PDA

View Full Version : You know what cliche I hate the most about horror movies?

Fignuts
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
When at the end, the villain gets shot, burned, and thrown off a cliff, but right before the credits, he inexplicably pops out of the closet.

Honestly ruins some movies for me because A.) it makes no sense, and B.) It's been done so many times, that it is beyond lame at this point.

Just want to watch horror movies where the villain is fucking dead at the end.

PorkSoda
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
You're not the only one who thinks that.

Also, I hate the horror (slasher) movies where the killer is one place, and then magically appears somewhere else a few seconds later. Does he have a secret passageway from place to place?

Vox Populi
01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I hate when writers and directors feel compelled to write really forced dance scenes for either John Travolta or Cameron Diaz.

In fact, I could probably do without Cameron Diaz altogether, and Travolta's only a few great roles away from being in the same ballpark.

Razzamajazz
01-05-2011, 03:22 AM
i hate how there's rarely any more than a minute overall of nudity or a girl getting pounded

Sixx
01-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Knock down the villain (with a lamp preferably), don't finish him off, lock yourself in a bathroom with no other way out instead.

VSG
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Remember Paranormal Activity 1? The whole film built up to that moment which was what lame friends sent you the youtube links to for over a couple of years now :n:

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Pretty sure this has been in some Friday the 13th movies, and it kinda echoes what PorkSoda said, but I hate when someone is running away from the bad guy, and the bad guy is just walking. You'd think 'okay, that person is running, they should be out of harms way in no time'. So then they start coz they're out of breath, huffing and puffing, when the camera will show someone creeping up behind them and BAH GAWD it's the killer!

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Who is still walking, I should add.

Sixx
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Who is still walking, I should add.

And then comes what I explained in my post.

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the person who was running away gets brutally murdered.

But it could easily go your way too.

Sixx
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the person who was running away gets brutally murdered.

But it could easily go your way too.

My way is for the main character.

Yours is for the rest of the cast.

Fignuts
01-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Also, could never really get into scream, because come on, it's just a dude with a knife. He's not even really good at it. He's always tripping over stuff. Dude ever tried to kill some one who knew karate, his shit would be ended.

You don't even need karate. You know how that movie ends in real life? Swift kick in the nuts. That's how.

Fignuts
01-05-2011, 12:53 PM
ooooo that's another thing I hate. And this is always with female characters. She will somehow knock the villain down, his weapon leaving his hands in the process, and then she just runs away. It's like, "JUST FINISH HIM YOU STUPID CUNT". Because there is always like a bonesaw, or sledgehammer lying around in these scenes, but moron decides she wants to just run away some more.

Sixx
01-05-2011, 01:23 PM
ooooo that's another thing I hate. And this is always with female characters. She will somehow knock the villain down, his weapon leaving his hands in the process, and then she just runs away. It's like, "JUST FINISH HIM YOU STUPID CUNT". Because there is always like a bonesaw, or sledgehammer lying around in these scenes, but moron decides she wants to just run away some more.

Yeah, pretty much what I said in my first post.

The whole running away usually ends in a bathroom/wardrobe with no other way out.

Nowhere Man
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
'Psychological' thrillers have gotten pretty boring at this point, because 99% of the time it ends up being that the main character was the killer all along, even if it makes absolutely no sense for them to be.

Buzzkill
01-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Remember Paranormal Activity 1? The whole film built up to that moment which was what lame friends sent you the youtube links to for over a couple of years now :n:
This was the only horror movie I have enjoyed in a long time

Lock Jaw
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Gonna make a horror movie where the villain inexplicably ends up in the audience. Like hire an actor, who sneaks in while it is dark. Near the end of the movie, the lights suddenly turn on in the theater and the villain starts yelling "WHERE AM I?!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR"

Fignuts
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
This was the only horror movie I have enjoyed in a long time

There havn't been many.

Descent was really good. I enjoyed The Ruins as well.

I liked splice, but I don't know if that should count. I liked it because it wasn't what I was expecting, and was more of a mindfuck type movie than straight horror.

Strangers was good, but I hate it because the villains got away. That's more of a pet peeve though, tbh.

Fignuts
01-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Gonna make a horror movie where the villain inexplicably ends up in the audience. Like hire an actor, who sneaks in while it is dark. Near the end of the movie, the lights suddenly turn on in the theater and the villain starts yelling "WHERE AM I?!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR"

That's actually a really great idea.

Fignuts
01-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Also, I know it's not popular opinion, but I liked the grudge. Mainly for that feeling of utter hopelessness, that wherever you go it can get you.

thedamndest
01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Making the bad guy superhuman also makes the movie less believable. If you're going to fire 10 rounds into the guy's chest and he's just going to pop up for six sequels what's the point? It isn't scarier that he's unkillable. In fact it's more predictable.

Sixx
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Making the bad guy superhuman also makes the movie less believable. If you're going to fire 10 rounds into the guy's chest and he's just going to pop up for six sequels what's the point? It isn't scarier that he's unkillable. In fact it's more predictable.

Yeah, I was thinking that.

Like another time Jason shows up they should all be like "Oh, cmon. You again? Which part of fuck off don't you understand?"

Jeritron
01-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Also, could never really get into scream, because come on, it's just a dude with a knife. He's not even really good at it. He's always tripping over stuff. Dude ever tried to kill some one who knew karate, his shit would be ended.

You don't even need karate. You know how that movie ends in real life? Swift kick in the nuts. That's how.

Scream isn't really supposed to be entirely serious though. If you hate this cliches, I think you'd enjoy revisiting Scream and watching for how it dissects and shits on them.
I think the killer being a clutz is sort of a running gag. I kinda like that he's not superhuman. It's not like people who prey on women are true badasses.

Jeritron
01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
My favorite cliche is everytime there's a scene involving a morgue, the coroner is comfortably eating.
He'll just be sloppily eating a sandwich or bag of chips and be perfectly comfortable putting it down on the dead body while he writes something, and then resuming.
They're trying to tell us that this guy is so desensitized to death that he can pig out in the company of corpses.
It happens in so many movies though.

Sixx
01-06-2011, 05:04 AM
My favorite cliche is everytime there's a scene involving a morgue, the coroner is comfortably eating.
He'll just be sloppily eating a sandwich or bag of chips and be perfectly comfortable putting it down on the dead body while he writes something, and then resuming.
They're trying to tell us that this guy is so desensitized to death that he can pig out in the company of corpses.
It happens in so many movies though.

Not only movies, too.

Probably in like 7000 episodes of CSI.

Jeritron
01-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Murders in the Rue Morgue

Raven Reaper
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Anyone seen Feast 2 and 3?

These scenes are sooo stupid I ended up LOLed. Seriously. Except with the baby scene.. FUUUUCKKKK.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpKBTTv1lgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpKBTTv1lgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMj9AXDLrjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMj9AXDLrjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

VSG
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Those Japanese movies are the only ones off late to truly scare me. Still get chills about movies like Audition. A pity they pile up the gore in the end, but the thriller aspect is retained for a long time.

Fignuts
01-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Anyone seen Feast 2 and 3?

These scenes are sooo stupid I ended up LOLed. Seriously. Except with the baby scene.. FUUUUCKKKK.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpKBTTv1lgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpKBTTv1lgs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMj9AXDLrjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMj9AXDLrjo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I HAVE to see these movies. Please god be on netflix.

screech
01-07-2011, 01:10 AM
Strangers was good, but I hate it because the villains got away. That's more of a pet peeve though, tbh.

That movie is made creepier by the fact that it is entirely possible.

(I know it was based on a true story, but you know what I mean.)

Don't wanna go to a secluded cabin anytime soo...ever.

screech
01-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Also I agree with you. I'd like to see a villain stay dead.

Makes me think of the scene from Scrubs where JD hides in a body bag to try to leave and the intern, Doug, starts hitting him: "Dead people are supposed to be dead!"

D Mac
01-07-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm with you there Figs. Not surprised they did it in both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots.

Emperor Smeat
01-07-2011, 02:01 AM
How about anytime there is a minority or a black guy as part of the group, they usually are either the 1st ones killed off or get the worst type of kill.

Scary Movie 2 had a scene where this was made fun of (the part where they split up into 2 groups).

Jeritron
01-07-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm with you there Figs. Not surprised they did it in both Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots.

You shouldn't be, since they did it in the originals, more or less

Jeritron
01-07-2011, 02:22 AM
How about anytime there is a minority or a black guy as part of the group, they usually are either the 1st ones killed off or get the worst type of kill.

Scary Movie 2 had a scene where this was made fun of (the part where they split up into 2 groups).

Deep Blue Sea parodies this in both directions. Pretty funny

Sixx
01-07-2011, 04:39 AM

Dude, this ended in like 80s.

Now the minorities are usually the ones to survive.

Droford
01-07-2011, 06:56 AM
I HAVE to see these movies. Please god be on netflix.

The original Feast is actually really good, I have no idea what the hell they were thinking on 2 and 3 though.

Fignuts
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
looks ike they were thinking BABALITY!

ooTin
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Oh my god that baby scene....... was AWESOME!!!!!!

Hanso Amore
01-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, black dude always dying went away.

And it is usually a Rapper like Ice Cube or Busta Rhymes that lives.

Raven Reaper
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
The original Feast is actually really good, I have no idea what the hell they were thinking on 2 and 3 though.

Yeah and it surprises me that the director of the 1st feast is also the same guy that made 2 and 3!!!

And, one of the youtube comments say that the 1st one was serious then the director was thinking, "FUCK IT, LET'S HAVE A COMEDY CAMPY STUPID HORROR FLICK THAT'LL LOLZ pure gold."

I read in some article that baby's real biological father in real life is the director HIMSELF!!!

Stickman
01-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Ever notice when the female is running away from the villain she finds a way to trip over something? Dumb bitches.

MoFo
01-10-2011, 12:23 PM

However if said weapon is a gun, and victim goes to fire it, there is never any bullets left.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
What horror movie cliche to I find the most annoying? Unnecessary sequels, prequels and reboots! OH MY!

Also renaming of the numbering of the movies randomly. Check the Angry Video Game nerd video on names of movies for further details.

Nightwing
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate this fast motion crap. Where they speed up a kill, or someone/something rushing to the screen. It looks so cheesy.

Raven Reaper
01-13-2011, 09:55 PM
^Or how about Gamer?

My Final Heaven
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
That Feast scene annoys me. If the lazy asses on the roof would've been ready WHEN HE SWUNG UP WITH THE BABY, they would've saved both. The black guy had to be ready with his "Awww yeah, Dass funneh, yo." one-liner tho.

I guess that's one of my pet peeves - If you're a black guy in a Horror movie, even if you're welldressed in a suit, you need to sound like fucking Flavor Flav when you talk.

Fox
01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Have not seen a good horror movie in God knows how long. I think "The Ring" is the last one to scare me, and I was like 14 and super stoned when I saw it, so it was just a mind fucker. But "Paranormal Activity" didn't do shit for me, and I watched it alone in a hotel room with all the lights off. Pretty meh. Parts of Blairwitch 2 freaked me out as a kid, but that movie is terrible. The Descent was a great movie, but I wasn't scared.

Now it's all super clean, special effects laden bullshit like the NOES, Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw massacre crap that we get that give horror a bad name. When will someone do something truly new and innovative to scare the audiences?