PDA

View Full Version : WWE Won't Hire Anyone Over 30?

Xero
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
From PWInsider:

In the last few weeks, PWInsider.com has heard of a number of older talents on the independent scene being told that World Wrestling Entertainment is now only seeking to hire talents under the age of 30, especially talents that would enter the promotion's developmental system.

While no one I've spoken to has noted it's been an official edict on record, I've heard of at least 3-4 different talents who have been told this in recent weeks when looking into potential work with the company.

Xero
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I think this is a bit ridiculous. Yes, they should focus on younger talent, but there are a lot of guys over and just around that age cap that would be great for WWE. They need long-term planning, but having veterans in their 30s come in is never a bad thing, as long as they aren't broken down.

St. Jimmy
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Well at least this will keep Batista away.

Razzamajazz
01-11-2011, 05:33 PM
isn't there a law prohibiting this exact thing?

Razzamajazz
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
or does the "independant contractor" thing have a loophole in it?

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Sounds like ageism to me. I'm sure they will find that kind of loophole to get away with it. Though I can see why it make sense if it is for developmental.

They don't want to spend the time and money to train somebody who probably only has a few years in them if they make the roster at all.

Loose Cannon
01-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I think this is a bit ridiculous. Yes, they should focus on younger talent, but there are a lot of guys over and just around that age cap that would be great for WWE. They need long-term planning, but having veterans in their 30s come in is never a bad thing, as long as they aren't broken down.

last night in the Raw thread I posted about how I liked Del Rio because he's been around the industry for a while and how he perfected his craft BEFORE he landed a contract with the E. Del Rio skipped developmental from what I understand and was a straight call up.

They could use more of him

BizarroKing
01-11-2011, 07:10 PM
This why they didn't contact Joe?

JimmyMess
01-11-2011, 07:18 PM
McMahon seems to strike me as a black or white kind-of-guy. Zero gray area... good guys super good, bad guys super slimy...

so do I believe this? Yes... do I think its crazy? Absolutely. Trying to establish new stars I guess.

DLVH84
01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like ageism to me. I'm sure they will find that kind of loophole to get away with it. Though I can see why it make sense if it is for developmental.

They don't want to spend the time and money to train somebody who probably only has a few years in them if they make the roster at all.

I believe WWE not hiring talent over 30 is bullshit and prejudiced.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I believe WWE not hiring talent over 30 is bullshit and prejudiced.

Yeah but so is TNA's policy of not hiring anybody other than people over 30 years. So, it evens itself out.

Next Big Thing
01-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Considering the fact that WWE hasn't made this a formal/ official policy I don't think there are any grounds for a lawsuit. Plus the law allows companies leeway to shape their workforce to a certain extent. I think it's a bigger deal if a company discriminates based on age, gender or race. Also, the WWE is an entertainment company where age and looks are crucial hiring factors.

I don't think a guy suing Hooters for not hiring him as a waitress would win a gender discrimination case just as I don't think a 70 year old saggy titted grandma would win an age discrimination lawsuit against Playboy for not using her pics.

DLVH84
01-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah but so is TNA's policy of not hiring anybody other than people over 30 years. So, it evens itself out.

That, too. I say have a balanced talent, young AND old, who can ACTUALLY WRESTLE. I believe choosing one side over another causes a backlash, which can be problematic. With a balanced talent, EVERYONE can enjoy great wrestling matches and a great show.

MoFo
01-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I doubt its true, they signed Joe Hennig, Del Rio, Batista and a few others when they were over 30. Depends on the talent I guess, if a guy is still agile and has star quality then it would be stupid to overlook them just because of a number.

Evil Vito
01-12-2011, 01:44 AM
last night in the Raw thread I posted about how I liked Del Rio because he's been around the industry for a while and how he perfected his craft BEFORE he landed a contract with the E. Del Rio skipped developmental from what I understand and was a straight call up.

They could use more of him

<font color=goldenrod>He wasn't a straight call up. He was in FCW for awhile as "Alberto Banderas". Not surprising though, the only people who skip developmental entirely now are people who got there through unusual circumstances (Colin Delaney got called in to be a jobber cause he was working down the street from the arena, WWE liked him, and gave him a TV spot immediately to get his ass kicked).

Danielson was offered the chance to go straight to TV but he willingly went down to FCW.

Pretty much everybody goes to development now. I'm sure Kong will wind up there too. She's 33 and was hired like two weeks ago...so I'm not sure if I buy this story.</font>

Jeritron
01-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I doubt this means they wouldn't bring in established veterans or talents from TNA or anything. This likely just means developmental and completely new blood.
I'm fine with it.

Jeritron
01-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Maybe this new policy will make some TNA talent like MCMG jump to WWE while they have the chance.
That's if WWE wants them. I don't see why not.

Honestly, if you're in TNA and have potential, and you're 27-29, and you hear about this new policy, you gotta be thinking all kinds of things. It would certainly make me question what I was doing there and feel a little bit more urgency.

According to this policy, though, WWE wouldn't take on Desmond Wolfe or Robert Roode if they had the oppurtunity. I have a hard time believing that. I don't think it applies to wrestling talent that's already on the map.
Clearly they would hire Kurt Angle or Brock Lesnar, etc.

Jeritron
01-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Dennis Stamp doesn't buy this one bit.

Honestly, putting Stamp on Tough Enough would be incredible. They fully should.

Rammsteinmad
01-12-2011, 05:26 AM
If this is true, this is exactly my point when I made a thread a few months ago about what worried me about the youth movement. Does this mean if your 31/32 you're too old?

Rammsteinmad
01-12-2011, 05:27 AM
I doubt its true, they signed Joe Hennig, Del Rio, Batista and a few others when they were over 30. Depends on the talent I guess, if a guy is still agile and has star quality then it would be stupid to overlook them just because of a number.

Batista was signed ten years ago, before there was such enthusiam for younger stars.

Droford
01-12-2011, 07:05 AM
It makes sense to me to not try and put 30+ year olds in developmental which is basically wasting the prime of a wrestlers career.

Swiss Ultimate
01-12-2011, 07:11 AM

Yeah but, I can totally see why they would do this. I'm surprised they're not requiring new guys to be single and childless as well.

Next Big Thing
01-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Yeah but, I can totally see why they would do this. I'm surprised they're not requiring new guys to be single and childless as well.

If one of the Divas got knocked up I wouldn't be surprised if they cut her either. No one wants to see Maryse in mom jeans.

WWE definitely has some shady employment practices but it's nothing that can be proven concretely.

Droford
01-12-2011, 09:27 AM
If one of the Divas got knocked up I wouldn't be surprised if they cut her either. No one wants to see Maryse in mom jeans.

WWE definitely has some shady employment practices but it's nothing that can be proven concretely.

Vince McMahon - But..but..I hired a 1 legged wrestler damnit!

Damian Rey
01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
It makes sense to try and keep the new recruits under 30 years old. That doesn't mean veterans won't come in and be signed to be used either. Del Rio is 33, and was signed in 2009.

I think another aspect that should be taken into consideration is how much mileage a guy has put on his body and what their health record is during their career.

A guy like DDP, who started late, also hit his prime late, but had nowhere near the wear and tear a guy of his age would normally had if he had started training/wrestling at a younger age.

DLVH84
01-12-2011, 10:49 PM

No wonder why Vince fired Dawn Marie.

Loose Cannon
01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Dennis Stamp doesn't buy this one bit.

LOL

FourFifty
01-13-2011, 12:19 AM
While they cannot legally say they're discriminating against age, they can hire younger people only if they feel like it.