PDA

View Full Version : What wrestling books have you read? Recommend some good wrestling books

The Naitch
12-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I've read:

-Chris Jericho's book
-Heartbreak & Triumph (Shawn Michaels)
-Controversy Creates Cash (Eric Bischoff)
-WWE Are We There Yet? (Stories of the road)
-The Rock's book
-A little bit of Have a Nice Day, Foley Is Good, and Ric Flair's book. Never finished these.
-The Rise & Fall of ECW
-Adam Copeland On Edge
-Rey Mysterio's book
-Gonna start reading Cowboy Bill Watts book soon
-Sex, Lies & Headlocks

Recommend me some non-WWE produced books. I want something that's not WWE biased.

Is Kurt Angle's book any good?

What about Hogan's? It's probably ego masturbation.

I don't know why, but I'm in the middle of reading Vince Russo's book, Forgiven. He is all Born Again Christian now, adding new commentary on the original draft, this time with his new found Christian perspective. (ie. I can't believe I said that. I'm sorry Barbara Walters. That is the old Vince. I pray for my enemies. I was always looking for the next chase. Now with Jesus Christ in my life, I no longer have to fill that void etc etc)

SaskatchewanChamp
12-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Bret Hart

glanville6
12-14-2010, 11:58 PM
You should probably buy Goldust's book. Didn't read it, but want to.

The Naitch
Bret Hart

Is this one?

http://www.bookbits.ca/bhartcover.jpg

Drakul
Have A Nice Day and Foley Is Good.

SaskatchewanChamp
12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Is this one?

http://www.bookbits.ca/bhartcover.jpg

Yes

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 12:00 AM
Is it that big of a deal if it's a WWE-produced book? I want it to be impartial and I want the real scoop. (ie. Vince Russo's book, Forgiven)

Theo Dious
12-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Is it that big of a deal if it's a WWE-produced book? I want it to be impartial and I want the real scoop. (ie. Vince Russo's book, Forgiven)

... ...

... ...

... ... ...

... ... ...

Is this guy serious?

VSG
12-15-2010, 12:03 AM
All of Foley's books are definitely worth it. I have also read Jericho's 1st book (will definitely get the 2nd), Are we there yet?, DX's history, Rise and Fall of ECW as well as the Bret Hart book.

Might get Controversy Creates Cash if the reviews are good.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 12:05 AM

... ...

... ...

... ... ...

... ... ...

Is this guy serious?

I haven't read anything from his early days; I skipped over the first 10 chapters. I rented this book because I wanted to know about some of the backstage stuff from the Attitude Era. Well actually from the time he got hired as WWE Magazine writer (weeks before WrestleMania X) to the time he quit to go to WCW. He doesn't talk much of his stint in WCW.

Jeritron
12-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Foley's first 3 books
Jericho's book
The Death of WCW

That's about it. I'd like to read Bret's. I really don't have much interest in those that are either WWE produced, ghost-written, or lack credibility. More than likely they'd be all of the above.
I have more books cued to read than I ever make time for, so for me to take on a wrestling book I want it to be a very good read that I hear great things about. A topic/author that I can get behind is also important, I suppose.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I have also read Jericho's 1st book (will definitely get the 2nd),

I agree, the 1st one (A Lion's Tale) covers his early days in Japan, right up to his WWF debut in 1999. Nothing after that. I wanna know more about 2000-present. Although I have a feeling his 2nd book will be less about wrestling. I have a feeling it might be a book about his life outside of wrestling

Might get Controversy Creates Cash if the reviews are good.

It's a good look into WCW. I'd recommend it. He explains himself alot (like the time Paul Heyman thought he was all coked up because he kept going to the washroom, when the reason behind that was because he was taking phone calls.)

Jeritron
12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
If Undertaker published an honest and revealing memoir, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

VSG
12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Jericho's 2nd book will definitely have a lot of "Fozzy" and will go the way of his dvd I think but given that it is a WWE publication I think I will be satisfied nonetheless.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Bret Hart was critical of Chris Jericho's autobiography during an interview with the Miami Herald. "A lot of wrestlers have written their books, and most of them don't know what they wrote or could barely read it themselves," Hart told Scott Fishman. I think the only one who has done a real top notch job was Mick Foley.

"I did enjoy Jericho's book to a certain degree, but there is a lot of sanitizing to sort of make the company look good and protect themselves. I think the company sort of handcuffs whether they can say this or say that. I didn't have that kind of restraint."

Jeritron
12-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Sounds like he's just putting his book over. Jericho's wasn't published by WWE.

Perhaps he held back on a few things. That would be at his own discretion though, since WWE didn't publish or promote it at all. So to say they handcuffed anything is untrue.
Also, it doesn't touch on any of his WWE career aside from the negotiations. That sort of makes the whole point moot.

Unless Bret is talking about the publishing companies in general, trying to keep the books clean? I doubt that.
I don't see why and where that would occur in that book. Perhaps Jericho just went a different place with his book. It's possible he personally just prefers to focus on more positive things and not get nitty gritty. Or he doesn't have as much of that to talk about in his story.
Jericho's book is definitely supposed to be an inspirational story from JR's introduction to the final page.
Whether he ignores other things or not, that's the angle.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 12:30 AM
I can't wait for CM Punk to come out with his book

Rammsteinmad
12-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Mick Foley - Have a Nice Day
The Rock - The Rock Says
Kurt Angle -It's True, It's True
Shawn Michaels - Heartbreak and Triumph
Chris Jericho - A Lion's Tale

Jericho's is probably the best book I've ever read. Serisouly good read, compelling, and some of the funniest stuff!

Rammsteinmad
12-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Is Kurt Angle's book any good?

:yes:

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Jericho's is probably the best book I've ever read. Serisouly good read, compelling, and some of the funniest stuff!

TRUE TO THE CREW!!

Rammsteinmad
12-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Junior!

SOCCER LEGS
12-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Sounds like he's just putting his book over. Jericho's wasn't published by WWE.

Perhaps he held back on a few things. That would be at his own discretion though, since WWE didn't publish or promote it at all. So to say they handcuffed anything is untrue.
Also, it doesn't touch on any of his WWE career aside from the negotiations. That sort of makes the whole point moot.

Unless Bret is talking about the publishing companies in general, trying to keep the books clean? I doubt that.
I don't see why and where that would occur in that book. Perhaps Jericho just went a different place with his book. It's possible he personally just prefers to focus on more positive things and not get nitty gritty. Or he doesn't have as much of that to talk about in his story.
Jericho's book is definitely supposed to be an inspirational story from JR's introduction to the final page.
Whether he ignores other things or not, that's the angle.

doesn't matter whether or not it's published by the WWE. they are still going to have some control over what gets printed.

Calamondin
12-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Bret's book is my favorite. Read it twice since I got it last year. Really interesting read, lots of stories.

I loved Foley's first two books (Tale of Blood & Sweatsocks and Have a Nice Day) but didn't like Hardcore Diaries at all. Haven't read his newest book.

Really liked Jericho's book.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Read it twice since I got it last year.

how can you read a book twice? I can understand watching movies more than once, but a book?

Calamondin
12-15-2010, 01:58 AM
how can you read a book twice? I can understand watching movies more than once, but a book?

.. probably the same way you can watch a movie twice. Favorite part, forgotten bits, bored to fuck with nothing else to watch (read in this case)

edit: plus, it's 500 odd pages. So... lots of forgotten bits. Maybe I just have a horrible memory.

VSG
12-15-2010, 02:01 AM
Totally get that, I got so many books that reading multiple times almost always happens.

Cool King
12-15-2010, 02:06 AM
I recommend....

http://www.wrestling101.com/home/wp-content/gallery/book-covers/william-regal-walking-a-golden-mile-book-review-cover.jpg

Aguakate
12-15-2010, 02:16 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/aovzhg.jpg

No joke. It's actually a pretty good book. It has Triple H's workouts, his wrestling autobiography, and funny anecdotes...such as the time Chyna outbenched him.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 02:21 AM
How much of it is a workout book and how much detail is the autobiography part? What's the ratio?

60/40?
70/30?

Seeing how Foley, Flair, Rock, Angle all had their own books and depicted their life story in great detail, judging by the title, I see this Triple H book being mostly a workout manual

CSL
12-15-2010, 02:24 AM
There's a bit more workout stuff than bio. Pretty sure it only took a few hours to 'read' it. And buy/get hold of Dynamite's book.

whiteyford
12-15-2010, 02:33 AM
Hogans book was terrible, ego masturbation probably does sum it up.

whiteyford
12-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Really enjoyed Terry Funks book though, there are some attitude era moments in it covering all 3 companys, but most of its his earlier stuff.

Aguakate
12-15-2010, 02:56 AM
How much of it is a workout book and how much detail is the autobiography part? What's the ratio?

60/40?
70/30?

Seeing how Foley, Flair, Rock, Angle all had their own books and depicted their life story in great detail, judging by the title, I see this Triple H book being mostly a workout manual

You know, I would say the ratio between Workout book vs Autobiography would be about 60/40. He wrote about his WCW days, his early WWF days, his time with DX, his quad injury, the McMahon-Helmsley Era, and of course, gave out his workout program and exercises, etc. It's a suprisingly good read.

djoutcry
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM
I can't wait for CM Punk to come out of the closet

:shifty:

RiX1024
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Books I've read...and own.

Have a Nice Day - Mick Foley
The Rock Says - The Rock
Heartbreak and Triumph - Shawn Michaels
A Lion's Tale - Chris Jericho
Walking a Golden Mile - William Regal
Behind the Mask - Rey Mysterio
My Life Outside the Ring - Hulk Hogan
Hollywood Hulk Hogan - Hulk Hogan
Adam Copeland on Edge - Edge
Controversy Creates Cash - Eric Bischoff
Rise and Fall of DX
Rise and Fall of ECW
WWE Encyclopedia

I recommend.....you choose.

I'd love to read Bret Hart's book and the other Mick Foley ones and Goldust one when it comes out.

Autobiographies that doesn't exist that would be an awesome read would be Vince McMahon (idk if he's written or ghostwritten one), The Undertaker, Vince Russo (if he's done one) and The Sandman (if he remembers anything)

The Ravishing One
12-15-2010, 09:17 AM
I recommend....

http://www.wrestling101.com/home/wp-content/gallery/book-covers/william-regal-walking-a-golden-mile-book-review-cover.jpg

:y: Agreed

The Ravishing One
12-15-2010, 09:21 AM
I've read Foleys 3
Regals
Bobby Heenans 1st - which is good but waaaay too short
Jerry Lawlers - This was some time ago (2001/2002 maybe) and I remember that being a good read.
Just starting Jerichos now, and have the Dynamite kids ready afterwards.

The Naitch
12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
Vince Russo (if he's done one)

http://www.highspots.com/images/images_125/zk7_russo.jpg

Lock Jaw
12-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I have read...

Have a Nice Day and Foley is Good by Mick Foley
Chris Jericho's
Ric Flair's
Steve Austin's
Jerry Lawler's

and...

THE HARDY BOYZ!!

I remember being interested by each one.

I started to read the Dynamite Kid's one time, but I found it hard to connect to since I never really followed his career.

I had Bret's book out from the library the same time I had Jericho's.... but after reading Jericho I was like... "Man... do I really want to go and read this other book, which probably contains a whole lot of bitterness?"

CSL
12-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Didn't realize Bret's book wasn't listed in the OP, it's very good.