PDA

View Full Version : The official country topic...

#1-norm-fan
04-26-2004, 04:39 AM
So I know there are like... 2 other people here who listen to country. This forum needs one all-around country topic. So here it is... post.

p.s. Most oddly placed sig... EVER

DaveWadding
04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Kenny Chesney sucks.

DaveWadding
04-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Discuss.

Eternalone79
04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Kenny Chesney is IMO the 2nd best country artist out now...next only to Toby Keith

Vastardikai
04-26-2004, 01:21 PM
if Kenny Chesney wasn't doing a Jimmy Buffett impression while showing off his pretty muscles, many of his fans wouldn't exist.

If Toby Keith wasn't pretending to be Patriotic to sell records, I might almost respect him.

For the Record, the best country artist out now is named Hank Williams III. Then again, I dislike MOST modern Country. The Old Stuff, hell yeah!

Eternalone79
04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
I heard Hank Williams III was suppossed to doin metal?

Vastardikai
04-26-2004, 11:18 PM
He does both. (unless he's stopped doing Country to spite Curb Records, which wouldn't surprise me)

DaveWadding
04-26-2004, 11:22 PM
yeah, Hank III has musical schizophrenia.

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Kenny Chesney sucks.

Alright... did you somehow know that I IDOLIZE Kenny Chesney and are just trying to F with me or are you serious?

Really... Kenny Chesney is the next Garth Brooks. He is THE man. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems is the greatest album I have ever heard.

DaveWadding
04-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Alright... did you somehow know that I IDOLIZE Kenny Chesney and are just trying to F with me or are you serious?

Really... Kenny Chesney is the next Garth Brooks. He is THE man. No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems is the greatest album I have ever heard.

He sucks.

Next Garth Brooks...

<marquee> :rofl: </marquee>

Downunder
04-27-2004, 02:29 AM
They all job to Alan Jackson

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 04:19 AM
Kenny Chesney right now > Garth in his prime... And I LIKE Garth Brooks.

But really, Kenny Chesney has never even released a bad single. Everything he does is GOLD.

As for Alan Jackson... he has kinda slipped off a little lately I think.

DaveWadding
04-27-2004, 12:21 PM
:lol:

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Kenny Chesney is IMO the 2nd best country artist out now...next only to Toby Keith
And since they both suck, that indicates the state of country music. :)

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Speaking of country bands doing metal, anyone heard "The Fools--Heavy Mental?"

The fools were told that country was out and metal was the way to go in the 80s, so they put this wonderout to poke fun at the notion...

Psycho Chicken--WHAT THE FU</>CK?

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 02:12 PM
OTOH, I did like Toby Keith's new single, "Let's go kill us some towelheads (It's the Amurrican way heeeeyuck)."

DaveWadding
04-27-2004, 07:11 PM

:y: I used to like Toby Keith when he first came out...but his neck has gotten rather red lately...what can I say?

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 07:24 PM
OTOH, I did like Toby Keith's new single, "Let's go kill us some towelheads (It's the Amurrican way heeeeyuck)."

That's MAYBE his best song ever. Highly underrated.

I've kinda come back down to earth as far as Toby Keith goes. Really... I'm hoping he's done with the patriotic songs. It's a little forced now. I do like his REAL new single though.

This however doesn't change the fact that Kenny Chesney is God's gift to music.

DaveWadding
04-27-2004, 07:40 PM

Amy Lee?

Disturbed316
04-27-2004, 07:52 PM
'Rap is Crap' is my favourite country song :y:

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 08:29 PM
'Rap is Crap' is my favourite country song :y:

The West Texas Rednecks version or the Shelton Benjamin version?

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 08:30 PM
Amy Lee?

Yeah she blows

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 08:56 PM
If God hates music.

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 08:58 PM
lol. Really. That means about as much as me going into a rock topic and telling everyone what bands I think suck. :nono:

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm certain that you know as much about rock as I know about country.

I'm sure you've been heavily exposed to rock music in your lifetime, and therefore can make a reasonably educated decision. And I'm sure that your music playlist regularly includes rock acts...

You know, since you're making a correlation that would require these things (As to compare yourself to me, you'd have to meet these requisite analogs).

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Amy Lee does blow. It's just that she's not blowing Ben Moddy anymore. :)

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:14 PM
I have "You Can Call Me Al" on my computer. :shifty:

My point is I have never heard you say anything positive about any country artist. Always negative. Therefore, what is there to compare your negative comments to?

Anyway, you say Kenny Chesney's popularity indicates the state of country music. What does that mean anyway? Country is in a good spot now. Kenny Chesney represents it just fine considering he is the man and all. :D

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Because your attention span is likely as long as this thread and nothing more. :y:

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
No, I didn't state that, please stop misquoting me, unless you get off on being so ignorant. :y:

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BOY BANDZ R DOING BETTR THEN EVER!!!!!!!!! IT MUST ALL FUKKIN RAWWWWWWWWWWWWK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Holy shi</>it, what are you on???

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:26 PM
About KC and Toby Keith

If that's what you mean... I actually quoted you almost perfectly.

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Aaah. The boy band thing. I see...

I never said Kenny Chesney's popularity is proof that he is great. He just happens to be both popular and deserving of his popularity, which is actually rare.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:29 PM
I didn't say their popularity indicated it. :p

English.

Take the Rebel flag and head out your ass. :D

Again, pop music must be awesome by your argument. Boy bands roxorz!

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:30 PM
The fact that I couldn't even tell you who the top ten country artists should tell you something...

DaveWadding
He's popular because of the girls who think he's "hawt"

Kane Knight
HEEEEEEEEEEYUCK!

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey WWF Fan! What do you call a group of 30 country fans?

A FULL SET OF TEETH! OMG!

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:33 PM
lol. Rebel flag. Nice random insult.

My argument is that Kenny Chesney is great whether he is the most popular artist in the world or playing in front of 20 people every night.

How that relates to pop music is beyond me.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Well, you brought popularity into it, you tell me.s

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:37 PM
... Jeff Hardy is the fu</>cking man.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:38 PM
Good one, skippy. :yes:

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:39 PM
You have tricked me into this argument. I am a beaten man.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Artist Detail: Swinging Steaks Classified as being: <TABLE class=framed width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=mp3header>Genre</TD></TR><TR><TD class=mp3line1>Country (http://www.listen-to.com/index.php?L2=,,wN1kTPklWZy5WZnZCbpFGdlRWZy5WZn1DW&)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Has been listened to recently by: <TABLE class=framed width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=mp3header>User</TD></TR><TR><TD class=mp3line1>kane_knight (http://www.listen-to.com/index.php?L2=,YjMx0DZpJXZzVnJslWY0VGZyV2c11DW&)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oh, but that doesn't count! :)

(Nor do other artists like the Stone Coyotes or Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer...)

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Nope. None of 'em

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Yup. That's what I thought. :yes:

They actually breed outside their own family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY CAN'T BE COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh boo-hoo. Write a song about it. Call it "The Angry... non Kenny Chesney fan... whos bitter cause bands he likes aren't mainstream".

WRITE IT.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I am.

Because no bands I like are mainstream. Glad your redneck intuition allows you to size people up.

#1-norm-fan
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
You again prove that your opinion on mainstream country artists means nothing. It takes a true redneck like me to fairly judge redneck music. And my expert redneck opinion: Kenny Chesney is a God amongst men.

Kane Knight
04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
:lol: asphyxy's already got the kvlt gimmick, but if you wanna just be another knockoff.

God among men...What does that mean to you? He kills negroes and Towelheads, or what?

BRB GONNA GO KILL MYSELF BCUZ U LIEK SHIT MUZIK :(:(:(:(:(

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:08 AM
YOU ARE A RACIST SIR!

BTW... 99.9% of today's rock sucks. You're confused.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah. I'm racist against rednecks. :lol:

I'm not confused. I don't drink as much as he does.

Wonder if you've ever heard any of today's rock. No, Linkin Park and Trust Co don't count.

DaveWadding
04-28-2004, 01:26 AM
I'm not confused. I don't drink as much as he does.

Of course not. He's Irish, you know.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah... only the bands that you like are considered "Rock" I guess. That prevents any arguments. I have to listen to rock almost ever damn day because that's all any of my friends listen to.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:28 AM
Of course not. He's Irish, you know.

RACIST!

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Though I'm half scottish/half native, so think about my massive alcoholic streak... ;)

DaveWadding
04-28-2004, 01:30 AM
Do you have vowel movements when you get smashed?

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Yeah... only the bands that you like are considered "Rock" I guess. That prevents any arguments. I have to listen to rock almost ever damn day because that's all any of my friends listen to.
Oh yeah, because it would be wrong of me to count out crappy nu-metal bands that have fu</>ck all to do with rock.

Hell, While we're at it, Evanescence is country, and if you disagree, it's because you don't like the band blah blah blaah, tinfoil hat, ubermensch...

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:32 AM
He's probably listening to people like the stakes and going "Oh my god, these gays aren't breeding with their siblings! They can't be country! Must be rock!!!!!"

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't know. I'm not the President of Music Classification. But yeah, we can have the country vs. rock argument allday. It will never end... although I'm right and you're wrong. :D

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:36 AM
BAH GAWD BAH GAWD!!!!!! STUNNER!!!!!!!!

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:37 AM
He's probably listening to people like the stakes and going "Oh my god, these gays aren't breeding with their siblings! They can't be country! Must be rock!!!!!"

Has a member of the band ever died of a drug overdose? I'm guessing they aren't rock if they haven't.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:38 AM
So Rap is rock?

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Could be... I don't know any rap bands.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised more country acts don't die of drug overdoses...You've gotta be pretty smashed to think your toothless sister is hot enough to stick your dick in...

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:45 AM
Shocking, huh?

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Naw, but it does explain the mental defects synonimous with country ign'r'nce.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 01:56 AM
:lol: You're a 'tard

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Yeah, because a Jeff Hardy fan says so.

BRB GUNA GO KILL MYSELF.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 02:00 AM
No, because you use lame stereotypes to try to bring down country because you are bitter that it's so much better than rock.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Yes, because your stereotype of me is so much more apt. :yes:

Good one, Cletus.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 02:05 AM
Stereotype of you? That you're a 'tard? This whole topic is one big piece of evidence of THAT. I've never heard anything about a country artist having mental defects or sleeping with family members or anything.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 02:09 AM
What, did you bury your head in the sand, or are you afflicted yourself? :lol:

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 02:10 AM
My "bitterness" at country's alleged "superiority."

A notion that pretty much proves your gene pool needs a little (Okay a lot of) chlorine.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 02:17 AM
I'm guessing you saw a topic that had "country" in it and just sh</>it your pants. The thought that someone likes a different kind of music that that unintelligible shi</>it you listen to drives you crazy doesn't it?

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Dammit, I told myself I wouldn't let you drag me into an argument. I failed. You are good.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 02:22 AM
:lol: Keep telling yourself that.

My mention of the fools, for example, was totally negative.

Yeah, because I don't like a couple of PoS artists you jerk off over despite lack of talent, I must have come in here because I'm jealous and can't stand people not listening to my "unintelligible shit."

Because I'm sure you're versed in what I listen to...Bet you brush up on it in between goes with the sheep, right?

Baaaaaaaaaa...

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 02:23 AM
I still gay love you KK.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 02:25 AM
:D

Vastardikai
04-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Personally, I dislike Toby Keith and Kenny Chesney for a different reason:

If you want a Country Singer that's a Patriot: check Lee Greenwood. He's something that Toby Keith isn't: SINCERE!

As for Kenny Chesney: He doesn't hold a candle to Hank Williams, Dwight Yoakem (sp?), George Strait, George Jones, Alabama (Though I have to forgive them for the Nsync cover), Verne Gosden (sp?), Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, OR Merle Haggard. Not to mention quite a few others that I'm neglecting to mention. Hell, compared to III, he's a joke. III brings together rednecks and metalheads. It's really only a matter of time until he gets the opportunity to combine the two genres he dabbles in and create something that changes music. What's Kenny Chesney to accomplish? Getting a bunch of teeny boppers to swoon over his muscular chest.

And as for Chesney being the Next Garth Brooks? Heh, Kenny Chesney is to Garth Brooks what Little Texas is to Alabama.

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 01:35 PM
I got my father a Dwight Yoakam (I don't remember the spelling either) set for Christmas. The guy's got skills (though he's not exactly my cup of tea...'Cept a few songs...).

Robert Goulet
04-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Lee Greenwood is patriotic and all... but I still prefer Toby as an artist. Toby might be milking the whole "I'm American, love me" thing but he atleast does other stuff. Unlike Lee who had semi-big patriotic hit, went away for 16 years and came back with the same song. Toby has some good non-patriotic songs.

His muscular chest aside, Kenny Chesney has recorded some of the best songs over the past decade or so (The Good Stuff, Alot of Things Different, How Forever Feels, That's Why I'm Here just to name a few.) And come on, you can't say the guy is bad because you don't think he compares to people like Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, and Johnny Cash, the man's not a legend or anything. And how Dwight Yoakham makes it on a list with those names is beyond me. He has some pretty good songs but he is nowhere near anyone else you mentioned. But give Kenny 10 more years or so and see where he ranks.

#1-norm-fan
04-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Personally, I dislike Toby Keith and Kenny Chesney for a different reason:

If you want a Country Singer that's a Patriot: check Lee Greenwood. He's something that Toby Keith isn't: SINCERE!

As for Kenny Chesney: He doesn't hold a candle to Hank Williams, Dwight Yoakem (sp?), George Strait, George Jones, Alabama (Though I have to forgive them for the Nsync cover), Verne Gosden (sp?), Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, OR Merle Haggard. Not to mention quite a few others that I'm neglecting to mention. Hell, compared to III, he's a joke. III brings together rednecks and metalheads. It's really only a matter of time until he gets the opportunity to combine the two genres he dabbles in and create something that changes music. What's Kenny Chesney to accomplish? Getting a bunch of teeny boppers to swoon over his muscular chest.

And as for Chesney being the Next Garth Brooks? Heh, Kenny Chesney is to Garth Brooks what Little Texas is to Alabama.

I'm not a fan of Toby Keith because he's a patriot. I was a fan of his before he started milking this whole "I'm American, love me" thing. He has some great non-patriotic songs if he could just get back to it.

Also, despite Kenny Chesney's muscular chest, he has released some of the best songs over the past decade or so (The Good Stuff, Alot of Things Different, How Forever Feels, That's Why I'm Here just to name a few). You can't say he's bad just because he doesn't compare to Georige Strait, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, or Hank Williams. That's basically like saying you have to be a legend to be good.

Also, how Dwight Yoakham made it on the list with those guys is beyond me. He has a few good song but wow... putting him in the same list as those other guys is almost sacreligious. Kenny Chesney deserves to be up there much more than he does. Besides, Kenny is much closer to Garth already than Little Texas ever was to Alabama.

DaveWadding
04-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Kenny Chesney will never be able to hold Garth Brooks' jock.

El Capitano Gatisto
04-28-2004, 07:56 PM
I like Bonnie Prince Billy.

Or rather his album "I See a Darkness".

Kane Knight
04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Kenny Chesney will never be able to hold Garth Brooks' jock.
Actually, it's prolly the job he's MOST qualified to do.

DaveWadding
04-28-2004, 08:49 PM
but comparing Kenney Chesney to Garth Brooks is like comparing sledge to Albert Einstein...

Vastardikai
04-29-2004, 12:14 AM
Also, how Dwight Yoakham made it on the list with those guys is beyond me. He has a few good song but wow... putting him in the same list as those other guys is almost sacreligious. Kenny Chesney deserves to be up there much more than he does. Besides, Kenny is much closer to Garth already than Little Texas ever was to Alabama.

Could it be that I wasn't intentionally listing legends, mayhaps? I like Dwight's sound, which is closer to the traditional sound. Maybe I should have picked Randy Travis? *shrugs* As for Kenny being closer to Garth, no. I've seen both do live performances: Garth is really High Energy, Kenny is just walking around doing the "Hook 'em Horns" sign (unless he was going for the devil sign, same thing, but it's different context...). I know, it's because Kenny Chesney doesn't look like a hair metal band reject, like all of Little Texas did. Chesney is instead doing an impression of Jimmy Buffet.

#1-norm-fan
04-29-2004, 03:56 AM
I have been to a Kenny Chesney concert and the man is entertaining. Garth's live performances can't be matched really but like I said... Kenny has released a ton of the best songs over the past few years which should count for something.

#1-norm-fan
04-29-2004, 03:58 AM
And I thought that was sarcasm but if you are really saying that Kenny is as close to Garth as Little Texas was to Alabama you are insane. Little Texas was pretty much the definition of "Flash in the pan".

Champion of Europa
09-06-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm bumping this because I find myself enjoying Hank III, Dwight Yoakam, and The Old 97s.

Pop country is shit.

Just John
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
DESERT ROSE BAND

I would say Stewart And Winfield, but they consider themselves "Y'all-ternative" bluegrass

ct2k
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Anyone wanna give me some artists/albums to check out for a beginner?

I've only listened to Garth Brooks and a few random other songs tbh so feel free to go nuts:D

DaveWadding
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Garth Brooks is great. Anything you can find is great. I like In Pieces, Fresh Horses, and No Fences the best though.

George Strait is really really good as well. If you could find his 50 #1 Hits collection, that's a great place to start.

Randy Travis - Old 8x10 is my favorite album, but find the Very Best of Randy Travis collection.

Clint Black - One Emotion is my favorite of his albums.

Alan Jackson - try to avoid his more recent stuff, but his pre-2000 output is good stuff.

Toby Keith - Any album before "Unleashed".

Kenny Chesney - Anything before No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems (when he tried to become a Buffett rip off)

Johnny Cash - Absolutely everything is great.

Kind of a short overview.

Kane Knight
09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Stone Coyotes.

Requiem
09-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Have I ever mentioned how much Downunder rules? I realize his comment was made 2 years ago, but it doesn't matter. Alan Jackson will always rule.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Nashville country/contempory country is a big bag of shit. Now alt.country, newgrass, and some folk stuff, are the goods.

Uncle Tupelo
Whiskeytown
Slobberbone
(early) Wilco
Son Volt
Slobberbone
Richmond Fontaine
NICKEL CREEK
The Duhks
Gillian Welch
Great lake Swimmers
Alison Krauss and Union Station (I know they are pretty much contempory country now, but Alison krauss has a voice like no other)
Mindy Smith
Abigail Washburn
Bellwether
The Bowmans (www.myspace.com/thebowmans)
Pinetop Seven

Chew on some of that, baby.

Skippord
09-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Good one, skippy. :yes:
You rang?