PDA

View Full Version : Does John Morrison have any shot at winning the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble?

Mr. Nerfect
12-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Because I sort of want him to. I love The Miz, as well, but after watching Morrison's performance at TLC, I'm really pulling for him to win the WWE Title. Why not?

Supreme Olajuwon
12-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Can't see them taking a risk on a face champ like that. With Sheamus and Swagger it was different because whether they were credible or not, people were still going to boo. If Morrison fails as a face, then they'll just have fan indifference and Morrison loses credibility.

Fox
12-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Not if they're smart.

He's not there yet. His matches with Sheamus at TLC and King of the Ring were huge stepping stones and I definitely think that he's pointed in the right direction, but right now he doesn't have what is necessary to carry the WWE Championship. The Miz is doing a great job as the champ and I think the WWE should continue to capitalize on the great hand they've been dealt with his sudden rise in popularity. Morrison is getting there but he doesn't have the character or the charisma to be the champion right now. He needs that extra something before he can walk around with the top championship in the company and be taken seriously.

Supreme is right in his assessment, I think. If he was a heel, it might be more plausible for Morrison to take the title to see where things go, but as a face he runs the risk of career suicide and a major bump back down the card. Look at what happened to Randy Orton after his first World Title win. It took almost 2 years for him to regain any kind of momentum.

Tazz Dan
12-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Of course he has a shot, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE WWF. Will it happen? No.

Theo Dious
12-27-2010, 12:24 AM
A shot, yes. For now though this should be water-testing for him. Have him in a high-profile match with someone he's guaranteed to work well against, and gauge his ability and crowd reaction. If the Rumble match is good he'll be champion by the end of 2011.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Also I personally hope Morrison and Sheamus' feud isn't done. Feel like those two work really well together and I'd be down for them going at it again.

Theo Dious
12-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Also I personally hope Morrison and Sheamus' feud isn't done. Feel like those two work really well together and I'd be down for them going at it again.

They should leave it go for now, and have them feud again when one of them is champion.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Good call.

GD
12-27-2010, 12:53 AM
I really admire John Morrison's "in ring capabilities". But at the same time I am highly disappointed by his "face" mic work :-\ And since Bragging Rights, it seems like the WWE prefer Mizzy Jannetty over Morrison. Not that I wouldn't love to see him win the belt (but not at freakin Royal Rumble).

GD
12-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Just watched Morrison dressed up as William Wallace on youtube. It was horrible.

Swiss Ultimate
12-27-2010, 01:19 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFBaMZl1nCA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFBaMZl1nCA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Aguakate
12-27-2010, 01:21 AM
...I guess there's always a SHOT he may win it, but WWE shouldn't take the title off Miz so quick.

Lara Emily
12-27-2010, 01:37 AM
I hope not.

JM is fine in ring but he's not good enough in ring for it outweigh how ridiculously boring he is outside the ring at least as a face. He's fucking dull.

Aguakate
12-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Yeah, Miz is one of the few young guys that's not bland (probably the only one).

James Steele
12-27-2010, 03:05 AM
1) John Morrison isn't even close to being ready because the main event and World Titles are about mic skills and promos more than in-ring ability.

2) I really hope they slow build to John Morrison winning a World Title because I feel like he and Christian are the only ones on the WWE Roster who could have a legitimate emotional "The Boyhood Dream Has Come True..." or "Stone Cold! Stone Cold! Stone Cold! The Austin Era Has Begun..." moment at WrestleMania by winning their first World Title on the grandest stage of them all.

3) http://collegian.csufresno.edu/archive/2005/01/31/news/images/HHH_web.jpg

Mr. Nerfect
12-27-2010, 06:05 AM
I get what people are saying. But one consensus seems to be that Morrison's not quite there yet promo-wise. Is that going to get better, or is he just restrained as a face? If a face run fails, perhaps they could turn Morrison heel mid-run. "You people don't respect me, whatever. I am a being beyond your comprehension anyhow."

That being said, I do agree with you, James Steele. Christian and John Morrison are the only two guys (at the moment) that I feel have that "boyhood dream" moment. Perhaps it is best not to blow that off at the Royal Rumble.

Lux
12-27-2010, 06:56 AM
The Miz is the current moment.

Rammsteinmad
12-27-2010, 07:00 AM
At the Royal Rumble? No.

Somewhere else down the line? Definitely.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Can quite easily buy anyone winning a title at the Rumble, just because Elimination Chamber is before WM.

Evil Vito
12-27-2010, 10:13 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Can't see it happening.

In fact, as glad as I am to see Morrison stepped up to the main event (his face character sucks but I like his in-ring work), the fact that it's at the Rumble slightly cheapens it since every year they do unconventional WWE/WHW title matches to save the big names for the Rumble.</font>

ooTin
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Im thinking this is all a set up for WM 28 next year.. That way both me could have cemented their characters into WWE stardom and put on one of the greatest WM Main events ever.

Providence Peep
12-27-2010, 11:48 AM
I think a big problem with Morrison, and it's already been alluded to in this thread, is that he can't talk to a live crowd. IMO, a guy who can't cut good promos shouldn't ever become champion. Perhaps a bigger problem with Morrison, though, is that everything about his image screams heel. He could play the arrogant "rock star" perfectly... but, as a face, what can really be done with that character?

Fox
12-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I think a big problem with Morrison, and it's already been alluded to in this thread, is that he can't talk to a live crowd. IMO, a guy who can't cut good promos shouldn't ever become champion. Perhaps a bigger problem with Morrison, though, is that everything about his image screams heel. He could play the arrogant "rock star" perfectly... but, as a face, what can really be done with that character?

I think Morrison could play the underdog, "Rocky" type face pretty well. He needs to stop forcing his face personality, because when he forces it the audience can tell right away. He's not "feeling" the promos or the characters or even the words that he's saying - he's just saying them.

I can see him winning the WWE Title and someone like a heel Triple H or Sheamus saying he's a fluke champion and beating him into oblivion on an episode of RAW in a non-title match and proving he's a paper champion. Then he does the whole "focused, intense, I have something to prove" thing and beats the same guy on PPV.

Maybe Morrison just needs the right heel to play off of. I can see a heel Triple H versus face Morrison feud being hot.

Wolfpack423
12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Here's my take on it: If The Miz can hold the belt, then John Morrison certainly deserves a good run with it. Morrison will come very close but it will be a cheap win by Miz due to interference by A-Ri. The thing is what Miz matches can you ever recall, whereas Morrison has been having amazing singles matches since September 2006 with Jeff Hardy.

Xero
12-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Morrison has had a push for what, two months? They'd be insane to put it on him now.

Fox
12-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Here's my take on it: If The Miz can hold the belt, then John Morrison certainly deserves a good run with it. Morrison will come very close but it will be a cheap win by Miz due to interference by A-Ri. The thing is what Miz matches can you ever recall, whereas Morrison has been having amazing singles matches since September 2006 with Jeff Hardy.

I'm not really sure that this matters so much in terms of being the WWE Champion. Prior to his WWF Title win at Survivor Series 98, The Rock hadn't exactly been in many "tear down the house classics" beside his ladder match with Triple H, and that was like 3 months prior to SS. The point is that he had the mic skills and when he spoke he had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Same goes for guys like Sheamus and CM Punk. They'd both had good matches on PPV, but nothing "amazing" at the point where they won their World Titles. What they did have was a constant buzz about them every time they walked out to the ring, which is what The Miz has now, and Morrison simply doesn't.

Wolfpack423
12-27-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not really sure that this matters so much in terms of being the WWE Champion. Prior to his WWF Title win at Survivor Series 98, The Rock hadn't exactly been in many "tear down the house classics" beside his ladder match with Triple H, and that was like 3 months prior to SS. The point is that he had the mic skills and when he spoke he had the crowd in the palm of his hand. Same goes for guys like Sheamus and CM Punk. They'd both had good matches on PPV, but nothing "amazing" at the point where they won their World Titles. What they did have was a constant buzz about them every time they walked out to the ring, which is what The Miz has now, and Morrison simply doesn't.

In terms of the Rock, I always felt that he combined mic skills and enough decent ring work to make himself a believable champion. This is my problem with Miz, yeah he has the charisma but I really don't think Miz can go in the ring at all. I like your perspective on the topic though as it does make sense, but Morrison and Christian especially deserve a world title. Christian definitely has the charisma and more than enough ring skills to carry the belt. Morrison has been a major favorite of mine since he was drafter to Smackdown and turned face as I feel his style is more face anyway.

glanville6
12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvFJUedPnoQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BvFJUedPnoQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Emperor Smeat
12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll say no just because they only started the Miz-Morrison feud and WWE probably wants Cena or Orton to be in the match for Wrestlemania which means either Morrison would have to become a heel champion or Miz keeps the title.

If Morrison is meant to be the next champion, then save it for Wrestlemania and keep building his feud with Miz or add Sheamus who has some rivalry with Morrison left unfinished to make it a Triple Threat match.

XCaliber
12-27-2010, 11:48 PM
Looks like their match at the RR won't even happen now which is fine by me as I don't feel there ready to main event together at a major PPV just yet.

Mr. Nerfect
12-27-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm still hoping for my "Sheamus gets involved in John Morrison's title match and interjects himself into the title program" scenario. It frees up a spot in the Royal Rumble for someone, and could add an extra dynamic to Morrison vs. The Miz, saving it for later, and giving Morrison another guy he has tremendous chemistry with.

GD
12-28-2010, 03:10 AM
Does anyone even remember as to how many times has John Morrison/Johnny Nitro bitch tapped out to John Cena?

DaBrasko
12-28-2010, 03:45 AM
Does anyone even remember as to how many times has John Morrison/Johnny Nitro bitch tapped out to John Cena?

Probably the same amount of times that Miz has bitch tapped out. That is a weak statement, EVERYONE has tapped to Cena.

GD
12-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Probably the same amount of times that Miz has bitch tapped out. That is a weak statement, EVERYONE has tapped to Cena.

On the contrary, The Miz was involved in an amazing program with John Cena unlike John Morrison. And by the end of the rivalry, The Miz had officially arrived. Hence it didn't matter if he tapped out to Cena one time too many.

Eklipse
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Not everyone.

Anyway, should be a good match on RAW next week. Look for Miz to retain.

XL
12-29-2010, 12:03 AM
I would hazard a guess that nobody remembers. So, what's your point?

St. Jimmy
12-29-2010, 01:56 PM
<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WDgq-K2oYLo?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

Tazz Dan
01-05-2011, 07:21 AM
Can I change my answer to no?

Shadrick
01-05-2011, 07:42 AM
NO Dan. It is too late.

Sixx
01-05-2011, 08:18 AM
As long as he keeps striking those gay poses all he deserves is that pink TNA belt.

Anybody Thrilla
01-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I suppose there's still a chance that Randy Orton gets a severe case of diarrhea.

Anybody Thrilla
01-05-2011, 09:05 AM
...that's not to be confused with him filling a (suit)case with diarrhea.

XL
01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Can I change my answer to no?
Of course you can. Cause you have an extremely large penis. Just click the "edit" button. Jeez, surely a mod should know that :shifty:.

Emeye
01-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I hope not. I can honestly say Morrison is one of my favorite current wrestlers to watch perform in the ring. And I'm not saying that he is unbearable on the mic, but his gimmick just bores me to death.

I honestly think that all John Morrison needs is a fresh, original gimmick, and he could be a legit WWE Champion for a very long time. He's amazing in the ring, and he honestly is pretty good on the mic, it's just that he really doesn't have anything to talk about.

I would love to see a Morrison heel turn. Maybe have him injured and off of the air for a month or two, and then have him come back completely different, maybe even with short hair. I can't help but think that with the right push, Morrison can be just as over and as much of a legit contender as any other Superstar. His match with Miz Monday on Raw was one of the best performances I've seen on Raw in a while.

In conclusion, completely revamp his character, let him develop into the new character, and then I am 100% on board for a John Morrison WWE Championship run.

Shadrick
01-06-2011, 02:24 AM
So, Amsel, you think Morrison has no shot at winning the Rumble, eh? I'm inclined to agree for some very obvious reasons.

Emeye
01-06-2011, 03:30 AM
It is a possibility that he could win it at the Rumble, lets face it, anything is possible. But I highly doubt it. Even if he did, it wouldn't be a prestigious title run, maybe only until the next PPV event. But like I said, somewhere down the line, with a revamped gimmick, I do see Morrison being a great candidate for champion.

Shadrick
01-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Lemme ask, why do you think it'd be possible for him to win at the Rumble?

Emeye
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Because there are only about 8 superstars at the most who have any believable chance of winning, and to me, he is one of them.

BigDaddyCool
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Can he still grate cheese on his abs?

Anybody Thrilla
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Because there are only about 8 superstars at the most who have any believable chance of winning, and to me, he is one of them.

Does the Rumble winner get the WWE title this year?

Shadrick
01-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Does the Rumble winner get the WWE title this year?

This. Morrison had his title match already.

TheAdamEvansFan
01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I'd like to see Morrison vs Miz vs Orton.

It's like a Babyface vs Heel vs a Viper

It's perfect.. In a political race, it'd be like a Democrat vs a Republican vs a Independent.

Fox
01-06-2011, 07:48 PM
This. Morrison had his title match already.

Yes, but with the Rumble still 3 weeks away, it's entirely possible that the rumors of a fatal fourway featuring Miz, Orton, Morrison and King could still come to fruition.

Shadrick
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
I got your fruition right heaaaaa *grabs crotch*

Snowden
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
With the way they're doing Morrison's push, I'd bet he'll enter the Rumble at #10 or so and stick around until the final four, with the announcers playing up his resiliency, determination, etc without having to give him a gigantic victory (which he's probably not ready for).

He's gotta be the odds on favorite to win MITB though, and I see him winning his first title that way. They'll either keep him a face and book him surprisingly strong, or go full on asshole Hollywood heel.

jskinnyg
01-07-2011, 12:00 PM

I am with supreme, but that said, the match with the Miz on Raw was badass... Just save it for the future and let the Miz keep the belt a few more months... His heat is AWESOME.....