PDA

View Full Version : OK, when did you learn...

Innovator
01-05-2011, 11:06 AM
That wrestling wasn't a shoot? Someone fuck up a move mid match, friend tell you, how did it happen?

OKGO

VSG
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
From TPWW.net :'( :'(

Anybody Thrilla
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
My mom told me when I saw Brian Pillman bleeding in a match back in WCW. "You know that's ketchup, right?"

Jeritron
01-05-2011, 11:16 AM
I knew before I started watching, actually

Innovator
01-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I was at a show at the Garden, I remember people telling me it wasn't real and being in denial.

Then Savio Vega vs. Owen Hart came on, Savio ran into the ropes, Owen ducked for the back body drop, Savio hooked the rope and kicked the air missing Owen by at least 3 feet. Owen sold it. BAM. Couldn't deny it any longer.

CSL
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
My lovely 'Nan' told me on Christmas Day 1990 maybe while I was watching my brand spanking new Hulk Hogan video which lead to my Mother wishing death upon her. It's one of my very first wrestling related memories.

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Around 2000 actually, I was about 12/13. Use to get in arguments with people at school coz they use to say 'wrestlers get paid to lose', of course I was having none of it.

Trying to keep the kayfabe flame alive. :y:

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh yeah, also with that lame 'The Secrets of Pro Wrestling: Revealed!' program that aired on TV that practically the entire world and their grans watched it.

Although I probably knew about it before the year 2000, really can't remember. But I do remember the year 2000 being when it really 'clicked' with me, and I knew what was going on.

Cool King
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
:'(

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/03LsMmM0lFs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/03LsMmM0lFs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/usUV7hnUNQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/usUV7hnUNQU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lqVatzLgXOE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lqVatzLgXOE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnP67hvkR9Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hnP67hvkR9Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AyhrBfTAqdY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AyhrBfTAqdY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cool King
Well, that's my joke ruined.

Thanks, Rammsteinmad. :wavesad:

Rammsteinmad
That's the one! Damn that Skull Duggery!

Edit: :p

Xero
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not 100% sure on it but I do remember a thing on TV where Captain Lou took a lie detector test or something and said it was fake.

I don't think I ever took it as real or fake, though. It was just kind of "there". I think I knew they were preforming but I also knew there were risks involved. I never really thought about it when I first started wrestling.

RiX1024
01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
I was aware that wrestling was kayfabed before i watched it (i hate the word fake though). The pro wrestling secrets show explained it more to me. Still I enjoy watching it.

Evil Vito
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Basically everyone in my family went out of their way to tell me that it was staged when they found out I was watching. Wanted to ensure I didn't try any moves at home or anything.</font>

Xero
01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
When I went to the Royal Rumble with my grandfather in 2008 (yes, three years ago) I was ranting about Cena always winning and he asked if I knew it was fake. :'(

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I've always said 'Wrestling's not fake, it's scripted'.

However, that show (good nostalgia there) is pretty retarded at times. The bookers handing out signs? The mic under the ring? The 'sell-job'?

:lol:

Supreme Olajuwon
01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
My uncle was a huge wrestling fan and we used to talk about it a bunch. My aunt hated it though and was always like "you're still talking about that fake crap?" This was probably around 1990 or so.

Xero
01-05-2011, 12:11 PM

However, that show (good nostalgia there) is pretty retarded at times. The bookers handing out signs? The mic under the ring? The 'sell-job'?

:lol:

They do hand out signs and they do mic the ring...

MoFo
01-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Triple H v Shawn Michaels on Raw in 1997.

Basically the fingerpoke of doom for the European title.

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 12:25 PM
They do hand out signs and they do mic the ring...

What really? Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? I've been to a fair amount of WCW and WWE shows over the years and I've never seen anyone handing out signs. And nobody ever has signs in indy feds (at least ones I've been to).

As for the mic... ok no idea here, just always seemed retarded to me.

Xero
01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
That show obviously over-does the portrayal of the signs being handed out. It does happen, but not that often.

As for the ring being miked, yeah. Most rings are miked so it amplifies the sound and so it comes off better on TV. That's why when you're watching some shows (not WWE anymore) the ring sounds too loud or too soft.

Haze
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Wait!

Wrestlings fake?!

Innovator
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
When I went to the Royal Rumble with my grandfather in 2008 (yes, three years ago) I was ranting about Cena always winning and he asked if I knew it was fake. :'(

You see when Cena's music hit, my friends and I got up to the exits cause we knew what was gonna happen.

Mr Amazing
01-05-2011, 12:45 PM
summerslam 2005 when micheals oversell basically all of hogan moves and then my mom told me that it was fake

Sycophant
01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I was watching a live show and Undertaker was using the tombstone on someone insignificant. Anyway, the other guy's head didn't come anywhere close to the mat and he sold it that he was out cold. During the same match, Undertaker threw this guy into the ropes and you could quite plainly hear him say "grab the ropes." sure enough, the other wrestler grabbed the ropes and stopped himself.

Xero
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwamCFdjGXM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

loopydate
01-05-2011, 01:31 PM
I was probably 12/13, watching Shawn Michaels vs. Vader at Summerslam, and I realized that I could predict - almost move-by-move - how the rest of the match was going to play out. I just... figured out the pattern, I guess, then realized the choreography of it all.

The One
01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Before I ever watched a single match I knew it was fake. As a child my friend Andrew got me into wrestling with old NWA tape, and since all I heard about it was that it was fake, I was shocked that it looked like they made contact with one another. I had assumed it was all smoke and mirrors and no one ever even touched one another. So in a way, I was instantly shocked at how it, in a manner of speaking, wasn't fake.

...but I never for a single second thought that any of it was unscripted. Again as I gained more knowledge about the industry I was shocked that each match wasn't rehearsed and planned out move for move and that it was much more of an improv performance. Same too can be said for promos.

I guess I'm kind of the anti-wrestling fan. I came into it thinking it was all 100% fake and scripted and learned to appreciate just how real it really was.

Cool King
01-05-2011, 01:38 PM

I still say that when people think I'm retarded and ask me "You know it's fake, right?" and so on.

I sometimes say "choreographed" instead of "scripted" though.

Xero
01-05-2011, 01:40 PM
The same people who put you down for watching wrestling watch reality shows, and believe they're real.

Lara Emily
01-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I honestly don't remember when I found out. The same goes for Santa, Tooth Fair, Easter Bunny whatever, I just figured it out on my own and that was that, no big cataclysmic moment at all.

whiteyford
01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Always knew, it was just getting really big in here '91 and we were only about 10, but we all knew. None of us could work out exactly how it was staged though.

And i still get guys at work going on about how its fake, but won't believe the bloods real because in boxing they stop if someone gets cut:eek:

Rammsteinmad
01-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Y'know I fucking hate when people are really ignorant about pro wrestling in an arrogant way. Like, if someone legit doesn't know and they say like 'it's fake isn't it?' or 'Oh, how do they do that?' I'm cool with it, but then you get these stupid fuckers who refuse to accept any of the stuff about the actual moves and how they hurt, and ignorantly put down EVERY comment with a 'it's fake'.

Any time people say this I challenge them to come to training for a day, which I'll pay for. of course they refuse, and then get all bitchy like 'why would I want to come to training with you? To play with other men?'. Fucking pussies. Would probably cry taking a back bump. :foc:

chrisat928
01-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Jake's king cobra GNAWING on Savage's arm and Savage living.

Grablot
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
I knew it was fake the minute I started watching when one of my buds introduce me to it. I mean it dont take a genius to figure out that it aint real when u see guys allow themselves to be power bombed and Austin running around beating up his own boss.

But that dont mean I didnt like it, movies r fake too, its all entertainment!

Cool King
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
but then you get these stupid fuckers who refuse to accept any of the stuff about the actual moves and how they hurt, and ignorantly put down EVERY comment with a 'it's fake'.

A friend of mine does that to me, but he does it in a joking way. He knows how wrestling works, and all that. Mostly because of me, but he just says it's fake and acts all ignorant about it to just wind me up.

He says the whole gay thing too but then I always throw his love of comics in his face by saying "Well, I find it pretty gay and also creepy how a rich muscly man in a tight leather/rubber catsuit runs around the streets at night alone with a little boy in shorts.". :lol:

It's all fun.

dhellova guy
01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Its still real to me, dammit!

Actually, the final straw for me was when Vince got on Raw and gave his "Sports Entertainment" speach. Up until then, I gentaly placed my fingers in my ears and ignored the people who tried to tell me it was a work.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Not entirely sure, but the first time this thread came up was a pretty big giveaway it was fake.

RiX1024
01-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I still say that when people think I'm retarded and ask me "You know it's fake, right?" and so on.

I sometimes say "choreographed" instead of "scripted" though.

I always say that wrestling is choreographed and rehearsed and real things do happen such as injuries, botches and wrestlers shooting. Therefore, wrestling is NOT fake.

parkmania
01-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I was 9 or 10, and my uncle (who owned a trucking company) told me that he had seen the good guys and bad guys at truckstops talking it up.

Jordan
01-06-2011, 01:45 AM
I finally accepted the truth with the knowledge that Secrets of Pro Wrestling had shown. I knew in my heart it was fake for several years but denied it because I loved believing in it.

Tazz Dan
01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
When I was about 7 or 8.

Swiss Ultimate
01-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Sisters told me. I was 26.

Xero
01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
You must have been devastated.