PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen a bad DDP match (Appreciation Thread)

Rollermacka
01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I've been in a DDP mood reciently after watching the DDP vs Macho Man match off the MAcho Man DVD. They were two great preformers that put on one hell of a match (you dont even think about the fact that both men were in their 40s at that point) DDP is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time and I hate the fact that he had such a horrible run of gimmick in WWE. One of my favorite matches of his is the one that really hurt WCW, not because of the match itself but because the PPV ran long. Has anyone ever seen a bad DDP match? (where he was really botchy and didnt preform well?) What are some of your favorite moments from the King of Badabing?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYpf0q5MgcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYpf0q5MgcE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fmiNGkZ4uu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fmiNGkZ4uu0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

One HELL of a reaction when he revealed himself (and JR makes a Dick Tracy referance)
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEY4DJs6II0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEY4DJs6II0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Razzamajazz
01-04-2011, 03:07 PM
i really miss crowd reactions like the one in the last video

glanville6
01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
I like DDP. Always very energetic. And yeah, while he may have not been used well in WWE, the fact that they actually used a guy in his mid 40's was pretty cool. Its unfortunate he had to finish out on B and C shows, but by doing that he proved his love for the business.

And if nothing else, he got a win at Wrestlemania for the European Belt against Christian, so..it could have been worse in WWE for D D P.

Rammsteinmad
01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
DDP probably would have fared well on Smackdown with the brand split, but I think he was released in the early stages of the split.

glanville6
01-04-2011, 03:26 PM
DDP probably would have fared well on Smackdown with the brand split, but I think he was released in the early stages of the split.

He was on Velocity

Rammsteinmad
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Ouch. :(

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know why, but I loved his heel turn in WCW.

Loved the Jersey Triad too.

glanville6
01-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I think his last WWE match was a draw with Hardcore Holly on Velocity. He was on the Smackdown brand, but what I remember most from it is him being on stage with the rest of the Velocity superstars watching Mark Henry lift up trucks and cars. Don't know if he ever made it on Smackdown.

D Mac
01-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah I've seen one. Where he teamed up with Jay fucking Leno?

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6296/roleplaystartkh8.png

Aguakate
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm not a fan of his in-ring work as much as his mic work and his personna...

...but that's just me.

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Yeah I've seen one. Where he teamed up with Jay fucking Leno?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/DDP_KarlMalone_Mail0021.jpg

When he teamed up with Karl Malone it was a five star match, though. :y:

whiteyford
01-04-2011, 04:33 PM
I always liked how the hyped up the Diamond Cutter, he could hit it from anywhere, mid jackhammer etc. Plus awesome entrance music.

Emperor Smeat
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

He would have also fared better without the wife stalker gimmick although it was a great move to have him start a feud with a big-name wrestler (Undertaker) since he was a big-name WCW wrestler.

Sixx
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/keMz1rAUlIc?fs=1&amp;hl=pl_PL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/keMz1rAUlIc?fs=1&amp;hl=pl_PL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
lol at him spazzing out after hitting the Diamond Cutter.

Fox
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Favorite DDP Moment #1: DDP versus Raven versus Chris Benoit for the US Title at Uncensored 1998
- I know I keep plugging this 10+ year old match on these forums, but if you haven't seen it, youtube that shit right now because it is seriously one of the greatest triple threat matches I've ever seen - possibly on par with HHH/HBK/Benoit from WM20. First time I ever saw a three-man German suplex (you have to see this to believe it). DDP played the underdog and got thrown threw the Uncensored sign, but literally crawled back to the ring on his hands and knees before delivering a Diamond Cutter through a table on Raven to walk away with his title. Easy 5 stars.

Favorite DDP Moment #2: The Chairman and the Macho Man
- DDP was in the midst of an epic feud with the nWo and specifically Macho Man Randy Savage. Savage had been getting the better of Page, and one night on Nitro, Macho comes out to the ring to face La Parka. La Parka comes out and they start wrestling back and forth. Savage comes off the top rope for the Elbow Drop, but La Park gets his feet up in Macho's face, gets up and delivers the Diamond Cutter! He covers for the 1-2-3 and pulls off the mask to reveal it's really DDP. Crowd goes nuts.

Favorite DDP Moment #3: DDP is nWo
- The nWo was just getting hot and were on a mission to pull new recruits. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash called DDP out to the ring to give them a yes or a no, offering him a t-shirt. Page looks around at the audience, then takes the shirt and the crowd starts to boo. Hall and Nash give him the Wolfpack sign. Hall goes to shake DDP's hand, but he pulls him in for the Diamond Cutter instead. BANG.

Favorite DDP Moment #4: A Gigantic Trap
- Bret Hart and DDP were embroiled in a feud over the US Title. An injured Hart, while still the champion, was forced to defend or give up his US Title on Nitro against DDP. Hart walks down to the ring and says he's hurt but he'll still fight DDP. Page comes out onto the Nitro stage, but suddenly The Giant comes from behind and clotheslines him to the ground. Giant tears the first W and the C off the stage, steps up onto it with DDP, and Chokeslams him down through the stage to the floor. Bret gets away with it, saying he was GOING to defend his title before this happened. Amazing moment and made me hate Bret Hart and want to see DDP kick his ass even more.

Rammsteinmad
01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
I think his last WWE match was a draw with Hardcore Holly on Velocity. He was on the Smackdown brand, but what I remember most from it is him being on stage with the rest of the Velocity superstars watching Mark Henry lift up trucks and cars. Don't know if he ever made it on Smackdown.

I remember this match, couldn't remember if it was Smackdown or Velocity though. If I recall, they kept brawling outside the ring which led to a draw/double DQ, and I had hopes that he'd actually get a program with someone (even if it is Hardcore Holly). But no. :(

MoFo
01-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Hes had a shit load of terrible matches. Check around the time he & Rick Steiner were feuding with those 'Battledome' guys, the dude was horrific.

CSL
01-04-2011, 07:10 PM
He looked like shit in those baggy pleathers he was wearing in WWE.

DLVH84
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
What was interesting is he started wrestling at the age of 35 (although he started out as a manager three years earlier), and lasted as long as he did.

DDP is the REAL People's Champ (that's right, screw The Rock). He proved that anything can happen, if you put your mind to it. He always had a positive outlook, and worked real hard to get where he's at, from the bottom on up. Thank Magnum T.A. for giving DDP the idea to wrestle.

Sixx
01-04-2011, 07:23 PM
What was interesting is he started wrestling at the age of 35 (although he started out as a manager three years earlier), and lasted as long as he did.

DDP is the REAL People's Champ (that's right, screw The Rock). He proved that anything can happen, if you put your mind to it. He always had a positive outlook, and worked real hard to get where he's at, from the bottom on up. Thank Magnum T.A. for giving DDP the idea to wrestle.

The more you know.

Still not as good as Hiroku Migosawa or any other Japanese name you can make up.

Rollermacka
01-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Hes had a shit load of terrible matches. Check around the time he & Rick Steiner were feuding with those 'Battledome' guys, the dude was horrific.

I remember we talked about this before and I dont think there was ever a "match" between WCW and Battledome.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Damn thumbs up on the classic reaction!!!!

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
DDP planned out every move that he would do in the ring. So, I would say that he has a great memory and performed well. This is why I think he has done well in movies and in teaching people Yoga. It's about memorizing the poses and then doing them right each and every time.

I don't think he ever had the catch-as-catch-can style as other wrestlers who could just "wing" a good/great match together.