move that can legit knock you out - whilst wearing a sock and the Stinkface wasn't a finisher, it was a move to embarrass his opponent (kinda like the People's Elbow or even the 5 Knuckle Shuffle).

The Cobra however is put over a legit finisher. It won Santino & Koslov the Tag Titles and in doing so made 2 members of Nexus - their big heel group -look dumb.

chrisat928
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
People's Elbow was considered a legit finisher, so was The Worm...

Also, put a sweatsock on your hand and try to get two fingers under your tongue. Doesn't work so well.

Anybody Thrilla
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
The Rock Bottom was the REAL finisher. The People's Elbow was more of a 'taunt' after he already knew the match was over.

XL
12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
People's Elbow was considered a legit finisher, so was The Worm...
The Rock Bottom was the REAL finisher. The People's Elbow was more of a 'taunt' after he already knew the match was over.
^ This.
Also, put a sweatsock on your hand and try to get two fingers under your tongue. Doesn't work so well.
It'd do a decent job at suffocating you though, right? ;)

Xero
12-07-2010, 06:31 PM

I've only seen a little of SmackDown!, so I won't comment there. But the RAW side has been picking up significantly. The youth movement is in full-swing, there are two guys on top that I absolutely love, and Cena's writing, barring this week's last segment, has been an improvement.

I don't expect things to be perfect all of a sudden, but the past 3 RAWs have been phenomenal. Most of the matches have meaning now and aren't just filler. Overall, the episodes are solid all-around, barring one or two segments.

Sure, there are some guys they are still handling sloppily (DiBiase), but overall things are improved. I look forward to watching RAW now, instead of watching 80% just for the chat and to make fun of the product.

This is all a precursor to the Road to WrestleMania, so things are only going to improve come January to April. It will be after that when we see if these are permanent changes. But so far, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

Emperor Smeat
12-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Raw has been good the last few weeks and pretty good with the build of all the feuds instead of being just focused on the main event like in the past.

Only thing I'm not liking is the Cena-Nexus feud feels too rushed after the last few weeks and the tag team division is mostly random pairings of teams.

XCaliber
12-07-2010, 07:28 PM
It's been pretty AWESOME so i'd have to give at 4 the only thing that has really brought the average down was the fact Nexus dropped the tag belts to a couple of jabronis.

Cuzziebro
12-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I said 3 but really meant 3.5

I haven't watched in a few months now as I moved house but what I have seen has been awesome. Only downside was all Diva NXT, the tag division (except Santino has Gold again... YEWWW) and the rushed job of the Nexus-Cena angle.

dronepool
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Is it irony that as soon as Linda lost, RAW slowly started to get a bit better? Either way, I'd give it 3 stars. It's been good for the last 3 weeks or so.

Savio
12-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I said 3 but really meant 3.5.

glanville6
12-07-2010, 11:29 PM
I really like 3 men announce booths. That helps make the shows better to me.

I don't, like many (or all) care for the anonymous GM, but since everyone loved the Old School Raw so much, I would still like the Guest GMs if only they were former wrestlers. Interactions with old rivals or just for old time sake would be fun.

But the RAW GM hasn't been as annoying as late.

All in all, the show is more entertaining and not dumb like it has been.