PDA

View Full Version : Wow. LXG was awesome.

Kane Knight
12-18-2003, 03:10 PM
I finally saw the movie last night. That was, quite frankly, an excellent movie. Full of pulp-styled, action packed, extraordinary goodness.

I liked the way most of the people were portrayed, with the exception of Hyde. I liked the way Quartermain was done, especially. While I was skeptical of the whole "Agent Tom Sawyer" deal, I liked the character. I just wish he was as slick as his youthful counterpart.

The story was, for the most part, excellent. I disliked a few points at the end (Consider thsi a spoiler warning). First off, The revelation of who the Bad Guy really was. Much of the actions did not strike me as things Moriarty would do. In the end, he behaved almost nothing like Moriarty (In my opinion). Secondly, I dislike killing Dorian Gray. I liked the way he died, just not the fact that he died. Third, killing Quartermain? Uh uh. And even worse, if you're going to kill him, don't tease at a ressurection. Sorry, that was lame, even by Pulp standards.

I liked the fantastic accomplishments of Captain Nemo. I know a ton of people bitched about it, but Jules Verne had him with massive technological advancements, and that was without seeing what would actually come in time. Though I'm pretty sure they got the Nautilus wrong, but that's just a quibble.

I also like how Sawyer makes the team...:y:

Almost everything about this movie was good and fun though.

G
12-18-2003, 03:58 PM
Yeah I also watched the movie last night, and it was a great movie. :y:

SPOILER

I do hate the fact that he died, but if there's a sequel, i'm sure he'll be back. Considering of that whole "as long as he's in Africa, he can't die" deal.

END SPOILER

But all in all, it was a great movie. :cool:

Pete
12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
I also thought it was a good movie. With all the reviews it had I was expecting a train crash of a flick, but it was actually really good (Y)

Kane Knight
12-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah I also watched the movie last night, and it was a great movie. :y:

SPOILER

I do hate the fact that he died, but if there's a sequel, i'm sure he'll be back. Considering of that whole "as long as he's in Africa, he can't die" deal.

END SPOILER

But all in all, it was a great movie. :cool:

It was said that "Africa would never let him die."

The ending made a pretty strong hint at his return. That was part of the annoyance. You know, I didn't want him dead, but since they "killed" him, they shouldn't go resurrecting him. I liked the way they were kinda hinting at Sawyer as his successor. The idea of him trying to fill Allan's shoes was pretty cool, actually.

G
12-18-2003, 04:22 PM
It was said that "Africa would never let him die."

My sincere apologies senor :(

Champion of Europa
12-18-2003, 05:39 PM
I liked all the movie except the story, cause it was bull.

They try to stop a masked guy who wants a World War, they stop a bombing that was supposed to be the major thing really early in, then they figure out who the bad guy really is, the guy who the traitor was going to be was extremely obvious, and we didn't really get to know the big problem till the movie was nearly over.

The characters were great stuff though.

Vega
12-18-2003, 05:40 PM
Are you all serious? That movie was shitty. Crap plot, a few too many off the wall things, and a lot of it was boring. I never cared about any of the characters except for sean connery. The reviews for it were exactly right on IMO.

Champion of Europa
12-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Are you all serious? That movie was shitty. Crap plot, a few too many off the wall things, and a lot of it was boring. I never cared about any of the characters except for sean connery. The reviews for it were exactly right on IMO.

It wasn't a great movie by ANY means, I just enjoyed the characters.

Kane Knight
12-18-2003, 08:11 PM

Dude. It's pulp. Next thing you're gonna do is cry about how people can't srawl on walls, so Spider-Man was too "off the wall."

Kane Knight
12-18-2003, 08:14 PM
I liked all the movie except the story, cause it was bull.

They try to stop a masked guy who wants a World War, they stop a bombing that was supposed to be the major thing really early in, then they figure out who the bad guy really is, the guy who the traitor was going to be was extremely obvious, and we didn't really get to know the big problem till the movie was nearly over.

The characters were great stuff though.

I'm still not exactly sure how the story's bull. Wow. They didn't reveal something til the movie was nearly over. :|

The characters were all BUILT upon this kinda stuff, so it just seems ridiculous that you could like them extracted from the formula that made them.

Champion of Europa
12-18-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm still not exactly sure how the story's bull. Wow. They didn't reveal something til the movie was nearly over. :|

The characters were all BUILT upon this kinda stuff, so it just seems ridiculous that you could like them extracted from the formula that made them.

I liked their personalities. So I'd probably like books they were mostly based upon.

Also, I probably didn't like the story because I don't like stories where they having us go one direction the entire movie then give us something completely new we're supposed to care about for the last 30 minutes of the movie.

Kane Knight
12-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I liked their personalities. So I'd probably like books they were mostly based upon.

Also, I probably didn't like the story because I don't like stories where they having us go one direction the entire movie then give us something completely new we're supposed to care about for the last 30 minutes of the movie.

So you like linear plots. I feel sorry for you.

The LXG crew are largely based directly off the books they come from, but so are their exploits in a lot of cases. If your only problem is the total swerve, you might find the books more to your liking. On the other hand, you might not. It depends on how central your linear thinking is to your hatred of the story.

BTW, it's not like they dropped it on us suddenly. There were clues from the beginning of the movie (Masonic symbols, anyone?) as to the identity of M, both as the villain, and as James Moriarty. Just the tie to the villain alone is enough to have the plot make sense. Take the best of the best, try and destroy them in the guise of saving the world, take what makes them singularly unique in the process. That is so totally an awesome master plan.

Apocolyptik1
12-19-2003, 01:24 AM
Well, I also did not like the movie in the least. Common knowledge will give you a foresight on where all the characters were from. All of them being famous hereos/villians in renowned books. I myself know alot about most of the characters individually, but my problem lies with maybe the people who dont and didnt have the chance. The movie started out alright (not going to say bad or good). Characters were gracefully introduced, but my problem lies in how they actually never really told the stories of the characters. They never told you what was with Nemo's past, just that it was full of darkness and death. This also follows with some of the other characters. They built you up, just to let you down in the end. I did like however that the suprise villian was Moriarty. Other then that....wasnt worth my movie ticket price.

Triple A
12-19-2003, 01:25 AM
That movie is ****ing garbage.

I tried to watch it, but turned it off after about an hour of wanting it to end badly.

Vega
12-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Dude. It's pulp. Next thing you're gonna do is cry about how people can't srawl on walls, so Spider-Man was too "off the wall."

No, it was just a lot of silly stuff, even for a movie, and the movie was just pretty shit overall.

The Diva
12-19-2003, 03:45 AM
I personally loved it, waited for months/almost a year for it. Yes, it started out just because of Peta Wilson, but after seeing the trailers and then the actual movie, I just liked it all around. It's not some great work of art, but it's just as good as, if not better than most of the shit that everyone loves nowadays. The critics are just assholes anyway, Ebert & Roeper hated it, so what? These are the same guys that orgasm over a ****ing movie about migrating birds... ALL THEY DO IS FLY!

YOUR Hero
12-21-2003, 10:46 PM
I enjoyed it for what it was. Not something I'd watch again.

Champion of Europa
12-22-2003, 08:05 PM
So you like linear plots. I feel sorry for you.

The LXG crew are largely based directly off the books they come from, but so are their exploits in a lot of cases. If your only problem is the total swerve, you might find the books more to your liking. On the other hand, you might not. It depends on how central your linear thinking is to your hatred of the story.

BTW, it's not like they dropped it on us suddenly. There were clues from the beginning of the movie (Masonic symbols, anyone?) as to the identity of M, both as the villain, and as James Moriarty. Just the tie to the villain alone is enough to have the plot make sense. Take the best of the best, try and destroy them in the guise of saving the world, take what makes them singularly unique in the process. That is so totally an awesome master plan.

I still don't have the slightest clue who James Moriarty is.

I didn't read the books, and therefore hated the storyline. Bad Mitch. :nono:

Kane Knight
12-23-2003, 01:46 PM
I still don't have the slightest clue who James Moriarty is.

I didn't read the books, and therefore hated the storyline. Bad Mitch. :nono:

:lol: So you hated the story because you didn't read the books? Here I thought it was because you only like linear stories. Changing your story?

James Moriarty is the "Arch Nemesis" of Sherlock Holmes. The rebirth he mentions as this new individual comes from the "final" Sherlock Holmes story, in which Moriarty and Holmes plunged to their supposed mutual death.

Really, if lack of information is the only reason you're bitching, then you're the one to blame. You went into a movie that was based, in its entirety, around old pulp characters that are well-known and public domain. What did you expect, a half-hour backstory on each character, then for them to explain everything about another public domain (and famous) character, the archvillain?

That's funny. "OMGGGGGGGGGGG IT WUZ HORRIBEL BCUZ I DIDNT GET IT!!!! MOVEIZ SHULD BE DUMED DOWN & PANDER @ ME!"

I'll give you a hint, BTW. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? You'd hate it. It starts off looking for a squid. It turns out there's a Submarine involved! Jules Verne was such a dumbass for leading people to believe that the squid was the central focus of the book. :roll:

Sorry, you've given one of the most worthless arguments for why a movie is bad in the collected history of whiny bitches pissing about movies. :lol:

Champion of Europa
12-24-2003, 09:40 AM
:lol: So you hated the story because you didn't read the books? Here I thought it was because you only like linear stories. Changing your story?

James Moriarty is the "Arch Nemesis" of Sherlock Holmes. The rebirth he mentions as this new individual comes from the "final" Sherlock Holmes story, in which Moriarty and Holmes plunged to their supposed mutual death.

Really, if lack of information is the only reason you're bitching, then you're the one to blame. You went into a movie that was based, in its entirety, around old pulp characters that are well-known and public domain. What did you expect, a half-hour backstory on each character, then for them to explain everything about another public domain (and famous) character, the archvillain?

That's funny. "OMGGGGGGGGGGG IT WUZ HORRIBEL BCUZ I DIDNT GET IT!!!! MOVEIZ SHULD BE DUMED DOWN & PANDER @ ME!"

I'll give you a hint, BTW. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? You'd hate it. It starts off looking for a squid. It turns out there's a Submarine involved! Jules Verne was such a dumbass for leading people to believe that the squid was the central focus of the book. :roll:

Sorry, you've given one of the most worthless arguments for why a movie is bad in the collected history of whiny bitches pissing about movies. :lol:

I like linear plots when they are done well, and I like non-linear plots when they are done well. It was not done well in this movie.

I had no clue who Moriarty was, and assumed his name sake would've added an entirely new layer to the movie and would've magically made the movie good. Now that I've filled in the blanks, it hasn't.

Also, when someone disses a movies/music/political stances you like, must you always go straight for the netspeak when you know perfectly well that I and most others here do not type like that?

Kane Knight
12-24-2003, 01:41 PM
I like linear plots when they are done well, and I like non-linear plots when they are done well. It was not done well in this movie.

I had no clue who Moriarty was, and assumed his name sake would've added an entirely new layer to the movie and would've magically made the movie good. Now that I've filled in the blanks, it hasn't.

Also, when someone disses a movies/music/political stances you like, must you always go straight for the netspeak when you know perfectly well that I and most others here do not type like that?

Only when it suits the stupidity of the argument. :)

Joeleosis
12-27-2003, 03:27 AM
I watched bits and pieces of the movie, some good money was put into the special effects, good action. Plus it was entertaining to connect the characters to their counterparts in literature, even if its been a few years since I sat down and paged through the classics. I'll probably watch it on my own when I can rent it for free.

Anyway.. You'd be amazed at how many stupid ass customers will come up the counter asking for the movie with the wrong title, almost all of them do:

League Of Their Own
The League Of Men
The League Of *fails to pronounce Extraordinary properly* Men/Gentlemen
Leedge Of (insert various combinations mentioned above to match improper pronounciation of League)
The League Of Amazing Men
The League (fair enough though, its just abbreviated)
League Of Guys :|
The League Of Extra Special Men (LOL)

I mean, how fu</>cking hard is it to read the title off the big banner behind the counter? And don't get me started on the millions of assholes who bring up the display box instead of the actual product, because they're too damn nearsighted to read the big red label, "DISPLAY BOX" on the box itself.

dkjsadskla :rant:

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 02:11 PM
League of X-Men? :D

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Or they could just ask for LXG, the way it was advertised, but that would require brains.

Fryza
12-27-2003, 02:38 PM
League of Extra Special Men.

LOL.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 02:54 PM
"Ralph Wiggum, we want you to lead a team of unique individuals."

"This paste tastes funny."

Joeleosis
12-27-2003, 06:09 PM
hahaha

Yeahhhh I'm surprised none of them have confused it with X-Men yet. A lot of them ask for the movie with Sean Connery.

One time, this bitch was on the phone asking for a movie called, "Seen Callway" or some dumb shit like that. So I asked her how to spell the movie and she couldn't spell it. So then I was like, "Uh do you mean Sean Connery? He's an actor, not a movie."

"YEAH I WANT THE ONE WITH HIM, THE NEW ONE."

"Yeah all checked out. *hang up*"

'Tard.

Jason Cage
12-27-2003, 11:00 PM
that movie is ****ing trash

btw, lol @ shane west playing a superhero. i remember him in Get Over It. Lol.

Spider Woman
12-28-2003, 01:17 AM
I saw it in theaters, I absolutely loved it. I'm a big Stewart Townsend fan, so yeah....

Xen0ciDe
12-28-2003, 04:10 AM
Sean Connery was the only reason I watched that movie.. while I didn;t turn it off before the end, I would not suffer through it again.