PDA

View Full Version : First Thoughts

Swiss Ultimate
01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
What were your thoughts when seeing various major wrestlers for the first time?

Examples: Austin, Mr. Perfect, The Rock, Hogan, David Arquette

Supreme Olajuwon
01-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought all of them were world champs. But I was wrong about Perfect.

Xero
01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Miz - Terrible, bad and wanted him off my television forever.

SaskatchewanChamp
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Shawn Michaels - A huge fucking homo.

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 05:59 PM
When Johnny Blaze first appeared as Bischoff's Assistant: "This guy can talk. I like him."

When I first saw a picture of Bryan Danielson: "THAT is Bryan Danielson? Dude looks like a complete weenie"

Randy Orton: "This kid is going nowhere"

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I ignored every single one of Alberto Del Rio's video packages before he debuted thinking "Great, another generic heel guy who probably isn't going to live up to his hype"

I started paying attention after he debuted and heard that he was actually supposed to be good, and that he was supposed to be "a big deal fairly quick".

CSL
01-04-2011, 06:02 PM
First time I saw Austin he had long blonde hair and tights covered in various coloured marks. My 7-8 year old self was still in awe of the spectacle of wrestling more than anything else. And it was round about that time I started to prefer the heels I guess I've always 'liked' him.

Ditto Perfect only at a slightly younger age. First time I saw him, he was wearing his orange singlet (I think) and helping The Genius beat Hogan by count-out and stealing the belt. Still in awe of the spectacle and not knowing who was a 'good' wrestler and who sucked.

The Rock I first saw in WWF magazine in the results section as I didn't have access to a lot of wrestling in 1996/1997 and kept up mostly through magazines. I remember thinking he had shit hair.

Hogan was the reason I became infatuated with professional wrestling. I knew it was 'fake' from the start (thanks Nan) so it's not like I was 'needing' him to win or something, I just pretty much wanted to be Hulk Hogan.

David Arquette in Scream. Couldn't believe Monica from Friends was playing with his balls but it didn't matter because Rachel was always hotter.

I have an hour or two to kill but I'm too lazy to think of any of my own.

Nicky Fives
01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
I thought Nathan Jones would become the star of the 2000's

Lock Jaw
01-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I thought Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas were both for sure gonna be huge superstars. Or, if not huge, at least be consistent high midcard, occasionally flirting with the main events.

MoFo
01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I remember thinking Rob Van Dam was the fucking man right from the start, same with Chris Jericho. Those are the only ones tho, even Lesnar wasnt a big deal to me at the time.

DLVH84
01-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Seeing Sting rise into superstardom, thanks to the 45-Minute draw with Ric Flair (March 1988)

Seeing a young Ricky Fuji start out in Stampede Wrestling in Calgary. (June 1988)

Seeing legit Soviet amateur wrestlers become professional wrestlers. (February 1989)

Seeing the only legit Soviet wrestler win a World title. (May 1989)

CSL
01-04-2011, 07:31 PM
lol fucking hell

Triple Naitch
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Better red than dead right, DLVH84?

Jeritron
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I thought Kurt Angle was boring and going to be a huge flop, like Mero or Severn or something.
That was after his debut match against Shawn Stasiak at Survivor Series 99. 2 months after that he was one of my favorites.

Supreme Olajuwon
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
DLVH84 is 45 years old.

YoungFlyFlashy
01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
What were your thoughts when seeing various major wrestlers for the first time?

Examples: Austin, Mr. Perfect, The Rock, Hogan, David Arquette

First time was when he was Stunning Steve the TV Champion in WCW, my favorite TV Champ of all time and always hoped he would be around longer and be big in wrestling.

Perfect, first time was with him being Mr. Perfect, one of my all time favorite heels, as a fan always wondered why he never got his World Title run, always thought he deserved it.

The Rock, when he was Rocky, my first thought was "give me a break, NEXT!"

Hulk Hogan, when he was into his All American hero mode, always hated Hogan because he took tv time away from Warrior.

David Arquette, I didn't know he was a major wrestler.

Nicky Fives
01-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I thought X-Pac would have been given a "Rey Mysterio-type underdog" WWF Title reign back in 1998

AKin3D
01-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Austin - He had Ted DiBiase as his manger, so I figured he was going to be something or fall flat in a few weeks.

Mr. Perfect - :love: :heart: :kiss: ...Why don't other wrestlers wrestle like him? He's so great, and the has a cute smile.

The Rock (As Rocky) - Well everyone else in the ring seems to be pumped about facing this guy. He's got some moves. I think he'll do fine.

Hogan - Why does everyone like him. Why does everyone like that stupid hand thing he does? Why is pointing and making stupid faces exciting to people? Macho and Warrior are so much better. Why isn't Perfect the champ?

David Arquette - WHY IS HE IN A WRESTLING RING?!

Miz - The Real World Guy made his dream come true. Bully for him.

Sting - Is that my old neighbor?

Chris Jericho - 11

Randy Orton - *sigh* Will he really be the next Rock?

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Rocky Maivia: "Ok, this guy looks goofy as hell, but he seems to have some talent.... now if only he would face someone who isn't The Sultan."

Jeritron
01-05-2011, 12:49 AM
The Sultan: "Ok, this guy looks goofy as hell, but he seems to have some talent.... now if only he would face someone who isn't Rocky Maivia."

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I always thought the Sultan would be a lot cooler if he wore a thong.

Aguakate
01-05-2011, 01:39 AM
First time I saw Austin was when he was "The Ringmaster", and I thought he was just another wacky gimmick that wouldn't amount to anything.

...I was right, "The Ringmaster" never amounted to anything...but Steve Austin went places.

Same for Rock...first time I saw Rocky Maivia, I was like "This guy's nothing"...

...then he got injured, came back, went heel, became "The Rock", and the rest is history.

That's why you never know who's going to be the next big star...it could be somebody we haven't heard of...it could be somebody we watch on RAW or Smackdown every week...you just never know...

...and that's ok...that's what's great about it.

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 02:00 AM
I remember the first time I saw John Cena and Randy Orton, when they both had that bland 'newbie' look with the plain trunks/shorts and generic entrance music, and just thinking how neither of them will become anything special in pro wrestling.

I also thought, when Sean O'Haire and Mark Jindrak debuted in WCW, that these two guys would both some day become huge stars in the wrestling industry. :foc:

Xero
01-05-2011, 02:01 AM
CM Punk - Hey guy... I guess. Yay... I guess.

Xero
01-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Nexus - HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE ATTITUDE ERA HAS RETURNED!

Aguakate
01-05-2011, 02:05 AM
We should've seen "The Rock" coming!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sux6JxKhGg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sux6JxKhGg8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRx57e54PGE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DRx57e54PGE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJqzVtWEQRM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VJqzVtWEQRM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Xero
01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, that honestly blows my mind, even though it shouldn't. That was "The Rock" right then and there.

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Dolph Ziggler: "lol what a jobber"

Then I saw his first match:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZV1NHwC0fE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lZV1NHwC0fE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And thought "Wow. That was actually very impressive. Pretty great in ring mannerisms, and they let him get in a fair amount of offense against Batista. He may just go places... only thing against him is that goofy name"

Wishbone
01-05-2011, 02:10 AM
Austin- Reason I started watching wrestling saw him stunner some poor bastard and imediatly thought "This guy is freakin' awesome!"

Mr. Perfect- First time seeing him was in WCW don't really remember who he was up against but didn't think much of him at the time, probably because I was like 7 and was more into the attitude era stuff and actual wrestling talent wasn't a big deal to me.

The Rock- First experiance was a match in which I remember hearing a "Rocky Sucks!" chant back when he was still a full on baby face. Didn't think much at the time of him.

Hogan- First time seeing him was in a movie can't remember which one... anyway first wrestling thing was when he was already in the nWo and I remember hating him.

David Arquette- One word, "Shit."

Randy Orton- Remember thinking "This guy looks cool."

The Miz- "EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

John Cena- Match with Kurt Angle and what to my knowledge his first WWF/E appearance. Thought he was just another meat head.

Chris Jericho- His WWF/E premeer was the first time I remember him fully but I'm sure at some point I saw him in WCW but to be honest I didn't like WCW much at the time and didn't really care about their stuff.

Eddie Guerrero- Remember loving him from day one, but can't really recall the actual first time I saw him.

Undertaker- Nearly crapped my pants.

Xero
01-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Brock Lesnar - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wishbone
01-05-2011, 02:14 AM
Nexus - HOLY FUCKING SHIT THE ATTITUDE ERA HAS RETURNED!

That was my exact reaction too :lol: too bad it didn't happen :'(

Aguakate
01-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Crazy thing about WCW Crusierweights, when you saw them, you were like "Huh, great wrestlers, awesome!"

But who would've thought that 3 of the Cruiserweights (Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio Jr and Chris Jericho) would become World Champions? That's pretty mindboggling.

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Austin: Wrestlemania 13 "This guy in there with Bret is pretty good!", Post Mania 13 "Everything Bret says about this guy is true. I'm with Bret!", Post Bret-Feud "Mehhhh". Going backwards to watch Stunning Steve: "Wow, I like him a lot more like this!"

Wishbone
01-05-2011, 02:20 AM
CM Punk- My first reaction to him was actually. "Hey he likes pepsi too!" I'm not even joking when I saw his tattoo that was the first thing that came to my mind....

Dolph Ziggler- I actually recognised him from the spirit squad right off and was totally against him from that point on. His name just helped to further that hate.

Jack Swagger- "He'll never be anything."

Sheamus- See Jack Swagger.

Evan Bourne- "This guy is awesome! He'll be ECW champ in no time!"

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 02:24 AM
CM Punk: "Ok. Don't see why all these internet people are all over him." Thought that pretty much up until his heel turn.

RVD: First saw him in WWE. "Pretty cool" followed by "Ok... I've had enough of him" followed by "Grrrrr. Hate this guy and how everyone loves him"

The One
01-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Going off of your examples...

Austin - Another generic worker. I was kind of shocked they gave him the TV belt as soon as they did, and I certainly didn't care about the Dangerous Alliance in any form of fashion as a kid. To me it just reeked of trying to be the Horsemen but not being it. I really didn't start paying attention to him until the Hollywood Blondes.

Perfect - He was already fairly over by the time I started regularly fallowing WWF, so I kind of went along for the ride with him. He certainly was a good wrestler, I remember that from the get go, and then when he was Ric Flair assistant, he won me over. (My markish reactions have a direct line to the vicinity of all things Flair)

Rock - You look stupid. TOTAL shock he was the sole surviver. Figured he was tight with someone backstage...I was VERY hard on Rocky, all through both IC runs, during Corporate Rock, clear on through until probably late in 2000. I was not a Rocky fan, now I love him and am baffled as to why I didn't like him, maybe as a fan I always felt he was pushed too high too fast, I don't know...

Hogan - The exact thought I had after my first Hogan match "I don't know what anyone sees in you, you suck, I will never watch WWF again." I had mad a wager with my friend Sean, he would watch a tape I had of Ric Flair and I would watch a tape of Hulk Hogan and we'd see who was better as neither of us had ever been exposed to the other program...I maintain to this day I picked the right pony all along.

Arquette - "Oh god, he's jumping the fence...this is going to be embarrassing no matter what happens. PLEASE don't half ass a bump..." (even I had no idea they would put their fucking World Belt on him less than two weeks later.)

Aguakate
01-05-2011, 02:26 AM
...Who would've thought she was going to be Smackdown GM?!

...and one of the best ones, at that...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIVqi6ifmbY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIVqi6ifmbY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2hiXFFuat8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2hiXFFuat8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The One
01-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Here's a list of a few "Boy was I wrong..." snap judgements I made.

Kane - Cool entrance bro, it's a shame you'll end up like UnderFaker and be gone before the year is up...

Nathan Jones - Future World Champ right there.

Brock Lesnar - He'll be lucky if he gets a run with the IC Belt.

The Miz - Bob Holly is creaming his pants at the idea of stiffing this dude only so McMahon can release him to the indies...

Dean Malenko - Holy CRAP! This guy is the shit! People are going to be lining up to watch this dude for years!!!

dhellova guy
01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
I absolutely HATED Chris Jericho when he first hit the scene in WCW. I thought he was a Shawn Michaels rip off. It wasnt until he turned heal that I started to like him.

I also thought that the Hunchback tag team was going to get over, but then again, I was like 8 or something.

Rollermacka
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Hogan- (it was the mid 90s) Oh man, theres no way I'll ever get tired of this guy

Yokozuna- thats a HUGE man

Rocky Maivia- this guy is kinda bland, he doesnt really have great mike skills

Ringmaster Steve Austin- see Rocky

Razon Ramon- He'll be a multi time world champion and go down in history

David Otunga- They should have gotten 12 Pack from that first season of I love New York instead :shifty:

RiX1024
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Hogan - heard a lot about him before watching wrestling, thought yeah i should back this guy.

Steve Austin - Same as Hogan.

Undertaker - Holy fck he's creepy

Big Show - Man he's massive

Brock Lesnar - This guy is going to be a monster.

Chris Jericho - Who the fck is he? (i was unaware of him when i started watching wrestling)

Billy Gunn - Why do they call him Mr. Ass?

The Miz - Mike the Miz will always be that mid-carder with great mic skills.

Randy Orton - Future World Champion.

Kurt Angle - Hulk Hogan with wrestling skills.

Jack Swagger - Poor man's Kurt Angle.

Rey Mysterio - Hahahahaahahaha he's so tiny.

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Evan Bourne: I first saw him after he got drafted to RAW and thought "Ok, this guy seems talented... but why the hell is he on THIS show? He's just going to go nowhere fast and will probably get released."

Goldust: "WTF is this? ......... I am oddly intrigued"